Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 213141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Singapore GP: Race

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Yeah 2 guys on a forum decide Seb has given up based on a interview after a hard race and it must be true

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    at that point in the race. But i think at another point he said he had issues with the rears.
    He complained later that his tyres were cold when he was caught up with the back markers.
    Forza Ferrari

Next race ferrari 1-2 & Lewis DNF

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Next race ferrari 1-2 & Lewis DNF
    Well the sad thing is that we need even more than that to have a good chance at championships... The team & drivers need to work like clockwork in the last races to be able to beat Mercedes. But in the current state, I think that more blunders will be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    Well the sad thing is that we need even more than that to have a good chance at championships... The team & drivers need to work like clockwork in the last races to be able to beat Mercedes. But in the current state, I think that more blunders will be made.
    Well, given the blunders from Ferrari pit wall in the past few races, I’m not going to hold my breath that a lot of that may change by next race or remaining of the races, but imlov for Ferrari to prove me wrong

Seb just has to go into every race weekend with a clear had and go for the win every time, starting with P1 in quali
    If he does that 6 times, I know it’s a lot to ask from him and the team, but that is the only way we can win that WDC
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    Well, given the blunders from Ferrari pit wall in the past few races, I’m not going to hold my breath that a lot of that may change by next race or remaining of the races, but imlov for Ferrari to prove me wrong

Seb just has to go into every race weekend with a clear had and go for the win every time, starting with P1 in quali
    If he does that 6 times, I know it’s a lot to ask from him and the team, but that is the only way we can win that WDC
    I would love to believe that is possible too but with a gap of 0.6sec in the last quali I seriously doubt we will manage to get Lewis off P1 any time soon. Singapore was meant to be a Ferrari/Vettel track.

Quote Originally Posted by WRX202 View Post
    I would love to believe that is possible too but with a gap of 0.6sec in the last quali I seriously doubt we will manage to get Lewis off P1 any time soon. Singapore was meant to be a Ferrari/Vettel track.
    Well to be fair, I personally don’t think that the true gap is o.6s, is just that Lewis,s lap was mighty due to his race craft talent; one has to look at potato,h3ad Bottas where he qualified and that is a more clearer picture of their pace

Even Seb said after quali that he doesn’t think the gap is that big.

What Ferrari failed to do was, sent them out in quali in front of Merc because the Merc were treating their outlap kindly and slow to protect the tires, whereas Ferrari needed a fast outlap to bring them into the optimum working window

So by not doing so, fer ari we’re stuck behind a slew of cars and I think even Seb mentioned something to the pit wall that next time to find him a bigger gap between cars so he can bring the tires better to optimum temp
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

I know I said that after watching it the post race conference Seb looked a bit down....well I remember Lewis how down he was afte the race in Spa when he said that the Ferrari was too quick for him and that Seb blew past him like he wasn’t even there

And when he was asked if he feels safe with the gap buffer he had at that time to Seb (30 plus points), he mentioned to the interviewer that it doesn’t take a brain scientist to figure out that if he keeps coming second the gap will be gone in a few races

Well let’s hope Ferrari can now fully work together with calmness and determination and win the remaining rac es and leave Luise in the smoke of the donuts Seb will unleash in Abu Dhabi

Well to be fair, I personally don’t think that the true gap is o.6s, is just that Lewis,s lap was mighty due to his race craft talent; one has to look at potato,h3ad Bottas where he qualified and that is a more clearer picture of their pace

Even Seb said after quali that he doesn’t think the gap is that big.

What Ferrari failed to do was, sent them out in quali in front of Merc because the Merc were treating their outlap kindly and slow to protect the tires, whereas Ferrari needed a fast outlap to bring them into the optimum working window

So by not doing so, fer ari we’re stuck behind a slew of cars and I think even Seb mentioned something to the pit wall that next time to find him a bigger gap between cars so he can bring the tires better to optimum temp
    Bottas right now is just a barrier. He gets to do the longer runs for the undercut so they have a fail safe. As long as he finishes in front of Kimi even their Manufacturer title is safe. I do not for one second believe that Lewis can out qualify Bottas by 0.7 sec in the same car. Ferrari are not helping with these soppy strategies and timings. They need to get aggressive in the evil way now not just tyre choices. Use Kimi as a decoy, interrupt clean runs, nothing to lose anymore. Look at the Mercs, both of them did a final run, even Lewis with such a massive margin went out. The more cars out the less chances Vettel had for a clean run.

