Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Spa-Francorchamps: Practices & Quaifying

Seb should not attempt to take hamilton at La Source as Hamilton will have a run at him up the hill and re-pass using the slip stream

Seb should instead get behind Hamilton at La Source and nail him up the hill and it's a drag race from there. If he can get a better overspeed then Hamilton should not be able to defend

He needs to time it perfectly as if Seb does it too early then Hamilton will duck back into Sebs slipstream and not have much of a overspeed such as last years restart

WE CAN FIND THE RIGHT WAY”
    ferrari-media

Weather played a role – again – in today’s qualifying result for Seb and Kimi

Spa-Francorchamps, August 25 – At the end of a messy qualifying session, Scuderia Ferrari drivers came away with Seb in P2 and Kimi in P6 for tomorrow’s race. Given the conditions, the team tried to split strategies between its two drivers to cover both scenarios, as everybody in the pit lane assumed the rain would come midway through Q3, but that was not the case and Kimi was caught out in the garage, while Seb found traffic in the shape of Ocon at the end of his final run. Both the drivers and the team are now fully focused on the race and the opportunities it should offer.

“Today was ok”, Seb commented: “we had the pace and we managed to stay on track and maintain control even if the conditions were tricky. I could have done much more but I made some mistakes, therefore I am happy with second position, albeit not completely of course. When it suddenly starts raining as it did today, everything gets more confused and there’s more traffic on track. You know that every lap is important, but you also know that the last one could be the best. However, we have a good car, our people are pushing very hard and I think we have taken another step forward here. I believe that speed is the main aspect that can make the difference. We’ll see how we get off the line tomorrow in the first lap, but I think that if we have better speed, then we will find the right way to pass. We’ve been very close so far, so I think we’ll see the real pace tomorrow in the race”.

“The weekend so far had being going in the right direction and the car was fine”, said Kimi. “The result of this qualifying is far from ideal, but not a disaster. For sure this is not the place we should have finished today. In the end we only had fuel for one lap and we had to come in. This is what we have got and there’s nothing we can do. It’s just a matter of getting it right and being there when the track is faster. At the moment, it is difficult to find a positive side, but the race is normally a different story and we’ll see what happens. Tomorrow we’ll try again, learn from our mistakes and keep going. First of all we need to come through the first corner without any issues. Yesterday it was surprisingly difficult to overtake, but in the race it is a different story”.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by mizf1 View Post
    Seb should not attempt to take hamilton at La Source as Hamilton will have a run at him up the hill and re-pass using the slip stream

Seb should instead get behind Hamilton at La Source and nail him up the hill and it's a drag race from there. If he can get a better overspeed then Hamilton should not be able to defend

He needs to time it perfectly as if Seb does it too early then Hamilton will duck back into Sebs slipstream and not have much of a overspeed such as last years restart
    Overtaking should be done on the Kemmel Straight....we have the speed on both cars. Seb wll control the race. It will come down to pit wall strategy.

TV cameras caught Ocon speaking to Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel after qualifying, as the former all but confirmed his seat at Force India would be taken by Lance Stroll in 2019.

Vettel: "Next year, where are you going? You are staying here?"

Ocon: "No, it [the seat] is taken."

Vettel: "Oh yeah? By who?"

Ocon: "Have a guess! The one who bought it!"

such a shame. Ocon definitely outperforms the Stroller on the track by a mile................but not in the bank. Perez will eat the Stroller for lunch. It will be an embarrassment for the Stroller and his father.

I wonder if Lawrence will make the call to get rid of his son given a year and his "paltry" performance.... I would.

This means Kubica will have a seat for Williams. Interesting to see what he does with Sirotkin for 2019.
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 25th August 2018 at 19:40.

Ferrari must look for Vettel's successor. The potential of such a good car is wasted by him.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    TV cameras caught Ocon speaking to Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel after qualifying, as the former all but confirmed his seat at Force India would be taken by Lance Stroll in 2019.

Vettel: "Next year, where are you going? You are staying here?"

Ocon: "No, it [the seat] is taken."

Vettel: "Oh yeah? By who?"

Ocon: "Have a guess! The one who bought it!"

such a shame. Ocon definitely outperforms the Stroller on the track by a mile................but not in the bank. Perez will eat the Stroller for lunch. It will be an embarrassment for the Stroller and his father.

I wonder if Lawrence will make the call to get rid of his son given a year and his "paltry" performance.... I would.

This means Kubica will have a seat for Williams. Interesting to see what he does with Sirotkin for 2019.
    I am actually glad for these Strollers. There are 20 cars on the grid now and in next year because of the dedicated dad Lawrence.

Should Mercedes really believe in Ocon he will definitely get a seat on Williams next year. Cheaper engines and stuff like that would seal the deal with the struggling team.

Quote Originally Posted by Lega Verde View Post
    I am actually glad for these Strollers. There are 20 cars on the grid now and in next year because of the dedicated dad Lawrence.

