Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: 2018 German GP : RACE

I’ll get crucified for saying this but I believe Valtteri would be a great Numer One driver for the scuderia. As a number 2 in MB, he excels and has been bullet-proof throughout his campaign as far as self-induced mistakes. He’s got a great personality and sounds genuine, honest. Ok, I’m ready for the stoning.

FerrariSteve Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by doublesixes View Post
    I’ll get crucified for saying this but I believe Valtteri would be a great Numer One driver for the scuderia. As a number 2 in MB, he excels and has been bullet-proof throughout his campaign as far as self-induced mistakes. He’s got a great personality and sounds genuine, honest. Ok, I’m ready for the stoning.
    I'd rather we didn't have a #1 driver who was happy to be goldenboys lacky.. no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariSteve View Post
    I'd rather we didn't have a #1 driver who was happy to be goldenboys lacky.. no thanks.
    But that’s the sad reality of Formula 1 today. If he wants to drive for a top team, he has to eat crow until he gets a chance to get picked up by another top team. He’s been a pole sitter and a race winner many times. In other words, he’s got what it takes to become a champion. Too bad the Dark Force has already signed him for another year...

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariSteve View Post
    He is most likely not happy about it but he does what his employer tells him to do.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

Bottas must be so frustrated this season. He should have won a race by now, but had reliability issues, puncture, etc and then he is not allowed to attack Ham.

He has the personality of a log

He lacks the killer instinct/ruthlessness to be the alpha dog in a top team.

Quote Originally Posted by da_one View Post
    He lacks the killer instinct/ruthlessness to be the alpha dog in a top team.
    But if the dude gets top notch hardware and a green light from team bosses, I’m certain he can deliver and develop this alpha dog mentality in the process. Jmho.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    He has the personality of a log
    That is a great quality. Well, unless one prefers for example Hamilton's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    �������� Those symbols were supposed to be a clapping hand and a thumbs up!
    Last edited by doublesixes; 23rd July 2018 at 18:51.

The grid has blessed us with so much diversity, that is almost impossible not to like at least one of them. Bottas has been in F1 for some time now and although he drives for a top team, he is not a fan favorite. May I might add he is probably the least popular driver from the top 3 teams.

The grid has blessed us with so much diversity, that is almost impossible not to like at least one of them. Bottas has been in F1 for some time now and although he drives for a top team, he is not a fan favorite. May I might add he is probably the least popular driver from the top 3 teams.
    And that’s precisely what we need. A pro that keeps his head down, doesn’t make mistakes and keeps a very low profile. Extroverts are not welcome, in my view.

Different people appreciate different things in people, no problem with that. For me Bottas anyday over for example permasmile Grosjean.

[AMuS] Vettel lost 5s when he was stuck behind Kimi. Kimi was on a two stop strategy but Vettel was on a 1-stop strategy. If Ferrari would have made the switch earlier, Vettel‘s gap during the rain phase would have been bigger and he might not had to push like he did..

[AMuS] reports that in the Sachskurve were Vettel had his crash it wasn‘t just wet. Some photographers report that Sirotkin lost oil in that area. So Vettel might have slipped on that....

MIGHT

Sirotkin during the German GP......

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Diyyul-XcAAL8cu.jpg

Every wonder what the SF71-H looks like underneath?? (German GP)

Attachment 7478

Different people appreciate different things in people, no problem with that. For me Bottas anyday over for example permasmile Grosjean.
    Well no one likes someone who constantly complains, so I can't imagine Grosjean having a lot of fans

Quote Originally Posted by Stormsearcher View Post
    Stop your whining dude. Vettel threw away an easy victory. Kimi was compromised in the bargain (he could have won). I understand it from a team point of view but thats the fact.
    And merc have not issued team orders this year at least. Hamilton was ahead of bottas when he was asked to hold position. ANY team would do the same. Besides, its legal to do so now. So stop cribbing!
    I am not whining. I am just saying Ferrari should do exactly as Mercedes. Hold positions are a team order and I dont mind it, only wish Ferrari would have the common sense to do the same.

Maurizio clearly dropped the ball by ruining Vettels tires and letting Kimi holding him up Further more, Kimi wore out his tires to up his pace instead of saving tires. In the end, Maurizios decision ruined both drivers race.

Vettel would have been 15 seconds more ahead if they had swapped cars immediately, and could even have made another pit stop for new tires. Now instead, his tires were gone when the rain came.

I blame MA as much as Vettel for what happened, Raikkonen can not help that he is slower than Vettel.
    "Formula 1 is not a sport anymore” - Fernando Alonso

Vettel was on a one stop strategy. Kimi was on a two stop strategy.

Mercedes invited FIA to its motorhome – Wolff
    By Balazs Szabo on 23 Jul 2018, 08:00

Toto Wolff revealed that FIA representatives including Formula One’s race director Charlie Whiting visited the Mercedes motorhome today, but the Austrian described the meeting as “regular business”.

Mercedes have been the dominant force since 2014 when the double-hybrid power unit was introduced. The Anglo-German team’s performance advantage was mainly down to its seemingly unbeatable power unit, the squad hailed multiple times the efficiency of its hybrid unit. After Ferrari made significant gains in 2017, the Italian team closed that gap on the engine side even more coming into the 2018 championship to erase that deficit completely for the summer races.

Feeling the pressure, the reigning world champion team filed a complaint in May which prompted the FIA to launch a thorough investigation into the legality of the Ferrari power unit. Following a three-week-long scrutiny, the governing body found nothing illegal, but asked the Italian team to make modifications to the hardware and software of its power unit to calm down the rivals.

