View Poll Results: Charles Leclerc score points in 3/4 races . Can he earn a Ferrrari seat in 2019?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely yes

49 45.37%
  • Maybe yes

35 32.41%
  • Maybe no

11 10.19%
  • Definitely no

13 12.04%
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Charles Leclerc chances for Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    Ferrari didn’t seen to mind showing him the door in 2009 and the team survived with only Alonso and Massa.
    The team survived 10 years without winning any championships too. They are clearly survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFerrari View Post
    Hold your horses gentlemen.

"Latest rumour out of Italy on Raikkonen's future. Leclerc is to delay joining Ferrari until 2020 and will stay at Sauber on the salary agreed for his contract at the Scuderia. One more year of learning the ropes for him and Kimi gets another year. Apparently, both Vettel and Arrivabene are pushing for this solution. Sauber said to be keen on a straightforward Raikkonen/Leclerc swap at the end of the 2019 season. Seems to make sense." - per Grand Prix Diary twitter
    Considering how badly the whole thing appears to be handled by the team if I were KR I would let them arrange and sign everything else ready and announce his retirement after 2018.

The team does not seem to want him, media does not seem to want him and this forum does not seem to want him. Why continue for one more year?
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    Considering how badly the whole thing appears to be handled by the team if I were KR I would let them arrange and sign everything else ready and announce his retirement after 2018.

The team does not seem to want him, media does not seem to want him and this forum does not seem to want him. Why continue for one more year?
    Probably watching us as we speak, you know how he just loves a gossip.

"Latest rumour out of Italy on Raikkonen's future. Leclerc is to delay joining Ferrari until 2020 and will stay at Sauber on the salary agreed for his contract at the Scuderia. One more year of learning the ropes for him and Kimi gets another year. Apparently, both Vettel and Arrivabene are pushing for this solution. Sauber said to be keen on a straightforward Raikkonen/Leclerc swap at the end of the 2019 season. Seems to make sense." - per Grand Prix Diary twitter
    Dull, dull, dull decision by Ferrari if this rumour is indeed true.

We can never know for sure now, of course, but I have the feeling that somehow none of this charade would be going down if Sergio Marchionne was still alive. It would have been Raikkonen out, Leclerc in. Simple as that - and as it should be.

Instead we have all this flip-flopping and a probable compromise, echoing the risk-averse, boring management approach that marred (and held back) the Scuderia for far too long and only too recently.

Agree again! Time to be bold. But Ferrari is not generally famed for its adventurous views..
    Trying to be less angry..

Quote Originally Posted by Vittorio View Post

We can never know for sure now, of course, but I have the feeling that somehow none of this charade would be going down if Sergio Marchionne was still alive. It would have been Raikkonen out, Leclerc in. Simple as that - and as it should be.

Instead we have all this flip-flopping and a probable compromise, echoing the risk-averse, boring management approach that marred (and held back) the Scuderia for far too long and only too recently.
    Well with CL not placing better than 10th in the last what? 10 races is it? Maybe Mr. Marchionne would have done the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Vittorio View Post

+1

I did watch one race last year and Leclerc was stunning, maybe best driving what I have seen, ever.
    He did start slowly this year, it takes time to learn everything, then getting better and better,and no mistakes, but now, I don`t know what to think.

My friend from Italy said that no news outlets there have reported anything similar to this, it's just a speculation from this Twitter page.

So a needless power struggle going on in the background, a needless discussion about their supporting drivers future going on since June. Why not doing it like Red Bull? Why not sort this out early?

Marchionne wanted Leclerc, why not respect his decision and move on. Raikkonen had his chances let Leclerc come in and develop.

Leclerc-Ericsson 5-3 when both finished.
    I don`t know, but does that look like you can jump to Ferrari.

Carlo Vanzini on Instagram:

Ci siamo .... tic tac tic tac.... è arrivata l'ora ... la decisione è stata definitivamente presa e firmata... quale?
    keep Calm & Wait and see ...  few days to know... #leavemealoneiknowwhatimdoing
    Part on italian: Time has come, the decision has been made and signed. Which one?