Should Mercedes really believe in Ocon he will definitely get a seat on Williams next year. Cheaper engines and stuff like that would seal the deal with the struggling team.
    When I see the Strolls on TV I always wonder what the family is doing for the daughter, I mean they’re spending absolute millions and millions on their sons hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by evo_spook View Post
    When I see the Strolls on TV I always wonder what the family is doing for the daughter, I mean they’re spending absolute millions and millions on their sons hobby.
    she is a singer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    she is a singer.
    Her own talent or family money?

It is like snowing at the race track at the moment according to the webcam:

http://www.spa-francorchamps.be/de/webcam

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    i guess you right, its just sky always reminds you that the championship is already 24pts behind and 10pts wcc but i dont really care about the wcc(just me) plus bottas at the back and yet again the team cant take advantage.

Aw well best chance is the first lap tomorrow if Ocon doesnt take out vettel for wolff, maybe seb can get a tow , last year hamilton slowed up so that vettel had to brake early and couldn't get the tow on that long straight possible it will happen again.
    Don't remember that...

Vettel was really close last year, and our car was not what it is this year...

We have the better car, it'll be okay boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Michal2_F1 View Post
    Both Mercedes and Ferrari screw up many races this year, Red Bull has torrid reliability, so everyone has a room to improve.

Hardly positive but at least it is P2 tomorrow and Kimi is ahead of the Red Bulls (FI and Grosjean will fall back quickly) with Bottas at the back.
    Ferrari screw up many races more than Mercedes. We like them because of the great work of putting together a great team that can beat the "unbeatable" Mercedes during this era

NO reason to be adventurous at the start. The race will come down to tyre management.

But if you can pass rapper boy into turn 1. Do it.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    Ferrari screw up many races more than Mercedes. We like them because of the great work of putting together a great team that can beat the "unbeatable" Mercedes during this era
    I still don't have an answer as to how in Hungary you let Vettel pass all that lap traffic, then bring him in the next lap. Boggles my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    Don't remember that...

Vettel was really close last year, and our car was not what it is this year...

We have the better car, it'll be okay boys.
    The story goes, Vettel was getting a slip stream, so Lewis didn’t go quite as fast up the hill as he could have done, this caused Vettel to pull out of the slipstream earlier then he wanted to and so lost some of his momentum

Points are won tomorrow...

Disappointed Since 2010

This year we have strongest car & very good straight line speed. Hope vettel would pull out a move on ham this time.
    Track will be cold, vettel need to judge braking point at la source perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    This year we have strongest car & very good straight line speed. Hope vettel would pull out a move on ham this time.
    Track will be cold, vettel need to judge braking point at la source perfectly
    ...OR, if he can't pass "two chains" off the start due to short run to la source, he can follow him up the hill, slipstreaming him and because our car has more top speed can pass him there into Les Combes
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by Noquarter View Post
    Ferrari must look for Vettel's successor. The potential of such a good car is wasted by him.
    Any suggestions ?

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    ...OR, if he can't pass "two chains" off the start due to short run to la source, he can follow him up the hill, slipstreaming him and because our car has more top speed can pass him there into Les Combes
    Lol
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    yep. When it was raining, I posted that we should wait till about 2.5min left in Q3 so the track drys (somewhat....aided with cars on the track and rain stopping) then bring the cars back out again....Kimi would have been fueled and Vettel would not have "damaged" those intermediate rain tires.

Mercedes did this in the last race while it rained.....waited with time left to do 2 flying laps. Even with time running out in Q3, you can still do a flying lap and take pole.
    true!, pretty sad how panicked and chaotic the team become almost like they didnt think it would rain, they definitely need to up their game, and be ready for everything. Any mistake now on could cost both championships straight away.

still seb was really struggling turning into the low speed corners compared to ratboy, some work still needs to be done, who knows when it'l rain again to ruin everything.
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!

Quote Originally Posted by evo_spook View Post
    The story goes, Vettel was getting a slip stream, so Lewis didn’t go quite as fast up the hill as he could have done, this caused Vettel to pull out of the slipstream earlier then he wanted to and so lost some of his momentum
    Yup!, he slowed down enough that vettel couldn't stay in the slipstream and couldn't gain down the straight, stronger engine this year, both got equal PU's in spec3 and might give a better chance for seb if he is in drs

track is very cold and a lot of Fog currently via Amus

track is very cold and a lot of Fog currently via Amus
    a normal morning for the area, it will probably clear up.
    Life might be hard, Concrete is a lot harder

Quote Originally Posted by The Reizo View Post
    Any suggestions ?
    Why do you care? It certainly ain’t Hamilton

Any suggestions ?
    Max!

Any suggestions ?
    Other than Max & ham. But for now vettel can do the job. When he retires, Charles Leclerc is in the line.

Yup!, he slowed down enough that vettel couldn't stay in the slipstream and couldn't gain down the straight, stronger engine this year, both got equal PU's in spec3 and might give a better chance for seb if he is in drs
    Even though on equal PU’s, Ferrari have good top speed this year. So vettel should definitely get ham this time around.
    Mercs went for higher DF Becoz,
    1) S2 sector is long
    2) if they go with lower DF, it will stress their tyres very much in S1&S3. As we know Mercs struggle on SS, US.

Hopefully no rain today.