Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Hungarian GP - Race

Seriously, when did we start going soft on the FIA? We used to demand answers from the FIA and command respect from them.

Now we are just ok with their decisions, even if they seem to have a different set of rules for Mercedes.

Anyway, summer break. Second and third are good points. Vettel seemed relaxed and confident. And I feel Ferrari is going to do well the next couple of races. So hopefully Mercedes and Lewis think they are close and have it in the bag. Our boys and girls are looking very focused and confident. It's great to see Mercedes scratching their heads on our straight line speed. Still, it's strange that the stewards took so long to issue an obvious penalty on Daniel. And that move on Vettel was similar to how Vettel took him out a couple of races ago. Who were those stewards at this race?

Quote Originally Posted by da_one View Post
    Mercedes have a different set of rules to follow. Don't expect them to follow the rest.

Brackley is by German name only and german paychecks. I expect the Brits to follow the rules.

We will need a bit of luck for Seb to win, but constructors will be very hard with Kimi, if not impossible. I can see Bottas winning a race, but can't see the same for Kimi if his life depended on it. Worst thing is, Bottas will be there if Hamilton isn't. He will chase Vettel and block him. Kimi hasn't done that because he can't put himself in sharp end of grid. He can somehow get on front row (which he hasn't managed in long long time), but rest assured he will lose that place in T1. Just look at Canada or any other race in last 2 years.

What stood out for me in this race was Gasly in that STR with the Honda unit......P6 and by no means a "gifted" P6. Could this be the turnaround for Honda going into the 2nd half of the season for 2018??? I gotta see a trend line moving forward and upward to base my decisions. If so, RedBull for 2019 look like in good standing and they can finally dump that "concerning & suspicious" Renault unit and more than likely fight in the front for 2019 - ->it will be a 3 way fight for pts so no muck-ups from any of the top 3 teams for 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by darkchild View Post
    We will need a bit of luck for Seb to win, but constructors will be very hard with Kimi, if not impossible. I can see Bottas winning a race, but can't see the same for Kimi if his life depended on it. Worst thing is, Bottas will be there if Hamilton isn't. He will chase Vettel and block him. Kimi hasn't done that because he can't put himself in sharp end of grid. He can somehow get on front row (which he hasn't managed in long long time), but rest assured he will lose that place in T1. Just look at Canada or any other race in last 2 years.
    Kimi winning a race is dependent on pit wall strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Kimi winning a race is dependent on pit wall strategy.
    No, Kimi winning a race is dependent on :

A) Him actually putting a car on pole, a position that every driver that won (bar Max) has put his car on and showed he has best pace to win
    B) Actually not lose a position at a start, which he does REGULARY, in fact he hasn't won a single one in 2 years

So, as soon as Kimi puts himself in position to win and doesn't actually lose that in T1, pit wall will be to blame. As soon as PW is blamed because he got overtaken by his teammate on harder tires in T1, then its all just hot air.

No, Kimi winning a race is dependent on :

A) Him actually putting a car on pole, a position that every driver that won (bar Max) has put his car on and showed he has best pace to win
    B) Actually not lose a position at a start, which he does REGULARY, in fact he hasn't won a single one in 2 years

So, as soon as Kimi puts himself in position to win and doesn't actually lose that in T1, pit wall will be to blame. As soon as PW is blamed because he got overtaken by his teammate on harder tires in T1, then its all just hot air.
    We have seen Kimi ahead of Vettel during a race.......and what ends up happening when Vettel is right behind Kimi????? Thank-you.

We have seen Kimi ahead of Vettel during a race.......and what ends up happening when Vettel is right behind Kimi????? Thank-you.
    When? Can you please reply one time with argument or are you going to continue with trolling?

In Germany, Vettel gets easy pole. What does Kimi do? He messes up his Q3, like he did regularly this season (Baku as well, put Vettel right into Merc hands to defend vs 2). So Vettel gets a pole, has to cover for Bottas, Kimi falls 7 seconds in 15 laps, gets new tires goes fast in free air but obviously has to pit once more. Vettel on the other hand drives delta for another 15 laps, pits and ends up behind Kimi. What does Ferrari do? They wait 10 laps for Kimi to move. But Kimi is on 2 stopper while Seb is on one. Kimi's chances of winning are minimal and Vettel, who started on pole, wins the race by being ahead of Kimi EASILY.

So its not that Ferrari messed up Kimi's race. Ferrari GAVE Kimi a chance, by pitting him early since he burned his tires and got nice big deficit to two infront. Why shouldn't they swap drivers? Vettel got pole, was infront, got out behind him but Kimi had to pit ones more compared to Vettel, so what is all the fuss about?

How about Kimi actually nails Q3, starts from pole or front of the grid and doesn't lose place in process? Has he done that, tell me now. I know blaming Ferrari team is all well and good, but has Kimi put himself in position to win ANYTIME this season?

When? Can you please reply one time with argument or are you going to continue with trolling?

In Germany, Vettel gets easy pole. What does Kimi do? He messes up his Q3, like he did regularly this season (Baku as well, put Vettel right into Merc hands to defend vs 2). So Vettel gets a pole, has to cover for Bottas, Kimi falls 7 seconds in 15 laps, gets new tires goes fast in free air but obviously has to pit once more. Vettel on the other hand drives delta for another 15 laps, pits and ends up behind Kimi. What does Ferrari do? They wait 10 laps for Kimi to move. But Kimi is on 2 stopper while Seb is on one. Kimi's chances of winning are minimal and Vettel, who started on pole, wins the race by being ahead of Kimi EASILY.

So its not that Ferrari messed up Kimi's race. Ferrari GAVE Kimi a chance, by pitting him early since he burned his tires and got nice big deficit to two infront. Why shouldn't they swap drivers? Vettel got pole, was infront, got out behind him but Kimi had to pit ones more compared to Vettel, so what is all the fuss about?

How about Kimi actually nails Q3, starts from pole or front of the grid and doesn't lose place in process? Has he done that, tell me now. I know blaming Ferrari team is all well and good, but has Kimi put himself in position to win ANYTIME this season?
    If that's your analogy, then Seb should be winning every race then???

If that's your analogy, then Seb should be winning every race then???
    Seb has won 5 this year mate. He made mistakes in 2 races that cost him 2 more wins. Kimi hasn't won a single race in 5 years. He hasn't even been close to winning it, that is horrible stat. Max and Ric won it in MUCH inferior car. Bottas, as pretty much certified wingman, won 3 last year and was cruely "robbed" out of 2 this year through absolutely no fault of his own. He was leading and was pretty much 1 lap from winning when debris slashed his tire. Kimi hasn't looked like a guy that is anywhere near win since last years April and Monaco. Yet there, Seb was in his DRS from start to first pitstop.

You can roll your eyes all you want, but you are not replying with argument. I am very grateful that SM saw that when he got into this team and put fresh, talented and hungry guys in front of the pack and let them make Ferrari what it is now. If he had followed everyone's advise, we would still be having a talk about firing Tombazis and Fry in 2018l.

Seb has won 5 this year mate. He made mistakes in 2 races that cost him 2 more wins. Kimi hasn't won a single race in 5 years. He hasn't even been close to winning it, that is horrible stat. Max and Ric won it in MUCH inferior car. Bottas, as pretty much certified wingman, won 3 last year and was cruely "robbed" out of 2 this year through absolutely no fault of his own. He was leading and was pretty much 1 lap from winning when debris slashed his tire. Kimi hasn't looked like a guy that is anywhere near win since last years April and Monaco. Yet there, Seb was in his DRS from start to first pitstop.

You can roll your eyes all you want, but you are not replying with argument. I am very grateful that SM saw that when he got into this team and put fresh, talented and hungry guys in front of the pack and let them make Ferrari what it is now. If he had followed everyone's advise, we would still be having a talk about firing Tombazis and Fry in 2018l.

And yet Kimi, at the end of the year, wins in pts ahead of Max and Ricci. The last 4 years have been Mercedes dominance!!!!

Vettel 2014 was 5th
    Raikkonen was 12th

Vettel 2015 was 3rd
    Raikkonen was 4th

Vettel 2016 was 4th
    Raikkonen was 6th

Vettel 2017 was 2nd
    Raikkonen was 4th

Vettel 2018 currently is 2nd
    Raikkonen currently is 3rd

What's your pt.????

Are you seriously comparing RB car last year and Kimis Ferrari? Ferrari was 1s ahead on multiple tracks from RBs. Not to mention RB had absolute horrid reliability, like this year. Thats even worse for your argument. With car that broke down every 3rd weekend and with car that could have only won on 2-3 tracks last 2 years, each RB driver still won it multiple times compared to Kimi.

You think Ric or Max wouldnt be able to put SF71 on pole and win it in half a season? Lol dont make me laugh.

Are you seriously comparing RB car last year and Kimis Ferrari? Ferrari was 1s ahead on multiple tracks from RBs. Not to mention RB had absolute horrid reliability, like this year. Thats even worse for your argument. With car that broke down every 3rd weekend and with car that could have only won on 2-3 tracks last 2 years, each RB driver still won it multiple times compared to Kimi.

You think Ric or Max wouldnt be able to put SF71 on pole and win it in half a season? Lol dont make me laugh.

Max would have ran into Seb last year and cost Ferrari valuable points....Max would have something to prove and go against Ferrari pit wall strategy. Max would have been an even bigger hot head in an SF70-H.

2 top drivers in a top team don't mix...they end up costing a team points. Pts matter, not qualifying.

