Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Binotto to replace Arrivabene as Ferrari F1 team boss

I don't know about this move but time will tell.
    I liked Arrivabene loved his passion but there is always a scapegoat or two when the team has under performed......this time he was it!!!!
    I just hope that Binotto is as good as everyone says he is.....i.e. his management skills. Clearly on the technical side he's ace and I'm sure he will have imparted that knowledge to his understudy!
    Forza Ferrari: -D

Forza Jules

Yeah Binotto now has a massive job, according to the Ferrari announcement all technical areas will continue to report directly to Mattia. It's a massive job but i have faith in him of course.

[Autobild] The new Ferrari technical director will be ex-FIA man Laurent Mekies, who has been with Ferrari since autumn and has been signed by Binotto
    It's not how start but how you finish.

If the change doesn't work there's always 2020.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    Vettel fanboy excuses rather than Arrivabene mistakes, I say. Although Seb was stuck behind Kimi some laps, he got through safely an was on his way, to what many considered an easy win, when he missed the braking point and went into the wall while being all alone. As for Italy qualy, Seb was behing Lewis and should have managed to get the tow from his rival, an ideal position in my opinion. He lost Hamilton and lost the tow. During the race, Ferrari would have swapped, but Vettel lost a place in turn 2 and lost the race in turn 3. Can't be a world champ with so many silly mistakes. You can blame Ferrari for those 3-4 races in the 2nd part of the season when they were nowhere performance wise, maybe the not so great in the wet and being the most likely to get damaged/spin when contact is made. As for a driver if someone was to blame Ferrari it should have been Kimi with those 4 DNFs all car related, not Seb with 0 car related. I have trust that Seb will come back stronger next year and win it, but he has to be realistic and accept what happened this year if he is to grow mentally.
    Not at all a vettel fanboy, I was just giving my opinion, and I think being stuck for 10 laps, it wasn’t a few laps it was 10 laps and a lot of time lost that he was trying to make up for, was silly and didn’t help Seb race, obviously he should have done better later in the race, but it was stupid and unnecessary. He lost Hamilton in Italy because the mercedes guys are not stupid and they made sure of that when they came out of the pits, Seb was even stuck behind a force India I think and had to pass him, if it was his team mate he wouldn’t have lost the tow.If it was kimi in the better position for the title I would be saying the same thing, there’s no room for an emotional management of the drivers like M.A had in a tight fight like this, and I hope next year Binotto is ruthless in this kind of management either if it’s seb or leclerc fighting for the title I don’t care which one.

I want to go on record and say that I have nothing against Binotto, on the contrary, I think he's very competent in what he's doing. But let me get this straight, are Elkann and Camilleri actually blaming Arrivabene for Seb's mistakes and for throwing the title away? That's rich! Are they blaming Arrivabene for all the pitwall (strategy) and pitcrew mistakes as well? Funny...not! If that's the case then Elkann and Camilleri may fire themselves as well as they both took over once Sergio passed away midseason. It went downhill AFTER Sergio's death, not before.

The last thing Ferrari need prior to the 2019 season are blame games. All this makes me feel quite worried.

Quote Originally Posted by 512 TR View Post
    I want to go on record and say that I have nothing against Binotto, on the contrary, I think he's very competent in what he's doing. But let me get this straight, are Elkann and Camilleri actually blaming Arrivabene for Seb's mistakes and for throwing the title away? That's rich! Are they blaming Arrivabene for all the pitwall (strategy) and pitcrew mistakes as well? Funny...not! If that's the case then Elkann and Camilleri may fire themselves as well as they both took over once Sergio passed away midseason. It went downhill AFTER Sergio's death, not before.

The last thing Ferrari need prior to the 2019 season are blame games. All this makes me feel quite worried.
    Elkann and Camilleri are at odds. Elkann has had to step in 2x (from what we know) to make changes. Arrivabenne and Camilleri are Marlboro men.

No one has implied blame on Arrivabene for Sebs mistakes. Seb made mistakes and he's owned up to them...graciously. Aside from Sebs mistakes, the pit wall and Arrivabenne share some of the blame. BUT after recent knews of how Arrivabenne held back development in the 2nd half and the struggle with Binotto(wanting to quit), Elkann, not Camilleri, had to step in and make the change.

