Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Hungarian GP - Pratices and Qualifying

I think the Mercs were the last top team on brand new wet tyres to run in Q3, not surprising they pipped Kimi and Seb at the last moment and also not surprising that Seb didn't feel too confident in the wet after Hockenheim's disaster. That doesn't alter the fact that HAM seems to excel in the wet (hate saying that, believe me) and again quali played into Merc's hands. If we have a dry race as predicted and manage to avoid any contact at the start (another worry), all we can do is hope that our suggested speed advantage plays into our hands. For those people who say Spa and Monza will be our tracks, often they can be wet, as can Suzuka and Brazil, so don't bank on clawing back any more lost opportunities. Getting pole is important, especially in Hungary, but the race is tomorrow. I live in hope.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    I think the Mercs were the last top team on brand new wet tyres to run in Q3, not surprising they pipped Kimi and Seb at the last moment and also not surprising that Seb didn't feel too confident in the wet after Hockenheim's disaster. That doesn't alter the fact that HAM seems to excel in the wet (hate saying that, believe me) and again quali played into Merc's hands. If we have a dry race as predicted and manage to avoid any contact at the start (another worry), all we can do is hope that our suggested speed advantage plays into our hands. For those people who say Spa and Monza will be our tracks, often they can be wet, as can Suzuka and Brazil, so don't bank on clawing back any more lost opportunities. Getting pole is important, especially in Hungary, but the race is tomorrow. I live in hope.
    Quite succinct and nothing here I don't agree with! Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Bottas was just 2 tenths behind, nothing extraordinary done by Ham. 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015 say a different story. In 2014 and 2015, there were a couple wet qualifying sessions and Hamilton in that mighty rocketship was barely able to grab pole ahead of Vettel in vastly inferior Red Bull and Ferrari.

Vettel almost grabbed victory in changing conditions in Austin 2015 where yet another safety car gifted Hamilton victory and bad luck followed Vettel. Franz Tost clearly mentioned after race that without safety car, Vettel would have won the race and Verstappen would be in podium in his Toro Rosso. Hamilton crashed in last year's Brazil qualifying due to rain.

In Silverstone 2015, Ferrari had no pace, it was slower than Williams as well but then rain came and Vettel told on the radio that he wants to pit for rain tyres and that proved to be a great decision and a great drive from him allowed him to get an unlikely podium. So I don't buy into this theory that Hamilton excels in wet conditions, if anything, I consider Vettel to be the best driver in treacherous wet conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by chinmay View Post
    Bottas was just 2 tenths behind, nothing extraordinary done by Ham. 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015 say a different story. In 2014 and 2015, there were a couple wet qualifying sessions and Hamilton in that mighty rocketship was barely able to grab pole ahead of Vettel in vastly inferior Red Bull and Ferrari.

Vettel almost grabbed victory in changing conditions in Austin 2015 where yet another safety car gifted Hamilton victory and bad luck followed Vettel. Franz Tost clearly mentioned after race that without safety car, Vettel would have won the race and Verstappen would be in podium in his Toro Rosso. Hamilton crashed in last year's Brazil qualifying due to rain.

In Silverstone 2015, Ferrari had no pace, it was slower than Williams as well but then rain came and Vettel told on the radio that he wants to pit for rain tyres and that proved to be a great decision and a great drive from him allowed him to get an unlikely podium. So I don't buy into this theory that Hamilton excels in wet conditions, if anything, I consider Vettel to be the best driver in treacherous wet conditions.
    I dont like hamilton but come on. Give credit where it is due. Ham has won the last 9(?) wet races. He is the best current driver in the wet. Seb is great when its intermediate conditions and he seems good at judging what tires he should be on. Full wets he seems to struggle. I dont know if its the tyrrs or the car or him.

agreed. Mercedes waited for the last remaining minutes to get Bottas then Lewis best laps with the last seconds remaing in Q3. Their weatherman(Mercedes) thought the rain was ending and also the rest of the field get's rid of the remaining water left on the track...while still wet....but not as wet as in the beginning of Q3 as parts of the track were different than other parts of the track as the session went on......the track was changing lap after lap as well as the weather and on newer tires.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    The most to worry about is Bottas holding our boys behind, for Lewis to get a good gap, to not get undercut.
    yep, which is why Vettel or Kimi or both have to jump Bottas on the start.

Merc's were having issues with their suspension yesterday and today...setup?.......then the rain came (which I think Mercedes were predicting for it) and they risked it and came out on top.

Ferrari's setup and for that matter RedBull's setup were not predicting rain.....advantage Mercedes for pole. Different weather tomorrow though with hot and sunny; Mercedes will eat their tires IF Seb and/or Kimi keeps pressure on the W09....we have the car and the advantage (battery recovery) to do it.

