View Poll Results: Charles Leclerc score points in 3/4 races . Can he earn a Ferrrari seat in 2019?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely yes

49 45.37%
  • Maybe yes

35 32.41%
  • Maybe no

11 10.19%
  • Definitely no

13 12.04%
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Charles Leclerc chances for Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    I 've read this article, quite frankly it's grasping at straws. Everyone forgets that Kimi most likely wishes to retire, he's just plainly too old, and what he does this year is giving his all in order to retire with his head held high.

Should that be true, I don't really see what other option Ferrari has, but hiring Leclerc to be our #2 driver.
    There is no number 2 drivers in modern F1. You have to have two TOP drivers right on each other week in week out. Look at Merc, Hamilton and Rosberg, then Hamilton and Bottas. When Hamilton is not at his top game, Bottas is there every. single. time. Kimi? Almost never. RB? Probably best F1 pairing currently. Without them two, they would be nowhere.

Kimi, almost never, except when he's on the podium. Bottas is there every single time except when he's not!

Quote Originally Posted by darkchild View Post
    There is no number 2 drivers in modern F1. You have to have two TOP drivers right on each other week in week out. Look at Merc, Hamilton and Rosberg, then Hamilton and Bottas. When Hamilton is not at his top game, Bottas is there every. single. time. Kimi? Almost never. RB? Probably best F1 pairing currently. Without them two, they would be nowhere.

Mercedes and Ferrari are going for the championship. RedBull is not and has not since this hybrid era. The two top teams treat their drivers on different race strategies. RedBull does not hence they let both their drivers do whatever.

So yes, Vettel and Hamilton are #1. Kimi and Bottas are #2. Vettel gets the new updates, Kimi does not.

You wanna run it by Ferrari management?
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Kimi, almost never, except when he's on the podium. Bottas is there every single time except when he's not!
    Well were was Kimi last year? Where was Kimi ANYTIME this year when Hamilton won? Bottas won 3 times last year, and took serious points of Vettel in China and Baku this year. Had he not crashed in Germany, there too. Wheres Vettel comfortably qualified on pole, Kimi made mistake and Bottas was there to go after Vettel for nth time.

Fact is, Kimi has been nowhere when battle for first position was on. He hasnt gotten ahead of his Q place in last 28 races. He hasnt won single one for Ferrari since he got here, Vettel has double digit.

Truth is, our driver pairing is weaker then that of other top teams. RBs and Mercs "2nd" drivers are better then Kimi, and same goes for lead drivers compared to Seb. Not like Seb is unbeatable mind you, he is underdelivering this year and while last year he was great, he made 2 crucial mistakes and gave it away.

Well were was Kimi last year? Where was Kimi ANYTIME this year when Hamilton won? Bottas won 3 times last year, and took serious points of Vettel in China and Baku this year. Had he not crashed in Germany, there too. Wheres Vettel comfortably qualified on pole, Kimi made mistake and Bottas was there to go after Vettel for nth time.

Fact is, Kimi has been nowhere when battle for first position was on. He hasnt gotten ahead of his Q place in last 28 races. He hasnt won single one for Ferrari since he got here, Vettel has double digit.

Truth is, our driver pairing is weaker then that of other top teams. RBs and Mercs "2nd" drivers are better then Kimi, and same goes for lead drivers compared to Seb. Not like Seb is unbeatable mind you, he is underdelivering this year and while last year he was great, he made 2 crucial mistakes and gave it away.
    Just shut up already or are you not done bashing our drivers? Seb has shown us he is as good as any driver, your "hero" Lewis didnt pass a single top 3 car to win in Germany. And what about those great other drivers: Bottas and RBR, how can they be behind Kimi in the WDC? A Kimi with 2DNF's by no fault of his own, unlike Verstappen who has visited every wall that winked at him, in what many say to be the most planted car in F1. Like it or not, they are here to stay, this season at least. So you can either cheer for them, or visit another forum to cheer for other drivers.

Again, Kimi is on a different race strategy than Seb. Kimi does'nt make those decisions, the pit wall does. He's been on the podium for 2018 most of the time WHEN HE'S RACING except for 2x where he's been 4th and 6th and 2 DNF's. Plus he's been right up there with Seb in qualifying most of the time in an "inferior car" when compared to Seb.

Also, your analogy of Lewis and Rosberg (2016)(Mercedes) against Max & Ricciardo (RedBull) "Probably best F1 pairing currently" is wrong. Why???