I would'nt be surprised if Camilleri's job is on the line. To have someone over you to do your job, what's the point of having you if you're not going to make some risky decisions. I think some of us here on this forum felt like Arrivabenne was'nt cut for the job. We could see it. I'm sure Camilleri saw it, but Arrivabenne is Marlboro along with Camilleri...there both "brotha's." Elkann steps in and ruins it for the both of them.....twice. I applaud Elkann for "kicking some butts."
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 7th January 2019 at 18:16.

I'm positive.

I belueve a tech guy knows who to listen too and stand behind and support when it comes to tech stuff, like Ross Brawn, the opposite of Domenicali.

I hope he stays involved in the car and he distribute some sporting stuff to some guy that helps him.

The question mark is if he is capable of fully fill the management part of his new role, I believe he will and if he does that I believe in a bright future, I think he'll bring lots of experience from Marchionne too which was integral in restructuring and shape the team.

The years to come will be exciting :)

Quote Originally Posted by WRX202 View Post
    So far so good but my only worry is who is going to replace Binotto in the technical role. Binotto was at the helm of last years' championship challenger but from now on he won't be able to give his expertise on the new cars. It will be impossible to occupy the position of Team Manager and Technical Role...

Fingers crossed I hope he had a lot of share on the 2019 forthcoming car!
    I think Lauren Mekies is going to be our new TD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    If the change doesn't work there's always 2020.
    'Change'? You mean improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    +1

2020 will be solid if the current personnel holds.

What about 2019?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    What about 2019?!?!?!
    yes, it will rejuvenate the team now that Arrivabenne is gone. Vettel can focus more on keeping his seat. Waiting to see if Leclerc will challenge him. Binotto has alot of food on his plate as everyone gets a accustomed to each other.

Let's just win the title for 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Results will show whether it is an improvement.

Results will show whether it is an improvement.
    Not really. Looking at the results, one would say 2017 car was more competitive than 2018 car, but we both know that's not true. Driver performance will mostly determine the 2019 result.
    But in terms of operational structure, a man of Binotto's expertise is definitely an improvement over Arrivabene. Preferring Arrivabene over Binotto is like preferring Domenicali over Ross Brawn.
    And if this article from Mark Hughes is true, then let's just say Arrivabene needed to be replaced.

Binotto's expertise as team principal are rather limited so I'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by T99 View Post
    Finally.. M.A is a great guy but his management has always been very emotional specially with kimi always trying not to hurt his feelings, this year in Germany it was absurd that after the pitwall cost vettel the lead he was left behind kimi for 10 laps cooking his tyres which may have influenced what happened later in the race and in Italy it was equally absurd that after failing kimi in Belgium qualifying just to try and compensate for that mistake he ordered vettel who was fighting for the championship to give kimi a tow in the 2 runs of Q3 on a track that a tow has more effect as well. Mercedes had a much more ruthless and rational approach to their drivers, and when you’re in a close fight that’s the only way to win, of course there were other mistakes out of his control but his management didn’t help at all. I hope binotto has a more rational approach to the management of the team and drivers.
    Vettel made that mistake in Germany all by himself. Don't try and blame MA for Vettel's mistakes.

In Italy Vettel made a mistake in qualifying and then messed up the race - all his fault. No team ever implements team orders at the start of a race.

You act like Mercedes were some slick operation who never made mistakes. Perhaps you forget their bad strategy calls in Austria, Canada, Melbourne etc. What about how they let Hamilton get undercut by Vettel in Russia? They decided to pit Bottas first when Hamilton was the one fighting for the championship.

The reason Ferrari lost the championship is primarily because of Vettel's mistakes. MA is just being made a scapegoat.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    If it means we keep Binotto then it's worth it but I don't think Arrivabene is the problem we're having the same issues under Arrivabene that we had under Domencali with strategys and in season development and there's nothing he can do about Seb's mistakes
    No we are not. Under Domenicali our car was too slow. That is no longer the case.

