View Poll Results: Charles Leclerc score points in 3/4 races . Can he earn a Ferrrari seat in 2019?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely yes

49 45.37%
  • Maybe yes

35 32.41%
  • Maybe no

11 10.19%
  • Definitely no

13 12.04%
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Charles Leclerc chances for Ferrari

Leclerc to Ferrari 2020. That's the news!

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Any driver would be no2 to Michael Schumacher at that point in time and not just cause the team said so, yes he was that good.....Massa was not no2 to Kimi and I would say was no1 from late 2008 until his accident. Not quite sure why your suggesting LeClerc can't be a no2 to Seb but Ric would be??? I think LeClerc would be much more willing to accept learning from Seb and building himself into the team in a similar way Massa did with Michael than Danny Ric would be, Ric would not be happy being no2.

And in reality I don't think Ferrari really operate a no2 policy such as they did in the past with Eddie and Rubens, times have changed. The fastest driver will get the benefits of being the fastest.
    I take your point, Greig, I also think it's more unlikely that RIC would accept a no2 billing to Seb with good grace and it may cause friction. Felipe was doing a great job until he lost out on the 2008 championship by 1 point and then had his accident, he was never overshadowed by Kimi but it all seemed to change when Fernando came on board and got progressively worse so Felipe ended up feeling totally demoralised. I'm all for Charles to be given a chance, he maybe does need a little more experience but I also think Ferrari need to try something new by putting him beside Seb.

Wonder if he could pass Hamilton in a race, if Seb was winning it (by a large margin)?

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by enjaybel3 View Post
    I voted definitely no because no matter how well he does, he needs time to develop and mature and that would be almost impossible to do with the pressure of being a Ferrari driver. So, for his sake, and to give him the best chance of coming to Ferrari ready and able to win he needs more time in feeder teams. If he does really well, I'd like to see him in strong midfield car.
    Massa showed it's not impossible, be as well developing and learning from a 4xWDC maybe even a 5x WDC by next year
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post

I don’t know how your accepting those results from kimi. Of course he’s a nice guy & team man.
    But at one stage you should look at his performances. When you have a strong package, you should deliver.
    I accept reliability issues hit him. But what about other performances in race pace ??? Quali performances baku, Canada, Monaco??? Didn’t it cost the team most???

Ok leave all these, what was bottas results last year? When Lewis didn’t win bottas did took coupl of wins from
    Vettel. Bottas did act rear gunner few times, if kimi would have qualified higher there would be two advantages 1) WCC points 2) WDC championship for him or to vettel.

I think Ferrari will keep kimi for 2019, and give Leclerc a chance to race for haas team replacing Grosjean. After his performances then he will move to Ferrari along side vettel. This might be the plan. But he’s definetly on ferrari interests.
    Kimi is replaceable..not denying that. You have to understand what it means to be a #2 driver. Yes, he messed quali and the start in Montreal 2018.

1.) Melbourne - Pit wall makes a bad call on pit/tyre strategy and brings Kimi out with traffic. Kimi is not happy. 3rd place finish
    2.) Bahrain - somewhat slow launch at the start but an "unfortunate" pit mishap and Kimi has to retire the car. You can tell Kimi's frustration the way he throws the steering wheel into the cockpit of the car not realizing a pit crew member is down....."stop stop stop" and Ferrari gets fined 50k Euro's.
    3.) China - an excessive Vettel "Schumi" chop and the pits leave Kimi out during the SC instead of pitting so to block Bottas, after which the race seemed to go downhill for Kimi....nonetheless another 3rd place finish.

They often put Kimi on the slower strategy.

Monaco last year.

Hungary last year wasn't allowed to attack Vettel with a wounded car. So he played the excellent rear gunner.

I don't see there's anything wrong with having a 2nd fiddle for a 4x world champion. Especially one that keeps harmony within the team. No complaints to the press, ever. A rare thing and very useful. Kimi practically pays for himself in hat sales alone. He's very popular

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post

Monaco last year.
    So often you can name one time which was not even the slower strategy? And maybe he could not attack Vettel at Hungary just like Lewis could not attack Kimi either and so on down the grid.
    Forza Ferrari

Kimi is replaceable..not denying that. You have to understand what it means to be a #2 driver. Yes, he messed quali and the start in Montreal 2018.

1.) Melbourne - Pit wall makes a bad call on pit/tyre strategy and brings Kimi out with traffic. Kimi is not happy. 3rd place finish
    2.) Bahrain - somewhat slow launch at the start but an "unfortunate" pit mishap and Kimi has to retire the car. You can tell Kimi's frustration the way he throws the steering wheel into the cockpit of the car not realizing a pit crew member is down....."stop stop stop" and Ferrari gets fined 50k Euro's.
    3.) China - an excessive Vettel "Schumi" chop and the pits leave Kimi out during the SC instead of pitting so to block Bottas, after which the race seemed to go downhill for Kimi....nonetheless another 3rd place finish.

Monaco last year.