Man I miss the Jean Todt / Ross Brawn days. They were impressively sharp and sly when it came to the perfect timing. No wonder Todt always ran around with that handheld stop watch, 1 look and everyone in the garage knew what needed to be done.

Yeah we need to recruit some people that are at least close to Todt and Brawn's level. But easier said than done it seems. Michael was also a better driver than Seb, it all adds up.

Quote Originally Posted by WRX202 View Post
    It was never meant to be Ferrari/Vettel track. It was meant to be Red Bull track with Ferrari close behind.

Also it is wrong to compare SF71-H with last year's car/result. SF71-H isn't anything like last years SF70-H, it has longer wheelbase and built for tracks with high/medium speed long corners and long straights. Compare last years worst races with this year's car. Ferrari was nowhere near Mercedes at Silverstone or Monza, but this year we won Silverstone and we locked out the front row at Monza. Last years car was only good at high downforce stop and go tracks.

SF71-H lacks agility, It's why Ferrari wasn't as good in Monaco or Singapore as they were last year. But the remaining 6 races should suit our car nicely.

"You can't change what happened. But you can still change what will happen." – Sebastian Vettel.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    It was never meant to be Ferrari/Vettel track. It was meant to be Red Bull track with Ferrari close behind.

Also it is wrong to compare SF71-H with last year's car/result. SF71-H isn't anything like last years SF70-H, it has longer wheelbase and built for tracks with high/medium speed long corners and long straights. Compare last years worst races with this year's car. Ferrari was nowhere near Mercedes at Silverstone or Monza, but this year we won Silverstone and we locked out the front row at Monza. Last years car was only good at high downforce stop and go tracks.

SF71-H lacks agility, It's why Ferrari wasn't as good in Monaco or Singapore as they were last year. But the remaining 6 races should suit our car nicely.
    +1
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post

Indeed, we are still in with a chance granted the chance is a lot smaller than it should be but 6 perfect weekends for us and we can win both titles. I see Lewis is in the media today having a go at Seb saying how he is so proud he is not making any mistakes like Seb.....you know those kind of words tend to come back and hurt you
    Forza Ferrari

Indeed, we are still in with a chance granted the chance is a lot smaller than it should be but 6 perfect weekends for us and we can win both titles. I see Lewis is in the media today having a go at Seb saying how he is so proud he is not making any mistakes like Seb.....you know those kind of words tend to come back and hurt you
    INDEED.....what goes around comes around....i hope those words come around and nips 'ol Lewise's rear ENS hard....

I see Lewis is in the media today having a go at Seb saying how he is so proud he is not making any mistakes like Seb.....
    Hamilton has a short memory and a really obnoxious attitude that is unbecoming of a world champion. The first half of his 2018 season was a far cry from how Alonso performed in 2012. He should be proud and grateful that his team is not making any of the strategic mistakes Ferrari has made this year.

Disappointed Since 2010

FerrariSteve Guest
    INDEED.....what goes around comes around....i hope those words come around and nips 'ol Lewise's rear ENS hard....
    Doesn't happen to him though, he's bulletproof and has more luck than any driver in the history of the sport.
    Couple that with the fact that even when it's mid-field cars LEAP out of his way so he doesn't have to pass them and with Charlie on his side.

win win win until his retirement (which cannot come fast enough for me)

If there is any fairness in providence then that could happen but Ham seems to have all of the luck this season.