Binotto's expertise as team principal are rather limited so I'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.
    Indeed you will, Jean Todt was rather limited as team principal as well
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard Berger View Post
    Vettel made that mistake in Germany all by himself. Don't try and blame MA for Vettel's mistakes.

In Italy Vettel made a mistake in qualifying and then messed up the race - all his fault. No team ever implements team orders at the start of a race.

You act like Mercedes were some slick operation who never made mistakes. Perhaps you forget their bad strategy calls in Austria, Canada, Melbourne etc. What about how they let Hamilton get undercut by Vettel in Russia? They decided to pit Bottas first when Hamilton was the one fighting for the championship.

The reason Ferrari lost the championship is primarily because of Vettel's mistakes. MA is just being made a scapegoat.
    Yes. Seb's mistakes are all on him and he made plenty. I also don't believe that Build statement with no quotes from anyone inside, that MA has stopped funding on the car midway through the season, who would do that, it's pure crazy.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/o...riends-ferrari

I didn’t realise he was this unpopular!!!

I did like Arrivabene, but it is sometimes good to fire some people and make some noise so to say, so those who are left, work harder and maybe smarter.

Is it possible for arrivabeni to just visit Mercedes or Renault and share the 2019 car and engine secrets as he has no gardening leave? I hope its not another 2018 in terms of secret leaks

Ferrari: Laurent Mekies will be Binotto's shoulder in sports management

The French engineer, who has worked on safety at the FIA, will not operate in the technical field, where the work team is well established, but will play an important role in conducting sports and in the relationship with the drivers.

Christmas stillness was only apparent. While at the headquarters of the Maranello Sports Management the lights were left unlit for the traditional holidays, among the leaders of Ferrari the decisions that led to the farewell to Cavallino by Maurizio Arrivabene have matured. When the indiscretion of the Gazzetta dello Sport leaked, which was followed by the Ferrari press release, it was not surprising the decision itself, but the timing.

It is not usual to watch a change at the top of a team at the beginning of January, that is less than two months from pre-season tests and less than three from the first stage of the World Championship. But under the ashes that seemed destined to go out after the declarations that came in late autumn, in reality there was a still bright embers.

That between Arrivabene and Mattia Binotto there was not a great feeling was something known. In two they coexisted in their respective roles under the umbrella of President Sergio Marchionne, but his sudden death led the leaders of the Cavallino to make decisions that were previously the sole responsibility of the Italian-Canadian manager. And on the table of choices, the clashes became harsher.

In 2018 there was a lot of good in the Ferrari World Championship, but not enough to be able to aim at the two World titles. A verdict that highlighted the shortcomings, and to put all the pieces in the right place in view of the 2019 season have been assessed corrections. Decisions that brought different visions, organizational chart issues, men, strategies and assignments to the table. It is probable that Arrivabene had his own idea, different from that of Binotto, and the goal that was set Louis Camilleri, or that of creating the conditions for a coexistence between the two managers, has proved unattainable.

When in the last days of 2018 it became clear that at the helm of Ferrari there would have been space only for one of the two contenders, even the outcome of the story became predictable. On the one hand there was a 49-year-old chief engineer who is managing the work of hundreds of people within the Scuderia, a crucial role overall, and even more so within six weeks of the Barcelona test.

On the other, a sixty-one-year-old manager who in recent times had repeatedly underlined the wear and tear that entails being at the helm of the redhead. The epilogue is added to the long list of 'secrets' that contain the walls of Maranello, but it is not to be excluded that in the end it took shape by itself, without flying rags.

The brief press release sent by Ferrari states the following words: "Mattia Binotto takes on the role of Team Principal of Scuderia Ferrari. Mattia will continue to answer all the technical functions ".

For the engineer born in Lausanne the perspective is that of a full-fledged commitment, with a unique role in the current Formula 1. The first step that will have to perform Binotto will be to select the collaborators to whom delegate a series of tasks that for force of what can not follow in the first person, and on this front the emerging figure that seems destined to assume a role of weight is that of Laurent Mekies.

