Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Austrian GP - Pre-Race news

2018 Austrian GP - Pre-Race news

A 3rd DRS zone will be added

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgibNkOXUAAztTI.jpg

Pirelli analysis

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgiVFB7X4AE0-W-.jpg

Renault to bring long-awaited new MGU-K to Austria https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/r...-bull-1047510/

As I said in another thread last week I have a gut feeling Ferrari will finally do very well in Austria. It was on the cards last year and only the impossible task of passing a similar strong car gave Bottas the win last year. Exactly the same thing happened in Bahrain this year where Seb won because Bottas couldn't pass on fresher tyres. If you look at the circuit layout it's very similar to Bahrain. It's stop-and-go with a few corners midway through the lap. But what sets both circuits apart is obviously the altitude. Ferrari's engine/PU seems to be less thirsty than the Merc and that will give Ferrari the chance to run a richer fuelmix in Austria. For qualifying that should be a big advantage. Original soft, supersoft and ultrasoft tyres will be used. That's better than Bahrain and the same as Baku. Ferrari sure could use a 1-2 finish here.

Tyres compounds up until Russia below.
    https://news.pirelli.com/global/en-w...2018-compounds

I'm glad the next race is this weekend.
    We can forget about the last race quicker

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    A 3rd DRS zone will be added

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgibNkOXUAAztTI.jpg

Pirelli analysis

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgiVFB7X4AE0-W-.jpg

Renault to bring long-awaited new MGU-K to Austria https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/r...-bull-1047510/
    that could give red FOOLS a little more extra power and going along with the BEST chassis they have out of the top 3 teams.....well it could spoil our day....but probably NOT, WE HOPE....
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by 512 TR View Post
    As I said in another thread last week I have a gut feeling Ferrari will finally do very well in Austria. It was on the cards last year and only the impossible task of passing a similar strong car gave Bottas the win last year. Exactly the same thing happened in Bahrain this year where Seb won because Bottas couldn't pass on fresher tyres. If you look at the circuit layout it's very similar to Bahrain. It's stop-and-go with a few corners midway through the lap. But what sets both circuits apart is obviously the altitude. Ferrari's engine/PU seems to be less thirsty than the Merc and that will give Ferrari the chance to run a richer fuelmix in Austria. For qualifying that should be a big advantage. Original soft, supersoft and ultrasoft tyres will be used. That's better than Bahrain and the same as Baku. Ferrari sure could use a 1-2 finish here.

Tyres compounds up until Russia below.
    https://news.pirelli.com/global/en-w...2018-compounds
    Mention that to Kimi so he qualifies better when it matters, Q3
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Is it going to be dry weekend in Austria?

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Still long way until the weekend, but hopefully it is, unles we’re not competitive and we’ll be doing the rain dance

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    Still long way until the weekend, but hopefully it is, unles we’re not competitive and we’ll be doing the rain dance

50% rain Friday and dry Sat & Sun......you never know in these parts......weather changes constantly.

tyre selection for all teams

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgiiLV_WAAISDK-.jpg

Will the track also be painted to look like tires? I wonder how the drivers liked it?

Seb needs the win in Austria because Lewis will win in GB and I predict a Merc 1-2 there.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    Seb needs the win in Austria because Lewis will win in GB and I predict a Merc 1-2 there.
    I suppose the chances are high of a HAM win at Silverstone, but it's not a certainty and what satisfaction it would give us to see a Ferrari win! Likewise we need to win in Austria. The weather in UK has been very hot recently but you can guarantee that by the time Silverstone comes round, it will change and the odds will be against us. But we'll try!

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    I suppose the chances are high of a HAM win at Silverstone, but it's not a certainty and what satisfaction it would give us to see a Ferrari win! Likewise we need to win in Austria.
    OMG A Ferrari win at Silverstone especially if we could spring a 1, 2 out of the bag. A lot of people would find that a hard one to take.
    We keep our hopes high for Sunday and pray for a fair wind on Seb & Kimi's backs.
    I see Seb has been slated by the Italian press but he's old enough to handle all of that but I would hate young Charles to have to deal with similar at the tender age of 20. It could ruin him. It really is the lion's den when things go wrong.

Forza Jules

Seb will win at Silverstone, I am due a win there
    Forza Ferrari

That would be so great in front of these HAM/Mercedes fans.

tyre selection for Silverstone:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgnB9pnW4AA9Rpd?format=jpg

8 sets of soft tires. I think the soft tires will suit the sf71h very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Seb will win at Silverstone, I am due a win there
    And Austria

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    And Austria
    That would be ideal, two wins in a row especially one at Merc,s home race.....that would be the cherry on top

Just out of curiosity, what’s the car set up in Red Bull ring? Is it low downforce?

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what’s the car set up in Red Bull ring? Is it low downforce?
    The track is 700m above sea level, so there is less downforce due to the thinner air. Thinner air means the turbo works harder.

The track is 700m above sea level, so there is less downforce due to the thinner air. Thinner air means the turbo works harder.
    So medium downforce? Do you think our car at the moment works best when at medium downforce circumstances?

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    I suppose the chances are high of a HAM win at Silverstone, but it's not a certainty and what satisfaction it would give us to see a Ferrari win! Likewise we need to win in Austria. The weather in UK has been very hot recently but you can guarantee that by the time Silverstone comes round, it will change and the odds will be against us. But we'll try!
    I would poop twice and die if Seb wins in Silverstone, but I don't see it happening. This is why a win in Austria with Ham finishing down the order is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    Current tyres + halo = more drag, so teams need to shed downforce. Straight line speed is more important here than cornering speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    So medium downforce? Do you think our car at the moment works best when at medium downforce circumstances?
    What's medium downforce???? As to opposed to minimum and maximum downforce??

It's RedBulls track so not so many corners plus a third DRS....... so less downforce than Paul Ricard.

[Autobild] Sebastian Vettel remains calm and not in panic mode after Mercedes‘s superior win in France

Vettel: "Especially the pace of my teammate Kimi in the 2nd stint shows me: already on Sunday in Austria, everything can be different. There is no reason to panic."

What's medium downforce???? As to opposed to minimum and maximum downforce??

It's RedBulls track so not so many corners plus a third DRS....... so less downforce than Paul Ricard.
    So RB are good at less downforce? I thought quite the opposite given the fact that their biggest advantages is coming from their chassis and aero and not their engine.

[QUOTE=jgonzalesm6;977328]What's medium downforce???? As to opposed to minimum and maximum downforce??

It's" Max "imum Verstappen ! 2nd place! He's the guy to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Current tyres + halo = more drag, so teams need to shed downforce. Straight line speed is more important here than cornering speed.
    Thanks

Both ferraris needs to lock out front row. That’s imp, kimi needs to lift up his q3 performances.
    Vettel needs to avoid silly mistakes...!!! Already this year there are two, zero from ham. I think these mistakes might decide the championship.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Both ferraris needs to lock out front row. That’s imp, kimi needs to lift up his q3 performances.
    Vettel needs to avoid silly mistakes...!!! Already this year there are two, zero from ham. I think these mistakes might decide the championship.
    Mistakes always decide...

Will see this track should suit us much more as France. Yes Hamilton didnt make many mistakes but he was dog slow in Montreal, Baku, China. Seb was never lacking pace this year, Hamilton did, end of the story. I hope we will strike back in Austria.

Forza Ferrari, Vettel, Kimi.