View Poll Results: Charles Leclerc score points in 3/4 races . Can he earn a Ferrrari seat in 2019?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely yes

    48 44.86%
  • Maybe yes

    35 32.71%
  • Maybe no

    11 10.28%
  • Definitely no

    13 12.15%
Page 1 of 16 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 474

Thread: Charles Leclerc chances for Ferrari

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bahrain
    Posts
    40

    Charles Leclerc chances for Ferrari

    Charles Leclerc took his third points finish in four races for Sauber.
    Is he ready earn a shot at a Ferrari seat for 2019?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Need4speed View Post
    Charles Leclerc took his third points finish in four races for Sauber.
    Is he ready earn a shot at a Ferrari seat for 2019?
    Some say he needs time in a faster midfield car. I say the fact that he's driving a bottom feeder and competing for points in the midfield shows he is ready for Ferrari. The kid has a massive amount of talent and is far more mature than Verstappen.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    4,953
    Not yet. Too too early. Look at Ferrari's history of hiring "young" talented drivers.

    If anyone, Danny Rich looks to be a likely candidate. He looks to be "coachable" with Ferrari's approach towards Vettel. Mercedes has this same approach. Unlike RedBulls approach who let their drivers "duke-it-out" amongst one another.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    28,438
    Worked not too bad when we took Massa, I say go for it. Unless they see him more of a Seb replacement.
    Forza Ferrari

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Worked not too bad when we took Massa, I say go for it. Unless they see him more of a Seb replacement.
    Excellent point.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    4,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Worked not too bad when we took Massa, I say go for it. Unless they see him more of a Seb replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    Excellent point.

    And how did that work out for Massa as a #2??? Being hired by Ferrari as a #2 is not in the best interest of the driver. Sure, in the big picture, it works out well for Ferrari but as the driver, maybe not so much (Of course, you're driving for Ferrari in an F1 car). In Massa's case he nevered moved up to #1. He was there to support Michael then Alonso.

    LeClerc needs to be hired as a #1 till Vettel moves on (which is highly unlikely at this pt.) or Danny Rich moves in as a #2 to support Vettel. You never want be a Massa or a Rubens....you will always be the support driver of the #1 for Ferrari....maybe to most that's okay...probably a dream come true....but it takes a special person to be a #2 to deal with the "politics" within the F1 Scuderia.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    28,438
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    And how did that work out for Massa as a #2??? Being hired by Ferrari as a #2 is not in the best interest of the driver. Sure, in the big picture, it works out well for Ferrari but as the driver, maybe not so much (Of course, you're driving for Ferrari in an F1 car). In Massa's case he nevered moved up to #1. He was there to support Michael then Alonso.

    LeClerc needs to be hired as a #1 till Vettel moves on (which is highly unlikely at this pt.) or Danny Rich moves in as a #2 to support Vettel. You never want be a Massa or a Rubens....you will always be the support driver of the #1 for Ferrari....maybe to most that's okay...probably a dream come true....but it takes a special person to be a #2 to deal with the "politics" within the F1 Scuderia.
    Any driver would be no2 to Michael Schumacher at that point in time and not just cause the team said so, yes he was that good.....Massa was not no2 to Kimi and I would say was no1 from late 2008 until his accident. Not quite sure why your suggesting LeClerc can't be a no2 to Seb but Ric would be??? I think LeClerc would be much more willing to accept learning from Seb and building himself into the team in a similar way Massa did with Michael than Danny Ric would be, Ric would not be happy being no2.

    And in reality I don't think Ferrari really operate a no2 policy such as they did in the past with Eddie and Rubens, times have changed. The fastest driver will get the benefits of being the fastest.
    Forza Ferrari

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    4,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Any driver would would be no2 to Michael Schumacher at that point in time, yes he was that good.....Massa was not no2 to Kimi and I would say was no1 from late 2008 until his accident. Not quite sure why your suggesting LeClerc can't be a no2 to Seb but Ric would be???
    So it's Massa's fault that Michael was around??? Just like it was Alonso's fault that he was around too??? 2007 Massa had an accumulation of issues where he did'nt win the championship against Kimi. Yes, after his accident in 2008 he never recovered.

