Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Brazil Interlagos GP: Race

Quote Originally Posted by WRX202 View Post
    MAD_MAX:
    Before we know it we'll be seeing Max pushing drivers off the track and against the concrete barriers soon unless he is put back in place and on the right track. It's fine to be gutsy and hunt the overtake but there are limits to what one can do when off track. The middle finger just as soon as he crashed was excusable due to andrenaline rushing and tension but the pushing aftwerwards no. His behaviour sets a precedent. Schumi was given so much slack for going after Coulthard on a much worse incident imo & Schumi had a DNF whereas Max still managed 2nd with minimal problems.

Ferrari:
    The pace was nowhere, the harder tyre strategy wasn't much of a success if you ask me. So Lewis was running with an engine that was going to blow up any minute and our guys still didn't manage to catch up or even bother him? Doesn't look promising at all

Mercs:
    They keep sealing the famous rear wheel holes for the race to avoid an official complaint but at the same time they keep bringing updated versions of the same wheel rim. This weekend they where running wider holes as seen on OmniCorse. Are we sure they were not using them for the race after their 1st pitstop? I mean how can one check if the wheels are covered in the the tyre warmers right until they are attached to the car? Mercedes did not have blistering issues on their rears rather only on one of their fronts and where very quick on the white compound after their stop...

RedBull:
    They have suddenly become a force to challenge both Ferrari and Mercs while still running their hated Renault PU, 2019 is gonna be a hard battle unless Honda keeps the tradition of blowing up ala McLaren days.
    and yes I am aware that teams are now running reduced engine power to stretch the lifespan of their PU till the end and avoiding penalties but still RB has pure speed now compared to Ferrari/Mercs.

FIA:
    Has anyone else noticed or is it my meds that are having these funny sideffects, Vettel called in for a weigh in during Q2 which is utterly ridiculous when you are so time restricted and in a potential P1 team, then given a €25K fine for "damaging" the scales (what a joke!) and a reprimand.
    Lewis nearly crashed into 2 (if not 3) drivers during his slow laps and not even an investigation.
    It's times like these that one misses SM. I'm pretty sure the FIA is doing it's utmost to weaken Ferrari so as to destroy it's bargaining power. Look at McLaren today, nowhere and you wonder why do they even bother showing up. If it happened to McLaren it can happen to Ferrari and unless this Camilleri guy start to show some muscle it will only get worse.
    Anyone read the article about Pirelli changing the tyre spec to the famous -4mm ones for all the races next year? Another Mercedes jolly?
    Valid points indeed, and someone at Ferrari needs to adopt some of Sergio Marchionne's forceful approach otherwise we will be having the same conversation in 12 months' time.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Valid points indeed, and someone at Ferrari needs to adopt some of Sergio Marchionne's forceful approach otherwise we will be having the same conversation in 12 months' time.
    I didn't even bother mentioning OCON, he deserves to have his Super License revoked with immediate effect. Many are unaware but OCON/Verstappen rivalry runs back a few years from their karting days. Once there was an episode where Ocon hit Verstappen similar to what happened yesterday ruining his race. The next race Verstappen rammed into the back of Ocon on purpose. At this point Ocon's mother went into Verstappen's box where his father was to complain. Jos Verstappen told her "you didn't come to apologise in the last race so why bother coming to complain now?".

This rivalry will not end here trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by WRX202 View Post
    I didn't even bother mentioning OCON, he deserves to have his Super License revoked with immediate effect. Many are unaware but OCON/Verstappen rivalry runs back a few years from their karting days. Once there was an episode where Ocon hit Verstappen similar to what happened yesterday ruining his race. The next race Verstappen rammed into the back of Ocon on purpose. At this point Ocon's mother went into Verstappen's box where his father was to complain. Jos Verstappen told her "you didn't come to apologise in the last race so why bother coming to complain now?".

This rivalry will not end here trust me.
    It will for next year if Ocon doesn't get a drive...

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    always we have the badluck
    Usually on race days, Seb is ominously faster than Raikkonen and Raikkonen wasn't that far behind from race winner which proves Seb would've dominated everyone else had he not suffered sensor problem. But the good thing is all these problems are happening after title fight was long gone. Imagine having these problems when Seb and Ferrari were within 10-15 points of Mercedes with only 1-2 race to go. That would be a total nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by chinmay View Post
    Imagine having these problems when Seb and Ferrari were within 10-15 points of Mercedes with only 1-2 race to go. That would be a total nightmare.
    We would have been if Seb never made mistake after mistake, that is the total nightmare......
    Forza Ferrari

Vettel had ‘no problems’ with Brazil team order

Sebastian Vettel had 'no problems' with Brazil team order
    Sebastian Vettel says Sunday’s team order to let Kimi Raikkonen through at the Brazilian GP was “pretty straightforward” as the Finn had fresher tyres.

Ferrari started Sunday’s race at the Interlagos circuit on the soft tyres with title rivals Mercedes predicting they would be the team to beat.

They weren’t.

The Scuderia team-mates struggled to get their soft tyres up to speed, losing ground to run fourth and fifth in the opening stint.

Swapping their soft tyres for mediums, Vettel was the first of the two to pit before Raikkonen stopped four laps later.

Shortly after Ferrari called on Vettel to let Raikkonen through as the Finn had fresher tyres and better pace.

He was able to hunt down Valtteri Bottas to finish third. Vettel was a distant P6.

“It’s pretty straightforward,” the German said of the team orders.

“Kimi came out of the pits with a fresher set of tyres and I had a couple of laps to try and get something done with Valtteri – when it didn’t work, the team asked me to let him have a go so no problems with that.

“I like Kimi and I was happy to let him get a shot and he made it [to the podium] so I’m happy for him.”

Asked to rate his race out of 10, the four-time World Champion gave his Sunday afternoon the lowest score possible.

“I tried everything but obviously in terms of the result, I would rate it as one out of ten, and that’s with one being bad,” he said.

“I don’t think we were on top of the car, the tyres. I don’t think it was an advantage to start on the soft compound tyre, because the supersoft lasted a longer time – longer than I think we all expected. But that’s how it is.

He doesn't mention anything about the sensor, might this just have been a story from Ferrari to justify a bad day at the office from Seb?

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    We would have been if Seb never made mistake after mistake, that is the total nightmare......
    i tend to agree with you on you comment
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Ferrari fans must indeed thank Seb for allowing team orders; where Kimi was allowed to come in 3rd with another podium. What a guy! Meanwhile both Seb and Leclerc are finishing in the top 10! There's hope indeed for 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    Vettel had ‘no problems’ with Brazil team order

Sebastian Vettel had 'no problems' with Brazil team order
    Sebastian Vettel says Sunday’s team order to let Kimi Raikkonen through at the Brazilian GP was “pretty straightforward” as the Finn had fresher tyres.

Ferrari started Sunday’s race at the Interlagos circuit on the soft tyres with title rivals Mercedes predicting they would be the team to beat.

They weren’t.

The Scuderia team-mates struggled to get their soft tyres up to speed, losing ground to run fourth and fifth in the opening stint.

Swapping their soft tyres for mediums, Vettel was the first of the two to pit before Raikkonen stopped four laps later.

Shortly after Ferrari called on Vettel to let Raikkonen through as the Finn had fresher tyres and better pace.

He was able to hunt down Valtteri Bottas to finish third. Vettel was a distant P6.

“It’s pretty straightforward,” the German said of the team orders.

“Kimi came out of the pits with a fresher set of tyres and I had a couple of laps to try and get something done with Valtteri – when it didn’t work, the team asked me to let him have a go so no problems with that.

“I like Kimi and I was happy to let him get a shot and he made it [to the podium] so I’m happy for him.”

Asked to rate his race out of 10, the four-time World Champion gave his Sunday afternoon the lowest score possible.

“I tried everything but obviously in terms of the result, I would rate it as one out of ten, and that’s with one being bad,” he said.

“I don’t think we were on top of the car, the tyres. I don’t think it was an advantage to start on the soft compound tyre, because the supersoft lasted a longer time – longer than I think we all expected. But that’s how it is.

He doesn't mention anything about the sensor, might this just have been a story from Ferrari to justify a bad day at the office from Seb?
    It wouldn’t be a bad day at the the office it would have to be a very strange day at the office, never seen him so off the pace specially when comparing him to kimi who is the reference point, he has won at this track more times than anyone on the grid so there was definitely something going on, at one point Adami asked him if he could go any faster and he said he was trying everything he could like if he was compromised.

