Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12232425262728293031323334353637
Results 1,081 to 1,106 of 1106

Thread: 2018 British GP - RACE

Quote Originally Posted by 512 TR View Post
    I missed the race. I had a very nasty incident. I was minding my own business on the sidewalk and a drunk driver hit me from behind and I ended up under a big SUW. I was in a medical coma for a day in hospital. This happend on sunday just prior to the race. I'm very lucky to be alive. Luckily the ride heigh of that model probably saved my life as my head wasn't crushed. But now I look like hell. Hopefully it will go over after a few weeks. Just wanted to tell you all this.

Fantastic result by the team at Silverstone. It's like a big consolation for me. I also have a crushed wrist.

Never drink and drive!
    Get well. I hope you can recover fully soon

"Big things have small beginings"
    "Perseverence is power"

I missed the race. I had a very nasty incident. I was minding my own business on the sidewalk and a drunk driver hit me from behind and I ended up under a big SUW. I was in a medical coma for a day in hospital. This happend on sunday just prior to the race. I'm very lucky to be alive. Luckily the ride heigh of that model probably saved my life as my head wasn't crushed. But now I look like hell. Hopefully it will go over after a few weeks. Just wanted to tell you all this.

Fantastic result by the team at Silverstone. It's like a big consolation for me. I also have a crushed wrist.

Never drink and drive!
    Auts!
    Sorry to hear that and hoping for a quick recovery.

Never drink and drive!
    get well soon.
    Life might be hard, Concrete is a lot harder

Get well soon, brother.
    As for the drunk driver, hopefully justice is served.

Never drink and drive!

Never drink and drive!
    Get well brother

Never drink and drive!
    Get well soon..!!!

Sorry to hear about what you went through. I wish you speedy recovery!

Never drink and drive!
    Get well soon mate!
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Never drink and drive!
    Sorry to hear a about your accident!!!
    I can only wish you quick recovery. And by that ,i mean SF-71 like quick!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Never drink and drive!
    Wow, that's horrible, hope you make a quick and full recovery!!!

Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Never drink and drive!
    Get well soon

Hoping for a speedy recovery for you 512 TR
    I hope the driver is prosecuted to the fullest extend, we need to keep people like that off the road.

Aldo costa leaving mercedes heading back to his motherland in italy back to culture very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Hoping for a speedy recovery for you 512 TR
    I hope the driver is prosecuted to the fullest extend, we need to keep people like that off the road.
    +1
    dangerous drivers get off lightly too often.

you must be talking about your Nintendo..
    Quote Originally Posted by chinmay View Post
    The reason Ferrari didn't set up the car for straights was because they couldn't defeat Mercedes that way, deployment kicks in. If Ferrari can set up the car for straights and still be on pole, there would be no problems in race. Mercedes did it so why didn't Ferrari? Because Ferrari Spec 1 power unit was not capable of taking Mercedes 1st Spec 1 on 1 on a track where deployment for majority of the lap is key.

If pole was possible with either configurations then obviously Ferrari would have gone with the fast-on-straights configuration, in the end Ferrari went for a configuration which allowed them to grab pole and have a better effect on tyres on Sunday.
    Last edited by paneristi; 13th July 2018 at 08:09.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    She presented the 3rd place trophy to Kimi. Here's more pics of here that day. Check that off the bucket list.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhvZ4jIXkAAUeu_.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhvgZJwXcAAYeGg.jpg

and yes, she races in her Porsche. Here she is in front of it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dh7m9qTWkAEKFOO.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/10171...g&name=600x314
    Beautiful pictures from both of you. What a lucky lady she will remember last Sunday for the rest of her life.
    I reckon the Iceman has a warm heart.

Forza Jules

She presented the 3rd place trophy to Kimi. Here's more pics of here that day. Check that off the bucket list.

That is admirable.

"Big things have small beginings"
    "Perseverence is power"

Great stuff. Very nice to see the champs and Verstappen give her a warm reception.

Disappointed Since 2010

Thanks for posting this, Ed! Always nice to hear stories like hers.