    I'm for change too. Would love to see Ferrari change things up. I'm for LeClerc hopping into a Ferrari seat in 2019. But honestly, there are currentlly way more seasoned drivers right now other than LeClerc. C'mon Greig, you would pick LeClerc for 2019 over Danny Rich???

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    4,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post

    And in reality I don't think Ferrari really operate a no2 policy such as they did in the past with Eddie and Rubens, times have changed. The fastest driver will get the benefits of being the fastest.
    Tell that to Kimi.....not getting a spec. engine, Ferrari moving him during pit stop strategy, Ferrari keeping him out longer during the race....that's reality. It's been this way since and it's been this way today....it's here to stay.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,879
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    And how did that work out for Massa as a #2??? Being hired by Ferrari as a #2 is not in the best interest of the driver. Sure, in the big picture, it works out well for Ferrari but as the driver, maybe not so much (Of course, you're driving for Ferrari in an F1 car). In Massa's case he nevered moved up to #1. He was there to support Michael then Alonso.

    LeClerc needs to be hired as a #1 till Vettel moves on (which is highly unlikely at this pt.) or Danny Rich moves in as a #2 to support Vettel. You never want be a Massa or a Rubens....you will always be the support driver of the #1 for Ferrari....maybe to most that's okay...probably a dream come true....but it takes a special person to be a #2 to deal with the "politics" within the F1 Scuderia.
    I would say it worked out great for him all the way up to his accident. He learned from Schumacher, outperformed Raikkonen over the course of two seasons and nearly won a championship in 2008. I would argue he's probably one of the most, if not the most successful Ferrari driver to never win a championship, and he is beloved by the tifosi. I don't blame Ferrari for picking up Alonso after Massa's accident. How could anyone know how he would perform after what he went through?

    I think any young driver would jump at the opportunity to be paired with a veteran four-time world champion at Ferrari. Driving for Ferrari has been Leclerc's goal since he entered Ferrari's Academy. And yes, I would take Leclerc over Ricciardo. I would prefer Ferrari hire within, otherwise what is the point of schooling young drivers? Why not hire him to be number two, if there even is such a thing, and then promote him to number one when Vettel leaves?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,879
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Tell that to Kimi.....not getting a spec. engine, Ferrari moving him during pit stop strategy, Ferrari keeping him out longer during the race....that's reality. It's been this way since and it's been this way today....it's here to stay.

    I think if we're being completely honest, Raikkonen would never be in contention for a title even with the full support of the team. Sure, he can still qualify, but his race pace is lacking.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    304
    I say give him the chance. I have confidence that he will perform and is not better time then now.


    "Big things have small beginings"
    "Perseverence is power"

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    304
    What happens if he is the real deal?? What Ferrari has to lose? More now that the team is on the up?


    "Big things have small beginings"
    "Perseverence is power"

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    4,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post

    I think any young driver would jump at the opportunity to be paired with a veteran four-time world champion at Ferrari. Driving for Ferrari has been Leclerc's goal since he entered Ferrari's Academy.
    Would love for it to happen.....but I doubt it. Yes, it's been LeClercs dream and someday he will as a #1.

    Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    And yes, I would take Leclerc over Ricciardo.



    Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    I would prefer Ferrari hire within, otherwise what is the point of schooling young drivers? Why not hire him to be number two, if there even is such a thing, and then promote him to number one when Vettel leaves?
    they do hire from within, I'm not debating that. There is such a thing as a #2 within Ferrari.

    Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    I think if we're being completely honest, Raikkonen would never be in contention for a title even with the full support of the team. Sure, he can still qualify, but his race pace is lacking.
    He never was as long as Vettel is around.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,879
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Would love for it to happen.....but I doubt it. Yes, it's been LeClercs dream and someday he will as a #1.








    they do hire from within, I'm not debating that. There is such a thing as a #2 within Ferrari.



    He never was as long as Vettel is around.
    I think it's also important to keep in mind how much extra Ricciardo's contract would cost. I have a feeling Vettel and Leclerc would get along better than Vettel and Ricciardo, and I can picture Ricciardo late braking right into the side of Vettel's car. I don't dislike Ricciardo, I would just rather see a Ferrari driver like Leclerc or Giovinazzi get the seat.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    4,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    I think it's also important to keep in mind how much extra Ricciardo's contract would cost. I have a feeling Vettel and Leclerc would get along better than Vettel and Ricciardo, and I can picture Ricciardo late braking right into the side of Vettel's car. I don't dislike Ricciardo, I would just rather see a Ferrari driver like Leclerc or Giovinazzi get the seat.

    Ricciardo at RB gets paid way less than what they pay Kimi currently...included sponsors and endorsements. LeClerc IMO would be a beast next to Vettel given time...he's hungry. He would not settle for a #2 spot. Ferrari do not like teammate rivalries....2 #1's don't make for a good relationship. Nico took it for so long and decided he was going to go out with a WDC title against his teammate. Now it's Bottas who at the moment plays a good #2. Kimi is just the same as Bottas.

    I don't see Ricciardo "late braking into the side of Vettels car" more so as I see Max "late braking into the side of Vettels car." Vettels got another 3 to 5yrs of racing in him...so we need an experienced driver to play #2 along side Vettel....heck, it might be Kimi again for 2019 and if it is.....then you'll understand Ferrari's decision making process with regards to a #2 driver and not some semi-rookie (whom has alot of talent but is still way too young) for the #2 spot. IF, and that's a big IF, Ferrari changes their #2 driver for a 1 year semi-rookie...then I would be shocked, surprised and excited to see them make this rookie move.

    For some of us that have been following Ferrari for quite awhile, hiring a semi rookie for a #2 spot is totally out of character given their history. Vettel is Ferrari's #1.....the second driver has to play #2...meaning the #2 will not win the WDC title....that's for Vettel to win.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,292
    Leclerc or Dan would demand from Ferrari an engine to race and compete with. Kimi does not. He goes out and does his job, driving whatever Ferrari gives him. Sometimes Ferrari makes a mistake and Kimi gets a podium. Kimi for sure is a tough act to follow. He usually finishes 6th or better if his car lasts a whole race. How many teams and their drivers are finishing behind him? One can't say, oh it's the car. Kimi gets his bomb home ahead of most of the crowd. I believe he's as good a driver as Lewis and close to Alonso, way ahead of any rookie, and in Sebs#1 spot he will be just as winning. How much better is Leclerc than Giovanazzi given the same chances to show what he has ? And ... he will take the #2 spot with open arms just to be driving for Ferrari in F-Pirelli!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    28,438
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    So it's Massa's fault that Michael was around??? Just like it was Alonso's fault that he was around too??? 2007 Massa had an accumulation of issues where he did'nt win the championship against Kimi. Yes, after his accident in 2008 he never recovered.

    I'm for change too. Would love to see Ferrari change things up. I'm for LeClerc hopping into a Ferrari seat in 2019. But honestly, there are currentlly way more seasoned drivers right now other than LeClerc. C'mon Greig, you would pick LeClerc for 2019 over Danny Rich???
    Who said it was Massa's fault? Massa was no2 because MS was better not because the team said he was no2, and as I said Massa learned from it. Your the one saying LeClerc can't come to Ferrari to be no2, but Ric can? I don't believe Ric would be interesting in coming to Ferrari to be no2 to Seb, but I think LeClerc would and use it as a learning period.
    Forza Ferrari

