Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 920212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1219

Thread: 2019 F1 news/rumours

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Mario Isola Merc's savior, and Pirelli boss claims it's impossible to improve tires without an extra test which is next to impossible to get this year. So much for any help for Ferrari and the rest tire wise. Merc got it made for sure. They don't even try to hide it! Meanwhile let's just pray for the straightaways to get Charles the wins !
    Nailed it, mio amico.

Disappointed Since 2010

Calm down guys, those tests are all planned ahead. Ferrari had two of them, one with slicks and one with wet tyres. https://www.racefans.net/2019/02/21/...ting-schedule/

Quote Originally Posted by springfield View Post
    Calm down guys, those tests are all planned ahead. Ferrari had two of them, one with slicks and one with wet tyres. https://www.racefans.net/2019/02/21/...ting-schedule/
    Fair enough. I would like to think they aren't playing favorites, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mercedes is getting data Ferrari isn't.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    Fair enough. I would like to think they aren't playing favorites, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mercedes is getting data Ferrari isn't.
    Yes, we tested too as well as Renault for the 18” tires. Yet I have no doubt in my mind that Mercedes is being dealt exclusive information from Pirelli. The way they manage those mediums and come alive on race-pace is unbelievable, to good to be true. Trust me when I say Merc has a handle on the tire specs for next season...
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Merc handles them well, but lets not forget that we handled our tires better in 2017 and 2018 (quali only). In general, they have tons of DF and great suspension and I think thats the difference.

It's Pirelli's boss saying they need more tests than available, and that's the problem. Were Ferrari's two tests enough ?

Montoya: Vettel F1 2019 issues more likely technical than mentality

Sebastian Vettel's troubles this year are more likely to be a "technical" problem than an issue with the four-time Formula 1 world champion's mentality, reckons Juan Pablo Montoya.

Vettel is on a barren streak in F1 and is without a win since the 2018 Belgian Grand Prix, while his new Ferrari team-mate Charles Leclerc has now won back-to-back races in Belgium and Italy.

Leclerc's victory in Ferrari's home race triggered raucous celebrations at Monza, where Vettel spun out of fourth early on and edged himself close to a race ban for rejoining the track in a "dangerous" way.

The mistake was the latest in a run of errors from Vettel stretching back to his crash from the lead of the 2018 German GP, but seven-time F1 race winner Montoya believes the blame may not lie with Vettel.

"I think he doesn't like something in the car or this year's tyres and Leclerc is able to better adapt," Montoya told Autosport.

"Vettel has to suffer to go as quick as the other guy. Because he has to suffer and he is not comfortable, he makes mistakes.

"When you're not happy with the car and you push, mistakes happen.

"I don't think it's a mental thing. It is more a technical one.

"It's about understanding, having someone on your side who's able to find what's going on."

Leclerc has generally found Ferrari's SF90 more compliant, whereas Vettel has often complained this year of not having the right balance in his car.

Montoya compared the situation with his two-year spell with McLaren in 2005 and '06, when different driving characteristics even led the team to develop a different front suspension for his car in order to better suit his style.

He said he "had to change they way I braked the car and it started doing very different things to what I was used to", and suspects it might be more effective for something fundamental to change on the car than for Vettel to attempt to adapt around his issues.

"Changing they way you drive is very complicated," said Montoya.

"If you change the way you drive the car you can still be quick, but probably not as quick as you used to be.

"He will have to adapt to a certain extent, but learning to be quick in a different way is very difficult.

"It's better to adapt the car to your driving than your style to someone else's."

VETTEL'S RECENT WOES
    'Dangerous' Vettel one major incident from ban
    Why Ferrari dream is as good as over for Vettel
    Vettel has a contract with Ferrari that runs to the end of 2020 but his struggles have led to speculation he could try to end that stint early.

However, Montoya believes Vettel can still recover, "if he wants to".

"He's going to have to get his head down with the team and work harder than he ever has," said Montoya.

"The only way is working harder, doing something different to what he's doing now.