Haha ValtLassie Bottas is hurt when he was called a wingman by his master Toto Wolff.

In case you still don't get it ValtLassie, you are just Lewis' lapdog who needs to protect the master against attacks coming from Ferrari and Red Bull. I think you are the only person, or should I say dog, in this world who has no clue as to what your role is. That's why everyone is irritated when you yap your mouth in front of the camera, spurting lies how there is no team orders in Mercedes and that you are only asked to bend over for Lewis for the team's overall points.

They eat the steaks, you eat the bone. Simple as that....

Quote Originally Posted by da_one View Post
    Haha ValtLassie Bottas is hurt when he was called a wingman by his master Toto Wolff.

In case you still don't get it ValtLassie, you are just Lewis' lapdog who needs to protect the master againt wasst attacks coming from Ferrari and Red Bull. I think you are the only person, or should I say dog, in this world who has no clue as to what your role is. That's why everyone is irritated when you yap your mouth in front of the camera, spurting lies how there is no team orders in Mercedes and that you are only asked to bend over for Lewis for the team's overall points.

They eat the steaks, you eat the bone. Simple as that....
    Indeed. He is the most unsporting athlete I have ever seen. This guy has no dignity to himself, what a shame. Of all the F1 drivers, he never fight for his own right. When he was told to back off against his most arrogant teammate at the German GP, he never sounded as he was resisting the instruction. Very sorry for him.

Just a mummet not a puppet botas has gratuated to this level from the school of mercdes benz congratulation mr bottas . Oh by the way he graduated with honours.

What stood out for me in this race was Gasly in that STR with the Honda unit......P6 and by no means a "gifted" P6. Could this be the turnaround for Honda going into the 2nd half of the season for 2018??? I gotta see a trend line moving forward and upward to base my decisions. If so, RedBull for 2019 look like in good standing and they can finally dump that "concerning & suspicious" Renault unit and more than likely fight in the front for 2019 - ->it will be a 3 way fight for pts so no muck-ups from any of the top 3 teams for 2019.
    Hungary is not abt engine power. It’s about chasis & better traction around the corners.
    If it’s a engine track, then haas & Sauber would have overtaken that TR car easily & that too with new engine spec.

This track also showed haas car weakness...!! They did struggle for grip.

Honda worked on their reliability, I’m seeing good progress on it. It’s now about power next big thing, that’s wt RB is counting on. If it doesn’t work, RB on Blackfoot. If it works Mad max can’t be stopped.
    Another thing, it’s only 2yrs left for them. Rules & Regulations will get overhauled for 2021.

Max would have ran into Seb last year and cost Ferrari valuable points....Max would have something to prove and go against Ferrari pit wall strategy. Max would have been an even bigger hot head in an SF70-H.

2 top drivers in a top team don't mix...they end up costing a team points. Pts matter, not qualifying.
    In this case, I agree with @darkchild comments. Because to take the victory, first you should be on pole or you should have strong pace than your team mate who is on pole.

But except baring Hungary 2017, that too vet had steering issue. I didn’t see kimi matching vet’s pace at first stint or 2nd stint any of the races this season or last season.

A win is possible only when you are in a better position to attack or strong to defend. This season he’s up there, but need to improve q3 performances a lot. Especially where track position is king. Also he needs to hold that position at start. Which isn’t happening

Quote Originally Posted by long2ma View Post
    Indeed. He is the most unsporting athlete I have ever seen. This guy has no dignity to himself, what a shame. Of all the F1 drivers, he never fight for his own right. When he was told to back off against his most arrogant teammate at the German GP, he never sounded as he was resisting the instruction. Very sorry for him.
    Calling him the MOST unsporting athlete is somehow overblown. Every team has its team order. We also did it before. ONLY that this time Mercedes played it REALLY BAD, and it sure irritated plenty of viewers.

The moment Toto spoke to the media, calling Bottas as the perfect wingman, is exactly the moment his fate is sealed. In addition, Mercedes extend his contract on annual basis, keeping following season on optional term. It is simply obvious that Mercedes doesn't take Bottas seriously as they think he is easily replaced by any younger drivers. If his talent is being appreciated, why would they prepare such a term on contract?

I agree that Bottas pushed too hard in defending his position, even though knowing his tyre was gone. And it resulted in VET-BOT incident. At first I thought it was a normal racing incident. But, the second crash between him and RIC at the same sector, almost near the same corner, have me confirmed that his earlier clash with VET was utterly stupid. He simply put himself under viewers' and media attack.

I feel bad for him. Looks like he doesn't have any options to move to other big teams but to stick with Mercedes and play second fiddle.
    Last edited by theodorus8864; 30th July 2018 at 02:56. Reason: double quote

I dont know why people are complaining about Kimi. He dutifully bent over and let vettel take the position on the first lap. From there on, he stayed behind vettel all the way. Isnt that a perfect wingman?
    And why is everyone surprised Bottas is hamiltons lapdog? thats what he was hired for. If they wanted 2 drivers capable of fighting each other for the championship, they would have take Alonso or Ricciardo when Rosberg ran off.
    And to be fair, Ferrari uses more team orders than any other on the grid. We really shouldnt complain about other teams using them now.