Mercedes (2016): Rosberg got tired of being the "backup man" "rear gunner" or whatever but let's call it what it is: a #2 driver for Lewis. He went against Mercedes driver strategy and thought about himself instead of Mercedes.....hat's off to him, he has a WDC title but guess what?? He did'nt get a contract renewal whether if it was: 1) He wanted out once he got his WDC title because "I will never win one if I keep following Mercedes orders" ideology or 2) Mercedes felt like he was being selfish for himself instead of looking out for the team; and look how that year went, while exciting for the fans, it was explosive for Mercedes as both drivers clashed....costing the team pts per race (can't do that now because Mercedes and Ferrari are so tight but that's not how Mercedes saw it back then-->they want to maximize as many pts as possible per driver with a #1 and a #2). You CANNOT have 2 top drivers(both type A personalties) on a top team gunning for the WDC title....it does not work.

RedBull has a different race strategy for its 2 drivers than Ferrari or Mercedes. They know they are not going to win any titles in this hybrid era so RedBull let's both their drivers race. Aside from it's pairing of current drivers, they have the best chassis and aero on the field which is why Ferrari and Mercedes WILL NOT give them their engines. Imagine an RB14, or for that matter any of it's past variants in this hybrid era, with a Mercedes or Ferrari engine.....scary...and that's why neither team will sell them their engines...so they are stuck with Renault....moving to Honda. If RedBull was to get a Ferrari or Mercedes engine then IMO, we would see a different race strategy between their 2 drivers. Let's say Honda get it's act together in 2019 (currently, they are using STR as a test bed, swapping out almost every engine in every GP to send back to Japan for a complete teardown) Why??? 1) they are'nt going to win any titles 2) they want to be ready for RedBull and 3) because they have the money for it and they don't care 4) they don't give up after all the humiliation). If Honda performs for RedBull in 2019 and starts taking away pts from Ferrari or Mercedes, then yes, RedBull would definitely have to change it driver strategy to a #1 and a #2.

One more thing: get used to having Kimi around for 2019....there is a high probability it might go that way. LeClerc to HAAS-->he needs more time in a mid-field car to prep him for the "big boys" seat.
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 28th July 2018 at 18:46.

JG 6, that is the best post yet!! All true facts. Your at 2018! Forget 10 yrs. ago, and so on. Ferrari needs this next win, it rains on all drivers. 10 yr. old stats etc. mean Zero!

You people are embarassing. Your own hero was shoved in top team from Sauber to McL mid season when he was kid, and now Im hearing "Ferrari needs stability, let Leclerc race for a year or two more in Haas". No. No. No need for driver driving best car of a bunch and not getting close to a single win. No poles. No win. No gained places at start. No nothing. Him brinigng car in 3rd is the best he can manage? Well thats worse thing this car is capable of. I dont care, bring Ricciarso or anyone else, if they fail to win it this season it firmly goes to drivers, as they messed up quite a few points and Q3s in Kimis case.

You people are embarassing. Your own hero was shoved in top team from Sauber to McL mid season when he was kid, and now Im hearing "Ferrari needs stability, let Leclerc race for a year or two more in Haas". No. No. No need for driver driving best car of a bunch and not getting close to a single win. No poles. No win. No gained places at start. No nothing. Him brinigng car in 3rd is the best he can manage? Well thats worse thing this car is capable of. I dont care, bring Ricciarso or anyone else, if they fail to win it this season it firmly goes to drivers, as they messed up quite a few points and Q3s in Kimis case.
    What if they don't fail. What if we win both titles? Will that shut you up? Of course not...

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    What if they don't fail. What if we win both titles? Will that shut you up? Of course not...
    I am not going to have an argument with fanboys. You are fan of Kimi, I am fan of Ferrari. For me, Vettel had some big big mess ups last year and this as well (Baku, Hockenheim), but at least he has what,12 wins and 11 poles to his count in Ferrari. Yet you can argue he under-delivered as well.

Kimi, to ilustrate it to you, has not gained a SINGLE PLACE at start of a race for 27 races straight. He has been on pole one single time, and bar Monaco last year(where he wasn't even fastest in the race) never looked like winning the race in his 5 seasons here. Is that enough for car that quite obviously is best car on average this year? No, no its not. Why do we need to continue with a 40yr old guy that is 10-2 in qualifying against a guy that got beaten by Ric (and who is now getting beaten by Max)? Because he has chock full of fanboys who like his persona and would love it if he was racing till his mid 50s?