"He must be used to working in a certain way, but right now it's not working out for him."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...-not-mentality

Reminds me of Kimi at the end(s). Just doesn’t seem to have his heart in it, TBH.
    Hope to be proven wrong

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

He has his heart in it. He wants to beat his team mate, like Kimi did, but he cant. Thats why Kimi fought in Monza and Monaco, he just couldnt get Seb more frequently. Charles can...

Quote Originally Posted by darkchild View Post
    He has his heart in it. He wants to beat his team mate, like Kimi did, but he cant. Thats why Kimi fought in Monza and Monaco, he just couldnt get Seb more frequently. Charles can...
    I’m beginning to think that you are right, fratello

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/p...range/4543550/

So Pirelli moved Mercs secret tire tests indoors now so now one would find out? LOL. Sarcastic obviously, but I wouldn’t put it past Merc-Pirelli. lol
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

F1 is still discussing three possible qualifying races for 2020. The teams are generally in favour of this idea. There are four tracks to choose from. Monza is one of them. But Ferrari has something against that. Ferrari wants a normal quali in Monza!

via #AMuS

With Ferrari's veto, it wouldn't happen at Monza.

I'd be curious which three though.

Baku, Spa and Suzuka?

Personally, I'd rather see a one-lap session for Q3 to avoid stacking up. Or, there's a separate qualifying session held on Saturday morning giving 3-2-1 championship points and an official pole in the stats for the winner if qualifying races are what's going to happen for the future.
    Last edited by Tifoso Svedese; 21st September 2019 at 21:09.

Symonds denies 2021 cars to be 6 seconds slower
    http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi...econds_slower/

The FIA's Pat Symonds denies that.

"It will certainly be less than that," he said.
    Still meaning they will be slower than the last years cars, but maybe not 6 seconds.

However, it is rumoured that Sergey Sirotkin was three seconds off the normal pace with Pirelli's 18-inch tyres at the recent Paul Ricard test with Renault.
    Probably more in tune with what they will end up with when they maximize the performance but once the PU/engine is dumbed down, heavier cars overall and even lesser aero then everything might offset at three seconds. WEC will then be faster than F1 in 2021. F1 will not be the pinnacle of racing anymore. We should saviour F1 this season and the next because it's an end of an era.

Also, I'm clearly more in favour of teams sharing some of their designs with other teams (like a pool) rather than the same standard parts for everyone. But anyway, you can't get away from the fact that F1 won't be the pinnacle of racing.

Pretty sure WEC was over 10 seconds slower than F1 at Silverstone, so not sure how you say they will now be quicker?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Pretty sure WEC was over 10 seconds slower than F1 at Silverstone, so not sure how you say they will now be quicker?
    Toyotas fastest race lap was 1:37 something and Lewis had his fastest lap at 1:27 something.
    Last edited by Rob; 22nd September 2019 at 16:02.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

To be honest I think the pinnacle of racing is when drivers have to work really hard for their laptime, it increases differences between the would-be stars and the others. IndyCar runs at 1998 F1 laptimes if you look at a straight comparison of their times around Austin, and I think that's when F1 was at its very best. I doubt F1 will ever move to be 10 seconds slower than today through a complete absence of downforce, but I'd love to see it. So long as the straightline speed is there it's still F1. The 2013 cars were rather farcial, no top speed and a ton of downforce, topping out at like 307 kph at the end of Hangar Straight. At least these cars have the top speed.

The 2001 cars and their laptimes could be a good reference. The pole in Melbourne that year was 1.26, this year 1.20, in 1998 1.30. Having the latter might be too much for people to accept, but I fail to see the problem of a 1.26 poletime at Melbourne again.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    I was thinking about the Porsche's 919 Hybrid LMP1 (modified, yes, but still) lap record around Spa in early 2018 with a 1.41.770. It was over half a second quicker than Lewis' pole in 2017. But then Seb beat that in Q2 last year with 1.41.501. This year the cars were roughly a second slower but on different compounds to last year, so it offsets (thereabout). The thing is F1 cars will never come close to these times in 2021 on 18 inch rims because of the limited sidewalls so WEC might get that record back.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/p...range/4543550/

So Pirelli moved Mercs secret tire tests indoors now so now one would find out? LOL. Sarcastic obviously, but I wouldn’t put it past Merc-Pirelli. lol
    Teams can make an official request in order to get information about this. Secrecy of this sort usually is not a good thing.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Mercedes: After Toto Wolff's alarm, found a dozen more horses on the engine.