This is suggesting that Kimi will renew

Quote Originally Posted by aquaria View Post

Part on italian: Time has come, the decision has been made and signed. Which one?

This guy doesn't know anything. He said Ricciardo will sign with Redbull and said Kimi already said has signed in august, which we know it isn't the case. Strongest lead still seems to be that congratulations to Charles and then retracted because it wasn't official yet by Garage Italia. Still Ferrari have done a good job keeping this quiet, speculations run riot on thr social media.

Oh, I didn't know that... First time I hear about that guy, I hate reporters who just seek sensationalism without valid grounds for it.

But he'll for sure drag the hate of Kimi's fans if his post turns out to be false

If I had to decide, I would wait end of this season, and see if Leclerc does something phenomenal that shows that he is a superstar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...ries_Champions

Quote Originally Posted by aquaria View Post

lol this scared me. Hopefully it was just a cry for clicks etc. Neither Leclerc or Kimi are anywhere near maranello so either the deal was already done at monza or will be done at singapore imo.

I just feel ferrari needs to continue to be bold and take risks, we've seen at monza the way the team is racing right now isn't good enough both in teamwork and on the pitwall. New blood could really invigorate the no.2 position on the team, If leclerc is a beast and beats vettel, hooray finally an insanely good driver as the future of ferrari. If he is weaker than seb than he is exactly where kimi is, and they lost nothing and have plenty years to get even quicker and better with leclerc fully supporting seb instead of racing him and impeding each other when the WDC and WCC is already so close
    Last edited by mwk360; 9th September 2018 at 09:43.
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    If I had to decide, I would wait end of this season, and see if Leclerc does something phenomenal that shows that he is a superstar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...ries_Champions
    Seeing how he has delt with Fernando Alonso all season, his performance in testing, being less prone to mistakes than Verstappen, his qualifying pace, and finishing 6th in Baku, a track with a steep learning curve, is proof of his talent. Expecting him to work miracles in a Sauber is no different than expecting Alonso to work miracles in his McLaren when the top teams have substantially better cars. To get at least one point, he needs to at least finish behind Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull, Force India, Renault, and one Haas in his Sauber. Right now he has 13 points and many have unfair expectations.
    Last edited by Giallo 550; 9th September 2018 at 10:36.

Disappointed Since 2010

Seeing how he has delt with Fernando Alonso all season, his performance in testing, being less prone to mistakes than Verstappen, and finishing 6th in Baku is proof of his talent. Expecting him to work miracles in a Sauber is no different than expecting Alonso to work miracles in his McLaren when the top teams have substantially better cars. To get one point, he needs to beat Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull, Force India, Renault, and one Haas. Right now he has 13 points.
    Yeah, I know all that, but then again, races when both finished is 5-3, and Ericsson in my books should not even drive in F1.
    So, I should wait end of the season, if he really is talented new rising star, and almost equal with Ericsson is a big red flag at the moment, there has been other GP2 winners that was not so good, like Palmer, Maldonado, Vandoorne. I just mean that merits from GP2 does not mean anything, he must show in F1 that he has merits to drive Ferrari, and so far I am not so overly happy about his performance.
    But there are still 7 races, maybe ha can do some wonders, there is really no hurry to make decision.

Seeing how he has delt with Fernando Alonso all season, his performance in testing, being less prone to mistakes than Verstappen, his qualifying pace, and finishing 6th in Baku, a track with a steep learning curve, is proof of his talent. Expecting him to work miracles in a Sauber is no different than expecting Alonso to work miracles in his McLaren when the top teams have substantially better cars. To get at least one point, he needs to at least finish behind Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull, Force India, Renault, and one Haas in his Sauber. Right now he has 13 points and many have unfair expectations.
    A very fair assessment - I agree wholeheartedly.

Leclerc has done very well in his rookie year and outperformed his car on many occasions. He has shown he has talent - potentially a lot of it.

Of course we cannot know how he will fare in a Ferrari next year, if he does get the seat. But Ferrari needs to be brave and take a risk with him. Risk-taking is all about timing and context, and the time is now.

