Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 65 of 65

Thread: The FIA shut down Ferrari's Engine Advantage

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Christchurch,UK
    Posts
    3,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    The special tyres we won Silverstone with and could have France if not for a Seb mistake? How can we blame the FIA for that? Have we gone backwards or it simply we have stalled and Merc have gone forwards? Looks to me we were using the extra boost to make all our time on the straights meaning we could run more downforce, now we have to run less downforce to regain straightline speed at the cost of sliding around more and hurting our tyres....

    Without all our mistakes then I have no doubt we would be winning the title this year, we would have been well clear of Lewis and they probably would not have spent so much in this years development war.
    I take your point Greig but despite us winning at Silverstone with the 'special' tyres which I believe had been requested initially by Mercedes/FIA because some re-surfacing had been done at various circuits, I still smell a rat and everything this season has literally played into Mercedes' hands, even without our own errors. But what do I know?!

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    If the rev limit is 17k but Ferrari find a way to bypass the rev counter and run 19k then that would be against the spirit of the rules, yes it does exist and the FIA are very often having to clarify rules based on this. Ferrari seem to have bypassed the FIA way to measure boost, clearly this is not legal but they have not broken any rules just the spirit of the rules hence why the FIA have probably told us to stop it or else face a protest and risk losing race results.
    No, bypassing the lev limit is clearly against the written rules. The sporting rules are a framework in every dimension, acceleration included. You have to stay within the boundries of that framwork (lenght, width, height, output of all PU parts etc). If Ferrari have a split battery system that somehow stores more than 4Kj and can then output more than that amount per lap, even though the battery casing is deemed legal, then Ferrari have found a loophole that the rules have overlooked. It's obviously done by some software code and the split battery makes it possible. If the FIA can't prove it's against the rules even though they see, with the sensors, that the output is higher than 4Kj per lap then it has to be tried in the FIA court. Up until a trial and a ruling the accused should be treated like any innocent. You do know that all cars are still unique? F1 is not a spec series...yet.

    The Merc rear hubs are not the same as the RBR front wheels, when teams come up with these ideas they don't just make them and hope they are legal they will be in contact with the FIA and make sure they are legal. FIA only clarified because Ferrari asked, probably so we can develop the same idea. The FIA also said our battery system was legal at first, but I guess they got some more info that resulted in them realising what was really going on hence more sensors and our sudden loss of the extra boost.
    Again, I never said they are the same. I said they are similar as they have holes in the rims. The holes carry air through them and you can therefor make the case the rims become a movable aero device. The FIA don't share that view, hence the recent clarification. As for the Ferrari system, they still don't understand what's going on so they sent the idiot Whiting out to officially state the FIA can't share any info because then other teams will find out...yeah right! But once you say you have some info then you should also be able to make a clarification. Strange how that last part somehow never happens....

    It seems you will just believe that the FIA are out to help Merc for no valid reason and anything else you will just ignore so there really is not much point trying to debate it.
    You have to admit it stinks when you also ad the "special" tyres this season. In fact it was too bad, in hindsight, that Kimi knocked Lewis back to last at Silverstone. Had that not happened Lewis would have probably won even with his bad start (as he only made one stop and was still fast) and Merc would then have had a clean sweep on the "special tyres".

    Also, wouldn't it be better to have a good and fair fight for both championships until the end of the season instead of the FIA shutting it all down? Had then Ferrari won at least one title they could have opened up a case in court and try it. Better to then lose it and force a clarification regarding the system for the future than this current hypocrisy. No?

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    6,544
    Quote Originally Posted by 512 TR View Post
    No, bypassing the lev limit is clearly against the written rules. The sporting rules are a framework in every dimension, acceleration included. You have to stay within the boundries of that framwork (lenght, width, height, output of all PU parts etc). If Ferrari have a split battery system that somehow stores more than 4Kj and can then output more than that amount per lap, even though the battery casing is deemed legal, then Ferrari have found a loophole that the rules have overlooked. It's obviously done by some software code and the split battery makes it possible. If the FIA can't prove it's against the rules even though they see, with the sensors, that the output is higher than 4Kj per lap then it has to be tried in the FIA court. Up until a trial and a ruling the accused should be treated like any innocent. You do know that all cars are still unique? F1 is not a spec series...yet.
    It's not about the KW = HP, that's capped by the FIA. It's about harvesting and deployment.....meaning, Ferrari is able to harvest the batteries faster and deploy at any given time on the track whereas our rivals, MB & RB, take time to harvest and deploy whether thru out the MGU-H or MGU-K or both.
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 19th October 2018 at 19:47.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    29,003
    Quote Originally Posted by 512 TR View Post

    Again, I never said they are the same. I said they are similar as they have holes in the rims. The holes carry air through them and you can therefor make the case the rims become a movable aero device. The FIA don't share that view, hence the recent clarification. As for the Ferrari system, they still don't understand what's going on so they sent the idiot Whiting out to officially state the FIA can't share any info because then other teams will find out...yeah right! But once you say you have some info then you should also be able to make a clarification. Strange how that last part somehow never happens....
    FIA don't have to tell everyone how someones IP works, why would they? They have said the Merc rims are not the same as RBR front rims nothing more, they are not telling everyone how to do the same lol

    As I said though your view won't change so not much point as you believe we have done a perfect season no mistakes and done the best development only for the FIA to stop us winning
    Forza Ferrari

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    FIA don't have to tell everyone how someones IP works, why would they? They have said the Merc rims are not the same as RBR front rims nothing more, they are not telling everyone how to do the same lol

    As I said though your view won't change so not much point as you believe we have done a perfect season no mistakes and done the best development only for the FIA to stop us winning
    You should start reading my post better and more closely then if that's your opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by 512 TR View Post
    Ferrari can't say much either as they've made too many mistakes of their own this season. It would just look silly and pathetic blaming the FIA at this moment.
    Me on the other hand, I'm free to point fingers at anyone and any time when I feel there's something that stinks.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •