View Poll Results: Charles Leclerc score points in 3/4 races . Can he earn a Ferrrari seat in 2019?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely yes

49 45.37%
  • Maybe yes

35 32.41%
  • Maybe no

11 10.19%
  • Definitely no

13 12.04%
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Charles Leclerc chances for Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    Name me one driver from history of Ferrari who was a support driver and then became lead driver. I hope Leclerc knows this
    Felipe Massa when he nearly won the championship in 2008.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    the best no.2 is bottas but he is taken who knows maybe leclerc will make history and become the no.1 whilst seb is still there
    I was talking about Ferrari, closest I think of is Massa but he was not that typical number 1 guy like MS, Alonso, Hamilton or Vettel. My point is driver needs to be assertive right in the beginning that he is not a move over guy and of course back it up with not landing in a situation where team needs him to move over. Leclerc should not live in Seb’s shadow but should do his own race, if he is signed by Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    Felipe Massa when he nearly won the championship in 2008.
    Yup but he landed in that situation after Kimi faded in 2008 title fight

Villeneuve/Scheckter 1979?

Disappointed Since 2010

I was talking about Ferrari, closest I think of is Massa but he was not that typical number 1 guy like MS, Alonso, Hamilton or Vettel. My point is driver needs to be assertive right in the beginning that he is not a move over guy and of course back it up with not landing in a situation where team needs him to move over. Leclerc should not live in Seb’s shadow but should do his own race, if he is signed by Ferrari
    Then ferrari will always be second in both championships at best if they don't enforce driver positions, look at monza the way kimi defended against seb, cost him a podium and vice versa in china with seb being a dumb idiot and blocking kimi.

it was always thought that kimi was helping seb, but the truth is according to kimi himself, seb and M.A is that they were always racing each other and neither helping so i guess thats the story and to expect more stupidity between the teammates if they dont force team orders. M.A can brag about his fairness whilst mercedes hold up another trophy at the end of the year
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Lapo Elkann now talking? OMG... What is going on with Ferrari?

Quote Originally Posted by 512 TR View Post
    What is going on with Ferrari?
    They seem to be in the middle of replacing KR with another driver for 2019 and beyond.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

Can we just rip this band-aid off already???

Disappointed Since 2010

Kimi was doing very good in 2008, exhaust cost him win in France then Lewis knocked him out in the pitlane at Canada, Spa he had passed Lewis then lost it next corner which was prob the turning point for Ferrari to back Felipe.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    They seem to be in the middle of replacing KR with another driver for 2019 and beyond.
    Only "in the middle"? Is that even physically possible? How can another contracted driver be "in the middle"? Either you're in or you're not. And Lapo Elkann should not be a spokesperson in any capacity for Ferrari. Only if the team wants to be the laughing stock...

Quote Originally Posted by 512 TR View Post
    Only "in the middle"? Is that even physically possible? How can another contracted driver be "in the middle"? Either you're in or you're not. And Lapo Elkann should not be a spokesperson in any capacity for Ferrari. Only if the team wants to be the laughing stock...
    We are in the middle of becoming that

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    We are in the middle of becoming that
    Yes, but there might be a twist in this as well. Leclerc will be an official Ferrari driver (promoted from academy status) per his contract but he'll be on loan to Sauber or Haas. Sauber or Haas will then get some discounts on the PU:s and some other discounts. Kimi might still stay in that scenario. That's why it takes all this time to announce it. I give this scenario 25% chance and at least it would explain all the conflicting news since the Monza weekend. Maybe.

If it's just straight as it seems, Leclerc in and Kimi out, then they have mishandled all of this for sure. If the Ferrari seat contract was signed by Sergio. I give this scenario 75% chance.

so why are they waiting to make an official announcement?

My prediction:
    - KR is replaced by CL for 2019 and beyond
    - KR pays VB out from Mercedes contract with some of Minttu's household funds
    - KR drives for free for Mercedes in 2019 and 2020
    - CL does a Multi 21 and SV gets upset
    - and so on

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    My prediction:
    - KR is replaced by CL for 2019 and beyond
    - KR pays VB out from Mercedes contract with some of Minttu's household funds
    - KR drives for free for Mercedes in 2019 and 2020
    - CL does a Multi 21 and SV gets upset
    - and so on
    And then what...