Marchionne passing away might actually mean he stays, but that would be such a disappointment. If it wasn't for Sergio and his ability to clean up the old guard and give new, young blood, a chance, this team would still struggle I have no doubts. But lets continue on with what we got. Alonso last year wins the championship with SF70H, this year? He takes it with ease. Our problem is there are 3-4 faster and less error prone guys on grid then Vettel, and there are twice as much of those deserving Kimi's seat.

Kimi is having one of his best season in terms of results and dark child somehow sees it otherwise, come on now, your game is evident.

I like how he focuses on the Negatives, totally ignores the bad luck Kimi got and just straight up creates and opinion which wrong at its core.

The 40 year old guy just finished 5th podium in a row got less than 50 points behind our main driver and is head of our competitor driver helping us w to win WCC.

Your hate for him is so damn evident and baseless.

Who the hell cares about him gaining at the start when he does well durring race and wins up points.

Seriously, we dont like people that promote hating our drivers,enough of this.

P.S RIC isnt getting beaten by VER despite his crappy luck whole season.

Why do you even bother responding to so pathetic posts?

First you are not a Ferrari fan , you are an Alonso fan. Alonso wins last year with ease. Right...he couldn't handle a rookie Hamilton in the same car but he was going to beat him in a faster and reliable Merc last year. The guy hasn't won squad in 12 years and no top team is even interested in him despite there were many opportunities in the last few years at Merc, Ferrari and RBR.

Quote Originally Posted by DelMar View Post
    First you are not a Ferrari fan , you are an Alonso fan. Alonso wins last year with ease. Right...he couldn't handle a rookie Hamilton in the same car but he was going to beat him in a faster and reliable Merc last year. The guy hasn't won squad in 12 years and no top team is even interested in him despite there were many opportunities in the last few years at Merc, Ferrari and RBR.
    First of all, no, I am not Alonso fan. If you are willing to go through my posts, I was very happy that we got Vettel since I think he is much better guy to build a team around. I also do not think Alonso is the best in F1, I do think Ricciardo or Max would be sufficient.

Other point is, no, Hamilton is not driving faster car this year. He matched Alonso in SAME car, but I do not think Alonso crashes in Baku or Germany, nor he ends up 4th in rain in Hungaroring. In any case, if anything, I am pure and simply Ferrari fan and Ferrari engineers have made masterpiece that is not being used properly. We literally have a car that has given competition such a headache that they are constantly on hot line with FIA. And what do our drivers do? Kimi finishes 3rd again, by losing another place at a start for 28 races in a row, and Vettel, after losing 42pts in Baku and Germany, qualifies 4th in rain after being overpowering in dry.

People are not even remotely arguing my points.

What the hell is this?

Kimi is having one of his best season in terms of results and dark child somehow sees it otherwise, come on now, your game is evident.
    How? He is 53pts behind Vettel, and 67 behind Hamilton. He has not won a single race in his stint with Ferrari. EVERY. SINGLE. TOP. SIX. DRIVER. HAS. AT. LEAST. THREE. WINS. ON. THEIR. COUNT. Except Kimi ofcourse, he has none. Zlich. Nada. Zero.

He only had one single pole position. He hasn't won a place from start since 2016. That is shambolic. He was a passenger last year, even Bottas won 3 and could have taken 2 races this year but had literal freak accident in Baku and strat error in China while passing Vettel and leading the race. But he PUT HIMSELF in that position. In position to win. When did Kimi put himself in position to win this year? When was he there to chase Hamilton and Bottas like mad dog when Vettel wasn't there? Never. With him, Merc is safe. There is no fear. He will finish 3rd at best and his fans will love it. They will say, like LivingHitokiri said - he is having best season in long time. He is 40, what more do you want? Well, for start, I want Ferrari to be at top of their game in every single dept. If we are to win championship we cannot do it by having fractionally fastest car only. Drivers need to be at their absolute best, as well as strat team.

For Sergio, Kimi was a goner. Now? Well new boss is good with his family so he will stay. Had it not been for Sergio, we would still have Tombazis and Pat Fry. Why not? They are solid technical leads, we need stability for Christ sake.