Watched a video of her's on her site, showing how she gets into her car, then proceeds to disassemble & stow her wheelchair.
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

I just have big swollen face. That should go away. At least I didn't lose my eyes or any other organ. But my hand is badly damaged because I proteced by head under the car with. But I take all this as Ferrari won and Silverstone. I take the pain with joy (oh not quite, but still).

This will be a dirty other half of the season. Very dirty as the gloves are now off. Of course Toto and Lauda will plot something. But points are points. There are no "nice" guys in racing.
    Wow! So glad your injuries are not more severe, as you say if it were a lower clearance... yikes!!!

I hope everything heals well & quickly too, you can have more time to watch the race over & over while you recover.

Get well soon!
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Interesting Analysis

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/o...st-silverstone

Was Mercedes fastest at Silverstone?
    by Mark Hughes on 16th July 2018

Which of the two leading F1 constructors had the upper hand at Silverstone – and who has the advantage going into the double-header?

Mercedes and Ferrari, 2018 British F1 Grand Prix

The battle between Ferrari and Mercedes is an intriguing one ahead of the Germany and Hungary Formula 1 Grand Prix double-header.

It’s clear both teams are on a very productive development path with their quite different cars, and de-coupling the respective effectiveness of those developments from the circuit-specific patterns of their different concepts is lending an extra dimension to the competition.

Some fans seem to doubt the assessment I reached about the British Grand Prix that Ferrari had a faster car than Mercedes on the day (an assessment, incidentally, that Mercedes personnel largely agreed with). Those fans claim that only Lewis Hamilton’s first lap knock from Kimi Räikkönen prevented him from being able to beat Sebastian Vettel on pure performance and that his drive to second place from the back, and his pace after his stop when he was catching Vettel at 1sec per lap, illustrates as much. While that’s not a ridiculous conclusion, it doesn’t stand up to closer scrutiny. So here I’ve collated a few figures to illuminate why not.

First, a reminder of how the races are run in the current era and how that impacts upon when we see the raw performance of the cars and when we don’t: if you have a faster car than your opponent and track position over him, you try to pull out a big enough gap to be out of his undercut range by the time the pitstop window opens. Typically, this can be anything between 1.5sec and 3sec, depending upon tyre degradation, length of the lap, pitstop time loss and a number of other factors. You always strive to have a big enough gap that even if he gets onto his new tyres a lap before you, you can pit the lap after and still emerge ahead.

Once you have that undercut gap, you will back off and judge your pace against that of your chaser and not take any more from the rubber than is absolutely necessary. In this way, you can maximise the potential length of your stint, giving you more strategic flexibility, and also it leaves you less exposed to a safety car. Should you just push on using your greater pace to increase the gap every lap, a safety car would potentially lose you all of that gap – and leave you trying to defend the restart laps on worn-out rubber.

That’s why, in the modern era, you never see a car simply disappear into the distance, ever further ahead of the pack every lap. At some point, you will be guided into just keeping that small undercut buffer behind you. That way, depending upon the fuel demand, you can either a) save fuel, ready to let rip with full power when it might be needed or b) waste fuel with an over-rich setting (this also helping to protect the engine) to make the car lighter because you’re now on schedule not to need all that you put in the tank. Upon rejoining, still with track position over your opponent, you will probably take the early laps easier than him – because you can afford to keep the tyres in shape whereas he’s obliged to chase you harder, just in case you actually have a problem.

In the early laps of Silverstone, Vettel simply blitzed the field (albeit with Hamilton having been spun to the back). The Ferrari’s gap over Valtteri Bottas’ Mercedes (unchallenged from behind and not compromised), at the end of the opening lap, was 1.9sec. On lap two it was 3.5sec, then 4sec, 4.5sec and 5.2sec on each subsequent lap. That was comfortably enough to be out of undercut reach and, from lap six onwards, Vettel backed off by around 0.5sec. He and Bottas were doing this in fully fuelled-up cars and on the soft tyres with which they’d qualified on in Q2.

