Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 611

Thread: Ferrari SF90

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,342
    I'm wondering how the DRS actuator works. Does it push the back of the wing down rather than lift the front up? Looks odd.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,200
    We're doomed...



    Seriously though, I trust in Binotto and our drivers.

    Also, the Ferrari's front wing looks beautiful to my eyes.


    Disappointed Since 2010

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    1,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    I'm wondering how the DRS actuator works. Does it push the back of the wing down rather than lift the front up? Looks odd.
    I believe it actually lifts the wing up to flatten the surface area and hence reduce drag. The design was pioneered for safety as if it had to get stuck it is easier for it to stay closed (under aero pressure) rather than stay open especially since this is deployed on straight lines where cars pick up a lot of speed.

    I think last year we saw an instance (Ericsson) where the DRS stayed open and the driver lost control under braking.

    https://youtu.be/38j-qXYtEQE
    Last edited by WRX202; 15th February 2019 at 14:16.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Red Planet
    Posts
    556
    I don't mind that the car is plain at launch and at the start of the season. For the past two years we have been the top dog from the get go.

    The thing that concerns me though, and I don't like sounding like a broken record here, is our in-season development, or lack thereof. For the past ten years we've lost around 3-4 championships due to our bad form when the 2nd part of the season came around. During Alonso's stint it was Red Bull who pipped us and for the past two years it was Mercedes' turn.

    I hope we learned from our mistakes and the sweeping changes in the team, starting with top management, will finally fix this major weakness.

    FORZA FERRARI!

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    9,570
    I'm not a fan of the color scheme... whoever thought black words on red would look good.
    Looking forward to seeing this car in action.

    Meanwhile, would love to learn more about the front wing design philosophy this year. Seems they are going for lesser flap area towards the outside, wonder why is that.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    1,434
    Taking a closer look at the front wing I've come to realise that it is far from simple or a copy of last years design. The flaps seem to be re-directing air towards the outer part of the wheel, very similar but maybe not as radical as the Alfa's concept. It's almost as if the Aero designers went the complete other way for wind direction, High at the centre, low at the edges.

    Could it be some aero wizardry to interrupt the flow of the cars following behind? :p or maybe to push the flow of air a bit further towards the air intakes on the side pods?
    Last edited by WRX202; 15th February 2019 at 14:32.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX202 View Post
    Taking a closer look at the front wing I've come to realise that it is far from simple or a copy of last years design. The flaps seem to be re-directing air towards the outer part of the wheel, very similar but maybe not as radical as the Alfa's concept. It's almost as if the Aero designers went the complete other way for wind direction, High at the centre, low at the edges.

    Could it be some aero wizardry to interrupt the flow of the cars following behind? :p or maybe to push the flow of air a bit further towards the air intakes on the side pods?
    I think quite simply it is to create outwash and force it around the front tyres. Red bull is managing in a similar way but opposite - their front wing is highest and angled outwards at the tyre-side of the front wing. Ours is highest in the centre and flat on the tyre-side. Different attempts at a similar outcome (IMO). We wait to see who got it right.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA!
    Posts
    1,890
    Oh well, bring on 2020...
    Liberty-Guns-Beer-Trump... & Ferrari.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    3,563
    It must be my lack of technical knowledge but I absolutely love it.
    I wanted it to be red and black and it is!!!!!!
    I don't like white on our red car and this car is devoid of it.
    I am delighted with the look.....................now let's hope it's a quick mean machine.


    Forza Jules

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    India
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    Oh well, bring on 2020...
    Or 2021 if their are some major rule changes?

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    1,434
    Quote Originally Posted by JPBD View Post
    Me too! Are they shaking down today at Fiorano? Or just Barcelona filming day? Must be the first time they haven’t in a loooong time
    Just to let you know Vettel will be doing the first run this Sunday for a "filming day"

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    11,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    I'm not a fan of the color scheme... whoever thought black words on red would look good.
    Looking forward to seeing this car in action.

    Meanwhile, would love to learn more about the front wing design philosophy this year. Seems they are going for lesser flap area towards the outside, wonder why is that.
    They are not even black but dark gray! Dreadful!

  13. #133
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,802
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX202 View Post
    Just to let you know Vettel will be doing the first run this Sunday for a "filming day"
    Charles is already moving over for the legend!