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    28,438
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Tell that to Kimi.....not getting a spec. engine, Ferrari moving him during pit stop strategy, Ferrari keeping him out longer during the race....that's reality. It's been this way since and it's been this way today....it's here to stay.
    Erm he never got the engine because of previous issues he is on a different cycle to Seb and would have taken a penalty to get the new engine in Canada, not because he is treated as a no2 lol
    Forza Ferrari

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    salco
    Posts
    1,983
    didn't Lewis go straight to Mclaren his first season and almost won the title?
    I don't think it would be a huge gamble to give Leclerc a Ferrari seat next year, he will have 21 races under his belt already.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    28,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    didn't Lewis go straight to Mclaren his first season and almost won the title?
    I don't think it would be a huge gamble to give Leclerc a Ferrari seat next year, he will have 21 races under his belt already.
    Yeah dont think its a massiven risk. Prob more of a risk having Ric for team harmony.

    Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
    Forza Ferrari

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    2,215
    If Leclerc continues his current form, let alone improves, I don't see why not (join Ferrari next year).
    He would definitely deserve the chance.

    As for Kimi and the engine (why he did not get the latest spec in latest race), people go read the rules or something, there is no conspiracy.

    Also, as much as I like Kimi, one needs to accept the fact that he is not the fighter he used to be. And we do need 2 drivers who race their hearts out if we do want the WCC.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    towradgi beach
    Posts
    467
    Kimi will retire ferrari will not extend his contract thats my feeling they need younger fresh blood moving foward kimi has done it all eventually we all need to call time.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nasilerianurah
    Posts
    125
    Kimi will stay next year too! With the car that we have and will be it will not be needed a great driver.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Pangea
    Posts
    3,022
    Quote Originally Posted by NasI View Post
    Kimi will stay next year too! With the car that we have and will be it will not be needed a great driver.
    And keep costing us valuable points huh, no thanks.

    Raikkonen's place is in teams like Force India or Williams, not Ferrari. Ferrari should give the seat to Leclerc next year.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Diamond Head
    Posts
    140
    I voted definitely no because no matter how well he does, he needs time to develop and mature and that would be almost impossible to do with the pressure of being a Ferrari driver. So, for his sake, and to give him the best chance of coming to Ferrari ready and able to win he needs more time in feeder teams. If he does really well, I'd like to see him in strong midfield car.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    4,953
    Quote Originally Posted by enjaybel3 View Post
    I voted definitely no because no matter how well he does, he needs time to develop and mature and that would be almost impossible to do with the pressure of being a Ferrari driver. So, for his sake, and to give him the best chance of coming to Ferrari ready and able to win he needs more time in feeder teams. If he does really well, I'd like to see him in strong midfield car.
    +1

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nasilerianurah
    Posts
    125
    Haha

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nasilerianurah
    Posts
    125
    [QUOTE=tifosi1993;975954]And keep costing us valuable points huh, no thanks.

    Raikkonen's place is in teams like Force India or Williams, not Ferrari. Ferrari should give the seat to Leclerc next year.[/Ha ha]

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,388
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    +1
    - - -1

    I don’t know how your accepting those results from kimi. Of course he’s a nice guy & team man.
    But at one stage you should look at his performances. When you have a strong package, you should deliver.
    I accept reliability issues hit him. But what about other performances in race pace ??? Quali performances baku, Canada, Monaco??? Didn’t it cost the team most???

    Ok leave all these, what was bottas results last year? When Lewis didn’t win bottas did took coupl of wins from
    Vettel. Bottas did act rear gunner few times, if kimi would have qualified higher there would be two advantages 1) WCC points 2) WDC championship for him or to vettel.

    I think Ferrari will keep kimi for 2019, and give Leclerc a chance to race for haas team replacing Grosjean. After his performances then he will move to Ferrari along side vettel. This might be the plan. But he’s definetly on ferrari interests.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •