View Poll Results: Charles Leclerc score points in 3/4 races . Can he earn a Ferrrari seat in 2019?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely yes

49 45.37%
  • Maybe yes

35 32.41%
  • Maybe no

11 10.19%
  • Definitely no

13 12.04%
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Charles Leclerc chances for Ferrari

Another thing is that Leclerc will not be anything more than a clear #2. Even if he wins in Australia, like Eddie Irvine did in 1999, it won't change one thing. The pecking order and who the team is built around will still be Seb much like it was around Michael at the time. So the question everyone should ask themselves. Will Leclerc score as many points as Kimi has up until today this season? I know, impossible to answer for everyone (including the powers in charge). It's not like Leclerc will be gone from the Ferrari picture should he not get the seat next year.

The parallel between Leclerc and Alesi is striking. Alesi waited to his third year in F1 to get the Ferrari drive. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by 512 TR View Post
    Another thing is that Leclerc will not be anything more than a clear #2. Even if he wins in Australia, like Eddie Irvine did in 1999, it won't change one thing. The pecking order and who the team is built around will still be Seb much like it was around Michael at the time. So the question everyone should ask themselves. Will Leclerc score as many points as Kimi has up until today this season? I know, impossible to answer for everyone (including the powers in charge). It's not like Leclerc will be gone from the Ferrari picture should he not get the seat next year.

The parallel between Leclerc and Alesi is striking. Alesi waited to his third year in F1 to get the Ferrari drive. Just saying.
    If that is what it gets us a WDC and a WCC, I don't see anything wrong with it.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    of course, no problem
    Imagine how many world titles Alonso would have had if he just said what you are saying now

My guess is that they give 2 years contract to Kimi, just because it is a business, and Kimi`s "market value" is big, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    There can be various factors which we fans don't know from outside. Not necessary one driver fulfills agendas of two different teams. Alonso being the talent he is, was not signed my Mercedes but Bottas was, don't tell me Bottas is better than Fred. The reason here was different

Coming to Haas drivers, I really don't know why those two clowns are driving there, if I were happen to be Gunther, I would've had you & me instead of those two driving for them
    We all know why Alonso wasn't signed by Mercedes, couldn't keep it shut since 2006. Gunther said no Leclerc for another reason, as the boy seems to have been brought up right. I share your opinion about the Haas drivers and I would take up that challenge if offered to me, I would probably be 10s off the pace, but that's a different story

Haas wants to confirm Grosjean

I don't think Kimi would have ever considered Haas/Sauber.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Haas wants to confirm Grosjean

I don't think Kimi would have ever considered Haas/Sauber.
    Which means there no chance for Leclerc in haas. Only option for him is to stay at Sauber or move to ferrari.
    Going by the rumours, Leclerc to ferrari is inevitable. Only official confirmation is needed.

Kimi past 34k signatures.

The deal with LeClerc (Sauber) was "solidified" when Marchionne was alive. Camelleri(?? sorry if I mis-spelled) wants to keep Kimi and leave the Scuderia "stable."

Now it's up to the lawyers. LeClerc came with Ferrari engines with the Sauber deal.

My feeling is, LeClerc stays with Sauber but gets paid alot more money this time until 2020.

Anyone saying they won't be a Ferrari fan anymore if Raikkonen is not retained was never a Ferrari fan to begin with.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    Anyone saying they won't be a Ferrari fan anymore if Raikkonen is not retained was never a Ferrari fan to begin with.
    That's not the way to look at it, my friend. Ferrari has to attract fans and not say to a neutral fan, we don't need you. He will either support a different team or leave the sport all together.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    That's not the way to look at it, my friend. Ferrari has to attract fans and not say to a neutral fan, we don't need you. He will either support a different team or leave the sport all together.
    My point was that the tifosi will support the team regardless of who drives the car. If Raikkonen fans jump ship, there will be a wave of new fans who will take his place, maybe not as many as before, but the difference will be negligible.

Disappointed Since 2010

I say sign leclerc.
    Look how mclaren blind signed Hamilton into its top 2 seat back then. What a gamble. He just lost out in the wdc first rookie year. Won the following year.
    Look at Alonso, signed up by Minardi first year, then took 1 year off as Renault test driver, then was signed by them and proved in 2004 he had wdc winning skill that year. Which he did in 2005 & 2006.
    More examples? Raikonen at sauber, then quickly into mclaren top team to just miss out due to reliability in 2005.

Point im trying to make, some drivers show exceptional talent early on, they stick out from the pack like a sore thumb, if you have the chance you should sign them up. 90% chance they are going to succeed and meet expectations with flying colours.

No point holding onto old raikonen, Ferrari got to look ahead, the future is whether you like it is leclerc, verstapen, gasly, sainz etc.