In any case, Kimi got his seat straight out of Sauber as a young buck. Now his fans want him to drive till he is 50 and Leclerc to "learn a bit more and mature", but its for purely selfish reasons. They want him to stay because they like Kimi, not seeing that this guy spent half his life on the grid and is currently oldest guy here, while Leclerc is one of the most promising young drivers with Max since long long time, but yea, lets go with standard option, we need stability. 3rd is great. What does it matter if he hasn't won single place in full 2 years? He is clean driver and gets points home. Sheesh...

First of all, no, I am not Alonso fan. If you are willing to go through my posts, I was very happy that we got Vettel since I think he is much better guy to build a team around. I also do not think Alonso is the best in F1, I do think Ricciardo or Max would be sufficient.

Other point is, no, Hamilton is not driving faster car this year. He matched Alonso in SAME car, but I do not think Alonso crashes in Baku or Germany, nor he ends up 4th in rain in Hungaroring. In any case, if anything, I am pure and simply Ferrari fan and Ferrari engineers have made masterpiece that is not being used properly. We literally have a car that has given competition such a headache that they are constantly on hot line with FIA. And what do our drivers do? Kimi finishes 3rd again, by losing another place at a start for 28 races in a row, and Vettel, after losing 42pts in Baku and Germany, qualifies 4th in rain after being overpowering in dry.

People are not even remotely arguing my points.

What the hell is this?

How? He is 53pts behind Vettel, and 67 behind Hamilton. He has not won a single race in his stint with Ferrari. EVERY. SINGLE. TOP. SIX. DRIVER. HAS. AT. LEAST. THREE. WINS. ON. THEIR. COUNT. Except Kimi ofcourse, he has none. Zlich. Nada. Zero.

He only had one single pole position. He hasn't won a place from start since 2016. That is shambolic. He was a passenger last year, even Bottas won 3 and could have taken 2 races this year but had literal freak accident in Baku and strat error in China while passing Vettel and leading the race. But he PUT HIMSELF in that position. In position to win. When did Kimi put himself in position to win this year? When was he there to chase Hamilton and Bottas like mad dog when Vettel wasn't there? Never. With him, Merc is safe. There is no fear. He will finish 3rd at best and his fans will love it. They will say, like LivingHitokiri said - he is having best season in long time. He is 40, what more do you want? Well, for start, I want Ferrari to be at top of their game in every single dept. If we are to win championship we cannot do it by having fractionally fastest car only. Drivers need to be at their absolute best, as well as strat team.

For Sergio, Kimi was a goner. Now? Well new boss is good with his family so he will stay. Had it not been for Sergio, we would still have Tombazis and Pat Fry. Why not? They are solid technical leads, we need stability for Christ sake.

In any case, Kimi got his seat straight out of Sauber as a young buck. Now his fans want him to drive till he is 50 and Leclerc to "learn a bit more and mature", but its for purely selfish reasons. They want him to stay because they like Kimi, not seeing that this guy spent half his life on the grid and is currently oldest guy here, while Leclerc is one of the most promising young drivers with Max since long long time, but yea, lets go with standard option, we need stability. 3rd is great. What does it matter if he hasn't won single place in full 2 years? He is clean driver and gets points home. Sheesh...

Do you not think Seb has a say in the matter when it comes to Kimi regardless if SM was alive today??? I'm sure Arrivabene does too??? Kimi is currently in 3rd place and 14 pts ahead of Bottas. He had no water since the team forgot to hook up his water bottle, it was 50 degrees C out on the track, with full gear and helmet and he's 38 doing 70 laps.....he's fit and performing better than he's had because he finally has the equipment to do it given how Ferrari positions him out on the race track.

Ferrari is not the one not positioning him on front row, its Kimi himself. Ferrari is not the one who loses him places at start for 2 years straight. And no, no water does not mean you retire. Ericsson is driving with no water for last 2 years to save weight. Hamilton lost water last year, it will be harder but nothing to cry about.