The 2019 power unit is the result of a new project and at the beginning of the development work on the new engine the results were not too exciting. Now it seems that the engineers led by Andy Cowell have found a dozen more horses on the 6-cylinder world champion.

Mercedes: dopo l'allarme di Toto Wolff, trovata una dozzina di cavalli in più sul motore
    Ya that's bull. You can't magically find 12 hp without some sort of intervention to the engine, that would mean a new version of the engine. That's just bad journalism.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso Svedese View Post
    To be honest I think the pinnacle of racing is when drivers have to work really hard for their laptime, it increases differences between the would-be stars and the others. IndyCar runs at 1998 F1 laptimes if you look at a straight comparison of their times around Austin, and I think that's when F1 was at its very best. I doubt F1 will ever move to be 10 seconds slower than today through a complete absence of downforce, but I'd love to see it. So long as the straightline speed is there it's still F1. The 2013 cars were rather farcial, no top speed and a ton of downforce, topping out at like 307 kph at the end of Hangar Straight. At least these cars have the top speed.

The 2001 cars and their laptimes could be a good reference. The pole in Melbourne that year was 1.26, this year 1.20, in 1998 1.30. Having the latter might be too much for people to accept, but I fail to see the problem of a 1.26 poletime at Melbourne again.
    I would pretty much agree, only as a key point of reference I'd go to 2004 cars (maybe I am tad biased, I know... :D )

Ferrari to build new F1 simulator
    Andrew Maitland
    September 26, 2019

Ferrari has decided to build a brand new F1 simulator at Maranello.

Because it resembles the eight-legged arachnid, Ferrari’s current EUR 5 million simulator – powered by ten interlinked computers – is nicknamed ‘The Spider’.

But after a decade, the simulator is soon to be retired, according to Spain’s Marca.

The apparent reason for that is the forthcoming $175 million annual budget caps, set to debut in 2021.

Ferrari reportedly wants to build a new multimillion dollar simulator before the expenditure will count towards its capped budget.

https://grandpx.news/ferrari-to-build-new-f1-simulator/
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Surely the $175 million do not count towards salaries? Only technical development. Top teams still need the ability to have the best personel, after all. Otherwise watch tricks like Shell and Philip Morris officially paying our drivers' salaries becoming a point of controversy even though Toto would 110 % do the same, the arch-hypocrite.

There will be an additional tyre test (2020 tyres) in October in Barcelona. Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull will drive one day each.

Ferrari confirms that it will be Vettel for them.

Mclaren to return to Mercedes engines in 2021:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...-again-in-2021

That's good news for them, not so good for us I suppose. With Mercedes engines and Norris on board they have all the ingredients to become again a top team and challenge for championships.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    Mclaren to return to Mercedes engines in 2021:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...-again-in-2021

That's good news for them, not so good for us I suppose. With Mercedes engines and Norris on board they have all the ingredients to become again a top team and challenge for championships.
    How can you expect McLaren-Mercedes to challenge for championship which is a customer team when mercs is around the corner ???
    They might be competitive but not for championships

Amazing how Mc Laren went from Honda to Renault and R Bull took on Honda. R Bull for sure has no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    How can you expect McLaren-Mercedes to challenge for championship which is a customer team when mercs is around the corner ???
    They might be competitive but not for championships
    Based on their past success. Even with Merc team around it won't stop them from building a better chassis some time in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    Based on their past success. Even with Merc team around it won't stop them from building a better chassis some time in the future.
    yes. Entirely possible. No reason to think the customer team wont beat the works team.
    Silently, like a shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Amazing how Mc Laren went from Honda to Renault and R Bull took on Honda. R Bull for sure has no complaints.
    They played it smart. They let Mclaren struggle with Honda finding their feet, and Mclaren were stupid to cut their ties with Honda IMO. That engine was bound to come good soon. Even if it took 3-4 years.
    Silently, like a shadow