Thread: 2019 Team-mate battles

2019 Team-mate battles

We still have some time to go until the action begins so I propose a prediction. Which driver will win the battle in every team?

Mercedes

Lewis Hamilton - Valtteri Bottas

I believe the ranks within Mercedes will be the same as last year, with Bottas the rear gunner and Lewis winning their "battle" easy.

Ferrari

Sebastian Vettel - Charles Leclerc

Although Charles is promising I think he will see the difference between having Ericsson as teammate and Seb. Vettel needs to just remove those hot headed attempts and he will be fine. Leclerc will probably need some time to adjust to the new expectations and the way Ferrari handle him will be crucial, at least in the first year. Going with Seb on this one.

Red Bull Racing

Max Verstappen - Pierre Gasly

As Charles I believe Pierre to be very talented. The RBR is like a train on rails, so it may be the best car for a young driver to have. Still RBR have made Max their nr. 1 priority and I believe he will win this.

Renault

Daniel Ricciardo - Nico Hulkenberg

Although I rate Ricciardo higher, Hulk has more time with the team and comes off an impressive year. Ricciardo's quality should be enough to pip it though.

Haas

Romain Grosjean - Kevin Magnussen

Grosjean is lucky to still be in F1 after the season he has had. Magnussen looks more comfortable in that car, so he should get it.

Racing Point

Sergio Perez - Lance Stroll

Interesting to see how much the team will focus on Lance rather than the better driver Perez. In normal conditions I think Sergio will wipe the floor with him, but with the daddy influence, Stroll will probably have an advantage. Perez is a solid midfield driver and I think he will beat Lance whatever the conditions.

McLaren

Carlos Sainz - Lando Norris

Sainz should be the leader of the team and beat his rookie teammate. He has to grow up fast with the situation McLaren is in. Heard they tried with Kimi, Ricciardo and Perez but they had to settle for Sainz. Carlos needs to win this.

Sauber

Kimi Raikkonen - Antonio Giovinazzi

I think Antonio is better than Ericcson, so Sauber traded up. Kimi will be the engine in this team and lot will depend on his level of involvement and motivation. Ferrari will keep an eye on Antonio and how he will fare against Raikkonen, so a lot to win for Giovinazzi if he does well. Kimi should take this easy, with his experience and lack of mistakes during a race, which is key in the midfield battle.

Toro Rosso

Daniil Kvyat - Alexander Albon

Kvyat is a loose cannon and we remember him taking out our boys in a number of occassions. Don't know if he is the right choice to lead a team, any team. He has to beat his rookie teammate, but I think it will be close.

Williams

George Russell - Robert Kubica

Hard to read into this one. What is Kubica's current level, especially during a race? Russell looks pretty solid and very mature for his age. More questions than answers here. Going with the young gun, with the lack of further information.

Great thread.

Mercedes

Lewis Hamilton - Valtteri Bottas

Ranks are clear; Hamilton on pure quality.

Ferrari

Sebastian Vettel - Charles Leclerc

WCC first; does not really matter to me which Ferrari driver gets the WDC.

Seb has the edge based on experience and perhaps the ability to command resources behind him. I would say Seb will have a slight but perceptible speed advantage but I am very excited for Charles to show his pace. Race craft, IMO, is a toss-up: Seb showed cracks in 2018 and we don't know what Charles can do in a top F1 team. I will not be surprised if there is not a big gap between our 2 drivers. We should just pound everyone with 1-2s and all will be well.

Red Bull Racing

Max Verstappen - Pierre Gasly

By a considerable margin, I think. Pierre may bother Max occasionally, but Max will be utterly ruthless over the season and Pierre will not be able to withstand the sustained attack.

Renault

Daniel Ricciardo - Nico Hulkenberg

Dan on straight up talent; Nico's inconsistency will cost him more than usual.

Haas

Romain Grosjean - Kevin Magnussen

A Toss Up

It's really just who commits fewer errors and suffers less reliability problems. Maybe Kevin comes out on top but only ever so slightly.

Racing Point

Sergio Perez - Lance Stroll

No disrespect but I mean it is Lance Stroll in the other car.

McLaren

Carlos Sainz - Lando Norris

Think we are in for a surprise here. Lando's the right combination of talent and ambition. He will pounce on every slip up Carlos makes, and Carlos makes quite a few.

Sauber

Kimi Raikkonen - Antonio Giovinazzi

He's riding a strong finish to 2018, so if he decides he wants to show up for work, Kimi is winning this battle. Antonio should focus on honing his skills and beating the STR and Williams drivers.

Toro Rosso

Daniil Kvyat - Alexander Albon

Daniil is just too error-prone and the lack of competitive running in 2018 could hurt him. Albon just needs to pay attention to running his races and his skill should take care of the rest.

Williams

George Russell - Robert Kubica

Tough one. Robert, the grizzled vet, is the emotional favorite but George is coming in very hot. Russell here but not by much.
    Last edited by killer; 31st January 2019 at 03:56.

Really great post!! I can't even make a complaint!! I for sure hope Sauber with Antonio and Kimi can beat the likes of Williams and a few ahead of Williams. Seb needs to concentrate on beating Stroll for starters, and well;
    Williams also. Or else we fans will be reading posts here after 1st race , hoping 2020 will be the year Ferrari has a chance!
    Last edited by Brembo; 1st February 2019 at 06:27.