Forza Jules

Indeed, we are still in with a chance granted the chance is a lot smaller than it should be but 6 perfect weekends for us and we can win both titles. I see Lewis is in the media today having a go at Seb saying how he is so proud he is not making any mistakes like Seb.....you know those kind of words tend to come back and hurt you :-D
    Yeah, the gypsy woman with the crystal ball would agree. That has to make it true...

Ham’s hubris will come back to haunt him. Look what arrogance (Silverstone) did to Seb. In earnest, everything started to go badly for him at Baku 2017. Sebastian’s still under that spell.

In this business it’s best to be humble and quiet, for the most.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    Yeah, the gypsy woman with the crystal ball would agree. That has to make it true...
    Well, really there’s nothing supernatural here but some form of “retribution” for bad deeds that is rooted in the mundane realm of psychology and how one’s mind adjusts to a perceived sense of justice, whether deserved or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by doublesixes View Post
    Well, really there’s nothing supernatural here but some form of “retribution” for bad deeds that is rooted in the mundane realm of psychology and how one’s mind adjusts to a perceived sense of justice, whether deserved or otherwise.
    You visited her too?

You visited her too?

Disappointed Since 2010

You visited her too?
    My horoscope clearly adviced not to talk to gypsy women and to not leave the house unless absolutely necessary

There are two reasons that we see MB and Lewis having so much help from everyone. One the MB contract with ma-FIA and the second his color. We need to have a sport to many cultures and races. But the only one that gets more money in the plate is our Team!

Next race is double header Russia-japan.
    Ferrari needs to get perfect set-up for both drivers & deliver 1-2. Forget about Lewis & focus on 1-2 that’s it.
    If Ferrari delivers 1-2 in next consecutive races, it will exert pressure on Merc & Lewis.

So it’s not only vet’s position, kimi finishing position is also key for WDC & WCC.

Quote Originally Posted by doublesixes View Post
    My horoscope clearly adviced not to talk to gypsy women and to not leave the house unless absolutely necessary
    Oh my god are you a dragon too? That's why mine says also, lol

Seb to take 6 victories in the row from now on, which will be the biggest miracle of the century. What a turn around, you heard it here first.

64 points Vettel & Ferrari have lost up to Singapore; and thats a conservative figure. This does not include the penalty with Sainz in Austria. Hamilton currently leads by 40pts.

Ferrari have to take as much responsibility as Vettel for their 2018 implosion

A series of driving errors have been made by Sebastian Vettel – but Ferrari have made many blunders on strategy which has heaped even more pressure on the German driver. Has it cost them a run at the championship in the closing stages of the season again? It seems so.

After another massively frustrating event in Singapore for Sebastian Vettel and Scuderia Ferrari, the question is: Is the championship over? The answer would seem to be yes at present – and they only need to look internally to find where the blame lies.

Vettel’s mistakes

There has been a number of mistakes by the German in 2018 so far and it’s quite surprising for a four-time World Champion.

The first slip up Vettel made was in Baku. Following a Safety Car after the collision between the Red Bulls, he found himself behind Bottas. On the resumption, he tried a move down the inside but locked up and ran wide. It was a brave attempt and a real racer will always try to win as he did. However, he lost positions to Hamilton, Raikkonen and Perez to finish 4th.

Possible points lost: 13 (If he’d taken the lead and avoided the debris unlike Bottas)

France was a costly error by the four-time champion. A great launch off the line saw him in the tow of Hamilton but he couldn’t go anywhere as Bottas was boxing him in. He then ran into the Finn at turn one and damaged his front wing. A good recovery from the back of the pack gave him a P5 finish; it should have been a better result than that, though.

Possible points lost: 6-8

Vettel’s biggest mistake of the season came at the German Grand Prix. He converted pole position into a comfortable lead and look set to win in front of his home crowd. Yet, heartbreak would follow. As a light shower fell, he made the smallest mistake at T12, ended up in the gravel and out of the race.

To compound the misery, Lewis Hamilton won from P14 on the grid and gained 25 points on his German rival.

Possible points lost: 25

Italy was another race of extraordinary frustration for Vettel. He outqualified Lewis Hamilton but saw team-mate Kimi Raikkonen take pole position. With Raikkonen knowing he would be out of Ferrari team at the end of 2018, the Finn went out and raced for himself.