Us pitting earlier will give us clean air with fresh tires, so Lewis on softs will have to pit to cover and do a long race on US. Not looking like a great strategy. The best one for Lewis is to be on the same tire as the Ferraris, so he can cover. If you think that Valtteri will cover, what if a Ferrari gets away from him with an undercut? Lewis would be a sitting duck.
    Even if both Ferraris start on the US tyre and pit early I'm sure Merc would bring in Valtteri at the same time to mirror that strategy and continue to try and block for Lewis. It would come down to who has the quickest pitstops and the outlaps as Valtteri would come in only one lap later. And how would Ferrari do that anyway? Double-stack or bring in Seb first and then Kimi one lap later or vice versa. That would surely give Valtteri a chance to stay in 2nd anyway. But yes, if we manage to get infront of Valtteri then Lewis will be a sitting duck. If not, then he might actually win the race.

I think what they will have to try and do if they don't gain anything at the start is to pit when the tyres on the Mercs will start to go off. Then count on the inlaps and the outlaps.

By the way, when is the latest time tomorrow to nominate the starting tyre and compound? And is the choice made without knowing what the other teams nominate?

Predictions on tires:

[AMuS] Because of Ferrari‘s great starts, Mercedes will very likely choose the ultrasofts. In the long runs, Ferrari showed significantly less tyre wear than Mercedes. The timing of the first pit stop could become the second trump card of the reds.

PIRELLI: Quickest strategy for 70-lap HungarianGP (in hot and dry conditions) is a one-stopper. Start on ultrasoft for 22 laps, then medium to the end. Nearly as quick: start on soft for 27 laps and then medium to the end. Alternatively, ultrasoft for 22 laps then soft to end.

PIRELLI: A two-stopper (with higher ultrasoft degradation) could work as follows: two stints of 16 laps on ultrasoft, followed by a final stint on soft to the end. The pit stop window for ultrasoft is from laps 18-26 (assuming similar conditions to FP2 on Friday)

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Predictions on tires:

[AMuS] Because of Ferrari‘s great starts, Mercedes will very likely choose the ultrasofts. In the long runs, Ferrari showed significantly less tyre wear than Mercedes. The timing of the first pit stop could become the second trump card of the reds.

PIRELLI: Quickest strategy for 70-lap HungarianGP (in hot and dry conditions) is a one-stopper. Start on ultrasoft for 22 laps, then medium to the end. Nearly as quick: start on soft for 27 laps and then medium to the end. Alternatively, ultrasoft for 22 laps then soft to end.

PIRELLI: A two-stopper (with higher ultrasoft degradation) could work as follows: two stints of 16 laps on ultrasoft, followed by a final stint on soft to the end. The pit stop window for ultrasoft is from laps 18-26 (assuming similar conditions to FP2 on Friday)
    Either SC should play to our game or Ferrari needs to sacrifice kimi by boxing him for 2stop strategy US-US-S. which will alter mercs game play, this should play into vet hands. Although it all depends on starts. If kimi is ahead of seb I’m saying the above equation.

We need the fox mercs by pitstop through either one of our drivers. They will respond to it.

I could be way off but i don't see Ham winning tomorrow. It just seems too predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by 512 TR View Post
    Even if both Ferraris start on the US tyre and pit early I'm sure Merc would bring in Valtteri at the same time to mirror that strategy and continue to try and block for Lewis. It would come down to who has the quickest pitstops and the outlaps as Valtteri would come in only one lap later. And how would Ferrari do that anyway? Double-stack or bring in Seb first and then Kimi one lap later or vice versa. That would surely give Valtteri a chance to stay in 2nd anyway. But yes, if we manage to get infront of Valtteri then Lewis will be a sitting duck. If not, then he might actually win the race.

I think what they will have to try and do if they don't gain anything at the start is to pit when the tyres on the Mercs will start to go off. Then count on the inlaps and the outlaps.

By the way, when is the latest time tomorrow to nominate the starting tyre and compound? And is the choice made without knowing what the other teams nominate?
    If we are close enough to Bottas a lap is enough for the undercut and then Lewis will be in trouble if he starts on softs and we start on US

Imagine Kimi taking the lead with a great start and Seb following him just like 2015.

Tomorrow it will be much hotter than anytime this week-end yet. So tyre life is key, I think no one really knows how it will be degraded. Cooling will be very important too. mainly if there will be a safety car. Behind the sc it easily can kill the car in few laps.

Quote Originally Posted by ferenc_k View Post
    Tomorrow it will be much hotter than anytime this week-end yet. So tyre life is key, I think no one really knows how it will be degraded. Cooling will be very important too. mainly if there will be a safety car. Behind the sc it easily can kill the car in few laps.
    It will be extremely interesting race if one of our guys can take a place or two at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by ferenc_k View Post
    It will be extremely interesting race if one of our guys can take a place or two at the start.

If we concentrate on being positive tomorrow im sure it'l give ferrari a couple of extra HP atleast 10HP+ tomorrow in the race, also apparently some of the reasons mercs are superior in the wets is because there "wet mode" or car in general is better designed for tyres that can take more load and work on fast laps, since Rb and Ferrari are setup kinder on the tyres, it back fired on the wets as they lose the grip out of corners and on acceleration
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

If we are close enough to Bottas a lap is enough for the undercut and then Lewis will be in trouble if he starts on softs and we start on US
    I hope it will be enough. The only problem is if don't jump Valtteri at the start with at least one car he might surprise everyone and pit first, if he starts on the US. Merc might do that if they feel he has blocked enough for Lewis and given him enough of a lead infront. What will Ferrari do then? Pit as soon as he does?