Quote Originally Posted by T99 View Post
    It wouldn’t be a bad day at the the office it would have to be a very strange day at the office, never seen him so off the pace specially when comparing him to kimi who is the reference point, he has won at this track more times than anyone on the grid so there was definitely something going on, at one point Adami asked him if he could go any faster and he said he was trying everything he could like if he was compromised.
    Sebs car had a sensor issue gone "haywire" during the formation lap. During the race, he was going thru different modes, due to the sensor going haywire, just to stay up. MA and pit crew engineers saw this during the race and made the call to switch both drivers since Kimi's car had no issues so the switch was obvious and the right call.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Could be, can't remember even hearing any team radio about it.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by DelMar View Post
    Merc even using its second teams to cheat. What Ocon did was stupid....
    MERC WC LH WC...... with a little help... from my friends.....and the FIA....
    5 years of painful F1.

It would be easy for sun and moon to swap positions than Seb to have a bad day pace wise. Throughout his career, Seb has had great days and bad days (mistakes, bad luck) but pace wise, he was always supreme. Never had an off weekend pace wise in his whole career without any sort of problem on car.

2014 was one off season

It would be easy for sun and moon to swap positions than Seb to have a bad day pace wise. Throughout his career, Seb has had great days and bad days (mistakes, bad luck) but pace wise, he was always supreme. Never had an off weekend pace wise in his whole career without any sort of problem on car.
    Forza Ferrari

I didn't know we have a God in our team for which a bad day at the office is harder to happen than "sun and the moon to swap positions". Of course Seb is untouchable by understeer/oversteer or not getting the tires to work, or just lacking some pace. Good to see we have such a man, I didn't notice it by now...

Who cares anyway? At this point, both championships are done. Get over it and look toward 2019 already. I just hope Sebastian Vettel hasn't forgotten how to drive like so many members here seem to believe.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    Who cares anyway? At this point, both championships are done. Get over it and look toward 2019 already. I just hope Sebastian Vettel hasn't forgotten how to drive like so many members here seem to believe.
    There are no new news about 2019, so there is no point in talking about it yet. We have plenty of time to talk about next season in that 2-3 months break

There are no new news about 2019, so there is no point in talking about it yet. We have plenty of time to talk about next season in that 2-3 months break
    I understand that. However, I would rather not talk about anything than continue to beat the 2018 horse to death. No pun intended.

Disappointed Since 2010

This was a good learning year for everyone at year. Next year and finally be it and the first and foremost thing they need to work is that the car should be ready from qualifying 1 and race 1. It shouldn't start like this year where Mercedes was light years faster in both qualifying and race and took some rare luck to turn defeat into victory.

A combination of qualifying car of 2018 + race car of 2017 is required to beat Mercedes in 2019. And the most important thing, car should work in wet. Last best Ferrari car in wet was 2015, some fantastic wet performances that year.

This was a good learning year for everyone at year. Next year and finally be it and the first and foremost thing they need to work is that the car should be ready from qualifying 1 and race 1. It shouldn't start like this year where Mercedes was light years faster in both qualifying and race and took some rare luck to turn defeat into victory.

A combination of qualifying car of 2018 + race car of 2017 is required to beat Mercedes in 2019. And the most important thing, car should work in wet. Last best Ferrari car in wet was 2015, some fantastic wet performances that year.
    Ah yeah it's the cars fault, let's forget all the points Vettel gave away.
    Forza Ferrari

Ah yeah it's the cars fault, let's forget all the points Vettel gave away.
    This is the first year at Ferrari where he had the car to win it. No DNF's from it compared to Hamilton's one, overall pace similar to that of the Mercedes except for wet conditions.

This is the first year at Ferrari where he had the car to win it. No DNF's from it compared to Hamilton's one, overall pace similar to that of the Mercedes except for wet conditions.
    have go agree; if it weren't for Seb's numerous mistakes he did this year, i'm pretty sure the WDC fight would have gone down to the wire and into the last race.....HE is hte only person to blame this year....surely Ferrari as a team has made some mistakes and wrong calls, but mostly i blame SEB this season

i hope he's gonna get it together for next season IF ferrari are to challenge Mercedes once again, possibly from the get go....OH, and we should NOT underestimate red bull with teh new and improved Honda power unit along with the genius aero designer Newey....
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Arguably, last year, Ferrari had a car that could win it too.

