Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Spanish GP: RACE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    they had new diffuser. And little tweaks here and there on floor and suspension.

Merc are now reaching plateau of developement of the car.

Here ya go Rob.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdOvsNPX0AIK0_Z.jpg [rear diffuser W09 (Barcelona testing)]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdOv9FvWkAAtRwM.jpg (comparison between the old and new (Spanish GP)

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    People seem confused on this issue, they have not changed the tyres construction or added anything like they did in 2013 to stop the blow outs. They have taken 0.4mm off the tread for 3 races this year and have done the same for 2 races in the past then go back to the tyres with an extra 0.4mm of tread.
    I got ur point earlier itself. What I’m saying is, for example if you increase or decrease tyre pressure either by 1 or 2 psi. We have seen difference of impact which favours one team or the other.
    Now they have changed the tread of that tyre by 4mm, don’t you think it will make difference of performance ????

Action resumed for #Seb5 at #F1testing: hard and soft tyres in afternoon schedule per the Scuderia.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    I got ur point earlier itself. What I’m saying is, for example if you increase or decrease tyre pressure either by 1 or 2 psi. We have seen difference of impact which favours one team or the other.
    Now they have changed the tread of that tyre by 4mm, don’t you think it will make difference of performance ????
    It's 0.4mm

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    It's 0.4mm
    It’s hard to be that 0.4mm would make such a big difference
    But I guess when a car is designed with certain tires data parameters and all of a sudden it gets changed, well there you go, it affects it in a negative way
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

0.4mm and 4mm are the same thing surely coming to think about it.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    I think too much is being made of the tire change. But, you are completely right in that it only takes a very small change to have a significant impact. Pirelli's racing manager stated without the change the race would have been a "lottery" and implementing the change took away the uncertainty - making the result more certain. So I guess Pirelli got the certainty of result they tried to effect.
    For me I don't think it's good to have the tyre supplier trying to make the results certain, the lottery of having to deal with tire limitations should be addressed by teams in the car designs.
    I think Ferrari can still win both championships even with Pirelli changing tires to increase certainty.

0.4mm and 4mm are the same thing surely coming to think about it.
    What? Tell me you’re goking Greig
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    It’s hard to be that 0.4mm would make such a big difference
    But I guess when a car is designed with certain tires data parameters and all of a sudden it gets changed, well there you go, it affects it in a negative way
    yep, it's the difference in how much heat the tyre generates.....or does'nt generate.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    What? Tell me you’re goking Greig
    0.4 of a mm, come on lol that's like a piece of hair no way they took that off the tyres and it stopped blistering lol
    Forza Ferrari

0.4 of a mm, come on lol
    You know what, you may be right that it’s 4mm instead of 0.4mm
    Because the tires for Spain were supposed to be 1kg lighter ( someone mentioned that on this forum) and in order for Spain tires to be 1kg lighter they have to be 4mm off as opposed to 0.4mm me thinks.....because only shaving 0.4mm off them don’t think you would take 1kg off.....but of course I’m only speculating here

http://www.f1today.net/en/live/f1/23...t-at-barcelona

Look at Vettel's time. These are on the regular tyres right?

There's something rotten about the tires. Just ask the drivers.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Deephouse View Post
    http://www.f1today.net/en/live/f1/23...t-at-barcelona

Depends on fuel. That’s not a particularly impressive time, unless it was simulating a race stint - because we barely dipped below the 1:20’s...

Quote Originally Posted by Deephouse View Post
    www.f1today.net/en/live/f1/238594/follow-live-the-first-in-season-test-at-barcelona

Over a second slower than qual, not sure we can read much into it....as nobody will know the fuel loads or what we are testing.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by JPBD View Post
    Depends on fuel. That’s not a particularly impressive time, unless it was simulating a race stint - because we barely dipped below the 1:20’s...
    Deffo not race sim that's for sure
    Forza Ferrari

We should just ask Pirelli for changes of our own... that would be fun

Unless they only work for Merc nowadays...

Quote Originally Posted by jragona View Post
    We should just ask Pirelli for changes of our own... that would be fun

Unless they only work for Merc nowadays...
    Yeah like that’s gonna fly....they only help Mercedes mate and not Ferrari and WHY, because it’s Formula Mercedes along with the MIA

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    It's 0.4mm

Read somewhere that opponents want to clarify something about our energy deployment. Thought it was checked and found out to be legal? Can they not fathom that ferrari might actually build something FAST?

It's obviously 0,4 cm or 4 mm. That's the same thing. It can't be just 0,4 mm. That's like a sheet of paper almost.

True, judging by the times only it's impossible to say anything but at least Seb was faster than Hamilton. Maybe that says something?

0.4 of a mm, come on lol that's like a piece of hair no way they took that off the tyres and it stopped blistering lol
    0.4mm equals .010” which is approximately 10% of a racing tire outer surface.
    It is also a very large number in the manufacturing/engineering realm. We normally work to .002” tolerances, and consider .005” a wide tolerance. A feature that has .010” tolerance is what we deem to be clearance or non-essential. Any part with a .010” deviation goes right into the junk bin.

Saying a 0.4mm change is irrelevant is not a valid statement.

Barcelona testing day 1 results.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdQAO5pXUAAmTTc.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by The Hajj View Post
    0.4mm equals .010” which is approximately 10% of a racing tire outer surface.
    It is also a very large number in the manufacturing/engineering realm. We normally work to .002” tolerances, and consider .005” a wide tolerance. A feature that has .010” tolerance is what we deem to be clearance or non-essential. Any part with a .010” deviation goes right into the junk bin.

Saying a 0.4mm change is irrelevant is not a valid statement.
    Agree with you 100%. Could not have said any better.
    Also, I dont know if Pirelli increased the other compounds to make the tire the same circumference. If not, loosing .4mm in ride height can cause a change and change how the car behaves. I remember once Trulli was talking that he need a ride height lowered by a tenth, which is .1mm. So, if that has an effect, then can you imagine a .4 would do?? Also, Vettel said the tire was harder.

0.4mm change has the impact of 40% of change to ride height of the car to the surface that is a lot pirrelli are known globally for low profile tyres they are on a lot of european sports and sedan vehicles at the luxury end the p7 zero was a famous pirelli tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    0.4mm change has the impact of 40% of change to ride height of the car to the surface that is a lot pirrelli are known globally for low profile tyres they are on a lot of european sports and sedan vehicles at the luxury end the p7 zero was a famous pirelli tyre.
    Vettel just confirmed Pirelli was right to bring new tires

Apparently they got even worse blisters with older tyres (pre 0.4 reduction)

DdQELoeW0AIjM8l.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by F1NAC View Post
    Apparently they got even worse blisters with older tyres (pre 0.4 reduction)

DdQELoeW0AIjM8l.jpg
    Yup, so our pace could be because of the battery clampdown

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    Yup, so our pace could be because of the battery clampdown
    as far as I'm aware, power wasn't problem, our car basically chew tyres off

Quote Originally Posted by F1NAC View Post
    as far as I'm aware, power wasn't problem, our car basically chew tyres off
    I hope so, as I hope we will be fine with the old tires, but I'm not sure about either