The forty-one Frenchman made his Ferrari debut in the Abu Dhabi paddock, on the occasion of the last race of 2018, and the experience gained as head of security at the FIA, and vice president of Charlie Whiting, will lead him to assume the role of sports director, a figure who had not been present in the Cavallino organization since the exit of the Scuderia di Massimo Rivola in 2016.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/fe...rtiva/4320648/
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

I actually think Sergio had already in place of all these changes and elkann is just carrying it all out.

Also agree vettel made this silly mistakes on his own and this most likely cost him and us the championship as the two races he F ...d up was his deficit at the end and the pendulum swung the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post

I would'nt be surprised if Camilleri's job is on the line. To have someone over you to do your job, what's the point of having you if you're not going to make some risky decisions. I think some of us here on this forum felt like Arrivabenne was'nt cut for the job. We could see it. I'm sure Camilleri saw it, but Arrivabenne is Marlboro along with Camilleri...there both "brotha's." Elkann steps in and ruins it for the both of them.....twice. I applaud Elkann for "kicking some butts."
    It is only a matter of time.

https://www.gazzetta.it/Formula-1/07...89446831.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by gazoz View Post
    I actually think Sergio had already in place of all these changes and elkann is just carrying it all out.
    yep

Quote Originally Posted by gazoz View Post

Also agree vettel made this silly mistakes on his own and this most likely cost him and us the championship as the two races he F ...d up was his deficit at the end and the pendulum swung the other way.
    As much as I was mad at Vettel you cannot put all the blame in his hands. If Vettel had the confidence and performance advantage of the early races he wouldn't have started less than P1 at Monza for instance. It's all a sequence of events. Our cars were less than great in the wet and Germany proved how hard Vettel was pushing and trying. They all make mistakes and every single point matters hence why in the end Mercedes had the last laugh when they were making Bottas move aside for Lewis even in the early stages of the season.

Yes Vettel screwed up 2 races but if for example he didn't take a shot in Monza everyone would have pointed fingers afterwards saying he sucks at overtaking etc. It's a never win situation. He tried, messed up and god knows what was going on at Maranello that we are not aware of.

We only see what they want us to see but I am pretty sure that the Binotto/Maurizio fire had been growing for a few months and thus trickling down to all the team eventually creating instability and unease = more mistakes. Binotto seems to be more a down to earth guy and let's hope we see better results this year. I am scared this may go south with all the changes and handing over another title to Lewis is the last thing I want to see but then I remember, this guy (Binotto) has been there during the Schumacher era, during the Alonso era and now even the Vettel era. He has tonnes of experience and know how so let's have some faith.

Apparently Wehrlein will be our sim driver Lol, so happy OMG the best two drivers in awhile are in Ferrari and now we stole merc boy who was really good wehrlein , really positive things this week. Seb & Binotto are supposedly close and if they can support charles and seb closer to how ham gets treated we can definitely take a fight to them thats if we make the right choice with enforcing team orders... , but no idea where we stand car wise obviously, we might be near the top behind mercs like last year, ahead or backmarkers lol with a giant wheelbase that cant take turns again loool, so far so good though i hope even better news comes out this week is hot fire so far.

i like MA as an onscreen figure for ferrari he was really cool but seeing all these bad things said about him its hard to believe all of it but our car was terrible and yuck second half of the season so can see why that was now. But i do believe the incredible legendary Sergio M (RIP) chose the best drivers , had the promotion for binotto planned and i trust Sergio M vision
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Elkann and Camilleri are at odds. Elkann has had to step in 2x (from what we know) to make changes. Arrivabenne and Camilleri are Marlboro men.
    How can Elkann and Camilleri be at odds? It was Elkann who hired Camilleri. Camilleri wasn't a choice the Sergio wanted to follow him should he step down. Also, don't forget, Elkann is a Bilderberger and a very strange person all in himself.

