View Poll Results: Would you rather...

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • spend your career racing for Ferrari and never win a championship.

19 46.34%
  • be a one-time world champion, but never have raced for Ferrari like Jenson Button and Nico Rosberg.

22 53.66%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you rather...

"If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

No mention of a championship...

Disappointed Since 2010

Here's three wishes: To Eat, Drink, and be Merry, no mention of Longevity as a goal. It's in there; just like wanting a F-1 championship in a Ferrari. It goes without saying! Ok, maybe Rubens may have been the exception once he realized he drove for team Shumy, not Ferrari. Three wishes out of 4 , not bad to go into retirement with.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Here's three wishes: To Eat, Drink, and be Merry, no mention of Longevity as a goal. It's in there; just like wanting a F-1 championship in a Ferrari. It goes without saying! Ok, maybe Rubens may have been the exception once he realized he drove for team Shumy, not Ferrari. Three wishes out of 4 , not bad to go into retirement with.
    Did you just compare Rubens to Gilles?

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    Did you just compare Rubens to Gilles?
    Impossible to compare, Gilles drove for team Ferrari, Rubens drove for team Shumy. Gilles didn't have his radio tuned to that midget bum Todt every race. What I said was Rubens shared the same three wishes. Did you compare Rubens to Gilles? Just think about it; That bum now with FIA power, no Shumy, no Ferrari. He's a Merc boy. Maybe because his former boss retired from there?

Does anyone really rate rosberg or Button as a massive talent or simply as decent drivers that were in the right place at the right time? I think I would rather drive for Ferrari and come close to winning than luck into a WDC and then fade into obscurity. Once you drive for Ferrari, then you are remembered and revered for the most part if you perform.
    For Brembo - every driver goes into a new season as an equal - it's performance that decides #1 and #2's. Sure Kimi finishes on the podium here and there, but still never challenges for the title. Leclerc goes into 2019 on zero points just like Seb. If after half the races he's well ahead, I'm pretty sure we'll know who will be playing #1 or #2.
    I'm hoping both our drivers are very close, looking forward to an exciting season.

Starting with the seasons first quali. first race, Ferrari will have Seb #1 driver. Unless Leclerc is allowed to pass Seb when and if he sees fit from the first race it's going to be real tough for him to show what he has as far as the team leader goes. Kimi here and there got a podium, why? Seb got lost in the race due to mistakes , so Ferrari got lucky their #2 didn't also follow the leader! Is there really any true Ferrari fan that believes there's no #1 $2 driver starting with the 1st race? It's ingrained in the red !! WCC is what count. I hope that's what Ferrari will win regardless of
    " Who's on 1st! "

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    I think I would rather drive for Ferrari and come close to winning than luck into a WDC and then fade into obscurity. Once you drive for Ferrari, then you are remembered and revered for the most part if you perform.
    I'm hoping both our drivers are very close, looking forward to an exciting season.
    Me too on both counts.
    I think Button lucked into his WDC in 2009 because the Brawn car was in a class of its own and in the 2nd part of the season Seb nearly took it off him as the RB car began to show it was a contender.
    As for Rosberg I rate him higher. He wasn't "allowed " to take on Lewis in 2015 but in 2016 he got the job done. Toto and Lauda had trouble keeping the peace with those two and I think Rosberg couldn't be bothered any more. As a viewer I miss that battle and the internal rumblings at Merc.

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by racingbradley View Post
    Me too on both counts.
    I think Button lucked into his WDC in 2009 because the Brawn car was in a class of its own and in the 2nd part of the season Seb nearly took it off him as the RB car began to show it was a contender.
    As for Rosberg I rate him higher. He wasn't "allowed " to take on Lewis in 2015 but in 2016 he got the job done. Toto and Lauda had trouble keeping the peace with those two and I think Rosberg couldn't be bothered any more. As a viewer I miss that battle and the internal rumblings at Merc.
    Based on what? What evidence is there Rosberg was subjugated in 2015?

And your logic as to why you rate Rosberg's championsip over Button's makes no sense. You say Button "lucked" into his 2009 WDC because the Brawn car was in a class of its own. Yet Rosberg's car was even more dominant than Button's. And Button had to fight his own teammate & the RBs during the course of the 2009 season. Rosberg only had his teammate to beat, and that teammate had one hand tied behind his back due to engine issues.

