View Poll Results: Charles Leclerc score points in 3/4 races . Can he earn a Ferrrari seat in 2019?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely yes

49 45.37%
  • Maybe yes

35 32.41%
  • Maybe no

11 10.19%
  • Definitely no

13 12.04%
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Charles Leclerc chances for Ferrari

I don't think that Max will come any time soon to Ferrari. He's the perfect choice only when Vettel retires or decides to leave Ferrari, not now and not next year. Unless Leclerc starts matching Vettel next year, I don't see him a great future champion, just a lap dog like Bottas.

Well, if Max comes to Ferrari next to Vettel then it will be a completely different story. They will eat each other, like Alonso / Hamilton did in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    I don't think that Max will come any time soon to Ferrari. He's the perfect choice only when Vettel retires or decides to leave Ferrari, not now and not next year. Unless Leclerc starts matching Vettel next year, I don't see him a great future champion, just a lap dog like Bottas.

Well, if Max comes to Ferrari next to Vettel then it will be a completely different story. They will eat each other, like Alonso / Hamilton did in 2007.
    To be honest I hated the kids guts, especially since he kept screwing our cars race after race and his sheer arrogance on track / team radio. But after Monza and the way he held Bottas with a wayyyy superior engine on his Mercedes I want him in a red car asap. I don't care if Vettel can't handle him, it's his problem to be fair. If JV is quicker then he will have 2 options, get better or suck it. We need the young kids daring moves, not afraid to try out of the ordinary moves. We always praise the special overtakings like Daniel, Alonso and so on. The latter are all taken/gone, JV will be available end of 2019 if Honda does not deliver.

Give Leclerc a chance. What did Verstappen do in the Toro Rosso that was so special?

Disappointed Since 2010

I think abig problem with trying Leclerc is that there isn't any going back. Replace Kimi with Leclerc and if he doesn't live up to the requirement then what? It's not like there would be a lot of uncontracted talent

Hamilton, Ricciardo, Bottas, Verstappen, even Sainz, Hulkenberg, Gasly are all contracted 19-20. Alonso is out, Kimi would be out and there is no solid replacement. Most promising young talent are already under contract to their respective programs. Giovinazzi hasn't been epic and would be a rookie.

You want to change Kimi because he was so weak he lost to Hamilton in a Mercedes but beating Bottas and vettel, to a guy who lost the same race to Sirotkin and Stroll driving cars from the worst team on grid this season. And no driver, even experienced are at their best the first season.

Both Kimi and Vettel want same things from the car, might that also have something to do with Ferrari improving each year with them paired?

Changing Kimi to Leclerc might be genius, but as likely it might hamper development of car and seriously damage chances for WCC for coming years. That's pretty big consequences for somebody that hasn't shined like Vettel or Verstappen or Lewis did in their rookie years, done based on a few good races and several meh
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Module View Post
    I think abig problem with trying Leclerc is that there isn't any going back. Replace Kimi with Leclerc and if he doesn't live up to the requirement then what? It's not like there would be a lot of uncontracted talent

Hamilton, Ricciardo, Bottas, Verstappen, even Sainz, Hulkenberg, Gasly are all contracted 19-20. Alonso is out, Kimi would be out and there is no solid replacement. Most promising young talent are already under contract to their respective programs. Giovinazzi hasn't been epic and would be a rookie.

You want to change Kimi because he was so weak he lost to Hamilton in a Mercedes but beating Bottas and vettel, to a guy who lost the same race to Sirotkin and Stroll driving cars from the worst team on grid this season. And no driver, even experienced are at their best the first season.

Both Kimi and Vettel want same things from the car, might that also have something to do with Ferrari improving each year with them paired?

Changing Kimi to Leclerc might be genius, but as likely it might hamper development of car and seriously damage chances for WCC for coming years. That's pretty big consequences for somebody that hasn't shined like Vettel or Verstappen or Lewis did in their rookie years, done based on a few good races and several meh
    We should keep Kimi forever, just in case.....is this your point?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    We should keep Kimi forever, just in case.....is this your point?
    https://www.gp-hub.com/f1-2019-drivers/

list.png

There you can see the choices. My point is thatFerrari has painted themselves in a corner by waiting too long. Looking at gp-hubs list of uncontracted drivers is very much looking at also 2020 uncontracted drivers, except then Kimi and Alonso would be truly gone.

In past month or two Bottas/Sainz/Hulkenberg/Ricciardo have all signed, all after long waits so they would all have been available. 2020 is the next time there truly is choice.