All this is of course just pure speculation and most likely both Mercs will start on the US to get better starts. But that will compromise them later in the 2nd stint if they mirror Ferrari with both cars. In the dry of course.

Easy pole for Kimi, but Haas was there...

http://mygoodstream.pw/channels/f1.p...RjeE9UZzJMdz09

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    If we concentrate on being positive tomorrow im sure it'l give ferrari a couple of extra HP atleast 10HP+ tomorrow in the race, also apparently some of the reasons mercs are superior in the wets is because there "wet mode" or car in general is better designed for tyres that can take more load and work on fast laps, since Rb and Ferrari are setup kinder on the tyres, it back fired on the wets as they lose the grip out of corners and on acceleration
    lol, they had a new tires at the end, and Kimi was driving behind Haas

I don`t know what Seb was doing, maybe cautious because of last weekend mistake.
    Last edited by KimiBot; 28th July 2018 at 21:54.

I just watched qualifying. I know the points are won tomorrow, but man, that Mercedes lockout really turned my stomach.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    I just watched qualifying. I know the points are won tomorrow, but man, that Mercedes lockout really turned my stomach.
    Relax guys and girls we always do better as the under dogs. Tomorrow will be a good result.

Vet was so mad at him self because he was in total control of the last two races and he had a slight laps in concentration which led to the off the last race. He isn't panicking because he's got ace's in his hand all the time. I feel it.

Ferrari for the win start will be important 650 metres to jump merc at start pressure them there tyres will go then strike hard and blow them away its going to be a hot race in more ways than one europe is hot all round no late rain during race or thunderstorms as for lewi his eyes will be full of the colour red.He believes he is a tough nut to crack under pressure lets see..

The past years mean ZERO, it's 2018 and Ferrari looks good. Seb needs to wave that #1 finger for Ferrari! It's not sinful for Ferrari to let Kimi pass in case Seb has problems. Ferrari needs the points , either driver counts. Seb said; were in 4th, so we will try from there. 1st, 2nd, 4th, who's on third? He don't even consider Kimi in the race! What a team mate! Meanwhile Leclerc pos. 17, he's behind Stroll!! Max still wiping the floor with Dan 7th, Dan 12pl. WCC Ferrari is were it's at!! We need points, even if there Kimi's!
    Last edited by Brembo; 29th July 2018 at 02:25.

Lewis was sliding all over the place during P3, hopefully they haven't dialed in the car for today's race.

I am more concerned with Bottas. He has been more consistent this year than Lewis. Were it not for his DNFs and bad luck on track, he would be our main challenger. He is also a good starter, at least compared to Lewis, but I'm sure he will be asked to block Vettel instead of fighting the lead with Lewis at the start of the race.

It would be difficult but it is still possible to win. We just need luck on our side this time, and a mistake free race from both our drivers.

We need a clean start and have at least one of our drivers ahead of Bottas by the first corner. Otherwise he will just be a moving chicane for Mercedes to let Lewis build a gap to our drivers.

Vettel needs to have a super start so he can get right behind Lewis and pressure him all the way to first pit stop. The only chance for Ferrari to win is if Vettel can get P2 by the first corner. I don't have much hope for Kimi, he will falter one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by chinmay View Post
    Vettel needs to have a super start so he can get right behind Lewis and pressure him all the way to first pit stop. The only chance for Ferrari to win is if Vettel can get P2 by the first corner. I don't have much hope for Kimi, he will falter one way or the other.
    I prefer bottas ahead than Lewis. Lewis is aggressive if he’s behind, will eat his tyres and with hot track temp it’s even more.

Vet & kimi both should have super start then pressure will be on. Else bottas gonna block either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    I prefer bottas ahead than Lewis. Lewis is aggressive if he’s behind, will eat his tyres and with hot track temp it’s even more.

Vet & kimi both should have super start then pressure will be on. Else bottas gonna block either of them.
    the team is going to keep seb behind kimi the entire race, similar to austria and the blunder of hockenheim, do you honestly think kimi will attack bottas and ham or stay station? i think the race will be decided on what kimi and ferrari pitwall does
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    the team is going to keep seb behind kimi the entire race, similar to austria and the blunder of hockenheim, do you honestly think kimi will attack bottas and ham or stay station? i think the race will be decided on what kimi and ferrari pitwall does
    That’s y I said, team should play with kimi in this race. They need to sacrifice either one of our car in terms of position.
    We should not worry much about next cars behind because no threat from RB. So it’s straight fwd Mercs vs Ferrari.

Just like last race, 2 stop for one car & 1stop for another car from Ferrari will give thought process for mercs might commit a mistake for one their car easily. I know they r ready to sacrifice bottas for sure, but we want Hamilton. Here ferrari is chasing, so mercs will be under pressure.