RELATED:

MPH: Grosjean's career up in smoke?
    2018 British Grand Prix report
    MPH: Could Kimi really be going back to McLaren?
    From lap 16, as Vettel began paying for the early pace with his tyres, Bottas began nibbling into that gap by a couple of tenths per lap. From Ferrari’s perspective, that was no real concern. At 0.2sec per lap, Bottas would never have got anywhere near undercut range before the first stops. Ferrari brought Vettel in from a 4.5sec lead on lap 20, Bottas came in the lap after. Into the second stint, Vettel again began gently extending his lead over the Mercedes by enough to remain out of undercut range.

Bottas’ Mercedes was nowhere near the pace of Vettel’s Ferrari. But what about Hamilton’s? His early laps were a DRS-assisted blur through the midfield. By the time he’d reached the top-six, his tyres were pretty much finished. He pitted for new mediums on lap 25 – and on these he was the fastest man on track for the next six laps, taking 1sec per lap out of his deficit to Vettel. It’s this that gets put forward as the evidence of Hamilton having the pace to have won it, without the first lap incident. But that’s not comparing like-for-like. Hamilton was more than 20sec adrift of Vettel and no threat to him. Hamilton was charging all-out in his attempt to catch Räikkönen. Vettel was cruising and maintaining his undercut gap to Bottas, his only competition.

But what if we compare Vettel’s early lap pace to Hamilton’s post-pitstop pace? Then we can assume both were close to their maximum – though on different fuel loads and a different compound of tyre. So let’s put some numbers on those differences, taking Vettel’s first five flying laps and comparing them to Hamilton’s first five of the six laps between rejoining from his stop and the safety car (I haven’t counted the sixth as he was lapping Sergey Sirotkin).

Fuel weight: with around 105kg on board to start the race, Vettel’s first flying lap will have began with 103kg, reducing by around 2kg each lap. Each 10kg of weight costs around 0.35sec around Silverstone. So, his initial fuel weight penalty would be around 3.6sec on his first flying lap, down to around 3.33sec on his fifth.

By the time Hamilton rejoined after his first stop, he would have had only around 55kg on board, costing him around 1.93sec, down to 1.65sec by his fifth post-stop lap.

However, Hamilton was on the medium tyre, which was around 1sec per lap slower than the soft on which Vettel had been driving in that first stint. But it also degraded – according to Pirelli’s numbers – at about half the rate (0.05sec per lap compared to the soft’s 0.1sec per lap). For the purposes of the comparison, we’ve ignored the unmeasurable track improvement as the race went on and more rubber was laid down.

Taking those numbers as our order of magnitude guides, we get the following picture:

Vettel lap time (laps 2-6) 92.918sec 92.723sec 93.108sec 92.991sec 93.359sec
    Weight penalty 3.61sec 3.54sec 3.47sec 3.4sec 3.33sec
    Fuel-corrected 89.308sec 89.183sec 89.638sec 89.591sec 90.029sec
    Tyre degradation (softs) 0.1sec 0.2sec 0.3sec 0.4sec 0.5sec
    Weight/Tyre-corrected 89.208sec 88.983sec 89.336sec 89.191sec 89.529sec

Hamilton lap time (laps 27-31) 92.481sec 91.682sec 91.546sec 92.156sec 91.810sec
    Weight penalty 1.93sec 1.86sec 1.79sec 1.72sec 1.65sec
    Fuel-corrected time 90.551sec 89.822sec 89.756sec 90.436sec 90.16sec
    Compound adjusted 89.551sec 88.822sec 88.756sec 89.436sec 89.16sec
    Tyre deg (mediums) 0.05sec 0.1sec 0.15sec 0.2sec 0.25sec
    Weight/Tyre-corrected lap 89.601sec 88.922sec 88.906sec 89.636sec 89.41sec
    Corrected comparison Vettel Hamilton Hamilton difference
    89.208sec 89.601sec +0.393sec
    88.983sec 88.822sec -0.161sec
    89.336sec 88.906sec -0.57sec
    89.191sec 89.636sec +0.445sec
    89.529sec 89.41sec -0.119sec