So signing Leclerc for next year essentially meens signing him for 2 years, based on 14 races, to drive alongside Vettel for world championship. Or they could make a 1+1 with Kimi who is solid and known, not affect development and team harmony, see if Leclerc is good for a whole season as he is slumping currently and if not aim for 2020 when they can build a whole new lineup.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Yeah drivers never move teams when they are signed to others.....
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Module View Post

Given the Sauber situation, they are helped with Ferrari engine that’s it. They don’t have budget like Williams.
    Where were u been when Leclerc literally held Alonso with his skills?? Wht abt, when he 1st time qualified into q3 ?
    He has driven ferrari car, did a good laptimes on equal with vettel.
    If u r comparing Leclerc performances with stroll & Sirotkin. Wt abt kimi with fastest car consistently not able to challenge ham, instead fighting with RB’s???

So don’t discount anyone. RB considered mad max for his performances at TR. In future, I think ferrari will definitely approach max.

Unfortunately Kimi lost to Lewis, Seb lost to all of them + . I lke to blame Pirelli more than Kimi's driving , blisters are there new middle name. Their making tyres for F1!! Pirelli stinks as F1 supplier; colors and all. Seb drove bad, Kimi needed a little help where the tyres hit the road. Kimi, Leclerc sounds right if anything. Kimi would even let the boy win a few if he was say on pole. Giovanazzi probably knows the cars abilities and team mentality more than Seb and Kimi for that matter. He lacks the track. Seb with RB was for the most part on pole and up front winning with his rocket. His mid track and heavy traffic experience was at a minimum. It seems to be coming back to haunt him. 2018 is still there for Ferrari!!
    Last edited by Brembo; 5th September 2018 at 05:48.

Apparently Thursday will be the announcement whether Kimi or Leclerc get the second seat at Ferrari, fingers crossed on Leclerc personally. Could see Kimi go to Sauber if he really wants to remain in F1, who knows they said the new Boss man is really close to kimi maybe he will keep him
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Here in Finland:

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    Apparently Thursday will be the announcement whether Kimi or Leclerc get the second seat at Ferrari, fingers crossed on Leclerc personally. Could see Kimi go to Sauber if he really wants to remain in F1, who knows they said the new Boss man is really close to kimi maybe he will keep him
    so Kimi could return to his first team Sauber? wow, talk about back to the future lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    so Kimi could return to his first team Sauber? wow, talk about back to the future lol
    and i always thought Kimi reminded me of Michael J Fox loooool! MV5BNmNiODFiNzItNGE1YS00YjZlLWI0YjctMmI0ODEwMjIyMzc5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjczOTE0MzM@._V1_.jpg

Just add a can of Coke and a Magnum

Quote Originally Posted by WRX202 View Post
    and i always thought Kimi reminded me of Michael J Fox loooool! MV5BNmNiODFiNzItNGE1YS00YjZlLWI0YjctMmI0ODEwMjIyMzc5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjczOTE0MzM@._V1_.jpg

Just add a can of Coke and a Magnum
    good one

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    lol maybe he'l stay another 20years, sauber next then mclaren etc
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!

Kimi needs to get a pole and a few podiums to show he's still got it. And calm down during interviews and his personal life. That's more important than driving! Some fans here believe that. Maybe Seb should start rapping if that's what it takes. Lewis won Monza!

Personally I want Kimi to stay at the expense of Charles. Another 2 years for Kimi would give time for Charles to go and become a proper racer, mentaly strong enough to carry on no matter the difficulties or the pressure a Ferrari driver will certainly encounter. If he comes now, in my opinion, Vettel will destroy him and make a Vandoorne out of him. Would have agreed for a Ricciardo 2 year tenure, before I believe Charles would be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    Personally I want Kimi to stay at the expense of Charles. Another 2 years for Kimi would give time for Charles to go and become a proper racer, mentaly strong enough to carry on no matter the difficulties or the pressure a Ferrari driver will certainly encounter. If he comes now, in my opinion, Vettel will destroy him and make a Vandoorne out of him. Would have agreed for a Ricciardo 2 year tenure, before I believe Charles would be ready.
    Not necessary, modern cars are not difficult to adapt from GP2 level, let alone mid field teams. Max showed that. Charles is ready, it doesn't mean he will beat Vettel or not, that depends upon his talent & caliber. I get it you want Kimi as you like him but the reasons you put forward are not valid

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    Not necessary, modern cars are not difficult to adapt from GP2 level, let alone mid field teams. Max showed that. Charles is ready, it doesn't mean he will beat Vettel or not, that depends upon his talent & caliber. I get it you want Kimi as you like him but the reasons you put forward are not valid
    My main reason is him being mentally strong enough to handle the pressure of driving for Ferrari. Your Max example is not valid, as he never drove for Ferrari(fans would have gone beserk here with all those DNFs). Don't start telling me RBR and Ferrari are the same thing, probably even their cleaning lady is a Ferrari fan. Ask Seb if he thinks there is a difference. As for Kimi, yes I like him, F1 will not be the same with him and Fernando gone, but like I said(you must have missed that, with your selective vision and whatnot) I would have went with Ricciardo over both Kimi and especially Charles.
    Last edited by IulianFerrari; 5th September 2018 at 17:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    +1

I can also see from Charles's interviews that he doesn't seem to have a fear of stepping up into a Ferrari seat, he always underlines that it's his dream.