Ferrari then presented itself in a very commanding way in the Silverstone and Hockenheim qualifying, GPS data showed that the SF71H was gaining huge chunk of times on the long straights. As Mercedes finds it difficult to accept that it lost its huge competitive advantage, it commenced a investigation into how it can regain its power advantage. FIA race director Charlie Whiting and other FIA representatives met Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff in Hockenheim on Saturday to discuss power unit issues.

"It's very important from the mindset you need to have, to say 'What can we do in order to achieve that power output?' rather than looking over and saying, 'it's not legal'. We are in a situation that we are looking at ourselves, how can we achieve that, and if we cannot achieve it, how can somebody else achieve it?" Wolff is quoted as saying by autosport.com.

The former race driver and instructor estimated the power loss to Ferrari at half a second during the German Grand Prix qualifying session.

"We need to find out how we can increase out power output, and not one single second I want to look at Ferrari, I want to look at ourselves, look at Mercedes and say 'is there anything we have missed?'

"If we want to win this championship, or stay in the hunt in this championship, we've got a severe warning today in terms of what we have seen," the Austrian concluded.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
    I am not whining. I am just saying Ferrari should do exactly as Mercedes. Hold positions are a team order and I dont mind it, only wish Ferrari would have the common sense to do the same.

Maurizio clearly dropped the ball by ruining Vettels tires and letting Kimi holding him up Further more, Kimi wore out his tires to up his pace instead of saving tires. In the end, Maurizios decision ruined both drivers race.

Vettel would have been 15 seconds more ahead if they had swapped cars immediately, and could even have made another pit stop for new tires. Now instead, his tires were gone when the rain came.

I blame MA as much as Vettel for what happened, Raikkonen can not help that he is slower than Vettel.
    Keep your shirt on, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    Yep, this is 60 points VET has gifted Gangsta Boy.

But you can blame Crashtappen for about half of that.
    And how many points has Hamilton gifted Ferrari? Hamilton made mistake in Montreal, gifted pole and win to Vettel, made mistake in Austria and cost Mercedes atleast 15 points. The only mistake Vettel ever made all season was in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    I read a few comments saying Ferrari should win Hungary. Are we discounting RBR? i thought they were the favourites there.
    Red Bull are not favorites for Hungary. They will probably fight for 3rd row.

Yes, the biggest and not explainable mistake was to let Kimi for 12 laps there... Really dumb mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    [AMuS] Vettel lost 5s when he was stuck behind Kimi. Kimi was on a two stop strategy but Vettel was on a 1-stop strategy. If Ferrari would have made the switch earlier, Vettel‘s gap during the rain phase would have been bigger and he might not had to push like he did..

[AMuS] reports that in the Sachskurve were Vettel had his crash it wasn‘t just wet. Some photographers report that Sirotkin lost oil in that area. So Vettel might have slipped on that....

MIGHT

Sirotkin during the German GP......

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Diyyul-XcAAL8cu.jpg

Every wonder what the SF71-H looks like underneath?? (German GP)

Attachment 7478

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Raikkonen 5.5 is a joke he didn't do anything wrong he deserves a 7 or 8 at least
    He's a number 2 but acted belligerently when asked to move over. Neutralised Vettel's race. I think he got what he deserved. He's in arguably the best car on the grid currently and brought it home in third!
    "Okay,...Jean is smarter than you....... can you confirm you understood that message" Bernie on the phone to Max circa 2009

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines - Enzo Ferrari circa 1960

He moved over when he was asked to. Podium finish is good result for a #2 driver.

Since 2013, there is a clear #1 and #2 at Mercedes, not sure why Ferrari is giving equal treatment to both drivers, they should immediately make Raikkonen #2 and focus on maximizing points for Vettel. Ferrari made the same mistake last year in China and that probably cost Vettel a shot at victory.

He moved over when he was asked to. Podium finish is good result for a #2 driver.
    No I think he argued a bit. The team asked him to make way but he hesitated. If they were on different strategies, then it was useless for him to impede Vettel. If he had let Vettel go, both would have been faster.... Vettel in clear air and Kimi could drive without having to defend.

He asked them what they want him to do. Until that pitwall was avoiding giving direct order.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiondella View Post
    He's a number 2 but acted belligerently when asked to move over. Neutralised Vettel's race. I think he got what he deserved. He's in arguably the best car on the grid currently and brought it home in third!
    You cant be serious. Without losing those 4 sec to leave Seb by, Kimi might have won this. Did you think about that? Of course you didnt.
    Last edited by IulianFerrari; 24th July 2018 at 12:27.

Quote Originally Posted by chinmay View Post
    And how many points has Hamilton gifted Ferrari? Hamilton made mistake in Montreal, gifted pole and win to Vettel, made mistake in Austria and cost Mercedes atleast 15 points. The only mistake Vettel ever made all season was in Germany.
    Seb almost crashed into Kimi in the Chinese GP at the start(Singapore 2017 comes to mind), thus ruining Kimi's chance to hold 2nd and act as a rear gun(and robbing Ferrari of a 1-2 finish) and he also blew it big time in Baku(again) with that overtaking attempt on Bottas.

He definitely made more than 1 big mistake this season.

He asked them what they want him to do. Until that pitwall was avoiding giving direct order.
    Yes, Kimi just wanted the team to give him a direct order and the team was beating around the bush.