Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Mick Schumacher, why isn’t he in Formula One yet?

Schumacher goes 19th fastest while Shwartzman goes 6th. StyrianGP 2020 FP2 race 2.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

This title is more appropriate: "Why should Mick Schumacher ever be in F1"

Shwartzman already matched at his very first F2 race. And now pretty much out-performing Mick in his 2nd F2 race.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    This title is more appropriate: "Why should Mick Schumacher ever be in F1"

Shwartzman already matched at his very first F2 race. And now pretty much out-performing Mick in his 2nd F2 race.
    He needs to step up should he want to be in F1.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    He must step up, but the question is, can he? To step up, Mick needs to have wide performance window, but unfortunately, I don't think he got what it takes. To dug deep and find those missing tenths to uplift his performance, don't think Mick is capable enough to do it. To me, Mick has already reached his maximum performance curve.

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    He must step up, but the question is, can he? To step up, Mick needs to have wide performance window, but unfortunately, I don't think he got what it takes. To dug deep and find those missing tenths to uplift his performance, don't think Mick is capable enough to do it. To me, Mick has already reached his maximum performance curve.

He's already got an F1 seat........with Alfo Romeo in 2021.

Oh well. Let's see if he can shine in F1.

He ain't no Leclerc in F2 that's for sure and Schwartzman, a rookie, is making Schumacher look rather bad.

Robert Shwartzman Wins his first F2 race, What a talent.

Shwartzman wins!

Schumi P4.
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Robert Shwartzman Wins his first F2 race, What a talent.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
    Shwartzman wins!

Schumi P4.

Congrats Schwartzman. Not bad for a rookie.

BOOM!!!

https://twitter.com/FIA_F2/status/1282007154648584195
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 11th July 2020 at 18:06.

He needs to be given time and space to grow. There are no certainties in life just because of your surname. That's a lot of weight on anyone's shoulders.

Good luck Mick.

Schumacher was 3rd in the sprint race, chasing Ticktum for place 2. And then his fire extinguisher went off in the car, so he had to retire, good lord, what a terrible weekend this is set to be.
    Last edited by Lesky; 12th July 2020 at 09:49.
    "Formula 1 is not a sport anymore” - Fernando Alonso

Quote Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
    Schumacher was 3rd in the sprint race, chasing Ticktum for place 2. And then his fire extinguisher went off in the car, so he had to retire, good lord, what a terrible weekend this is set to be.
    https://twitter.com/MrAlexF1/status/1282246661775990785

So after the races in Austria:

Schwartzman(rookie) has 48pts vs Mick's 14pts.

I don't want to give the wrong impression here. I was a huge and I mean HUGE Schumi fan, from his first laps in the Jordan in 1991 until the day he retired(again) and I would dearly love to see Mick in F1 (especially if he whipped Hammy) but, I have to say I've really not seen anything that impressive from him. I have not seen all his races (only 6-7) but as of now, I'm not impressed and I think he would be out of his depth in F1.

Hopefully he'll prove me wrong and have some amazing races, I do wish him the best.

Schumacher had pole position in the wet, but decided to go in and change tires, while the other top rivals stayed out on track, when Mick returned to track and were ready to set new time the session was red flagged because a car stopped on track. The session will not be re-started. Mick will start from 5th. The decision to into to get new tires first ended up in disaster.

Hungary 2020

Mick gets overtaken by Schwartman. Schwartman for the win. Look how many seconds behind Schumacher is behind Schwartzman at the end of the race.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EdOEzD5X...png&name=small

SCHW is on fire!
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Hungary 2020

Mick gets overtaken by Schwartman. Schwartman for the win. Look how many seconds behind Schumacher is behind Schwartzman at the end of the race.

He’s the future star....!!

Hungary 2020 Race 2

Mick gets P3. Schwartzman P4

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EdR9y6tX...png&name=small

Too bad for Callum. Robert is mega. Good for Mick to build up momentum and confidence. Very nice drive from Luca.