Average corrected lap time 89.249sec 89.275sec
    Contrary to the impression given by Hamilton catching Vettel at 1sec per lap for a few laps after the stops, we can see there is virtually no difference in the corrected pace of Vettel’s first five laps with those of Hamilton as he was chasing Räikkönen later (Vettel’s average an insignificant 0.026sec faster). Hamilton was only catching up because Vettel was under no threat and cruising. Furthermore, the attached comparison almost certainly favours Hamilton slightly – in that the track will have been faster by laps 27-31 than it was on laps two to six, and that Vettel was not motivated to be on his absolute limit as he was comfortably pulling away from Bottas, whereas Hamilton was absolutely motivated to be on full attack, chasing Räikkönen with half the race gone.

This all tallies with what the teams were seeing in how the lap time of each car was being derived: that the Ferrari was as fast as Hamilton’s Mercedes through the corners and slightly faster down the straights. The margins were small, but the Ferrari was faster at a Silverstone that should, in theory, have played to the Mercedes’ main remaining strength – it carries less drag for a given level of downforce, helped by its slightly longer wheelbase.

We now head to a track (Hockenheim) where the two concepts might be expected to be quite equally matched, followed by another (Hungaroring) where the Ferrari’s downforce advantage might be expected to put it ahead (though possibly behind Red Bull). But that’s assuming the big development guns of one or the other teams aren’t going to change the picture yet again.

We are witnessing the two best-funded, most technologically-advanced F1 teams of all time vying with each other to make the fastest F1 car of all time – and which car that is seems to be changing almost race by race. Which of them can better maintain this brutal grind will likely decide the outcome of this championship.

Wow, just wow! Thanks again for all your kind words! I feel much better now than six days ago when I was here the last time. Everything is going fine. I had to go back to the hopsital for some checkups on thursday and the doc gave me this medical wrist brace or whatever it's called (to stabilize everything because I had some big pain) and it basicly coverd the entire wrist, hand and fingers so I haven't been able to write on a keyboard for more than 5 days (I could finally take it off today). I probably shouldn't have used and moved it so much after the accident and the following days (painkillers, can't use them all the time). Now it's bearable.

Interesting post above. My opinion is, judging by what happened after lap 1, is that Lewis would have won the race had Kimi not knocked him out. In a normal race without any mishaps for either front driver, Lewis would have won. Now MSM can spin the final results anyway they want to cover up for Lewis and Merc but I mean, come on. Even losing P1 to Seb at the start probably would have ended in Lewis winning anyway, although not 100% sure. Had he on the other hand made a good start and kept the lead he would have won easily and by as much as Toto would have let him use the PU. Give ur take 10-15 seconds just for show and for the audience at the circuit.

TR y to take it easy with your great recovery so far! "Piano piano si arriva lontano!" Great to see how F1 keeps you busy and happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    TR y to take it easy with your great recovery so far! "Piano piano si arriva lontano!" Great to see how F1 keeps you busy and happy.
    Thanks, I will. Swedish healthcare is going down the drain though and they are sending everyone home as soon as they can nowdays to save money. At least here in Stockholm. Years ago, someone in my situation would probably have been hospitalized for at least a week, or longer, just in case. But they sent me home last wednesday morning. I know I have no hemorrhage in my head because I had a scan. But as soon as that was clear...here I was, a week ago watching a re-run of the race and writing some posts with a badly smashed up hand and wrist and on strong painkillers...later laughing out loud at the post-race press conference.

A word about the guy that hit me. He apparently stayed and phoned the ambulance and then the police came. At least he did that. They've told me he apparently have said he hadn't been drinking that same day, it was a carry over from the previous day (not that it makes any difference). So he probably thought he was in the clear and that's why he stayed. Not that it was an empty street or anything, there must have been witnesses. There is a police report filed on my behalf which I've signed. We'll see what happens. Thanks again.

To everyone. One more thing about the analysis article above. Why is the the writer comparing Bottas' pace to Seb's and not Lewis' pace to Kimis? The latter one is what actually matter. But thing is, as soon as there is SC or two in a race every analysis of race pace is impossible to make. You just have to go with your gut feeling.