Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Austrian GP - RACE

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi View Post
    http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...ay-of-disaster
    The blunder meant that while Max Verstappen, Sebastian Vettel, Kimi Raikkonen and Daniel Ricciardo all enjoyed a cheap Virtual Safety Car, Hamilton had to take a 'full-fat' pit-stop with the extra 10 or so seconds of lost lap time demoting the aggrieved Mercedes driver from first to fourth.

BUUUULLLLLCRAP!!!!!!!!!!!! Hamilton was coming up to the pit lane entry (VSC flags waving on the signals boards) as he could see. He entered pit lane entry then exited out of it...he got no instructions from his pits. Mercedes camp messed up...which is rare....but nonetheless...they screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    BUUUULLLLLCRAP!!!!!!!!!!!! Hamilton was coming up to the pit lane entry (VSC flags waving on the signals boards) as he could see. He entered pit lane entry then exited out of it...he got no instructions from his pits. Mercedes camp messed up...which is rare....but nonetheless...they screwed up.
    they mess up fair amount, just as we do. This is karma from China.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Which is what the article says? so what are you upset about?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    Hamster is not happy
    Anyone got a picture of Toto/Niki when Hamster dnf-ed?

Quote Originally Posted by da_one View Post
    There is no clear advantage yet between Ferrari and Mercedes. Also, let's not leave the Red Bulls out of the equation. The thing is, without the custom Merc tires from Pirelli, the Mercs are quite vulnerable. We only have 1 more race with the Merc custom tires at Silverstone. Hopefully, Toto's lobbying of making this special tire the norm in all remaining races will fall on deaf ears.
    Yeah, the way RBs are taking those turns, so much quicker than us. They should not be disregarded. Especially Hungary, S'pore

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    Yeah, the way RBs are taking those turns, so much quicker than us. They should not be disregarded. Especially Hungary, S'pore
    I believe we were running lower downforce. That meant that we lost on the corners but gained on the straights. Lower downforce also meant that our tyres were in better shape.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    That's true. Seeing how confident those RBs taking an even shorter corner line than Ferrari and Mercedes is quite a homework for Maranello team.

With three races to go before long break, I expect Ferrari to bring some small updates before another big one coming during the second half of season.

I really wish both drivers keep it tidy and clean on the second half. Seeing how things turn 180 last year still gives me nightmare at some point.

Bottas experienced a retirement owing to a loss of hydraulic pressure on lap 14.

Hamilton had to retire his car today after he lost fuel pressure on lap 63 - ending the longest point-scoring run in F1 history.

Looks like Mercs new update is not kind on the tyres. Ferrari were so kind on tyres it shocking

Kimi again got no orders. Sky's theory shattered yet again. We got lucky, no doubt, but there was a reverse scenario in China. Verstappen could have been right in the fight had he avoided some mistakes.

We are leading the WCC, unusual sight in July :)

Quote Originally Posted by phsyklone View Post
    Looks like Mercs new update is not kind on the tyres. Ferrari were so kind on tyres it shocking
    Kimi told after the race that they were just saving the tires too long. He was waiting "go" to start pushing - few laps too late we can see now. Still can't blame anyone, must have been difficult decision for the team and driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Michal2_F1 View Post
    Kimi again got no orders. Sky's theory shattered yet again. We got lucky, no doubt, but there was a reverse scenario in China. Verstappen could have been right in the fight had he avoided some mistakes.

We are leading the WCC, unusual sight in July :)
    Any race highlights? I'm so ing happy 😁

Mercedes, for 2018, have had issues with their tyres. Our car is setup for any compound.

A 4x WDC vs a 4x WDC in like cars(finally) with one having a massive aero upgrade and a spec 2.1 engine upgrade while the other did not. Vettel outbraking and overtaking Lewis just showed who has more talent. I always knew this.

Goddess Lady Luck (Fortuna) trumps (literally) Goddes Karma. Our european roman goddess still fancies Ferrari. No joke. Because I don't know if it ever has happened befoe that Ferrari's biggest rivals end up with TWO DNFs while Ferrari score a 2-3. It's a massive 33-0 (18+15) punch in Mercs gut and it has to hurt Toto and Niki. It just has to, no matter what. I'm still not sure if I actually witnessed what I actually did on the screen today. I actually cried tears of joy when Lewis slowed down and I was waving my fists at the screen when Bottas went out. For real. You should have seen me. These race weekends is what still keep me interested in F1 because no matter how much Ferrari has to endure some times the others, some times, put a spanner in their own works. Go to hell Derek Warwick! You were a bad driver and now you are bad race steward.

Congratulations to Red Bull Racing, Max Verstappen, Christian Horner, Adrian Newey and all those dutch fans at the circuit. I hope you enjoy this one. Ferrari will enjoy this 2-3 even if it only means leading both championships for one week. Because there is no denying that we will, most likely, get a hard whopping at Silverstone in normal condtions. BUT, the big BUT, Ferrari have scored basicly what they should have at the circuits so far, in total. The SC in China, the bad luck with Kimi at Bahrain and Barcelona, the too few points at Monaco and Canada was given back today by Lady Luck. Big time! We need to survive until the summer break. Now all factors have given us that chance.

I said all along that if we're good in Bahrain we should be good in Austria. The Merc updates kept us from the front row in qualifying (well played Merc at the right time), then we lost places after a few laps BUT the race pace was always going to be there because of the circuit charateristics (mostly stop-and-go). Max was just given a too big of a headstart after a few laps. But we'll take it, obviously. Now it should be rather easy for you all to be able to see where the different cars will be very good. It's pretty obvious.