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stowmarket. U.K
    Posts
    17,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    I'm not a fan of the color scheme... whoever thought black words on red would look good.
    Looking forward to seeing this car in action.

    Meanwhile, would love to learn more about the front wing design philosophy this year. Seems they are going for lesser flap area towards the outside, wonder why is that.
    From my earlier post

    Front wing
    The front wing is one of the most important components of the car, in that not only does it produce downforce at the front end, it also conditions the quality of airflow over the rear, which is a key factor in delivering effective aerodynamics. The 2019 regulations require a simplification of the front wing. Its width is increased to 2 metres, which is exactly the same as the track of the car, while the number of horizontal elements cannot exceed five. The vertical elements at the extremities of the wing are no longer allowed and the geometry of the endplates has been simplified. The purpose of these changes is to make the cars less sensitive to the outwash effect when following another car.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

  15. #135
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    7,230
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    Oh well, bring on 2020...
    LOL.....go back to bed, WILL YA!!!!
    ...the new SF90 in the MATTE RED, to me it looks amazing. Let's hope it's gonna be as FAST as it looks.


  16. #136
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    1,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Charles is already moving over for the legend!
    Nah, he's just letting Vettel do the running in before shaking it for good. Leclerc has that "not impressed" stare when you look at him so the kid means business

  17. #137
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    7,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Charles is already moving over for the legend!
    and then Seb will do the same for Charles when the actual season will start......lololol
    ...the new SF90 in the MATTE RED, to me it looks amazing. Let's hope it's gonna be as FAST as it looks.


  18. #138
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    7,230
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX202 View Post
    Nah, he's just letting Vettel do the running in before shaking it for good. Leclerc has that "not impressed" stare when you look at him so the kid means business
    totally agree with you....it would be funny if Seb would get schooled by Charles in his first year with Ferrari.....just saying....now all seb fan boys feel free to bash me....lol
    ...the new SF90 in the MATTE RED, to me it looks amazing. Let's hope it's gonna be as FAST as it looks.


  19. #139
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    S.A
    Posts
    10,231
    Q: Is it your first matte car? Is it going to change the way you think about giving her a name?

    Vettel: I don't know... If I would give a guy's name Mat would be a proposal
    LOL my boy Seb , if i remember correctly they will be doing some tv or video of the testing in barca which is pretty sweet
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

  20. #140
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    S.A
    Posts
    10,231
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX202 View Post
    The innovative concept of last years' mirrors was that air flow re-directing vane built in which if you look closer this year is replicated by the supporting arm of the mirrors with the added benefit that the way they're joined together is more rigid and no obstruction from the mirror surface.

    Attachment 7555
    i see, but then why didnt we adopt this last year didnt merc or Rb or someone have a similar design?, the car looks very bare-bones , aw well very soon we will know if we have a fighter or a sleeper , still cant stand looking at those ugly logos , on the flipside everytime i see a pic it looks like they actually wanted the ash grey to remind ppl about Marlboro lol
    Last edited by mwk360; 15th February 2019 at 17:12.
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

  21. #141
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA!
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    LOL.....go back to bed, WILL YA!!!!
    Do I have to hold up a "SARCASM" sign? lol

    It was a jab at all those who are already crying despite the car not having even been driven yet.
    Liberty-Guns-Beer-Trump... & Ferrari.

  22. #142
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    S.A
    Posts
    10,231
    About Ferrari's lack of competitiveness in the development plan

    Mattia Binotto: "We want to improve this aspect. We analyzed, tried to understand and cure it. It is a normal process of learning, of growth and I am convinced that today we are stronger than last year."
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

  23. #143
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    7,230
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    Do I have to hold up a "SARCASM" sign? lol

    It was a jab at all those who are already crying despite the car not having even been driven yet.
    oh, man....i should have read that sarcasm between the lines.....my bad for picking on you....

    myself, i LOVE the livery.....the matte kind of fluorescent RED.....i think it will look "bananas" under the neon lights on those night races.....and if it turns out to be a FAST beast.....the better
    ...the new SF90 in the MATTE RED, to me it looks amazing. Let's hope it's gonna be as FAST as it looks.


