View Poll Results: Charles Leclerc score points in 3/4 races . Can he earn a Ferrrari seat in 2019?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely yes

49 45.37%
  • Maybe yes

35 32.41%
  • Maybe no

11 10.19%
  • Definitely no

13 12.04%
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Charles Leclerc chances for Ferrari

If the rumours are true Ferrari wants Kimi, but Leclerc has contract.
    Why would Leclerc force his contract if Ferrari wants Kimi? Leclerc knows he will get in a Ferrari, why not wait a year instead of forcing a contract..
    “The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few.” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Kristof_F40 View Post
    If the rumours are true Ferrari wants Kimi, but Leclerc has contract.
    Why would Leclerc force his contract if Ferrari wants Kimi? Leclerc knows he will get in a Ferrari, why not wait a year instead of forcing a contract..
    The main reason i think is because it was promised and was one of the last agreements sergio Marchonne had wanted before he passed. It wouldn'y be fair if they go back on a contract. I read that they want to make him wait another 2 years and thats probably the biggest reason. so much can happen in two years, he could be where sadly vandoorne is and under performing and probably wants to take the jump to ferrari while the opportunity is there.

apparently a new deal is finalized and he is relatively happy
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

feel bad for leclerc if they cancel his apparent contract made by the legend S.M but will also really miss kimi, maybe they can swap next year
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!

All the rumors today about Leclerc - Ferrari - Kimi, makes the race even harder now to manage it from Ferrari's perspective... I hope everything turns out good.
    “The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few.” ~ Enzo Ferrari

So here's the story per [Autobild]

So according to Autobild, it all started during the Canadian GP. Marchionne wanted Leclerc after that woman accused Kimi. Leclerc was supposed to be in Ferrari already in Spa. Autobild found out that Puma produced 4 race overalls for Charles. Lawyers met with Nicholas Todt.

[Autobild] Weeks after lawyers met with Nicholas Todt and the contract was made, Marchionne went to the hospital and died due to complications.. Now Kimi supporters such as Arrivabene, Vettel, Camilleri and Elkann want to keep Kimi.

[Autobild] Leclerc also has strong supporters like Jean Todt and Nicholas Todt. And Ferrari does not want to go against them. Mattia Binotto is also pro-Leclerc apparently.

[Autobild] Ferrari is currently in a dilemma. They don‘t want to lose their junior but also don‘t want to give him their red goddess yet. So they want to buy him out of his contract now and want to make the contract available for 2020. Insiders think that this is going to happen.

Today @ Monza (09-02-18)-->Ferrari chairman John Elkann has met with Sauber for the second time. Meeting with Vasseur. And the lawyer has been here since Friday. That lawyer is only seen when it comes to contracts. Charles Leclerc knows where he will drive and he is not happy but extremely happy.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DmFcvt2XgAIgkWp.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    Apparently ferrari are going to pay Leclerc compensation to keep kimi one more year but not yet decided
    If Charles asks for compensation he will never drive for Ferrari, me thinks. He has to play his cards right and agree with what the team has planned for him without fuss, just stick to driving the car. He hasnt been that impressive lately, he has less than half the points Gasly has, in what many consider, an inferior car. Ericsson is closing in on him on pace, considering how everybody beat ericsson as teammate, this raises some questions. That culminating with him being knocked out in Q1 here, while Stroll managed Q3 in a williams. Maybe all these rumors are getting to Charles as he is a young blood and only in his first year. Kimi isn't at Seb's level during a whole season, but who is?
    Last edited by IulianFerrari; 2nd September 2018 at 11:53.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    If Charles asks for compensation he will never drive for Ferrari, me thinks. He has to play his cards right and agree with what the team has planned for him without fuss, just stick to driving the car. He hasnt been that impressive lately, he has less than half the points Gasly has, in what many consider, an inferior car. Ericsson is closing in on him on pace, considering how everybody beat ericsson as teammate, this raises some questions. That culmination with him being knicked out in Q1 here.
    +1......he needs more time...2020 sounds about right.

Brazilian F1 journalist posted today the Leclerc is Ferrari driver for 2019. Official annauncement will take place sometime after this weekend. Probably next week.

Well, if a Brazilian F1 journalist posts such information about Ferrari contracts then it must be true.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

People saying the deal is done for leclerc to ferrari next year and will be announced after the gp

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    Well, if a Brazilian F1 journalist posts such information about Ferrari contracts then it must be true.
    He is not the only one.
    Forza Ferrari

Kinda hope leclerc signed with ferrari, next year will be sink or swim, if he gets along with the team and has the pace he will make a great replacement, mainly because he is young and has plenty time to be no1 driver later on. kimi ...he is fun to hear him comment he has some great one liners and was really fast 10 years ago

I have a feeling that, this may not be the usual Kimi replacement rumor.
    Feels like too many smokes now to not have a fire somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    I have a feeling that, this may not be the usual Kimi replacement rumor.
    Feels like too many smokes now to not have a fire somewhere.
    Only thing that tips me off is Ferrari not announcing Kimi right here, at Monza. If it was decided for Raikkonen to stay, it would have been announced here. Ferrari should not "raise" drivers, they have other teams for that. We should only get "cooked" drivers, so if Kimi is to be replaced, the decision to sign Leclerc and not Ricciardo is not a good one in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    What more proof do you need? Just take it to the bank

I'd sign Leclerc up Seb needs a kick in gear from a fast hungry teammate he's got too complacent recently and we need a driver that will take Points off Lewis to help Seb. Kimi hasn't finished infront of Lewis since China

Yes because Seb clearly can handle being beaten by his teammate
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

FerrariSteve Guest
    as this point I'm wondering if Kimi and Charles would be the better line up.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariSteve View Post
    as this point I'm wondering if Kimi and Charles would be the better line up.
    If Charles is the future of Ferrari yes. If Vettel can't manage Kimi being sometimes faster how would he do with a youngster?