Simply put, Kimo hasnt put himself in position to win in 5 years. Only once, in Monaco, where Seb was in his DRS until he was in free air and put himself ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Do you not think Seb has a say in the matter when it comes to Kimi regardless if SM was alive today??? I'm sure Arrivabene does too??? Kimi is currently in 3rd place and 14 pts ahead of Bottas. He had no water since the team forgot to hook up his water bottle, it was 50 degrees C out on the track, with full gear and helmet and he's 38 doing 70 laps.....he's fit and performing better than he's had because he finally has the equipment to do it given how Ferrari positions him out on the race track.
    Don't even bother with guys like this. He already knows that Kimi would be a goner if Sergio was still with us, like he was every year... Yet he is still here. The problem with this kind of guys is that he only sees the bad in our guys and the good in others. He wants Verstappen instead of Seb. A Max who has wrecked more cars than the whole field put together. But that is not important for him. Wonder if Max comes to Ferrari and starts with DNFs, Kimi's 3rd place and Seb's 2nd will look great. Why Seb got 4th in the rain? Why Max got 7th, Ricciardo 12th and Charles got beaten by the slowest driver in F1 in the same car? Leclerc has to beat a good driver in the same car and then come to Ferrari, he is showing great potential.

Ferrari is not the one not positioning him on front row, its Kimi himself. Ferrari is not the one who loses him places at start for 2 years straight. And no, no water does not mean you retire. Ericsson is driving with no water for last 2 years to save weight. Hamilton lost water last year, it will be harder but nothing to cry about.

Simply put, Kimo hasnt put himself in position to win in 5 years. Only once, in Monaco, where Seb was in his DRS until he was in free air and put himself ahead.

Mercedes dominated the last 4yrs in this hybrid era. How is Kimi or for that matter Vettel supposed to win against that dominance????

Mercedes dominated the last 4yrs in this hybrid era. How is Kimi or for that matter Vettel supposed to win against that dominance????
    Well, Seb was close last year. Few brainfarts and horrible reliability on tracks where he would almost certainly be 1st and 2nd put him out of contention.

Point is, Seb won in 2015 as well. He put it on pole in Singapore and drove to win it. In Malaysia as well. What did Kimi do? In any of these year he hasnt looked like winning once. People are literally praying for him to win again after so long, while Seb is delivering wins regulary, with same car (yet still deserves criticism for few of his drives)

Well, Seb was close last year. Few brainfarts and horrible reliability on tracks where he would almost certainly be 1st and 2nd put him out of contention.

exactly....... happens to either Seb or Kimi.

He is behind 43 points and he had 2 retirements totally not his fault and out of all races this year that he finished which are 10 ( 12 in total 2 retirements) he finished 8 times on podium out of 10, thats Fantastic result not matter who it is. yes Victory matters but you gather points besides winning and he is doing great this year for that.

How the hell you know Sergio wanted Kimi out, if he wanted him out he would've got rid of him last yer or year before,stop assuming nonsense just because enforces your baseless opinion.

AGAIN, WHO THE HELL CARES HOW HE STARTS WHEN HE FINISHES WELL. I dont if he starts lasts where he finishes matters. Stop nitpicking stuff that are irrelevant.

No his fans and other Ferrari fans want him to drive because he deserves it and proved himself, something you refuse to believe.

Not only you bash our last champion but you also bash the guys like Tobazis and Fry who were responsible for our most dominating years in F1, come on now.

Lecrec is promising but he needs time and thats a fact he is making silly mistakes here and there and lacks experience its evident on track.

Lecrec got 13 points and his main competitor is Marcus Ericsson for the god of love. He has shown flashes of very good talent but getting ahead of ourselves if you think he is anywhere near the top drivers.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by LivingHitokiri View Post
    He is behind 43 points and he had 2 retirements totally not his fault and out of all races this year that he finished which are 10 ( 12 in total 2 retirements) he finished 8 times on podium out of 10, thats Fantastic result not matter who it is. yes Victory matters but you gather points besides winning and he is doing great this year for that.

How the hell you know Sergio wanted Kimi out, if he wanted him out he would've got rid of him last yer or year before,stop assuming nonsense just because enforces your baseless opinion.

AGAIN, WHO THE HELL CARES HOW HE STARTS WHEN HE FINISHES WELL. I dont if he starts lasts where he finishes matters. Stop nitpicking stuff that are irrelevant.

No his fans and other Ferrari fans want him to drive because he deserves it and proved himself, something you refuse to believe.

Not only you bash our last champion but you also bash the guys like Tobazis and Fry who were responsible for our most dominating years in F1, come on now.

Lecrec is promising but he needs time and thats a fact he is making silly mistakes here and there and lacks experience its evident on track.

