Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate the drivers on the grid

Rate the drivers on the grid

Here we are in the summer break and silly season is in full mode. So much talk about the drivers and who goes where.
    I propose to rate the drivers on the grid, based mostly on the season they have had so far.

Here are my ratings:

1) Hamilton 2) Vettel 3) Ricciardo 4) Raikkonen 5) Alonso 6) Bottas 7) Verstappen 8) Hulkenberg 9) Gasly 10) Leclerc 11) Perez 12) Sainz 13) Magnussen 14) Ocon 15) Grosjean 16) Vandoorne 17) Stroll 18) Ericsson 19) Hartley 20) Sirotkin

Seb without the Germany mistake would have been first. Kimi with a win would have been 3rd. Verstappen to many mistakes, only 7th. Gasly impressive in the 9th best car deserved his 9th, maybe even more. Leclerc doing well in the Sauber. Magnussen doing at least what that Haas is capable of, Grosjean to many mistakes. Williams drivers not doing that car any favors.
    Last edited by IulianFerrari; 5th August 2018 at 02:09.

1.Hamilton 2.Seb 3.Leclerc 4.Hulkenberg 5.Magnussen 6.Kimi 7.Gasly 8.Alonso 9.Ricciardo 10.Verstappen 11.Bottas 12.Perez 13.Ocon 14.Grosjean 15.Hartley 16.Vandoorne 17.Hartley 18.Sirotkin 19.Ericsson 20.Stroll

If Seb didnt have some mistakes(Germany,France,Baku) he would definitely be n1. but he showed incredible speed,courage and humility and with Ferrari being (hopefully) better in 2nd part we can win both championships.
    PS. Kimi should stay at least one more year 8 podiums in 12 races and he had 2 DNFs and wasnt quite lucky.I still think Charles needs time to be a Ferrari driver, he would be a good replacement to Crashjean in Haas next year and it would be nice to get Antonio in Sauber next year and kick out stupid boring slow rich Ericsson.

Here is my rating for drivers not based on current season but overall:

1) Sebastian Vettel
    2) Max Verstappen
    3) Fernando Alonso
    4) Lewis Hamilton
    5) Daniel Ricciardo
    6) Valtteri Bottas
    7) Kimi Raikkonen
    8) Charles Leclerc
    9) Nico Hulkenberg
    10) Esteban Ocon
    11) Sergio Perez
    12) Carlos Sainz / Kevin Magnussen / Romain Grosjean
    15) Stoffel Vandoorne / Pierre Gasly
    17-20) Brendon Hartley / Sergy Sirotkin / Marcus Ericcson / Lance Stroll

Of the above, Leclerc's rating is bound to improve as time passes.

Here is my rating based on current season:

1) Sebastian Vettel (performances like Bahrain, Baku (fantastic performance despite strong winds, other drivers including Hamilton went off), Montreal, Spain qualifying, Austria tyre management)
    2) Charles Leclerc (putting the Sauber where it doesn't belong multiple times)
    3) Fernando Alonso (same as Leclerc)
    4) Nico Hulkenberg (can't beat top 3 teams but can beat others and is beating them)
    5) Valtteri Bottas (nothing to separate him and Hamilton in qualifying and has been the better Mercedes driver but luck costing him big time)
    6) All others can fight from now on based on their occasional strong performances

Now the rating based solely on luck:

1) Lewis Hamilton (Baku, Silverstone, Germany, Hungary)
    2-18) Other drivers
    19) Valtteri Bottas (losing despite in winning position like China, Baku, Austria)
    20) Sebastian Vettel (Bottas was in winning position in the first place is due to the terrible bad luck of Vettel, whenever Vettel is in prime position to get pole or win, something out of his control will happen most of the times)

Quote Originally Posted by chinmay View Post

1) Sebastian Vettel
    2) Max Verstappen
    3) Fernando Alonso
    4) Lewis Hamilton
    5) Daniel Ricciardo
    6) Valtteri Bottas
    7) Kimi Raikkonen
    8) Charles Leclerc
    9) Nico Hulkenberg
    10) Esteban Ocon
    11) Sergio Perez