Mick looks a smart guy and he knows by now for sure that drivers like his father come along once a generation. He has hopefully come to peace with this and looks to carve out a niche in his own way, at his own pace. Too early an entry into F1 will not be good for him.

Hungary 2020

Did you even watch the race? How about giving some context to the overtake? Schwartman had fresh new soft tires on, while Schumacher was on 30 laps old mediums that were shot. One of the worst drivers on the grid finished 2nd because he had the same strategy as Schwartman. They were both gaining like 3-4 seconds per lap on everybody else. Schumacher was the highest finishing driver who had the wrong strategy. All of the tops drivers had the wrong strategy, except Schwartman because he failed in Qualifying and started from P11 and therefore got the alternate strategy, which ended up a lottery ticket for him. Definitely a good prospect, but Mick has performed equally well except that spin after the safety car the first weekend.
    Last edited by Lesky; 23rd July 2020 at 07:50.

Did you even watch the race? How about giving some context to the overtake? Schwartman had fresh new soft tires on, while Schumacher was on 30 laps old mediums that were shot. One of the worst drivers on the grid finished 2nd because he had the same strategy as Schwartman. They were both gaining like 3-4 seconds per lap on everybody else. Schumacher was the highest finishing driver who had the wrong strategy. All of the tops drivers had the wrong strategy, except Schwartman because he failed in Qualifying and started from P11 and therefore got the alternate strategy, which ended up a lottery ticket for him. Definitely a good prospect, but Mick has performed equally well except that spin after the safety car the first weekend.

Yes, wrong strat call for Mick....it was unfortunate. Good strat call for Schwartzman....fortunate. Nevertheless, the Russian and a rookie I might add, has alot more race-craft than Mick.

What's up with all these excuses? And Mick is performed equally well? LMAO.

Robert in his current debut F2 season has already racked up 2 wins and leading the points table. Mick, who's not a rookie, is yet to win a race and 42 points behind Robert. And Robert already demonstrated his race craft, unlike Mick, who seems to go offtrack every time when he's under pressure.

I will see you after this years F2, when Robert clinches the championship in his rookie year and Mick is not even in the top 3. But as always, there will be excuses. And some laughable posts regarding Mick's undeserved promotion to F1, even when the likes of Callum and Armstrong are looking more promising and talented than Mick.

What's up with all these excuses? And Mick is performed equally well? LMAO.

Robert in his current debut F2 season has already racked up 2 wins and leading the points table. Mick, who's not a rookie, is yet to win a race and 42 points behind Robert. And Robert already demonstrated his race craft, unlike Mick, who seems to go offtrack every time when he's under pressure.

I will see you after this years F2, when Robert clinches the championship in his rookie year and Mick is not even in the top 3. But as always, there will be excuses. And some laughable posts regarding Mick's undeserved promotion to F1, even when the likes of Callum and Armstrong are looking more promising and talented than Mick.
    Nothing wrong with Micks speed this year, he binned a 2nd place in the first race after a late safety car getting greedy for the win instead of securing points. And then his fire extinguisher went off which cost him another podium. He would be equal with Shwartzman otherwise, or probably ahead. I think that mistake he made in the first race was really clumsy. Otherwise his race pace has been good. Still Shwartzman looks mighty impressive, its going to take a massive effort for Mick to climb out of the hole he is in, we will see if he will crumble under the pressure or not, he needs to get results even if Shwartzman beats him.

You might be right, but for now its too early to tell. Maybe we should wait more 3 races into the season to conclude that? I did only explain Shwartzmans overtake on Schumacher as it was left out in the post above, I have never said Schumacher deserves to be promoted over anyone ever, so you can save that for someone else.

Will there be F2 races for every venue that add an F1 race btw? F2 is providing much more entertainment than F1 at the moment.

Will there be F2 races for every venue that add an F1 race btw? F2 is providing much more entertainment than F1 at the moment.
    yes

[bolded area] That's the way it was when Leclerc was racing in F2. He was on another level. So far, Schwartzman reminds of Leclerc in F2.