Someone started a petition to get Kimi to stay for another year
    https://www.change.org/p/maurizio-ar...r-another-year

I've hardly posted on this forum, but I'd like to give my ten cent's worth on this issue of whether or not Leclerc should be given a 2019 Ferrari seat:

Some context about me as a tifoso: I've supported Ferrari since 1977. My love is for the team first and foremost - not individual drivers. I have liked drivers along the way when they drove for Ferrari, such as Villeneuve, Scheckter, Pironi, Mansell and, of course, the great and incomparable Schumi (that was love I had!). I have also disliked or been indifferent to others of our drivers, including Arnoux, Prost, Berger and Barrichello. But for me it's all about the Scuderia that I love - that is the context of my opinion on this and everything else to do with Ferrari.

Raikkonen: Love the guy as a character and as a persona - one of a kind. His brilliant winning of the 2007 WDC was one of my all-time favourite and most exhilarating sporting events. However, Kimi has been past his prime for many years now. And, no, I don't think he's been that 'amazing' this year - not with the frankly terrific car that he has. His Monza pole was stunning and a terrific surprise. But I knew he wouldn't be able to sustain the pace for an entire GP because he never really does...and he didn't. He has outstayed his time at Ferrari - he needs to go. Simple. And I will certainly miss the guy.

Vettel: I've never warmed up to Sebastian - I find he tries too hard to be cool and witty and I think he has a childish streak in his temperament. He's too often a loose cannon. However, you don't become a 4x World Champion in F1 without being very, very good. That's obvious. But, with all due respect, the guy has serious flaws as a driver. He has mostly himself to blame for not being comfortably ahead of Hamilton this year. He simply makes too many errors. He most certainly is no Schumacher - not even close. Worst of all, as much as I intensely dislike Lewis Hamilton, there is no doubt in my mind that Hamilton has been the mostly superior driver this year. The WDC was Hamilton's to lose last year, and he didn't. The WDC is Vettel's to lose this year - and he's well on his way to doing so.

Leclerc: I don't care what others might say, this kid has talent. He has shown himself to be fast and that's not just against a very mediocre teammate such as Ericsson. He has often made a mostly sub-par Sauber look a lot better than it should and outshone drivers in better cars, i.e. Haas and Renault. Is he a Schumi or a Senna? I'm not sure - possibly not. But does it matter even if he's not? No, it does not. What Leclerc offers is youth, hunger and a whole lot to prove. And I for one think that is a terrific combo for Ferrari.

Is it a risk for Ferrari to take on Leclerc in just his sophomore year? Of course it is. Are there any guarantees he will be great or even good in a Ferrari next year? Of course not. We just don't know. But that is what I like about Kimi leaving and Charles replacing him - it's an unknown and it has a strong element of risk-taking. That is the Ferrari I want to be able to support - a team that is bold and takes risks.

I am hugely tired of the conservative, boring, risk-averse Ferrari that emerged in the aftermath of the brilliant, thrilling Schumi-Brawn-Todt era. An era at Ferrari, by the way, that was immersed in risk-taking, flair and boldness. Lest we forget that there was a time when no one could beat Ferrari at strategy. And then the team sank into dull, plodding predictability and 'playing it safe'. Yeah, we all know how well that went since 2009. And then, suddenly, Ferrari took huge risks with its design and engine in 2017 and we were real contenders again. And the team took even more risks in 2018 (when everyone said the Scuderia was totally mad to do so and had even written us off!) and look at what contenders we've been thus far!

Keeping Kimi is playing it safe, being boring, being dull. Taking on Charles is taking risks, being bold, being daring. I'm all for the latter - even if it doesn't work out. At least we tried something new.

Goodbye, Kimi - it was good while it lasted. Welcome, Charles - we hope you'll be a star.

Quote Originally Posted by Vittorio View Post
    I've hardly posted on this forum, but I'd like to give my ten cent's worth on this issue of whether or not Leclerc should be given a 2019 Ferrari seat:

Some context about me as a tifoso: I've supported Ferrari since 1977. My love is for the team first and foremost - not individual drivers. I have liked drivers along the way when they drove for Ferrari, such as Villeneuve, Scheckter, Pironi, Mansell and, of course, the great and incomparable Schumi (that was love I had!). I have also disliked or been indifferent to others of our drivers, including Arnoux, Prost, Berger and Barrichello. But for me it's all about the Scuderia that I love - that is the context of my opinion on this and everything else to do with Ferrari.

