Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Baku GP Free Practice Sessions and Qualifying

Tomorrow it will be cooler so the set up for more DW of Ferrari should hand the pace adv to Seb
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

FerrariSteve Guest
    I will cross my fingers and hope Seb gets a good start and can keep his place. I fear if goldenboy gets the jump on Seb, he'll be gone fast.

Vettel was up in S1 but messed it up good with that lock up. I think we had at least 4 tenths here...

I do not think he would go far. Even in Melbourne, Lewis had a problem to get a big advantage. Only this will make life difficult for Sebastian.

My bet is botas will jump hamilton at the start and ham will be under pressure from redbull kimi has to keep in touch and play it smart manage his tyres run a good clean race and pounce when the opportunity arises sc will present opp vet will control the race he will pull away slowly we have 4 tenths advantage all he needs is a clean start and to hold track position my thoughts.

I suspect Ferrari calculated that the higher downforce was the fastest way around a single lap, but would most likely trim back to protect positions on the straights. So the Redbulls were fast on the corners and the Mercs were fast on the straights, so where were the Ferraris fast to be the outright quickest cars in the field?

It's amazing to think that we are faster than Merc even here at Baku. The team did such a great job catching up the amount they did last year, and it appears that they have done even better this year.

Quote Originally Posted by From Treviso View Post
    I suspect Ferrari calculated that the higher downforce was the fastest way around a single lap, but would most likely trim back to protect positions on the straights. So the Redbulls were fast on the corners and the Mercs were fast on the straights, so where were the Ferraris fast to be the outright quickest cars in the field?
    Hi Treviso, BTW that is such a lovely place, I have a really good friend from there. My opinion in answering your question is that we stomped Merc in S2 and, as Seb showed on his failed last attempt, he was also much faster in S1.

i have a question, it’s quite obvious that the teams are turning their engines down during free practice sessions, but do they still run on low engine modes when they do race pace runs in practice? ‘cause this would certainly mask the true race pace and i find it perplexing that people on other forums still base on these times to say that other teams are faster than Ferrari on their long runs..

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    i have a question, it’s quite obvious that the teams are turning their engines down during free practice sessions, but do they still run on low engine modes when they do race pace runs in practice? ‘cause this would certainly mask the true race pace and i find it perplexing that people on other forums still base on these times to say that other teams are faster than Ferrari on their long runs..
    Yes to some extent. Because, it’s fp3 where every team finds perfect balance & set-up pf car. Fp2 race pace sims are just for feel of the car & tyres during race day. Whatever data they gathered in fp2, they will fine tune that balance & set-up for quali & race day. So they will do any race laps on higher modes in fp2, just drive to the delta & occasionally for a lap or two they try higher mode.

I explained the same in my earlier post. In cooler conditions there are couple of variables,
    1) car which has high DF set-up while go Long distance on those tyres.
    2) easy to get those tyres under right window quickly

What puzzles me is are both cars on high DF set-up?? By doing so, according to my point1 team is committing to single stop. 2nd stop will be according to SC period.

Also during pit-stop, they can add or remove a wing if I’m not wrong for better final stint.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    I explained the same in my earlier post. In cooler conditions there are couple of variables,
    1) car which has high DF set-up while go Long distance on those tyres.
    2) easy to get those tyres under right window quickly

What puzzles me is are both cars on high DF set-up?? By doing so, according to my point1 team is committing to single stop. 2nd stop will be according to SC period.

Also during pit-stop, they can add or remove a wing if I’m not wrong for better final stint.
    My guess is everyone will start with the assumption of one stop.. TRy to delay first stop, so you can end the trace on 2nd set of tyres OR until there is a safety car. Put on soft tyres and see what happens.. Only if you see some start to struggle you can switch to 2nd stop or if there is another SC.. Which would then give a real race on US
    “The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few.” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Kristof_F40 View Post
    My guess is everyone will start with the assumption of one stop.. TRy to delay first stop, so you can end the trace on 2nd set of tyres OR until there is a safety car. Put on soft tyres and see what happens.. Only if you see some start to struggle you can switch to 2nd stop or if there is another SC.. Which would then give a real race on US
    Hmm yeah. But I’m worried about starting position on grid, if I’m not wrong seb starting on dirty side of track, Kimi on clean side.

Hmm yeah. But I’m worried about starting position on grid, if I’m not wrong seb starting on dirty side of track, Kimi on clean side.
    As we've seen lately, it's no guarantee if you start on clean side you start good or visa versa.. First corner is chaotic.. Mainly I just hope on a clean race, after China, where we lost so much because of Max... just some solid point for the team, and hopefully a win.. Problem is, I don't see Kimi making up a lot of ground, I love him, but his starts haven't been super.. Seb will need to do it all against 2 Mercs and 2 RBRs. We know for sure there will be a SC and the restart after that is not ideal.. If you look at Mercs top speed on the straight and also, remember last year RIC overtaking 3 (or4?) cars under braking after restart..
    “The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few.” ~ Enzo Ferrari

As we've seen lately, it's no guarantee if you start on clean side you start good or visa versa.. First corner is chaotic.. Mainly I just hope on a clean race, after China, where we lost so much because of Max... just some solid point for the team, and hopefully a win.. Problem is, I don't see Kimi making up a lot of ground, I love him, but his starts haven't been super.. Seb will need to do it all against 2 Mercs and 2 RBRs. We know for sure there will be a SC and the restart after that is not ideal.. If you look at Mercs top speed on the straight and also, remember last year RIC overtaking 3 (or4?) cars under braking after restart..
    But even Kimi doesn’t have good start, but with his tyres which has good grip compared to SS can overtake RBs on straight easily I think so. But overtaking mercs will be hard might be.

apparently wind in baku in crazy today, seen lots of pics and small clips, its wild :( its going to be extra hard for seb to beat 2 mercs and rb today :'(

https://twitter.com/TomClarksonF1/st...79233578426368
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

which side is dirty?, i think hamilton starts on the inside line, i checked 2016 and 2017 baku starts, and all cars on the inside line have advantage and try to torpedo the guys on the outside line in turn 1
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    apparently wind in baku in crazy today, seen lots of pics and small clips, its wild :( its going to be extra hard for seb to beat 2 mercs and rb today :'(

https://twitter.com/TomClarksonF1/st...79233578426368
    Why ? The wind only applies to seb?

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    which side is dirty?, i think hamilton starts on the inside line, i checked 2016 and 2017 baku starts, and all cars on the inside line have advantage and try to torpedo the guys on the outside line in turn 1
    Seb starting on right side, ham inside line(left side) of the grid.
    Inside line has more rubber layed think so.

Quote Originally Posted by bondilad View Post
    Yeah ... Everyone will be on the same line. T15 gonna be crucial to have better exit.

Quote Originally Posted by bondilad View Post
    No, but if Seb is leading, and these strong winds are headwinds, the slipstream and DRS will be even more effective!

No, but if Seb is leading, and these strong winds are headwinds, the slipstream and DRS will be even more effective!
    And then if they pass Seb has the same chance to get back ahead?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    And then if they pass Seb has the same chance to get back ahead?
    Yes, ofcourse, but I hope you do get the point that this wind will make it even harder for Seb to win? We don't need anything to happen in the race if Seb can keep the lead?. Would be nice if our main competitors get into trouble, but we don't need it. This wind can spice things up, which we don't need

Yes, ofcourse, but I hope you do get the point that this wind will make it even harder for Seb to win? We don't need anything to happen in the race if Seb can keep the lead?. Would be nice if our main competitors get into trouble, but we don't need it. This wind can spice things up, which we don't need
    All these variables leading to unpredictable season even if we get pole positions. Hmmm
    I think this will be difficult race for seb. If he gets on top of this, then there will be lot of confidence in the team.
    As far as kimi, I expect him to be on podium or even a surprise win.

Wind knocking down pit lane barriers....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Db72OfvWsAAYMIh.jpg

it wouldn't be surprising if there was a SC on the first lap. But if Seb gets a good start he can avoid any damage.

Scuderia Ferrari opted for rather High downforce compared to MB & RBR.
    Is High downforce an advantage if we expect strong wind during race?

All these variables leading to unpredictable season even if we get pole positions. Hmmm
    I think this will be difficult race for seb. If he gets on top of this, then there will be lot of confidence in the team.
    As far as kimi, I expect him to be on podium or even a surprise win.
    Yes a lot can happen.. Kimi could even have got 3 poles this season.. Merc could have won all races till now.. But all these things didn't happen..

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Dhont View Post
    Scuderia Ferrari opted for rather High downforce compared to MB & RBR.
    Is High downforce an advantage if we expect strong wind during race?
    Max said yesterday having higher downforce makes it even trickier in windy conditions