Hungary last year wasn't allowed to attack Vettel with a wounded car. So he played the excellent rear gunner.

I don't see there's anything wrong with having a 2nd fiddle for a 4x world champion. Especially one that keeps harmony within the team. No complaints to the press, ever. A rare thing and very useful. Kimi practically pays for himself in hat sales alone. He's very popular
    Ferrari doesn’t do anything wantedly (doesnt want a to keep their driver on slower strategy)
    His race pace is never a match to vettel’s. In any race you can see that.
    Hungary last year, when vettel had issues only he was able to close else vettel would have cruised.
    Monaco, vettel race pace was way faster than kimi. You can see that when kimi boxed.

Ferrari is giving priority to the driver who is the fastest on the current race. Unfortunately it’s always vettel.
    So they are playing a card with kimi, if vettel needs any help.

If Leclerc comes into team & shows a match with vettel. Then definitely, there would be no cases like leaving Leclerc out for long, etc. after certain races they would come to a situation whom to favour or who are ahead in points table.

If DR comes into Ferrari, this time he will face tough fight with vettel (Who has 1Lap pace in his favour).

Ferrari doesn’t do anything wantedly (doesnt want a to keep their driver on slower strategy)
    His race pace is never a match to vettel’s. In any race you can see that.
    Hungary last year, when vettel had issues only he was able to close else vettel would have cruised.
    Monaco, vettel race pace was way faster than kimi. You can see that when kimi boxed.

Ferrari is giving priority to the driver who is the fastest on the current race. Unfortunately it’s always vettel.
    So they are playing a card with kimi, if vettel needs any help.

If Leclerc comes into team & shows a match with vettel. Then definitely, there would be no cases like leaving Leclerc out for long, etc. after certain races they would come to a situation whom to favour or who are ahead in points table.

If DR comes into Ferrari, this time he will face tough fight with vettel (Who has 1Lap pace in his favour).
    Problem is , when things matters kimi Is unable to deliver now ( q3 , race pace etc ...) ,
    This situation let vettel and the whole team in an unconfortable position to deal with because they could not elaborate global race strategy .
    Vettel Is always at Risk because his team mate is not close to him on the grid.
    With a such good car they need a close competitor for Vettel unless they will never win the WCC again

Not close behind because he's on the podium! Kimi also needs a such a good car to help out .

For me a year at Haas would do wonders for Leclerc. We can see him more, and see if he could beat Magnussen, which I believe Kimi could do even at this advanced age. Its not even about him replacing Kimi, its about Charles having a proper upbringing. If he impresses at Haas next year, sign him with both hands in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    For me a year at Haas would do wonders for Leclerc. We can see him more, and see if he could beat Magnussen, which I believe Kimi could do even at this advanced age. Its not even about him replacing Kimi, its about Charles having a proper upbringing. If he impresses at Haas next year, sign him with both hands in 2020.
    agreed.

If LeClerc advances his race-craft and talent, I don't see him being a #2 driver. In fact, If he gets better than Max (who does not have patience at times when overtaking is all Max is lacking) AND LeClerc is equal to Max in the wet.....LeClerc will become a beast and needs to have a #1 seat.

Max will never play second fiddle to the #1....he's got something to prove and wants to win a WDC title and more....unfortunately at the expense of others at times. I can see LeClerc having the same mindset but in a more refined and a step up above Max once he gets his "feet wet" some more. Heck, I think most of us have seen LeClerc defend against Alonso 2x which says alot in my book for a rookie.

I say we should go for it if he continues his good drives and keeps out of trouble. There is not much downside.

Massa showed it's not impossible, be as well developing and learning from a 4xWDC maybe even a 5x WDC by next year
    In this current hybrid formula era and for 2018 going forward, we finally have 2 teams and a not so distance 3rd team, when it comes to overtaking, on equal footing. Get P1 in quali and the lead car runs away from the other top 5. Overtaking on the track with regards to the top 6 is a procession race unless the overtaking is done in the pits whether by the undercut or overcut.

Times have changed with regards to being the #1 and #2 driver.....which currently...the #2 will not win a WDC title being that these cars are so aero dependent. Nico proved it albeit it was different aero regs.. sure....but look what it does team harmony and probably....thats what it takes.
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 14th June 2018 at 11:36.

... and learning from a 4xWDC maybe even a 5x WDC by next year
    Amen to that

In this current hybrid formula era and for 2018 going forward, we finally have 2 teams and a not so distance 3rd team, when it comes to overtaking, on equal footing. Get P1 in quali and the lead car runs away from the other top 5. Overtaking on the track with regards to the top 6 is a procession race unless the overtaking is done in the pits whether by the undercut or overcut.