Lecrec got 13 points and his main competitor is Marcus Ericsson for the god of love. He has shown flashes of very good talent but getting ahead of ourselves if you think he is anywhere near the top drivers.
    Mate, you are completley out of your depth. Take a chill pill and reply with an argument. You literally said "who cares where he starts when he finishes well". Well what does it mean "Finishes well"? Start 3rd and end up 3rd? Start 4th lose position and end up 3rd? Are you kidding me?

He is 40. Doesn't have single win to his name. Has 43pts less then Vettel who went into barriers last race, thrown away race win in Baku, got decimated by Max in China and had 5 place grid penalty in Austria. That is still 43pts less, after Seb had scrappy year and very little luck when running at front.

Wake up, Kimi has led 1.88% laps this year. Less then every single driver out from top 3 teams. Comfortably less. He can't gain position at start to save his life. He hasn't been on pole with this years car. He took one single front row start and he lost 2 places in T1. What are we talking about here? Leclerc has puny 13pts? Well his teammate has 1/3rd of it. He is only guy, alongside Alonso and soon Vettel, who dominated his teammate so much in Q that by half of season he has matematically won that duel for this season. Kimi went from Sauber as a kid, mid season, straight into McLaren. Why does Leclerc have to wait? because some of you love Kimi so much that you would have him driving in Ferrari for another decade?

Sergio literally said last year to both of them, pick your speed up or you are out. He told it pretty clear, google it. He is not the one who accepts mediocrity, thats for sure, and not winning a single race in 5 years, when your teammate has won double digits, is mediocrity at best.

As for bolded part, I'm not even going to reply on that. You can go to jamesallenonf1 and google "Newey on Tombazis and Fry". You will understand why even back in 2011 it seemed like absolute horrid decision to make those two deciding on design of our cars.

Mate, you are completley out of your depth. Take a chill pill and reply with an argument. You literally said "who cares where he starts when he finishes well". Well what does it mean "Finishes well"? Start 3rd and end up 3rd? Start 4th lose position and end up 3rd? Are you kidding me?

He is 40. Doesn't have single win to his name. Has 43pts less then Vettel who went into barriers last race, thrown away race win in Baku, got decimated by Max in China and had 5 place grid penalty in Austria. That is still 43pts less, after Seb had scrappy year and very little luck when running at front.

Wake up, Kimi has led 1.88% laps this year. Less then every single driver out from top 3 teams. Comfortably less. He can't gain position at start to save his life. He hasn't been on pole with this years car. He took one single front row start and he lost 2 places in T1. What are we talking about here? Leclerc has puny 13pts? Well his teammate has 1/3rd of it. He is only guy, alongside Alonso and soon Vettel, who dominated his teammate so much in Q that by half of season he has matematically won that duel for this season. Kimi went from Sauber as a kid, mid season, straight into McLaren. Why does Leclerc have to wait? because some of you love Kimi so much that you would have him driving in Ferrari for another decade?

Sergio literally said last year to both of them, pick your speed up or you are out. He told it pretty clear, google it. He is not the one who accepts mediocrity, thats for sure, and not winning a single race in 5 years, when your teammate has won double digits, is mediocrity at best.

As for bolded part, I'm not even going to reply on that. You can go to jamesallenonf1 and google "Newey on Tombazis and Fry". You will understand why even back in 2011 it seemed like absolute horrid decision to make those two deciding on design of our cars.

You have no idea what it means to be a number #2 driver for Ferrari. Ask Rubens Barrichello. It's knowing that you will never win a WDC title. It's one thing to drive for Ferrari in an F1 car....most here would consider that a life long dream....it's completely different driving for Ferrari and winning a WDC title. Heck, driving for any team and winning a WDC title in F1 is a life long dream for many drivers. A WDC title you take with you no matter what team you end up with......not so much for a WCC title....that stays with the manufacturer. It psychologically and spiritually drains you as an F1 driver knowing a WDC title is not within reach, even with a dominant car knowing that a dominant driver is in front of you. A number 2 driver is an undesirable and un-noticed service for the masses....not to F1 fanatics like me. Nico got tired of if and did something about it knowing he and his actions would end his career.

Sure, Seb has one some races within the Mercedes domination and even Max but all at the mis-fortunes of Mercedes whether it be reliabilty issues or both Mercedes drivers taking each other out.