  24. #144
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    S.A
    Posts
    10,231
    Mattia Binotto: "There are no revolutions, but there have been changes starting with the communication department. There was a willingness to turn the page, to look at communication in a different way, collaborating with the media, each in their own role."
    hopefully this will mean we get even more ferrari stuff
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

  25. #145
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    INDIA
    Posts
    32
    Ferrari reveals its tech strategy for toppling Mercedes
    Ferrari has come closest to toppling Mercedes over the past two Formula 1 seasons, but failed to keep up its momentum each time. Has its off-season shake-up had the desired effect and made its 2019 car the one to beat?

    By Gary Anderson
    Published on Friday February 15th 2019
    RSS feed

    Latest

    News
    Trending
    Plus

    Jonathan NobleHow Ricciardo already has Renault 'bouncing'
    Technical analysisFerrari reveals its tech strategy for toppling Mercedes
    Edd StrawThe F1 driver clash nobody is talking about
    Technical analysisHas McLaren learned from its mistakes?
    Technical analysisHow Mercedes is pushing for perfection with W10
    Gary AndersonAggressive Red Bull design shows Honda's progress
    Karun ChandhokChandhok answers F1 2019's big questions
    Share this article on Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

    Ferrari needs to start this season strongly. It has done this over the past couple of seasons, but this year it needs to maintain that form right to the chequered flag at the final race. Ferrari has nearly always had a fast enough car to be up there with a chance of big points, but it must reduce its mistakes both on and off the track.

    At least this year's car is different. Ferrari once again has gone its own way with many features - the most visually obvious of which is the front wing. It's similar in concept to what Renault has been trying to achieve, although Alfa Romeo has taken this to a whole new level.

    For 2019, the exhaust outlet location has been positioned to reduce the potential for exhaust blowing, but the wastegate outlets have more freedom. Ferrari has tried to get a little extra performance from these

    It's too early to say who's right but the means of determining the outcome will be very simple. If you haven't got the components in place to generate enough downforce, then it's going to be difficult to find other elements to make up for the front wing's lack of performance.

    A five-element wing with a simple endplate design is the norm now because that's what the regulations dictate. Ferrari's first three flaps connect to the mandatory single central wing section, then all the flaps sweep rearwards to meet up with the endplate.

    The inner section of the flaps sweep downwards more than most other teams, acting as more of an inner endplate, which will also contain vortices that are generated through the main plane tunnel at this intersection. The outer ends of the flaps, where they sweep downwards to the endplates, are strange.

    Yes, producing downforce in front of the tyre will always be difficult, and it's even more challenging to produce it when the tyre is constantly at a different angle because of steering - but not doing it at all must incur an overall loss. Time will tell who's got it right, and who needs a few development bits pretty quickly.

    The rest of the car is more of a development based on what they learned from last year. As with most other cars the rear view mirrors are mounted very far out, giving them more opportunity to use the mounts as aerodynamic turning vanes.

    The triangular roll bar and airbox intake looks smaller than most other cars. This roll bar geometry is best for the loads it has to withstand, while normally a reasonable amount of the airflow going through this opening is used to cool parts of the car's systems. But this does mean those radiators need to be mounted fairly high up, raising the centre of gravity of the car. Since the roll hoop is the highest part of the car, a lighter rollover bar concept and lowering the cooling components would have a significant influence on the centre of gravity height.

    Ferrari has been more than a match for Mercedes over the past couple of seasons - thankfully, the team has elected to stick to its guns, using the same nose design developed incrementally in recent years

    Combine that with the fact that the main radiator inlet ducts look a little bigger than last year, allowing for extra cooling in that area, and I think we can assume they've put some extra effort into the mechanical side of the concept.

    One of the other interesting features is the twin exhaust wastegates mounted above the actual exhaust outlet. For this year, the actual exhaust outlet location has been positioned to reduce the potential of exhaust blowing on the underside of the rear wing, but there is still some freedom over the location of the wastegate outlets. So Ferrari has tried to get a little bit of extra performance from their location. Most Ferrari teams will be doing the same as I'm pretty sure it would be one of the parts both Haas and Alfa Romeo buy directly from Ferrari.

    Before I can really give an opinion on where any of the teams stand this year I would like to see their cars in a little more detail. As I often say, it's the sum of the total that gives the overall performance, so it's about making everything work together.