Vettel tried into the first chicane but Raikkonen closed the door. He thought about a move into the second chicane but the Finn covered the middle of the road. Hamilton took his opportunity and went around the outside of his title rival. He left space for the German but small contact resulted in a spin for Vettel.

Again, like France, he drove through the field nicely with a damaged car and rescued a 4th place finish. Once again, he lost a probable win because of his own error. Ferrari would have surely swapped their drivers around at some stage.

Possible points lost: 6-13

Ferrari’s errors

It’s been a season of bad strategic choices for the men in red on the pit wall and they’ve life much more difficult for their drivers. It’s been the case for a long time and it has continued in 2018

China was the first event where the team let Vettel down. He pulled a nice 3s lead to Bottas in the opening stint but then Mercedes triggered the undercut. Vettel pitted a lap later but the power of the undercut around Shanghai meant the Finn leapt ahead and into the lead.

Vettel, like Bottas, had just exited the final corner before the safety car was deployed for debris at the hairpin. Ferrari is blameless on this part. However, he should never have ended up behind Bottas and eventually got hit by Verstappen as he finished 8th.

It’s likely Ricciardo and Verstappen would have overtaken him anyway even if he was in the lead, but a bad call on strategy cost him valuable points and potentially avoiding the collision caused by Verstappen.

Possible points lost: 11

At one stage in Hungary, Vettel had enough of an advantage over Bottas to overcut him and jump up into 2nd to try and chase down Hamilton down for the victory. It would have required quite a long stint but at least he could have possibly had a go at Hamilton at some stage.

Yet, Ferrari extended the first stint and he got stuck behind Sainz who didn’t get out of the way despite many blue flags getting waved at him. Vettel returned to the track with the Finn’s Mercedes in front and only in the closing stages could he get through to take 2nd place.

In reality, it may have cost them nothing, but it blew any chance of Vettel trying to pressure Hamilton. The strategists were far too slow to react.

Finally, we reach yesterday’s race in Singapore. A disappointing qualifying on Saturday meant Vettel found himself down in 3rd, 0.6s off Hamilton’s amazing pole lap.

He rectified some of that disappointment with a nice move on Verstappen down into T7 on the opening lap of the race. Unfortunately for him, another strategy blunder occurred.

They pitted the German at the end of lap 14 to try and undercut Hamilton and put on ultrasofts. However, this completely backfired. He got stuck behind Sergio Perez for a whole and lost the second position to Verstappen after the Dutchman boxed on lap 17. A 47-lap stint on the ultras was something that seemed impossible but he managed to make it. The softs proved to be a better, far more durable tyre. Yet again, his team let him down.

Possible points lost: 3

Mercedes have not been perfect as we saw in Australia and Austria, but they’ve done a far better job overall.

Conclusion

What has been written above doesn’t even include errors made by the team in qualifying sessions this year or the last number of years. A perfect example is Australia 2016.

Following the scary shunt between Fernando Alonso and Esteban Gutierrez, Ferrari could have put mediums on Vettel’s car like the Mercedes’ did and he would have won the race. Instead, he was on supersofts and had to pit again which left him down in 3rd -and that’s where he finished.

Inaki Rueda has been Ferraris Chief Strategist since March 2015 and you would have to say there has been a lot of errors since he was appointed. This doesn’t even include the number of horrible strategies Kimi Raikkonen has been given.

Arrivabene’s leadership is also coming under scrutiny; one wonders if it’s time for Mattia Binotto to take the reins with the famous Italian team.

Binotto’s worked his way up and after becoming Chief Operating Officer, Power Unit, Ferrari made huge strides forward with the PU and are neck and neck with the Mercedes in this department after a huge gap in 2014. Ferrari made him Chief Technical Officer two years later. The Italian squad has made big gains in all areas and Binotto deserves a good bit of credit for this.