1) Sebastian Vettel (performances like Bahrain, Baku (fantastic performance despite strong winds, other drivers including Hamilton went off), Montreal, Spain qualifying, Austria tyre management)
    4) Nico Hulkenberg (can't beat top 3 teams but can beat others and is beating them)
    5) Valtteri Bottas (nothing to separate him and Hamilton in qualifying and has been the better Mercedes driver but luck costing him big time)
    6) All others can fight from now on based on their occasional strong performances

2-18) Other drivers
    19) Valtteri Bottas (losing despite in winning position like China, Baku, Austria)
    20) Sebastian Vettel (Bottas was in winning position in the first place is due to the terrible bad luck of Vettel, whenever Vettel is in prime position to get pole or win, something out of his control will happen most of the times)
    Nice, i like this, i think Dani ric and hulkenberg is better than lewy, but yeah 200% truth mostly lol
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

FerrariSteve Guest

1) Sebastian Vettel
    2) Max Verstappen
    3) Fernando Alonso
    4) Lewis Hamilton
    5) Daniel Ricciardo
    6) Valtteri Bottas
    7) Kimi Raikkonen
    8) Charles Leclerc
    9) Nico Hulkenberg
    10) Esteban Ocon
    11) Sergio Perez

2-18) Other drivers
    I pretty much agree with this^
    but I'd put Alonso ahead of Max and Bottas 2-3 places further down.

Current grid order..
    1) Sebastian Vettel
    2) Lewis Hamilton
    3) Daniel Ricciardo
    4) Kimi Raikkonen
    5) Max Verstappen
    6) Charles Leclerc / Fernando Alonso
    7) Valtteri Bottas / Nico Hulkenberg
    8) Esteban Ocon / Sergio Perez
    9) Carlos Sainz / Kevin Magnussen / Romain Grosjean
    10) Pierre Gasly
    11) Stoffel Vandoorne /
    12-15) Brendon Hartley / Sergy Sirotkin / Marcus Ericcson / Lance Stroll
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Based on current season so far....and not taking into account points tally.
    1) VET (despite some errors)
    2) RIC (always feisty)
    3) HAM (I hate to say it)
    4) RAI (loses out at starts)
    5) BOT (keeps up with HAM sometimes and had bad luck)
    6) VES (now starting to grow up)
    7) LEC (our hopeful future)
    8) ALO (never gives up)
    9) HUL (best of the rest efforts)
    10) GAS (great future)
    11) MAG (a bit wild)
    12) OCO (consistent)
    13) SAI (moody but quick)
    15) ERI (better lately)
    16) GRO (too accident-prone and always moaning)
    17) VAN (overshadowed and possibly overlooked)
    18) HAR (not bad considering the car and engine woes)
    19) STR (Not sure he should be in F1)
    20) SIR (car too bad to make much comment)
    Last edited by wisepie; 5th August 2018 at 11:34.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    LOL....but you're right....it's right there, black on white....ha, ha...
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

It says here Grosjean has been better than Leclerc... Are you sure it's there?
    Last edited by IulianFerrari; 5th August 2018 at 18:55.

Which one of them has more points?
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

Grosjean has more points. Does this mean to you he had a better season than Leclerc?
    Last edited by IulianFerrari; 5th August 2018 at 21:21.

Season report card taking into consideration cars they are driving:

Hamilton
    Leclerc
    Vettel
    Verstappen
    Raikkonen

Which one has the stewards falling all over themselves to assist him? Professional wresting is less rigged than this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
    Which one has the stewards falling all over themselves to assist him? Professional wresting is less rigged than this.
    lol very true
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!

1) Sebastian Vettel
    2) Max Verstappen
    3) Fernando Alonso
    4) Lewis Hamilton
    5) Daniel Ricciardo
    6) Valtteri Bottas
    7) Kimi Raikkonen
    8) Charles Leclerc
    9) Nico Hulkenberg
    10) Esteban Ocon
    11) Sergio Perez

2-18) Other drivers
    I think you are being generous with Vettel there. Dude has the Fastest car and still he is behind with only 9 races to go. Schumacher would be close to wrapping up the championship with several races to spare in such a dominant car.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrasher View Post
    I think you are being generous with Vettel there. Dude has the Fastest car and still he is behind with only 9 races to go. Schumacher would be close to wrapping up the championship with several races to spare in such a dominant car.
    Had Ferrari signed me instead of Vettel, I would have wrapped up title already, such is the dominance of SF71H.