Times have changed with regards to being the #1 and #2 driver.....which currently...the #2 will not win a WDC title being that these cars are so aero dependent. Nico proved it albeit it was different aero regs.. sure....but look what it does team harmony and probably....thats what it takes.
    Pole sitter winning races is hardly new to this era, A no2 driver is usually slower than the no1 hence they are no2 and as such won't win a title due to being slower and not because of aero rules.
    Forza Ferrari

Pole sitter winning races is hardly new to this era, A no2 driver is usually slower than the no1 hence they are no2 and as such won't win a title due to being slower and not because of aero rules.
    So you're sayin, a P2 driver who's a tenth off the leader, will be generally slower throughout the race just because he's slower; it has nothing to do with the aero and overtaking in order to win the title???

So you're sayin, a P2 driver who's a tenth off the leader, will be generally slower throughout the race just because he's slower; it has nothing to do with the aero and overtaking in order to win the title???
    Ok all drivers are equal there is no difference in speed, they are all the same just the aero makes one slower.......really? What you on about P2 driver? we are talking about a no1 and no2 drivers not race positions.

So Stroll would only lose to Vettel due to aero and not because he lacks the skills to match and beat Seb? is this what you are trying to say here?
    Forza Ferrari

Ok all drivers are equal there is no difference in speed, they are all the same just the aero makes one slower.......really? What you on about P2 driver? we are talking about a no1 and no2 drivers not race positions.

So Stroll would only lose to Vettel due to aero and not because he lacks the skills to match and beat Seb? is this what you are trying to say here?
    now your generalizing....jeeeezzzuuus. I'm talking about the top 3 teams and not the whole grid.

I guess I should have stated that.....

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    This is what I have been saying after his scoring point finishes & defending skills against Alonso.
    At haas get him in place of Grosjean. K-mag have guts n speed. Provide good cars to both of them & see where Leclerc stands. By judging his race skills & quali performance, he would definetly shine at haas & knock the door of Ferrari.

If such is the case, why can’t no.2 driver improve his pace & quali performances in order to qualify p1 n take the title ????
    Why do u want to stay in p2 only ???

If such is the case, why can’t no.2 driver improve his pace & quali performances in order to qualify p1 n take the title ????
    Why do u want to stay in p2 only ???

Why cant the top 3 teams overtake each other during a race on the track or cannot follow close behind to overtake????

Why are they proposing a 2019 front wing change?????? with less aero elements???

now your generalizing....jeeeezzzuuus. I'm talking about the top 3 teams and not the whole grid.

I guess I should have stated that.....
    Which is irrelevant to Ferrari having LeClerc? Think you have totally missed the point.
    Forza Ferrari

Why cant the top 3 teams overtake each other during a race on the track or cannot follow close behind to overtake????
    We are not talking about that? It's not relevant to who Ferrari hire alongside Vettel.
    Forza Ferrari

Which is irrelevant to Ferrari having LeClerc? Think you have totally missed the point.
    We are not talking about that? It's not relevant to who Ferrari hire alongside Vettel.
    Sorry, I can't LeClerc's hunger along side Vettel for 2019....especially if Vettel is to be around another 3 to 5 years.

I really think some of you really don't get what it is to be a #2 for Ferrari. Driving is not the only part of Kimi’s job. Most in this forum like to conveniently pretend driving fast is the only thing expected of him when they complain about him. He was faster than Seb several times over this and last season. He was robbed of a Monaco win last year. Driving is only one of many parts of his job and though a couple of other drivers could possibly be as fast or faster, they cannot do the rest of his job. They could not stomach the team supporting actions Kimi does without hesitancy or question; for the team that are often quite self sacrificing to his race, psychology, and emotion.

What Ferrari needs along side Vettel is quite daunting and unfathomable. A driver that is pretty much on Vettels talent and consistency level, but willing to finish behind him every single time. It breaks a driver; and most drivers who accept that role never recover from it.

What Ferrari needs along side Vettel is quite daunting and unfathomable. A driver that is pretty much on Vettels talent and consistency level, but willing to finish behind him every single time. It breaks a driver; and most drivers who accept that role never recover from it.
    That's exactly right! That's why we need Max @ Ferrari , yes to everything until the race starts!

Sorry, I can't LeClerc's hunger along side Vettel for 2019....especially if Vettel is to be around another 3 to 5 years.

I really think some of you really don't get what it is to be a #2 for Ferrari. Driving is not the only part of Kimi’s job. Most in this forum like to conveniently pretend driving fast is the only thing expected of him when they complain about him. He was faster than Seb several times over this and last season. He was robbed of a Monaco win last year. Driving is only one of many parts of his job and though a couple of other drivers could possibly be as fast or faster, they cannot do the rest of his job. They could not stomach the team supporting actions Kimi does without hesitancy or question; for the team that are often quite self sacrificing to his race, psychology, and emotion.
    He was not robbed in Monaco lol Seb was quicker than him funnily enough. But if you believe what you say then why would Riccardo come to Ferrari if this is what happens to him lol
    Forza Ferrari

What Ferrari needs along side Vettel is quite daunting and unfathomable. A driver that is pretty much on Vettels talent and consistency level, but willing to finish behind him every single time.
    No they really don't.
    Forza Ferrari

get Kevin Magusen