Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Spa-Francorchamps: Practices & Quaifying

2018 Spa-Francorchamps: Practices & Quaifying

Looks like the weather is going to be hit and miss.

Let's see what Ferrari's Spec 3 engine can do during quali.
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 24th August 2018 at 08:51.

9 mins to FP1

It's SPA time !

"If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Spa rear wheel spec for Merc, the ribs help transfer heat from the brakes into the tyre.

Mercedes modified rims on the rear wheels for Spa. Upper pic is the new version. Old rims still in use for pitstop practice.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlWn2ncWwAEfD8f.jpg

According to Motorsport Italy, Ferrari fitted Spec 3 in both Vettel and Kimi‘s car. They are using it in free practice today to test it. Ferrari did not say whether Kimi has a new turbo aswell. If he gets a new turbo, that means a grid penalty for him

Ferrari testing different rear wings during FP1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlWuVR6XcAERx9b.jpg

Raikkonen switched to the shallow rear wing....like Vettels.

Kimi only got the ICE which means he has only a part of the Spec 3 update....
    Vettel has a new turbocharger, MGU-H and ICE

Bottas doing a lot of work on the medium since he will be starting from the back

Quote Originally Posted by mizf1 View Post
    Bottas doing a lot of work on the medium since he will be starting from the back
    As do kimi ???

Both kimi n seb did have different rear wings in fp1. Kimi with low DF rear wing & that ice bag opposite to vettel.
    6D2282E4-D1ED-4750-A21E-664427961B53.jpeg

Looks like the new engine upgrade works without any mechanical or technical problems (knock on wood). At Spa the slingshot effect (so to speak) through the corners is much more crucial than at other fast-flowing circuits like Barcelona, Silverstone or Suzuka. Here most corners, because of the big radius, are basicly like straights. Hitting the apex isn't what you look for att Spa but rather carry as much speeds on the outside as possible. Especially in sector 2. Sector 1 and 3 are basicly straights with La Source and the chicane thrown into the mix to change direction. It's all down to power at Spa. So I'm not really worried even if the rain comes because Mercs superior downforce in wet and/or changing conditions will not be as important around here. Around Spa, in any conditions, you just hold on to your hat and go. You can obviosuly set a car to be very quick out of chicane, La Source and T7-11 but that compromises the rest of he lap. RBR might go for that as they are down on power anyway.

Max did a pretty decent time, are they on fumes again?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    Max did a pretty decent time, are they on fumes again?
    Top teams didn’t turn on the power button.

while im happy with ferrari and seb in fp1. im a little worried since bottas was only 0.3s slower on mediums(harder tyre) according to sky graphics and the ferrari customer teams are much further back whilst ocon. perez are much faster here
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    while im happy with ferrari and seb in fp1. im a little worried since bottas was only 0.3s slower on mediums(harder tyre) according to sky graphics and the ferrari customer teams are much further back whilst ocon. perez are much faster here
    Yes, me too. I am so worried that maybe is better just not watch F1 at all. Maybe suicide. I don`t know, but I am really worried.
    And Mercs is so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    Yes, me too. I am so worried that maybe is better just not watch F1 at all. Maybe suicide. I don`t know, but I am really worried.
    And Mercs is so fast.
    calm down there's always mastercard

Is this the first time u r watching ferrari customer teams back of the mercs customer teams ??
    In FP1 majority of the teams try to evaluate their updates which they brought for this race with their engines turned down.
    Stay positive, with the reports coming from various sources ferrari spec3 is more efficient than earlier spec & also with new fuel on board.

calm down there's always mastercard
    Yeah, thanks man, but what if it rains, it is so wet, if it rains, and Mercs is so fast.

whats the weather forecast for tomorrow?

Kimi only received the NEW SPEC 3 ICE and not the new MGU-H and Turbocharger... He is running SPEC 2 MGU-H and TC.

[AMuS]

"Ferrari drives with a different FUEL than its customers. According to regulations, the team would need to provide its partners with the same level of development of oil and gasoline. Except the customers give up."

"This case applies to Haas & Sauber. The reason sounds so strange and exciting. Fuel partner Shell is said to have found an additive that is said to do wonders. The production of the rare molecules used to cost a fortune and is possible only in limited quantities."

"It's enough for two Ferrari cars, but not for three teams. Since Spain, the miracle molecule is used."

There is no hope. We need to pull from 2018 championship and focus to 2021.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    There is no hope. We need to pull from 2018 championship and focus to 2021.
    ha ha....it's funny how the pessimists come up with doom and gloom just from watching free practice....lol

relax guys and gals, we got this under control
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Kimi only received the NEW SPEC 3 ICE and not the new MGU-H and Turbocharger... He is running SPEC 2 MGU-H and TC.

[AMuS]

"Ferrari drives with a different FUEL than its customers. According to regulations, the team would need to provide its partners with the same level of development of oil and gasoline. Except the customers give up."

"This case applies to Haas & Sauber. The reason sounds so strange and exciting. Fuel partner Shell is said to have found an additive that is said to do wonders. The production of the rare molecules used to cost a fortune and is possible only in limited quantities."

"It's enough for two Ferrari cars, but not for three teams. Since Spain, the miracle molecule is used."
    Yeah I have heard the same. Very strange.!!
    Will FIA allow such thing ... not providing to it’s customer teams?? Although it’s in limited quantities.

Vettel did a mistake on his FL... so couldn’t see the true potential.
    He comes alive in FP3, hopefully 2 ferrari cars r ahead of Ham.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    ha ha....it's funny how the pessimists come up with doom and gloom just from watching free practice....lol

relax guys and gals, we got this under control
    If all go well, we should be front row come Q3.
    Of course we could have all sort of the sky coming down on our heads if we believe the pessimists.

seb not really happy wiht the set up maybe??? at this stage kimi's got the upper hand

let's hope they dial it in better b4 quali
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Trend continues: Trouble free Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    Trend continues: Trouble free Friday.
    Can anyone tell me how our long runs were in comparison to the rest of the top teams, Just curious.
    Drive it like you stole it!

so with RBR down on power here and Bottas starting from the back, we should have the upper hand by outnumbering Merc (Ham) at the front. We should win this race really.