Nothing wrong with Micks speed this year, he binned a 2nd place in the first race after a late safety car getting greedy for the win instead of securing points. And then his fire extinguisher went off which cost him another podium. He would be equal with Shwartzman otherwise, or probably ahead. I think that mistake he made in the first race was really clumsy. Otherwise his race pace has been good. Still Shwartzman looks mighty impressive, its going to take a massive effort for Mick to climb out of the hole he is in, we will see if he will crumble under the pressure or not, he needs to get results even if Shwartzman beats him.

You might be right, but for now its too early to tell. Maybe we should wait more 3 races into the season to conclude that? I did only explain Shwartzmans overtake on Schumacher as it was left out in the post above, I have never said Schumacher deserves to be promoted over anyone ever, so you can save that for someone else.

The point is, Robert Schwartzman is a special talent, Mick isn't. Last year, Schwartzman won the F3 which was his debut season, and his current rookie year in F2, he has already won 2 races and now leading the championship. Don't you think this are highly impressive credentials?

Last year Mick was average, although he has improved his speed this year, but that's to be expected since he's no longer a rookie. But right know, Schwartzman has pretty much outshined and outclassed him. And as @jgonzalesm6 has already said, Robert Schwartzman is looking more and more like Leclerc.

yes

[bolded area] That's the way it was when Leclerc was racing in F2. He was on another level. So far, Schwartzman reminds of Leclerc in F2.
    Indeed.

And speaking of Hungary and about the so called superior alternate strategy, sure it proved to be the defining one and Robert clearly benefited from it. But the thing is, Robert had the same pace with old tyres vs Mick with new ones. And even without the safety car, Robert would've still won the race. That alternate strategy simply widened the gap, but even then winning a F2 race with 16 seconds margin is mighty impressive.

Ferrari needs to see more from Schumacher before F1 seat is considered

Ferrari has praised Mick Schumacher's Formula 2 progress this year, but says it needs to see more from him before it can consider moving him up to Formula 1.

Schumacher, who is part of Ferrari's young driver programme, is currently fourth overall in the F2 standings on the back of a double podium haul in Hungary last weekend.

F1's superlience requirements mean that Schumacher needs to finish sixth overall to qualify for an F1 seat for 2021, with Ferrari having the possibility to slot him in at Alfa Romeo if they think he is ready.

Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto says the step up that Schumacher has made since last year, when he finished 12th overall, is clear, but is aware that the young German will need to keep producing results if he is to be in contention for an F1 contract.

"I think that Mick is certainly doing well, and he is doing a lot better than last year," said Binotto, when asked by Autosport about Ferrari's plans for Schumacher.

"It was important for him in his second year of F2 and he is showing progress.

"I think that he is showing progress as well since the start of the season.

"He had some bad luck situations but if you look at his results in Hungary, he did well. So Mick is progressing which is important.

"Next year I think it is really too early to decide. We are really clear and fair with him: his overall performance in the championship will be important.

"So he will be in an F1 seat at the time that we believe he has done sufficient progress overall. Also he needs simply to continue as he is doing now, and we will decide later on in the season."

Schumacher says his focus this year is on improving to become the best driver he can.

Reflecting on the steps forward he has made and what he hopes to get out of 2020, he said: "I want to be among the top drivers: fighting for good positions.

"My main target is to improve myself as a racing driver to become the complete racing driver I am chasing.

"I want to improve on the human side, to become let's say more grown up, to become more mature and to bond with the team in a way which no other driver can."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...re-for-f1-step

Bad feature race for both Prema boys. Mick was first after the first corner, ninth on finnish. Schwartzman also got a good a start but couldn't do anything after that. Best Ferrari academy driver was Callut Ilott, fifth, who started from the pits.

3rd (feature) and 2nd (sprint) for Mick in Spa. I don't follow F2 closely enough to understand the factors at play. How's he looking for F1 at the moment?
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."