Such a dominant car? Where? Did I miss the whole season? We are on par with Mercedes and have been all year. One or the other have been in front and maybe we are now, but it is far from domination. Maybe I need to remind you of what a dominant car does... Last example is Mercedes 2016, winning 19 of 21 races. In the 2 lost races, they crashed being 1st and 2nd(Spain), and in the other a crash for one driver, and car failure for the other while leading the race(Malayasian GP). That is domination, my friend...
    Last edited by IulianFerrari; 9th August 2018 at 23:20.

Had Ferrari signed me instead of Vettel, I would have wrapped up title already, such is the dominance of SF71H.
    There's still time! Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    Such a dominant car? Where? Did I miss the whole season? We are on par with Mercedes and have been all year. One or the other have been in front and maybe we are now, but it is far from domination. Maybe I need to remind you of what a dominant car does... Last example is Mercedes 2016, winning 19 of 21 races. In the 2 lost races, they crashed being 1st and 2nd(Spain), and in the other a crash for one driver, and car failure for the other while leading the race(Malayasian GP). That is domination, my friend...

Lewis fans are trying to suggest he is leading the title in the 2nd best car, the truth is as you said not the fantasy of Lewis fans.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Lewis fans are trying to suggest he is leading the title in the 2nd best car, the truth is as you said not the fantasy of Lewis fans.
    No if you put fandom aside a bit and be honest it’s pretty hard to categorically claim that Vettel has put in the best performance so far this season in the best car. Leclerc and Alonso for example have been phenomenal. All opinions are valid, but not equally so.

Best car? A toss up every race it seems. Worse car , Max's car. Seb or Lewis in Max's car; and Max in either of their cars, a new 20 yr. old WDC contender for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Best car? A toss up every race it seems. Worse car , Max's car. Seb or Lewis in Max's car; and Max in either of their cars, a new 20 yr. old WDC contender for sure.
    Yes best car. Ferrari are not inept as people like to portray. They are a great team so why is it so hard to believe that they can do better than Redbull and Mercedes? Sometimes you even wonder if certain people here are truly Ferrari fans the way they talk down the car. Marchionne did a really good job rebuilding why won’t people acknowledge the fruits of his labour. This constant barrage of negative posts talking down the car is becoming tedious when it is universally accepted that finally Ferrari have overhauled Mercedes.

Yes best car. Ferrari are not inept as people like to portray. They are a great team so why is it so hard to believe that they can do better than Redbull and Mercedes? Sometimes you even wonder if certain people here are truly Ferrari fans the way they talk down the car. Marchionne did a really good job rebuilding why won’t people acknowledge the fruits of his labour. This constant barrage of negative posts talking down the car is becoming tedious when it is universally accepted that finally Ferrari have overhauled Mercedes.
    I couldn't agree more! Your being kind saying certain people rather than most fans here . I believe it's because they are driver; WDC fans; and not WCC fans. Talking down the car gives these driver1st fans an excuse when their driver doesn't get pole or win or even see the podium. Esp. when it's their hero's error. Yes Ferrari finally has overhauled as you say, Merc, now we need the driver to put the car on pole and finish 1st!! For me either driver will do, WCC is where it's at.

No if you put fandom aside a bit and be honest it’s pretty hard to categorically claim that Vettel has put in the best performance so far this season in the best car. Leclerc and Alonso for example have been phenomenal. All opinions are valid, but not equally so.
    Seb does not have a dominant car as you are trying to suggest.
    Forza Ferrari

Interesting to see RIC and Hulk fight next year.

VER and Sainz was almost equal and now Hulk is far ahead Sainz, and RIC and VER is like equal.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    100%

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    Interesting to see RIC and Hulk fight next year.

VER and Sainz was almost equal and now Hulk is far ahead Sainz, and RIC and VER is like equal.
    I hope Hulk can beat him or be almost equal, i really like Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    I hope Hulk can beat him or be almost equal, i really like Hulk
    Hulk can have a chance for a better team, if he beats RIC.

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    Hulk can have a chance for a better team, if he beats RIC.
    hehe crossing my fingers hulk beats him, that will help give everyone the better picture of how consistent and talented he is, would love it too if Sainz or Gastly beats Max too lol