But Vettel is the future for some years, so I believe they will re-sign Kimi so not to destabilize vettel
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Kimi is snail in race pace. Seb is hotheaded, but he is very fast, especially on race pace. With half of car missing today he was 7s behind Kimi after spinning in first lap doing one PS more.
    If Leclerc is faster then great, but its clear Kimi isnt. Guy cant win to save his life.

Funny how so people here are talking how charles is faster than kimi and how seb will be frustrated he can't beat him. Based on what? Him beating Ericsson? So did everybody he had as teammates and they are no longer in F1. It seems to me like people here think, any driver on the grid is better than what we have. But as a snail as Kimi is, he raced Hamilton, beat him to pole lost because of blistering and blew away Bottas all weekend. I'm sure that most of the drivers on the grid can do that. As for Seb, people forget how many wins he brought us and where we were when he joined and where we are now. Seb would take Leclerc to the cleaners at this point in their careers.

Funny how so people here are talking how charles is faster than kimi and how seb will be frustrated he can't beat him. Based on what? Him beating Ericsson? So did everybody he had as teammates and they are no longer in F1. It seems to me like people here think, any driver on the grid is better than what we have. But as a snail as Kimi is, he raced Hamilton, beat him to pole lost because of blistering and blew away Bottas all weekend. I'm sure that most of the drivers on the grid can do that. As for Seb, people forget how many wins he brought us and where we were when he joined and where we are now. Seb would take Leclerc to the cleaners at this point in their careers.
    How many times has Vettel screwed up when it mattered most though? I'm of the view that Ferrari should not only sign Leclerc as a Kimi replacement but primarily to replace Vettel in the near future who can't be counted on to close out a championship.

Quote Originally Posted by The Architect View Post
    How many times has Vettel screwed up when it mattered most though? I'm of the view that Ferrari should not only sign Leclerc as a Kimi replacement but primarily to replace Vettel in the near future who can't be counted on to close out a championship.
    You think Leclerc can be counted on to close out championships ?

You think Leclerc can be counted on to close out championships ?
    That remains to be seen. The underlying problem is that Vettel didn't make the most of last season and certainly isn't this season. If he isn't going to win a title against Hamilton, then why not roll the dice? Ferrari need Leclerc to make the impact Hamilton did when he entered F1.

To be honest after yesterdays race I want Jos Verstappen in a red car :) The ONLY nice part of the race was watching him keeping Bottas behind him. It's true that the older drivers get the less their bite is effective and it is why Ferrari might look into CL

That remains to be seen. The underlying problem is that Vettel didn't make the most of last season and certainly isn't this season. If he isn't going to win a title against Hamilton, then why not roll the dice? Ferrari need Leclerc to make the impact Hamilton did when he entered F1.
    I agree with this actually, but difference with Seb and Kimi is that Sebs race pace is devastating fast, and Kimi is nowhere more offten then not. That is why he hasnt won for 5 years now and cant get close to closing a race with a win while leading, let alone championship. Seb is fighting for championship with all his stupidity, Kimi is still 60pts of while driving "best" he has in his Ferrari years.

Any new news regarding this? excited for leclerc hopefully he can show pace immediately like Max and Seb did

Leclerc can barely beat Ericsson at this point. Like I said here many times, Gasly has more than double the points in an inferior car and you think Charles can beat Louise? That's a laughable supposition. If we decided Kimi should not stay we should have gotten Ricciardo.

Leclerc can barely beat Ericsson at this point. Like I said here many times, Gasly has more than double the points in an inferior car and you think Charles can beat Louise? That's a laughable supposition. If we decided Kimi should not stay we should have gotten Ricciardo.
    Amm most of pts Gasly gained was at beginning (bahrain) where STR was much better then Sauber. Leclerc is driving great, so if RB is giving chance to Gasly, why wouldn't we give to Leclerc? Kimi is absolutely out of the gate. Seb should have been as well. If it was up to Marchionne, I think both would be gone after yesterday. Alonso for Vettel, Leclerc in for Kimi.

Design team gave them everything and operationally, team ruined entire championship. Vettel with his mistakes, Kimi with him not having any pace on Sunday and team for being boneheaded beyond belief (while Merc does everything right).

Quote Originally Posted by darkchild View Post
    Amm most of pts Gasly gained was at beginning (bahrain) where STR was much better then Sauber. Leclerc is driving great, so if RB is giving chance to Gasly, why wouldn't we give to Leclerc? Kimi is absolutely out of the gate. Seb should have been as well. If it was up to Marchionne, I think both would be gone after yesterday. Alonso for Vettel, Leclerc in for Kimi.

Design team gave them everything and operationally, team ruined entire championship. Vettel with his mistakes, Kimi with him not having any pace on Sunday and team for being boneheaded beyond belief (while Merc does everything right).
    Like all top teams(including Renault), I am done with Fernando. No thank you. How is Leclerc driving great, explain it to me please, he's 15th in the WDC and getting knocked out in Q1. Is that what you want at Ferrari ? How is Kimi "absolutely out of the gate", by grabbing pole and finishing 2nd, being 3rd in the WDC? We can't just make a change for the sake of making a change. If it was Ricciardo than so be it, but Leclerc is not where we need him to be yet.
    Last edited by IulianFerrari; 3rd September 2018 at 09:12.