Mercedes has been dominant since the intro. of this hybrid era. Throw in the token system (2014 ended 2016 into 2017) which stagnated developement to other teams while Mercedes had a clear 2yr headstart and you have "mediocrity" from other teams. Then 2017 rolls around ending the token system and Ferrari picked up the pace till the last half of the season along with management changes within the F1 organization-->albeit SM making those changes. Now we are at 2018 and Ferrari has definitely picked up the pace with a car that can run with Mercedes along with a junior B-team.....at times we "shoot ourselves in the foot" when it comes to the pit wall.....along with Mercedes who foul up at times.

You have no idea what it means to be a number #2 driver for Ferrari. Ask Rubens Barrichello. It's knowing that you will never win a WDC title.
    Rubens never won a WDC because he was not good enough to win a WDC hence he was no2 for a reason not just because someone decided he was no2. He was beaten by Jenson as well when he had a WCC winning car cause he was not good enough to win.
    Forza Ferrari

I'd take Verstappen over Leclerc any day. There's no doubt Leclerc doing a good job, but still, I am not convinced.

He is beating Ericsson which is not really a big deal and the Sauber is a decent car.

Verstappen on the other consistently beating Ricciardo, which is a pretty big deal. There's no doubt in my mind that Max is a future F1 champion and if Ferrari doesn't sign him than Mercedes surely will.

IMO: keep Kimi for another year or two, and when Kimi retires, offer Max a contract he can't refuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    He was beaten by Jenson as well when he had a WCC winning car cause he was not good enough to win.

You pick one year (2006). He beat everyone in 2002 & 2004 except his team-mate. At some point, even the great MSC get beaten with a WDC car.

1. M. SCHUMACHER 108pts
    2. M. HAKKINEN - - 89
    3. D. COULTHARD - 73
    4. R. BARRICHELLO 62
    8. Button

1. M. SCHUMACHER 123pts
    2. D. COULTHARD 65
    3. R. BARRICHELLO 56
    17. Button

1. M. SCHUMACHER - 144 pts
    2. R. BARRICHELLO - 77
    7. Button

1. M. SCHUMACHER - 93pts
    2. K. RAIKKONEN - 91
    3. J. MONTOYA - 82
    4. R. BARRICHELLO - 10
    9. Button

1. M. SCHUMACHER - 148
    2. R. BARRICHELLO - 114
    3. Button

1. F. ALONSO - 133
    2. K. RAIKKONEN - 112
    3. M. SCHUMACHER - 62
    4. J. MONTOYA - 60
    5. G. FISICHELLA - 58
    6. R. SCHUMACHER - 45
    7. J. TRULLI - 43
    8. R. BARRICHELLO - 38
    9. J. BUTTON - 37

1. F. ALONSO - 134
    2. M. SCHUMACHER - 121
    3. F. MASSA - 80
    4. G. FISICHELLA - 72
    5. K. RAIKKONEN - 65
    6. J. BUTTON - 56
    7. R. BARRICHELLO - 30

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    he was no2 for a reason not just because someone decided he was no2.
    Ultimately, Ferrari decides and contracts who will conform to a #2 driver.

You pick one year (2006). He beat everyone in 2002 & 2004 except his team-mate. At some point, even the great MSC get beaten with a WDC car.
    I never picked one year what you on about 2006? Rubens was not even with us in 2006. He beat everyone apart from MS in 2002 and 2004 as our car was utterly dominant those years....he got beaten every other year by our rivals when the car was not so dominant and we had a challenge. When did MS lose the title with a WDC car??? can't say I recall that....

Rubens was not good enough to win a WDC regardless if his contract said no1, no2, no3 or anything. Rubens never had a contract that said he was no2 either so that's another bit of a mis-truth. He was no2 as he was not good enough to beat MS.
    Forza Ferrari

2005 tyre rules hurt Ferrari very much. No tyre changes (except for punctures and weather) relegated Ferrari to third or even foruth best behind Renault, McLaren and Toyota. It's rather a miracle that Michael managed to finish 3rd in the WDC ahead of JPM, Fisi, Ralf and Trulli. Rubens struggled a lot.

In 2006 Michael made some costly mistakes. Australia comes to mind. He was also unlucky in Hungary with that suspension failure and at Suzuka with that engine failure. That was also Alonso's best season ever in F1.

How about Pierre Gasly? There is basicly nothing between him and Leclerc so far.

Quote Originally Posted by 512 TR View Post

How about Pierre Gasly? There is basicly nothing between him and Leclerc so far.
    I would have to agree....so far. That P6 was not a gifted P6 by Gasly at the Hungaroring but nonetheless still to early to base anything.