Raikkonen: Love the guy as a character and as a persona - one of a kind. His brilliant winning of the 2007 WDC was one of my all-time favourite and most exhilarating sporting events. However, Kimi has been past his prime for many years now. And, no, I don't think he's been that 'amazing' this year - not with the frankly terrific car that he has. His Monza pole was stunning and a terrific surprise. But I knew he wouldn't be able to sustain the pace for an entire GP because he never really does...and he didn't. He has outstayed his time at Ferrari - he needs to go. Simple. And I will certainly miss the guy.

Vettel: I've never warmed up to Sebastian - I find he tries too hard to be cool and witty and I think he has a childish streak in his temperament. He's too often a loose cannon. However, you don't become a 4x World Champion in F1 without being very, very good. That's obvious. But, with all due respect, the guy has serious flaws as a driver. He has mostly himself to blame for not being comfortably ahead of Hamilton this year. He simply makes too many errors. He most certainly is no Schumacher - not even close. Worst of all, as much as I intensely dislike Lewis Hamilton, there is no doubt in my mind that Hamilton has been the mostly superior driver this year. The WDC was Hamilton's to lose last year, and he didn't. The WDC is Vettel's to lose this year - and he's well on his way to doing so.

Leclerc: I don't care what others might say, this kid has talent. He has shown himself to be fast and that's not just against a very mediocre teammate such as Ericsson. He has often made a mostly sub-par Sauber look a lot better than it should and outshone drivers in better cars, i.e. Haas and Renault. Is he a Schumi or a Senna? I'm not sure - possibly not. But does it matter even if he's not? No, it does not. What Leclerc offers is youth, hunger and a whole lot to prove. And I for one think that is a terrific combo for Ferrari.

Is it a risk for Ferrari to take on Leclerc in just his sophomore year? Of course it is. Are there any guarantees he will be great or even good in a Ferrari next year? Of course not. We just don't know. But that is what I like about Kimi leaving and Charles replacing him - it's an unknown and it has a strong element of risk-taking. That is the Ferrari I want to be able to support - a team that is bold and takes risks.

I am hugely tired of the conservative, boring, risk-averse Ferrari that emerged in the aftermath of the brilliant, thrilling Schumi-Brawn-Todt era. An era at Ferrari, by the way, that was immersed in risk-taking, flair and boldness. Lest we forget that there was a time when no one could beat Ferrari at strategy. And then the team sank into dull, plodding predictability and 'playing it safe'. Yeah, we all know how well that went since 2009. And then, suddenly, Ferrari took huge risks with its design and engine in 2017 and we were real contenders again. And the team took even more risks in 2018 (when everyone said the Scuderia was totally mad to do so and had even written us off!) and look at what contenders we've been thus far!

Keeping Kimi is playing it safe, being boring, being dull. Taking on Charles is taking risks, being bold, being daring. I'm all for the latter - even if it doesn't work out. At least we tried something new.

Goodbye, Kimi - it was good while it lasted. Welcome, Charles - we hope you'll be a star.
    VERY WELL SAID.....could NOT agree more with your comments

BYE, BYE kimi....
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Thank you for your incredibly cogent contribution/analysis.

Disappointed Since 2010

You have my vote too !!!!!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

You have my vote too !!!!!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Great post, Vittorio! From top to bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post

Dear God... Am I the only one who finds this a bit creepy and over the top? Especially reading those comments below, makes me feel like I'm reading followers of some cult

Yeah, I agree, maybe that is why we did not get the news yesterday. Take risk or not, is on the table.
    If they keep Kimi, and no good results 2019, they will be crucified and if they take Leclerc and no good results 2019, they will be crucified.

The whole mess with signing Leclerc is not the nicest way to say goodbye to Kimi. Afterall he's still Ferrari's last champion.

100% agree with the kimi and stuff and especially the risk taking, seems the car engineering side is bold and exciting thanks to the work from maranello and binotto but the strategy and pitwall side are still dull and with very much flaws thanks to Jock clear and M.A. being scared to hurt kimi's feelings imo.

Today should be the announcement about who gets the seat lol maybe they'l drag it out till singapore
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!

Finnish radio YLE SUOMI reporting Leclerc replacing Kimi to be announced very soon

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    lol saw the main reason being that he has been there since they were a kid

Finnish radio YLE SUOMI reporting Leclerc replacing Kimi to be announced very soon
    I'm really excited, plus small chance will kimi stay or go to sauber

Why on earth would he go to Sauber?

Well said Vittorio!
    I will be sad to see RAI depart but it is, I think, time to be bold.
    I also agree that VET has made too many mistakes, but he remains very much our best bet at the moment.
    #ForzaFerrari
    Trying to be less angry..