Yeah, I know all that, but then again, races when both finished is 5-3, and Ericsson in my books should not even drive in F1.
    So, I should wait end of the season, if he really is talented new rising star, and almost equal with Ericsson is a big red flag at the moment, there has been other GP2 winners that was not so good, like Palmer, Maldonado, Vandoorne. I just mean that merits from GP2 does not mean anything, he must show in F1 that he has merits to drive Ferrari, and so far I am not so overly happy about his performance.
    But there are still 7 races, maybe ha can do some wonders, there is really no hurry to make decision.
    You can’t hold his first couple of grand prixs against him. Regardless of whether it is Ericsson or not, Ericsson had four times the amount of experience Leclerc had in Formula 1 car.

Disappointed Since 2010

You can’t hold his first couple of grand prixs against him. Regardless of whether it is Ericsson or not, Ericsson had four times the amount of experience Leclerc had in Formula 1 car.
    I am just saying what I am thinking. And like I said, why hurry, we can wait and see rest of the races, and then we have more material to make better analysis. After all, we are talking about taking best seat in F1 without merits, that is risk taking, for sure.

I am just saying what I am thinking. And like I said, why hurry, we can wait and see rest of the races, and then we have more material to make better analysis. After all, we are talking about taking best seat in F1 without merits, that is risk taking, for sure.
    I don’t disagree, because even I second guessed him a bit after Bahrain, but his performance since those first two grand prixs speaks for itself.

This is a good rundown of everything up to France: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-...-ferrari-seat/

Disappointed Since 2010

Ericsson- Leclerc, yeah Ericsson has experience, but then again, he is just Ericsson.

Main.average_finish_position:
    12,33 11,60
    Main.average_grid_position:
    16,57 14,14

There's the teams, cars, Ferrari, Merc, then there's Max ! I wish Leclerc to be as mistakes prone as Max! I think it's Seb who's now on top with mistakes. Max in a Ferrari, Seb in his Red Bull. As they say in Monza, " Fagetabout it "

Ericsson- Leclerc, yeah Ericsson has experience, but then again, he is just Ericsson.

Main.average_finish_position:
    12,33 11,60
    Main.average_grid_position:
    16,57 14,14
    I mean, if you sat in Ferrari Top Dog Board, and saw these numbers, would you yell: HIRE HIM, he can barely beat Ericsson.

I mean, if you sat in Ferrari Top Dog Board, and saw these numbers, would you yell: HIRE HIM, he can barely beat Ericsson.
    “There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.”

My point is that your stats are skewed because you are including the first two times he has competed in a grand prix weekend. The performance gap would be much wider without them factored in, and to be honest, talking about how he did in April is irrelevant, because he is no longer the same driver. He has surpassed Ericsson by a wide margin and in a very short period of time.

And Sergio Machionne was probably shouting to get him hired.

Disappointed Since 2010

Last time when both finished was in Germany Ericsson P9 and Leclerc P15.

Last time when both finished was in Germany Ericsson P9 and Leclerc P15.
    And it was Leclerc’s first time finding the limits of an F1 car in the rain and the team botched his strategy. Ericsson also finished in front of Vettel. Does that mean Ericsson is better than Leclerc and that both are better than Vettel?

Disappointed Since 2010

And Leclerc’s first time finding the limits of an F1 car in the rain. Ericsson also finished in front of Vettel. Does that mean Ericsson is better than Leclerc and that both are better than Vettel?
    I mean, that if you want to drive for Ferrari, you have to have some merits, and even-steven with Ericsson is not a merit.
    I have not followed how Ericsson has driven before, but I am almost sure that he has been beaten by every team mate.

I mean, that if you want to drive for Ferrari, you have to have some merits, and even-steven with Ericsson is not a merit.
    I have not followed how Ericsson has driven before, but I am almost sure that he has been beaten by every team mate.
    He’s not even with Ericsson and I’m not sure why you keep proposing that he is. The points do not lie and everything I have written and referenced is rooted in fact.

Disappointed Since 2010