Ohh forgot one more example of drivers signed up by big teams quickly. A 4 time wdc driver Vettel from 2008 to 2009 :)

will be soooo disappointed, if they retain kimi another 2 years. have a feeling they will unfortunately. Imo need someone to help seb against mercs, push seb or surpass him. kimi cant or hasnt done any.

feel m.a and seb will get their way and keep kimi. sauber and haas will remain as is too
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

My point was that the tifosi will support the team regardless of who drives the car. If Raikkonen fans jump ship, there will be a wave of new fans who will take his place, maybe not as many as before, but the difference will be negligible.
    Negligible? On this forum yes. Worlwide Kimi's fan base is the largest of any driver. If I may use some words from the great poet Marshall Mathers: " There are millions just like him, who talk like him, who just don't give a f like him".

https://www.planetf1.com/news/reason...imi-raikkonen/

The petition to keep Kimi has reached 50.000 in 2 days. https://www.change.org/p/maurizio-ar...r-another-year
    Last edited by IulianFerrari; 8th September 2018 at 06:28.

now lots of press and media saying, announcement will be made at singapore before the race. with M.A. getting more trust and confidence of those at the top as they seek stability, so kimi staying yet again might be looking more and more like it
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!

Only Marchionne was daring enough to change old design guard and put young designers from inside Ferrari. It completely changed this team, for better of course. But yea, retain Kimi for 2 more years, what can I say. When it comes to drivers, wish we could take RBs example, but knowing Ferrari they will take Kimi till he is 45.

Quote Originally Posted by darkchild View Post
    Only Marchionne was daring enough to change old design guard and put young designers from inside Ferrari. It completely changed this team, for better of course. But yea, retain Kimi for 2 more years, what can I say. When it comes to drivers, wish we could take RBs example, but knowing Ferrari they will take Kimi till he is 45.
    nah man till his 60 because he was the last ferrari wdc and will stay as such with no titles, since they are too scared and afraid to trust anyone else, i really wish marchionne was still around or atleast wrote out what ferrari must do till next year in his will or something.

Something what I have been thinking.
    You know guys, they always say, that Kimi can`t deliver with the bad car, like for example Alonso can.
    So, 2 reasons, in my thinking, why Kimi and Seb is now almost evenly matched. In some stats Kimi is ahead, that should not be so.
    1. We have a fast car now, (since Austria, like Hamilton said, he did see a boost in Ferrari power from there,), and that suits Kimi and he is doing good.
    2. Seb is not so great driver than we think he is. He was great with RB, he did beat Webber, but was car so good, that he could not lose.

Quote Originally Posted by darkchild View Post
    RBR were not "brave", they got ditched by Ricciardo. They offered him a contract and he declined it and took someone else's offer.

RBR were not "brave", they got ditched by Ricciardo. They offered him a contract and he declined it and took someone else's offer.
    What they offered was a seat along side Max ! Dan took off!

**** it, bring on Leclerc. And put Giovinazzi to Sauber.

Im not talking about Ricciardo. Im talking about Kvyat and any other driver that underperforms for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    What they offered was a seat along side Max ! Dan took off!
    The point was they offered him the seat

Negligible? On this forum yes. Worlwide Kimi's fan base is the largest of any driver. If I may use some words from the great poet Marshall Mathers: " There are millions just like him, who talk like him, who just don't give a f like him".

https://www.planetf1.com/news/reason...imi-raikkonen/

The petition to keep Kimi has reached 50.000 in 2 days. https://www.change.org/p/maurizio-ar...r-another-year
    Ferrari didn’t seen to mind showing him the door in 2009 and the team survived with only Alonso and Massa.

Disappointed Since 2010

Ferrari didn’t seen to mind showing him the door in 2009 and the team survived with only Alonso and Massa.
    But they lost Mr. Popular, holy crap

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    But they lost Mr. Popular, holy crap
    Yeah; it’s a shock that they didn’t instantly declare bankruptcy.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    If that is what it gets us a WDC and a WCC, I don't see anything wrong with it.
    Can't that happen with the drivers we have know? Is Kimi to blame for Seb's mistakes? Will Charles take more points off Lewis than Kimi does? Most importantly, for the WCC, will Charles score more points than Kimi has this season at this point next year? BTW, Ferrari still have the chance to become World Champions this season.

Yeah; it’s a shock that they didn’t instantly declare bankruptcy.
    Santander did help with that problem.

I hope it will be the same as in 2014 in Red Bull. I think Charles will be able to deal with Vettel quickly.

Hold your horses gentlemen.

"Latest rumour out of Italy on Raikkonen's future. Leclerc is to delay joining Ferrari until 2020 and will stay at Sauber on the salary agreed for his contract at the Scuderia. One more year of learning the ropes for him and Kimi gets another year. Apparently, both Vettel and Arrivabene are pushing for this solution. Sauber said to be keen on a straightforward Raikkonen/Leclerc swap at the end of the 2019 season. Seems to make sense." - per Grand Prix Diary twitter