Regarding this year, why do you think Ferrari's problems in the wet are car & not driver related?

Quote Originally Posted by ROCHEY View Post
    Arguably, last year, Ferrari had a car that could win it too.

Regarding this year, why do you think Ferrari's problems in the wet are car & not driver related?
    becasue KIMI was nowhere in the wet either, was it quali or race....they were both mediocre

and also red bull car this year was also nowhere in the wet, compared to other years....and as we seen red bull in hte dry is a force to be reconed with....

The car wasn't the reason Vettel was so far back from Hamilton this year.... Vettel is the reason Vettel was so far back....
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    becasue KIMI was nowhere in the wet either, was it quali or race....they were both mediocre

I don't quite agree. There have been times when Raik has been very at ease in the wet. Hungary for instance. Raik was the quickest man on track, on his used set of wet tyres in Q3. But for being sent out in traffic/spray on his final run, Raik felt he had good enough pace to challenge for pole. He said the car worked well in the wet. This is what he said

"Overall this weekend the car has been really good in any conditions. In qualifying it was a bit tricky, but I enjoyed driving it a lot. The speed was there and the car was working well in wet conditions. Today we were more competitive in the rain than we had been in other places; it was nice, I was pleased because this hadn’t been our strongest point lately. In Q3 with used tyres we were fastest of all, but with the new set we were a bit unlucky with the traffic; we got stuck a bit behind another car and with all the spray we could not have a clear lap. There was nothing we could do, as we were limited on time. It’s a pity because there was a lot of grip on the new tyres: I’m sure we had the speed and everything else to get the first place, but we have to be positively happy that now we can actually challenge for the front in wet conditions.”

Yet Vettel struggled in Hungary. I can't see how that was down to the car & not the driver.

F- Pirelli was supposed to supply at least 8 or 10 more colors to go with the rain. Una bella "Arcobaleno"

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Hamilton’s engine was ‘one lap away from failure’

Lewis Hamilton’s power unit was “just about to break” at one stage during the Brazilian Grand Prix, Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff gas revealed.

Hamilton complained several times about problems with his power unit on his radio during the race. Wolff credited the Mercedes High Performance Powertrains for finding a way to keep it running.

“We had such a horrible race today with the perfect end result with Lewis winning and us winning the constructors championship,” said Wolff.

“But I can tell you mid-race we got the information: ‘power unit failure imminent on Lewis’s car’. And the guys in the background, the HPP guys fixed it.

“God knows how you can fix hardware that is just about to break and make the car finish. So that race was just a nightmare until obviously the checkered flag came down and everything broke loose.”

Wolff described the moment he heard on the team’s radio the power unit was one lap away from failure.

“What I could hear – because I’m having about 10 channels open – on one of the meeting channels was ‘Lewis Hamilton power unit failure imminent – it’s gonna fail within the next lap.’ And I said ‘excuse me, what?’

“And they said we have a massive problem on the power unit and it’s going to fail next lap. It didn’t fail next lap, and I said when you guys have a minute, let them work, [then] tell me what what’s happening.

“They said ‘well, our exhaust is just about to fail’ and we’re over-shooting all the temperature limits as to what’s to fix and so they started to fix it turning the whole thing down. And then the stages temperatures went down to below a thousand, 980, but it’s still too high. And then he recovered another lap. That was truly horrible.”

https://www.racefans.net/2018/11/11/...-from-failure/

Further reports of Lewis "damaging" his engine which looks like he'll take on a new one at Abu Dhabi(grid penalties)......not that it makes any difference now but they could test the new 2019 engine IF one is avaliable which is what I would do at this point in the 2018 season if I was Mercedes.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Add up the cost of all of Seb's mistakes and they don't count for close to the 81 points he would need just to tie Hamilton with one race left. He, like his car and his team, all had flashes of brilliance this season. Lets hope all three are firing on all cylinders in 2019.

Also, a better argument would be that he is the reason we lost the Constructor's this year...

Disappointed Since 2010