Overall,Button had a less dominant car and more competition than Rosberg.

I don't think any driver, "lucks" into a championship. It takes hardwork & dedication.
    Last edited by ROCHEY; 14th December 2018 at 10:57.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCHEY View Post

Overall,Button had a less dominant car and more competition than Rosberg.

I don't think any driver, "lucks" into a championship. It takes hardwork & dedication.
    I'm sure Rubens would love to hear you say he was more competition to Button in 2009 than Hamilton was to Rosberg in 2015.

We all know the Brawn car was dominant with its double diffuser which no one else had thought of. The RB began to catch up in the second half of the year meanwhile Button was on a plateau with a series of lack lustre races. The team grew worried that he was going to throw the championship away to Seb who was catching him.

As for my statement on 2015 Rosberg & Lewis had a coming together I think it was in Austria. There was quite a hoo ha about it.............the pundits blamed Hamilton but when Toto and Lauda got together they deemed Nico guilty. Toto was quoted afterwards that the sanctions were decided "Nico knows what he has to do" It was clear that the fight had gone out of Rosberg for the remainder of the season.........enough said!!!!!!! But he came back dominant in 2016 and got the job done.

Forza Jules

I'm sure Rubens would love to hear you say he was more competition to Button in 2009 than Hamilton was to Rosberg in 2015.

We all know the Brawn car was dominant with its double diffuser which no one else had thought of. The RB began to catch up in the second half of the year meanwhile Button was on a plateau with a series of lack lustre races. The team grew worried that he was going to throw the championship away to Seb who was catching him.

As for my statement on 2015 Rosberg & Lewis had a coming together I think it was in Austria. There was quite a hoo ha about it.............the pundits blamed Hamilton but when Toto and Lauda got together they deemed Nico guilty. Toto was quoted afterwards that the sanctions were decided "Nico knows what he has to do" It was clear that the fight had gone out of Rosberg for the remainder of the season.........enough said!!!!!!! But he came back dominant in 2016 and got the job done.
    As already stated in my original comment, Button had to fight his teammate PLUS the RB team. Rosberg had less overall competition in that he didn't regularly fight another team. Rosberg's W07 was far more dominant than Button's Brawn. So i still fail to see why Button is seen as "lucking" into his championship, yet Rosberg, in a far more dominant car, with less outside opposition, and a teammate impeded by engine issues, is seen as more worthy?

As far as i recall, nothing untoward happend between Rosberg & Hamilton in Austria 2015. So, other than conjector, on what basis was Rosberg not allowed to compete in 2015?

As already stated in my original comment, Button had to fight his teammate PLUS the RB team. Rosberg had less overall competition in that he didn't regularly fight another team. Rosberg's W07 was far more dominant than Button's Brawn. So i still fail to see why Button is seen as "lucking" into his championship, yet Rosberg, in a far more dominant car, with less outside opposition, and a teammate impeded by engine issues, is seen as more worthy?

As far as i recall, nothing untoward happend between Rosberg & Hamilton in Austria 2015. So, other than conjector, on what basis was Rosberg not allowed to compete in 2015?
    Maybe you and I should agree to disagree in the interests of everyone else's sanity.
    You will have your opinion & I will have mine.
    Button and his car were in a class of their own until Turkey then the other teams began to find an answer to the double diffuser but none of them were dominant. Jenson was lucky since he had a very lack lustre second half to the season. RB were emerging as a team to watch just that!!!!

I think you will find that Lewis was strong in the 2016 season (maybe not at the beginning) winning 10 races to Rosberg's 9 and was beaten by 5 points in total. Both RB boys were in the chase.
    In conclusion I would say that Rosberg was more severely challenged than Button.

Forza Jules

There are several drivers who raced for Ferrari and never won a championship in our cars (Gilles/Jean Alesi/Alboreto/Fernando to name a few) but they have gone on to become heroes in our team, a championship isn't everything but it certainly makes us even more passionate when we are fighting for it. I agree with racingbradley that Button has a fairly easy time of it at Brawn but Rubens had a better second half of the season. Rosberg certainly had a real challenge against Hamilton in 2016, and he won. Thank goodness for small mercies!
    Last edited by wisepie; 22nd December 2018 at 16:33.