Changes are needed and better leadership is required – and he looks to be the best option inside the Ferrari team. At 49, he’s at a prime age to fill this big position.

Vettel has thrown away many points and should be leading the championship. Yet, you can’t solely put the blame on him. While he deserves some criticism for some of his mistakes, his team have really let him down and are equally culpable at the very least.

As respected F1 journalist Mark Hughes wrote on Twitter on Saturday: Vettel again having to combine running Ferrari pit operations with driving. It’s simply not good enough for a driver in a big team that they need to worry about strategies while managing so many things in the cockpit in the race.

Like the Schumacher – Brawn combination, Ferrari need a strategist who can work well with Vettel and let the German concentrate on the driving.

Despite building a great package (which they deserve a lot of credit for), it seems this year championships are gone. Ferrari, like Sebastian Vettel has, need to only blame themselves. The Tifosi look like they have been let down again.

https://www.motorlat.com/notas/espec...2018-implosion
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    64 points Vettel & Ferrari have lost up to Singapore; and thats a conservative figure. This does not include the penalty with Sainz in Austria. Hamilton currently leads by 40pts.

Ferrari have to take as much responsibility as Vettel for their 2018 implosion

A series of driving errors have been made by Sebastian Vettel – but Ferrari have made many blunders on strategy which has heaped even more pressure on the German driver. Has it cost them a run at the championship in the closing stages of the season again? It seems so.

After another massively frustrating event in Singapore for Sebastian Vettel and Scuderia Ferrari, the question is: Is the championship over? The answer would seem to be yes at present – and they only need to look internally to find where the blame lies.

Vettel’s mistakes

There has been a number of mistakes by the German in 2018 so far and it’s quite surprising for a four-time World Champion.

The first slip up Vettel made was in Baku. Following a Safety Car after the collision between the Red Bulls, he found himself behind Bottas. On the resumption, he tried a move down the inside but locked up and ran wide. It was a brave attempt and a real racer will always try to win as he did. However, he lost positions to Hamilton, Raikkonen and Perez to finish 4th.

Possible points lost: 13 (If he’d taken the lead and avoided the debris unlike Bottas)

France was a costly error by the four-time champion. A great launch off the line saw him in the tow of Hamilton but he couldn’t go anywhere as Bottas was boxing him in. He then ran into the Finn at turn one and damaged his front wing. A good recovery from the back of the pack gave him a P5 finish; it should have been a better result than that, though.

Possible points lost: 6-8

Vettel’s biggest mistake of the season came at the German Grand Prix. He converted pole position into a comfortable lead and look set to win in front of his home crowd. Yet, heartbreak would follow. As a light shower fell, he made the smallest mistake at T12, ended up in the gravel and out of the race.

To compound the misery, Lewis Hamilton won from P14 on the grid and gained 25 points on his German rival.

Possible points lost: 25

Italy was another race of extraordinary frustration for Vettel. He outqualified Lewis Hamilton but saw team-mate Kimi Raikkonen take pole position. With Raikkonen knowing he would be out of Ferrari team at the end of 2018, the Finn went out and raced for himself.

Vettel tried into the first chicane but Raikkonen closed the door. He thought about a move into the second chicane but the Finn covered the middle of the road. Hamilton took his opportunity and went around the outside of his title rival. He left space for the German but small contact resulted in a spin for Vettel.

Again, like France, he drove through the field nicely with a damaged car and rescued a 4th place finish. Once again, he lost a probable win because of his own error. Ferrari would have surely swapped their drivers around at some stage.

Possible points lost: 6-13

Ferrari’s errors

It’s been a season of bad strategic choices for the men in red on the pit wall and they’ve life much more difficult for their drivers. It’s been the case for a long time and it has continued in 2018

China was the first event where the team let Vettel down. He pulled a nice 3s lead to Bottas in the opening stint but then Mercedes triggered the undercut. Vettel pitted a lap later but the power of the undercut around Shanghai meant the Finn leapt ahead and into the lead.