Some may feel I went over the line with hoping Kimi would take out Lewis at the start. That's fine. You can laugh at me. I give you that. BUT nothing is over, you just don't turn it off (Rambo quote). It has only just begun. Ferrari were being bullied here this weekend, and after the race at Paul Ricard. But we have Lady Luck on our side!
    Last edited by 512 TR; 1st July 2018 at 16:34.

I realise now, we are now in a better position points wise in both championships than we were before the Merc/FIA Boxing Seb, Penalty1, Penalty2 and special Merc tyre collusion.

But we need to be more politically attacking.
    We are too quiet, too polite. Apparently the contact between Max and Kimmi was not even looked at by the stewards, we never escalated it....

Time to get our elbows out, be more rude with bias media and call out the conspiring enemy!
    I even saw one of the Stewards taking a selfie with Max...

How was it possible that we had no deg on our cars and everyone was struggling with blistering. Is it downforce related or race set up for us which will give us a clue as to why we were struggling in qualy ? And with the silverstone rumored aero update could we seriously get our respect back in qualy ?

How was it possible that we had no deg on our cars and everyone was struggling with blistering. Is it downforce related or race set up for us which will give us a clue as to why we were struggling in qualy ? And with the silverstone rumored aero update could we seriously get our respect back in qualy ?
    Hard compound tires for Silverstone. First time this season.

Now when the emotions are more calmed and we fully absorbed our massive victory, let me ask this - do you think Merc's PU upgrade failed massively in terms of reliability? If so, this trend might continue for them.

It's our car setup...we've been kind to tires all year w/ exception of Spain where we went the wrong way w/ new suspension. We run less downforce than RB and Merc. You can see this when you look at speed trap figures we've been ahead of them basically all year in those numbers in almost every session.

The Ferrari now, in comparison to the Merc, needs a bit more front DF b/c you can see the car understeering off the turns on the cold ultra-soft tires. The key is getting that front DF into the machine w/o losing our top-end speed. Therein lies the rub. Hopefully we can hit back w/ the updates next weekend.

Miracles do happen!! Both Mercs DNF and Russia beat Spain on penalties!

Hard compound tires for Silverstone. First time this season.
    Oh please don't say it's a merc biased tyre.

To-day was a great result. 33 points more than Merc got.
    We now need a 1, 2 at Silverstone that would wipe a few smiles away.

Forza Jules

Just reading this thread from the beginning, its funny how the so call veteran on the forum were talking **** at the beginning, what come around goes around; its formula one and during the race anything can happen, Ferrari had their misfortune before now its Merc time. we take the points gifted us today like other did before us that is formula 1. If i remember during testing most gave Ferrari no chance and today they are leading both driver and constructor championship

Great result after the doom and gloom we were feeling before the race, without Seb's penalty we may have won but we still would have needed the 2 Merc DNFs, at long last they're not quite so invincible! Hope it won't come back to bite us at Silverstone, but great drives from our boys and the Haas and Sauber guys too, I think the team were right not to swap Kimi and Seb on this occasion, and a Kimi win would have been well deserved. Damn that Max for nearly punting Kimi off earlier, but rather he won than HAM. Phew!

Quote Originally Posted by racingbradley View Post

To-day was a great result. 33 points more than Merc got.
    We now need a 1, 2 at Silverstone that would wipe a few smiles away.
    I was at the race when this was a thing.. May we do it again!

Attachment 7460
    Trying to be less angry..

Hamilton won three races this year: two on Mercedes tyre, one when Bottas suffered a puncture three laps from home.

Quote Originally Posted by ScuderiaBuckeye View Post
    It's our car setup...we've been kind to tires all year w/ exception of Spain where we went the wrong way w/ new suspension. We run less downforce than RB and Merc. You can see this when you look at speed trap figures we've been ahead of them basically all year in those numbers in almost every session.

The Ferrari now, in comparison to the Merc, needs a bit more front DF b/c you can see the car understeering off the turns on the cold ultra-soft tires. The key is getting that front DF into the machine w/o losing our top-end speed. Therein lies the rub. Hopefully we can hit back w/ the updates next weekend.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by racingbradley View Post
    by that you mean the shaved Pirelli (Mercedes) tyre??? Yes, it is....it's the last race with these Pirelli-Mercedes tyres

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Hope we are not going to miss this couple of points at the end
    How would you feel if you are Kimi , I will always prefer Ferrari to win on merit. if it was the last two races then it will be understandable. more over once both Merc retired Kimi should keep his position

by that you mean the shaved Pirelli (Mercedes) tyre??? Yes, it is....it's the last race with these Pirelli-Mercedes tyres
    Well they've gotta give hamilton the best chance for him to win his home race.

Quote Originally Posted by vetalo View Post
    How would you feel if you are Kimi , I will always prefer Ferrari to win on merit. if it was the last two races then it will be understandable. more over once both Merc retired Kimi should keep his position
    Here's how I see it. After every race in the F1 Championship the championship is reset. After this reset we are now +1 in the WDC and +10 in the WCC. As long as Ferrari does a better job than Merc the rest of the championship, we will win both titles. If Seb outperforms Hamilton from here to the end, he is WDC.

Yes it would suck to lose by 1 or 2 points, but we also threw away points in China (pit wall letting Bottas undercut Seb), Baku (Seb on his restart), Spain (wrong direction w/ new suspension), and France (Seb on his start).

Kimi deserved P2 today. This was his best drive from start to finish of a GP since he was at Lotus. He was aggressive from the very get go and if this Ferrari had a little more bite at the front end he probably doesn't run wide in turns 1 and 3 like he did and he doesn't let Max get past him b/c Max got a run on him after Kimi messed up the previous corner.

what a day. I could get used to Ham DNFs