Plus I remember that the team was very pleased when he set the fastest time in testing last year in Hungary, and also Seb mentioned how Charles provided immense help in finding the best setup for Singapore quali last year by staying for hours in the simulator. Also speaking of his mental strength, that race win in Baku in F2 only four days after his father passed away is something that remains in my memory.

You see many guys with talent but Charles seems to have a great dedication and desire to win to go along with it, and his life story so far just makes me think that he's the guy that Ferrari's been waiting for over 10 years now to deliver them a championship. But we'll see, I don't wanna sound too much biased towards him because he still has a lot to prove in F1. And I hope he'll do just that if he comes next year.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaria View Post
    +1

I can also see from Charles's interviews that he doesn't seem to have a fear of stepping up into a Ferrari seat, he always underlines that it's his dream.

Plus I remember that the team was very pleased when he set the fastest time in testing last year in Hungary, and also Seb mentioned how Charles provided immense help in finding the best setup for Singapore quali last year by staying for hours in the simulator. Also speaking of his mental strength, that race win in Baku in F2 only four days after his father passed away is something that remains in my memory.

You see many guys with talent but Charles seems to have a great dedication and desire to win to go along with it, and his life story so far just makes me think that he's the guy that Ferrari's been waiting for over 10 years now to deliver them a championship. But we'll see, I don't wanna sound too much biased towards him because he still has a lot to prove in F1. And I hope he'll do just that if he comes next year.
    Nailed it.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Unfortunately Kimi lost to Lewis, Seb lost to all of them + . I lke to blame Pirelli more than Kimi's driving , blisters are there new middle name. Their making tyres for F1!! Pirelli stinks as F1 supplier; colors and all. Seb drove bad, Kimi needed a little help where the tyres hit the road. Kimi, Leclerc sounds right if anything. Kimi would even let the boy win a few if he was say on pole. Giovanazzi probably knows the cars abilities and team mentality more than Seb and Kimi for that matter. He lacks the track. Seb with RB was for the most part on pole and up front winning with his rocket. His mid track and heavy traffic experience was at a minimum. It seems to be coming back to haunt him. 2018 is still there for Ferrari!!
    Are you kidding me? Kimi, 40yr old guy who hasnt won race for us in 5 years paired with rookie? Lol yea

Quote Originally Posted by aquaria View Post
    +1

Well said!, im hoping for leclerc, but also ready to be disappointed if it isnt.

His manager is Todt's son so he'l have good pull too hopefully lol

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    Give Leclerc a chance. What did Verstappen do in the Toro Rosso that was so special?
    The results speak for themselves. Constantly in the points in the second part of the season and most notably 2 x 4th place finishes. And he would have achieved a lot more if he wasn't so prone to crashes.

The results speak for themselves. Constantly in the points in the second part of the season and most notably 2 x 4th place finishes. And he would have achieved a lot more if he wasn't so prone to crashes.
    Verstappen's Toro Rosso was arguably more competitive than Leclerc's Sauber. Even still, he managed 6th in Baku. Leclerc is also a cleaner driver than Verstappen was at this stage of his career. For a rookie driver, Leclerc hasn't made many mistakes.

Disappointed Since 2010

So excited, either Kimi or Leclerc should be getting announced today or tomorrow as the driver for the 2019/2020 seasons, hopefully whoever it is, is part of a championship winning team the next two years with Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by darkchild View Post
    Are you kidding me? Kimi, 40yr old guy who hasnt won race for us in 5 years paired with rookie? Lol yea
    But he beats Seb! In Italy! Give Charlie boy a car with 1/2 an engine and see how he behaves. Lol yea, oh and , Charles move over like a good boy, it's Ferrari ! Kimi is being treated here by many fans almost as bad as Rubens. Not cool at all! The Ferrari fans need to move over and let both drivers pass as team members. How many fans moved over to Merc when Schumy drove and retired there? Lol ya!

i just realized, age difference between Kimi and Leclerc is almost exactly 18 years, Kimi could be his dad

La Gazzetta dello Sport today: Kimi out Leclerc in.