Maybe you and I should agree to disagree in the interests of everyone else's sanity.
    You will have your opinion & I will have mine.
    Button and his car were in a class of their own until Turkey then the other teams began to find an answer to the double diffuser but none of them were dominant. Jenson was lucky since he had a very lack lustre second half to the season. RB were emerging as a team to watch just that!!!!

I think you will find that Lewis was strong in the 2016 season (maybe not at the beginning) winning 10 races to Rosberg's 9 and was beaten by 5 points in total. Both RB boys were in the chase.
    In conclusion I would say that Rosberg was more severely challenged than Button.

Sorry, but in 2016, the RB boys were not in the mix (not consistently). The Merc car of 2016 was too dominant for that. All Rosberg had to do was beat his teammate. And he barely did that, considering Hamilton had to overcome numerous reliability issues. So, i still fail to see how Button, having to contend with his own teammate, and a strong RB challenge, in a far less dominant car than the W07, is seen a "lucking" into his championship. Although i think no driver ever lucks into a championship (it requires hardwork, dedication etc), one could easily stoop to the same level and accuse Rosberg of "lucking" into his WDC by virtue of having a vastly dominant car with his only competitor (Hamilton) being hamstrung by reliability issues.

Sorry, but in 2016, the RB boys were not in the mix (not consistently). The Merc car of 2016 was too dominant for that. All Rosberg had to do was beat his teammate. And he barely did that, considering Hamilton had to overcome numerous reliability issues. So, i still fail to see how Button, having to contend with his own teammate, and a strong RB challenge, in a far less dominant car than the W07, is seen a "lucking" into his championship. Although i think no driver ever lucks into a championship (it requires hardwork, dedication etc), one could easily stoop to the same level and accuse Rosberg of "lucking" into his WDC by virtue of having a vastly dominant car with his only competitor (Hamilton) being hamstrung by reliability issues.
    My goodness were you around in 2009? Dominant car well the Brawn at that time was an extraordinarily dominant car. No other team had an answer for the double diffuser which Brawn installed in their car instead of KERS. Up until Turkey Button sailed to the line well ahead of the field.
    Then Button ran out of steam and Ross Brawn became worried he was going to throw it all away.
    Granted in 2016 Lewis had problems in the first few races but they were soon sorted. What you find hard to deal with is that Rosberg got the measure of him. I do agree that the Merc of 2016 was a fast car and RB were only there to pick up the crumbs when the Mercs had problems.
    As I have mentioned previously shall we agree to disagree? You are clearly a Merc/Macca fan.
    I am a proud Ferrari fan so my comments on the drivers here are objective since I am not a fan of any of them.

Forza Jules

Clair is in F-1 for the money, and she is an expert at what she does. She let Bottas go to Merc for big money; knowing Nico hated being #2 to Lewis. Nico was gifted the WDC by Merc to leave in peace. Undoing Lewis car was enough to make it look like Nico just beat out Lewis. Bottas for sure is cool Baku DNF was baaad.
    Last edited by Brembo; 20th December 2018 at 08:22.

My goodness were you around in 2009? Dominant car well the Brawn at that time was an extraordinarily dominant car. No other team had an answer for the double diffuser which Brawn installed in their car instead of KERS. Up until Turkey Button sailed to the line well ahead of the field.
    Then Button ran out of steam and Ross Brawn became worried he was going to throw it all away.
    Granted in 2016 Lewis had problems in the first few races but they were soon sorted. What you find hard to deal with is that Rosberg got the measure of him. I do agree that the Merc of 2016 was a fast car and RB were only there to pick up the crumbs when the Mercs had problems.
    As I have mentioned previously shall we agree to disagree? You are clearly a Merc/Macca fan.
    I am a proud Ferrari fan so my comments on the drivers here are objective since I am not a fan of any of them.
    Button didn't run out of steam. The team ran out of hondas money that was given to them at the start. Hence why the car platued mid season.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Button didn't run out of steam. The team ran out of hondas money that was given to them at the start. Hence why the car platued mid season.
    All very feasible Rob but for two points
    Rubens was winning races in the 2nd half of the season.
    And Ross Brawn's body language also his facial expressions...….impression I got was he expected more!!!!!!!
    Just the impression of an interested F1 observer not those of an expert.

Forza Jules