That said, the car is the best in the field right now. If Vettel can keep his head on and not make mistakes, the title can still be his. WCC will be a bit more difficult i guess.
    Am sure we, as well as other teams, will come up with a raft of upgrades after the break. In the past we have not been able to keep up with Mercs wrt the upgrades, but this year, we seem to have a better bench mark. Its very likely we will still have the best car when the second half starts.
    Silently, like a shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Fiondella View Post
    IMO Hockenheim will go down as the turning point and kimi's definately complicit not a team player lest he forget he owes Massa big time for 2007

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    So you say that 4 time champion crash was Kimi`s fault? With Seb`s experience and that car I think 7-9 sec gap should been enough. You think few more sec and he would not crash?

correct Rob

Strickly forbidden by upper management from the teams.

correct again Rob

correctamundo again Rob

How when anything from HQ is shut down!!! Meaning data retrieval, telemetry, engine analysis.....EVERYTHING IS SHUT DOWN!!

correct yet again!!

Rob I feel your pain.......

Nope. Most of the teams personnel, from the pit crew to upper management, have families or are involved in some kind of relationship with someone (being politically correct) and the last thing that their significant other want to hear or see is the team member texting, talking, or having morning tea with another team member. The teams forbid this behavior and want all team members to spend quality time away from F1. All teams HQ is shut down...including servers and emails....period!!!

It's like hitting your head against the wall trying to explain this....
    you guys are so naive it's unbelievable

trying to explain that teams and individuals don't always follow 'rules' is like hitting your head against a brick wall

for example, Mercedes never conducted a secret tyre test, because oh wait, it went against the rules
    Last edited by Ferrarichamp; 30th July 2018 at 06:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormsearcher View Post
    I dont know why people are complaining about Kimi. He dutifully bent over and let vettel take the position on the first lap. From there on, he stayed behind vettel all the way. Isnt that a perfect wingman?
    And why is everyone surprised Bottas is hamiltons lapdog? thats what he was hired for. If they wanted 2 drivers capable of fighting each other for the championship, they would have take Alonso or Ricciardo when Rosberg ran off.
    And to be fair, Ferrari uses more team orders than any other on the grid. We really shouldnt complain about other teams using them now.

That said, the car is the best in the field right now. If Vettel can keep his head on and not make mistakes, the title can still be his. WCC will be a bit more difficult i guess.
    Am sure we, as well as other teams, will come up with a raft of upgrades after the break. In the past we have not been able to keep up with Mercs wrt the upgrades, but this year, we seem to have a better bench mark. Its very likely we will still have the best car when the second half starts.
    He gave position to Vettel? Yesterday? When was that?

Bottas was referred to being akin to a road block by some. Kimi did the same thing to his own team mate and was reluctant to let him past even though they were on different strategies Im Looking forward to him being replaced. And yes imo he was complicit in costing vettel the race

"Okay,...Jean is smarter than you....... can you confirm you understood that message" Bernie on the phone to Max circa 2009

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines - Enzo Ferrari circa 1960

Quote Originally Posted by JPA View Post
    So you say that 4 time champion crash was Kimi`s fault? With Seb`s experience and that car I think 7-9 sec gap should been enough. You think few more sec and he would not crash?
    See my response

"Okay,...Jean is smarter than you....... can you confirm you understood that message" Bernie on the phone to Max circa 2009

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines - Enzo Ferrari circa 1960

Just wanted to state my thoughts for the remainder of the season, even though Ham has won the last two and I hate it, I truly believe this is our year, I don't why I just have that feeling I haven't had for a long time now. There's still a lot of racing to come, anything can happen, we have a fast car and it's going to show in the next two. We can win this, Seb is so different this year compared to any other year with us, So relaxed even when things don't go his way, his not cracking it like he use to. To me it looks like he knows this year is his year if we keep going like this.

I'm not concerned with the gap, it's nothing, all can change in one race. I have belief, his DNF in germany won't be a turning point, come back to this post in December and prove me wrong but I believe.

Lewis does have that 24 point gap now and that's a bit concerning.
    But with Kimi driving well and Bottas seemingly under pressure, perhaps we will win WCC.
    If we can win the constructors, well, I'll be happy enough.

He gave position to Vettel? Yesterday? When was that?
    Not sure which race you watched. Go see the start again.
    Silently, like a shadow

I too believe Mercs will throw some nice shiny bonuses for those that saved data week ago to take home and do some research and development at home or on holiday, since laptops and paper are portable during the summer break.
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)