    You won't have to wait long for that because I'll be at Barcelona on Monday with my trusty stopwatch. Together with the rest of the Autosport team, I'll be bringing the facts and figures as it all unfolds. It's all about to kick off, and I can't wait.
    Jake Boxall-Legge on Ferrari's design intricacies

    Is this the car that's going to end Mercedes' run of dominance? Ferrari, having come out of the starting blocks faster at the start of last year, lost its way in the second half of 2018 - Sebastian Vettel's moment of brain-fade at Hockenheim's Sachs Kurve represented a tidal shift in the battle for the championship. From that moment, the advantage moved in favour of Lewis Hamilton.

    Ferrari made too many mistakes last season, as the weight of expectation forced Vettel into multiple errors when his championship challenge began to fade away - ultimately ending in Maurizio Arrivabene's head becoming acquainted with the chopping block. In his stead, technical director Mattia Binotto stepped up into the team principal role, hoping to improve the Scuderia's fortunes.

    Within this welter of changes, the SF90 thankfully seems to be a continuation of Ferrari's design ethos. It's been more than a match for Mercedes over the past couple of seasons - sensibly, the team has elected to stick to its guns, using the same nose design developed incrementally in recent years.

    The front wing is in keeping with current trends; the inboard section of the flaps are higher up than the outboard portion, allowing the airflow to slide down and induce the outwashing characteristic that the teams are so keen to retain.

    While the intent of the regulations has been to reduce outwashing, the teams have channelled much of their resources towards mitigating the effects of the changes - and Ferrari has created a twist in the elements to promote further outwashing. At the point at which the elements meet the endplates, they have a visibly reduced angle of attack; ultimately this reduces downforce but offers more control because the airflow is less prone to separation.

    The inboard section has been tunnelled as much as possible to produce the vortices off the neutral section, and the mounting pylons feature three slots to work with that further. The outwashing endplates feature a small dip in the top edge towards the trailing edge, helping air spill over the top earlier on before moving around the front wheels.

    Keeping the front suspension components as low as possible minimises the blockage to the sidepod inlets, which are a continuation of the high-positioned intakes which use the crash structures to bound the horizontal limits. This includes the extended inlet aperture on the top of the sidepods, broken up somewhat by the crash structure winglet mounted at the top.

    The bargeboard section underneath looks tidy, featuring a series of turning vanes around the bottom area to pull airflow around the face of the car and fire it along the top edge of the floor. There's a similar design to the sidepod bargeboard area compared with last year, albeit lower down to satisfy the new regulations, seeking to collect up the flow off the front tyres and control the pockets of turbulence into something more workable for the rest of the car.

    As hinted at by the unveiling of the Haas VF-19, Ferrari has refined its packaging and, as a result, the bodywork is even tighter. At the launch at Maranello, Binotto waxed lyrical over the refined engine cover bodywork and intake, which have been tightened up as much as possible to limit the disturbance to the rear of the car.

    "If you look at it in all the details, certainly we've tried to push very hard, being innovative," he said. "The rollhoop is very narrow, and if you look at the bodywork at the back it is very slim. In terms of engine installation and power installation packaging a lot of effort has been done, and I think the final shape is the result of all this effort."

    A second inlet is included below the first triangular shape at the rollhoop, offering cooling to the ancillary power unit components without too much of a drag penalty. As a result of Ferrari's packaging, more space has been afforded to the fin at the back to minimise the mixing of airflow either side of the intake - reducing the turbulent zone behind.

    As the sidepods fold into the rearmost section, the flared outlets used for cooling are limited in size, underlining Ferrari's gains with its power unit over the off-season. The floor features three banks of longitudinal slots along the edge to seal the floor and send some airflow around the rear tyres, while the rear of the engine cover features a double T-wing, looping together at the ends to clean up flow ahead of the rear wing.

    At the rear wing, there's six strakes overhanging on the endplate, cleaning up the wake from the rear wheels and producing a tip vortex to improve rear-end stability. This is something Ferrari used last year, part of its Singapore update package that was eventually rolled back ahead of Sochi having failed to perform in the manner expected. Evidently, the team has still found value in its inclusion and will hope a second tilt at the split endplate design will yield greater dividends.

    The wing mounts are consistent with current trends, minimising disruption to the suction surface, and the DRS actuator housing is very neatly sculpted to ensure the central section can work efficiently despite the furniture in front.