Vettel, like Bottas, had just exited the final corner before the safety car was deployed for debris at the hairpin. Ferrari is blameless on this part. However, he should never have ended up behind Bottas and eventually got hit by Verstappen as he finished 8th.

It’s likely Ricciardo and Verstappen would have overtaken him anyway even if he was in the lead, but a bad call on strategy cost him valuable points and potentially avoiding the collision caused by Verstappen.

Possible points lost: 11

At one stage in Hungary, Vettel had enough of an advantage over Bottas to overcut him and jump up into 2nd to try and chase down Hamilton down for the victory. It would have required quite a long stint but at least he could have possibly had a go at Hamilton at some stage.

Yet, Ferrari extended the first stint and he got stuck behind Sainz who didn’t get out of the way despite many blue flags getting waved at him. Vettel returned to the track with the Finn’s Mercedes in front and only in the closing stages could he get through to take 2nd place.

In reality, it may have cost them nothing, but it blew any chance of Vettel trying to pressure Hamilton. The strategists were far too slow to react.

Finally, we reach yesterday’s race in Singapore. A disappointing qualifying on Saturday meant Vettel found himself down in 3rd, 0.6s off Hamilton’s amazing pole lap.

He rectified some of that disappointment with a nice move on Verstappen down into T7 on the opening lap of the race. Unfortunately for him, another strategy blunder occurred.

They pitted the German at the end of lap 14 to try and undercut Hamilton and put on ultrasofts. However, this completely backfired. He got stuck behind Sergio Perez for a whole and lost the second position to Verstappen after the Dutchman boxed on lap 17. A 47-lap stint on the ultras was something that seemed impossible but he managed to make it. The softs proved to be a better, far more durable tyre. Yet again, his team let him down.

Possible points lost: 3

Mercedes have not been perfect as we saw in Australia and Austria, but they’ve done a far better job overall.

Conclusion

What has been written above doesn’t even include errors made by the team in qualifying sessions this year or the last number of years. A perfect example is Australia 2016.

Following the scary shunt between Fernando Alonso and Esteban Gutierrez, Ferrari could have put mediums on Vettel’s car like the Mercedes’ did and he would have won the race. Instead, he was on supersofts and had to pit again which left him down in 3rd -and that’s where he finished.

Inaki Rueda has been Ferraris Chief Strategist since March 2015 and you would have to say there has been a lot of errors since he was appointed. This doesn’t even include the number of horrible strategies Kimi Raikkonen has been given.

Arrivabene’s leadership is also coming under scrutiny; one wonders if it’s time for Mattia Binotto to take the reins with the famous Italian team.

Binotto’s worked his way up and after becoming Chief Operating Officer, Power Unit, Ferrari made huge strides forward with the PU and are neck and neck with the Mercedes in this department after a huge gap in 2014. Ferrari made him Chief Technical Officer two years later. The Italian squad has made big gains in all areas and Binotto deserves a good bit of credit for this.

Changes are needed and better leadership is required – and he looks to be the best option inside the Ferrari team. At 49, he’s at a prime age to fill this big position.

Vettel has thrown away many points and should be leading the championship. Yet, you can’t solely put the blame on him. While he deserves some criticism for some of his mistakes, his team have really let him down and are equally culpable at the very least.

As respected F1 journalist Mark Hughes wrote on Twitter on Saturday: Vettel again having to combine running Ferrari pit operations with driving. It’s simply not good enough for a driver in a big team that they need to worry about strategies while managing so many things in the cockpit in the race.

Like the Schumacher – Brawn combination, Ferrari need a strategist who can work well with Vettel and let the German concentrate on the driving.

Despite building a great package (which they deserve a lot of credit for), it seems this year championships are gone. Ferrari, like Sebastian Vettel has, need to only blame themselves. The Tifosi look like they have been let down again.

https://www.motorlat.com/notas/espec...2018-implosion

absolutely brilliant, agreed with all of this, everything, add in bahrain was another mess up by ferrari putting seb on the wrong tyres and taking kimi out of the race, it was a miracle seb got them to the end infront of bottas for the win
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)