No one has implied blame on Arrivabene for Sebs mistakes. Seb made mistakes and he's owned up to them...graciously. Aside from Sebs mistakes, the pit wall and Arrivabenne share some of the blame. BUT after recent knews of how Arrivabenne held back development in the 2nd half and the struggle with Binotto(wanting to quit), Elkann, not Camilleri, had to step in and make the change.
    Well, that's what it looks like. Arrivabene is made the scapegoat for other persons mistakes. Why should Arrivabene have held development back? It doesn't make sense. Seems like the usual media BS to stirr things.

If Camilleri's job is on the line then that will one short stint as head of Ferrari. Is Elkann nuts? He hired him for Christ's sake!

Why would anybody think Arrivabene wasn't cut for the job? Hasn't there been progress made in the years he was team principal? It's not like the team has been going backwards, on the contrary. Had it not been for Seb's stupid mistakes Ferrari might have at least won the WCC this year as Kimi beat Bottas.

The thing is. If Binotto takes charge of the team, and he's great and what he's done, how can we be sure Binotto's role will be filled with competence? And how can we know Binotto will be a good team principal. Is this change a good one for next season? Is this Elkann's view of stability? I'm seriously worried. I'm the most worried that Binotto's earlier role will not be filled with competence. Every man should be at the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by 512 TR View Post
    How can Elkann and Camilleri be at odds? It was Elkann who hired Camilleri. Camilleri wasn't a choice the Sergio wanted to follow him should he step down. Also, don't forget, Elkann is a Bilderberger and a very strange person all in himself.

Well, that's what it looks like. Arrivabene is made the scapegoat for other persons mistakes. Why should Arrivabene have held development back? It doesn't make sense. Seems like the usual media BS to stirr things.

If Camilleri's job is on the line then that will one short stint as head of Ferrari. Is Elkann nuts? He hired him for Christ's sake!

Why would anybody think Arrivabene wasn't cut for the job? Hasn't there been progress made in the years he was team principal? It's not like the team has been going backwards, on the contrary. Had it not been for Seb's stupid mistakes Ferrari might have at least won the WCC this year as Kimi beat Bottas.

The thing is. If Binotto takes charge of the team, and he's great and what he's done, how can we be sure Binotto's role will be filled with competence? And how can we know Binotto will be a good team principal. Is this change a good one for next season? Is this Elkann's view of stability? I'm seriously worried. I'm the most worried that Binotto's earlier role will not be filled with competence. Every man should be at the right place.
    After Marchionne's death, Camilleri was going to keep things stable.....Vettel-Kimi for 2019 and Leclerc still with Sauber plus Arrivabene still at Ferrari. After all, Camilleri is taking direction from Arrivabene.

"Interestingly, it was Ferrari chairman, Sergio Marchionne, who appointed Arrivabene, and in the wake of end-of-season reports that his position was under threat, the Italian snapped "My position? Ask, Camilleri", referring to the new Ferrari chairman following Marchionne's passing in the summer."

That all changed and more recently as well...then:

"The man driving the claims of the team going the wrong way in its development was Arrivabene, which ultimately led to claims that Binotto was to leave Ferrari in a move that which would trigger an off-season game of musical chairs which could include James Allison heading to Renault. However, Arrivabene dismissed the talk as a deliberate attempt to destabilise the team."

It's not just [Autobild] reporting this but this article as well. Maybe both articles got their info from the same Italian source???..maybe.

Elkann stepped in with Leclerc (that was a hard pill to swallow but I get it "out with the old(Kimi) in the with the new sorta thing") and Elkann stepped in with Arrivabene's firing and hiring Binotto due to what happened in the 2nd half of the season. Arrivabene is marketing, Binotto is technical...IN F1!!!! This is a good move for the Scuderia. Talk is that all this change will de-stabilize the team and I'm telling you this will re-energize the team IMO....if it has'nt already. My only concern is the 2nd half of the season but I'm more than sure Binotto will not let that happen....again!!

article quotes:

https://www.pitpass.com/63756/Arrivabene-out-at-Ferrari

and now Camilleri's job might be in jeopardy:

https://www.gazzetta.it/Formula-1/07...89446831.shtml

Maybe, just maybe, Vettel is talking to Elkann of what changes need to be made....not with Leclerc....but with Binotto. This is hypothectical of course.
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 8th January 2019 at 16:22.