    As testing begins, it won't be surprising if Ferrari emerges strongly, continuing its evolution of a successful F1 concept. But Mercedes was relentless in its development towards the second half of 2018 and, if it does so again, Ferrari is going to have to show the guile and determination to match it.

    The Scuderia has come close to honours in the past two seasons. Will it be third time lucky?

  26. #146
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    S.A
    Posts
    10,231
    Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
    Ferrari reveals its tech strategy for toppling Mercedes
    Ferrari has come closest to toppling Mercedes over the past two Formula 1 seasons, but failed to keep up its momentum each time. Has its off-season shake-up had the desired effect and made its 2019 car the one to beat?

    By Gary Anderson
    Published on Friday February 15th 2019
    RSS feed

    Latest

    News
    Trending
    Plus

    Jonathan NobleHow Ricciardo already has Renault 'bouncing'
    Technical analysisFerrari reveals its tech strategy for toppling Mercedes
    Edd StrawThe F1 driver clash nobody is talking about
    Technical analysisHas McLaren learned from its mistakes?
    Technical analysisHow Mercedes is pushing for perfection with W10
    Gary AndersonAggressive Red Bull design shows Honda's progress
    Karun ChandhokChandhok answers F1 2019's big questions
    Share this article on Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

    Ferrari needs to start this season strongly. It has done this over the past couple of seasons, but this year it needs to maintain that form right to the chequered flag at the final race. Ferrari has nearly always had a fast enough car to be up there with a chance of big points, but it must reduce its mistakes both on and off the track.

    At least this year's car is different. Ferrari once again has gone its own way with many features - the most visually obvious of which is the front wing. It's similar in concept to what Renault has been trying to achieve, although Alfa Romeo has taken this to a whole new level.

    For 2019, the exhaust outlet location has been positioned to reduce the potential for exhaust blowing, but the wastegate outlets have more freedom. Ferrari has tried to get a little extra performance from these

    It's too early to say who's right but the means of determining the outcome will be very simple. If you haven't got the components in place to generate enough downforce, then it's going to be difficult to find other elements to make up for the front wing's lack of performance.

    A five-element wing with a simple endplate design is the norm now because that's what the regulations dictate. Ferrari's first three flaps connect to the mandatory single central wing section, then all the flaps sweep rearwards to meet up with the endplate.

    The inner section of the flaps sweep downwards more than most other teams, acting as more of an inner endplate, which will also contain vortices that are generated through the main plane tunnel at this intersection. The outer ends of the flaps, where they sweep downwards to the endplates, are strange.

    Yes, producing downforce in front of the tyre will always be difficult, and it's even more challenging to produce it when the tyre is constantly at a different angle because of steering - but not doing it at all must incur an overall loss. Time will tell who's got it right, and who needs a few development bits pretty quickly.

    The rest of the car is more of a development based on what they learned from last year. As with most other cars the rear view mirrors are mounted very far out, giving them more opportunity to use the mounts as aerodynamic turning vanes.

    The triangular roll bar and airbox intake looks smaller than most other cars. This roll bar geometry is best for the loads it has to withstand, while normally a reasonable amount of the airflow going through this opening is used to cool parts of the car's systems. But this does mean those radiators need to be mounted fairly high up, raising the centre of gravity of the car. Since the roll hoop is the highest part of the car, a lighter rollover bar concept and lowering the cooling components would have a significant influence on the centre of gravity height.

    Ferrari has been more than a match for Mercedes over the past couple of seasons - thankfully, the team has elected to stick to its guns, using the same nose design developed incrementally in recent years

    Combine that with the fact that the main radiator inlet ducts look a little bigger than last year, allowing for extra cooling in that area, and I think we can assume they've put some extra effort into the mechanical side of the concept.

    One of the other interesting features is the twin exhaust wastegates mounted above the actual exhaust outlet. For this year, the actual exhaust outlet location has been positioned to reduce the potential of exhaust blowing on the underside of the rear wing, but there is still some freedom over the location of the wastegate outlets. So Ferrari has tried to get a little bit of extra performance from their location. Most Ferrari teams will be doing the same as I'm pretty sure it would be one of the parts both Haas and Alfa Romeo buy directly from Ferrari.

    Before I can really give an opinion on where any of the teams stand this year I would like to see their cars in a little more detail. As I often say, it's the sum of the total that gives the overall performance, so it's about making everything work together.

    You won't have to wait long for that because I'll be at Barcelona on Monday with my trusty stopwatch. Together with the rest of the Autosport team, I'll be bringing the facts and figures as it all unfolds. It's all about to kick off, and I can't wait.
    Jake Boxall-Legge on Ferrari's design intricacies

    Is this the car that's going to end Mercedes' run of dominance? Ferrari, having come out of the starting blocks faster at the start of last year, lost its way in the second half of 2018 - Sebastian Vettel's moment of brain-fade at Hockenheim's Sachs Kurve represented a tidal shift in the battle for the championship. From that moment, the advantage moved in favour of Lewis Hamilton.

    Ferrari made too many mistakes last season, as the weight of expectation forced Vettel into multiple errors when his championship challenge began to fade away - ultimately ending in Maurizio Arrivabene's head becoming acquainted with the chopping block. In his stead, technical director Mattia Binotto stepped up into the team principal role, hoping to improve the Scuderia's fortunes.

    Within this welter of changes, the SF90 thankfully seems to be a continuation of Ferrari's design ethos. It's been more than a match for Mercedes over the past couple of seasons - sensibly, the team has elected to stick to its guns, using the same nose design developed incrementally in recent years.

    The front wing is in keeping with current trends; the inboard section of the flaps are higher up than the outboard portion, allowing the airflow to slide down and induce the outwashing characteristic that the teams are so keen to retain.

    While the intent of the regulations has been to reduce outwashing, the teams have channelled much of their resources towards mitigating the effects of the changes - and Ferrari has created a twist in the elements to promote further outwashing. At the point at which the elements meet the endplates, they have a visibly reduced angle of attack; ultimately this reduces downforce but offers more control because the airflow is less prone to separation.

    The inboard section has been tunnelled as much as possible to produce the vortices off the neutral section, and the mounting pylons feature three slots to work with that further. The outwashing endplates feature a small dip in the top edge towards the trailing edge, helping air spill over the top earlier on before moving around the front wheels.

    Keeping the front suspension components as low as possible minimises the blockage to the sidepod inlets, which are a continuation of the high-positioned intakes which use the crash structures to bound the horizontal limits. This includes the extended inlet aperture on the top of the sidepods, broken up somewhat by the crash structure winglet mounted at the top.

    The bargeboard section underneath looks tidy, featuring a series of turning vanes around the bottom area to pull airflow around the face of the car and fire it along the top edge of the floor. There's a similar design to the sidepod bargeboard area compared with last year, albeit lower down to satisfy the new regulations, seeking to collect up the flow off the front tyres and control the pockets of turbulence into something more workable for the rest of the car.

    As hinted at by the unveiling of the Haas VF-19, Ferrari has refined its packaging and, as a result, the bodywork is even tighter. At the launch at Maranello, Binotto waxed lyrical over the refined engine cover bodywork and intake, which have been tightened up as much as possible to limit the disturbance to the rear of the car.

    "If you look at it in all the details, certainly we've tried to push very hard, being innovative," he said. "The rollhoop is very narrow, and if you look at the bodywork at the back it is very slim. In terms of engine installation and power installation packaging a lot of effort has been done, and I think the final shape is the result of all this effort."

    A second inlet is included below the first triangular shape at the rollhoop, offering cooling to the ancillary power unit components without too much of a drag penalty. As a result of Ferrari's packaging, more space has been afforded to the fin at the back to minimise the mixing of airflow either side of the intake - reducing the turbulent zone behind.

    As the sidepods fold into the rearmost section, the flared outlets used for cooling are limited in size, underlining Ferrari's gains with its power unit over the off-season. The floor features three banks of longitudinal slots along the edge to seal the floor and send some airflow around the rear tyres, while the rear of the engine cover features a double T-wing, looping together at the ends to clean up flow ahead of the rear wing.

    At the rear wing, there's six strakes overhanging on the endplate, cleaning up the wake from the rear wheels and producing a tip vortex to improve rear-end stability. This is something Ferrari used last year, part of its Singapore update package that was eventually rolled back ahead of Sochi having failed to perform in the manner expected. Evidently, the team has still found value in its inclusion and will hope a second tilt at the split endplate design will yield greater dividends.

    The wing mounts are consistent with current trends, minimising disruption to the suction surface, and the DRS actuator housing is very neatly sculpted to ensure the central section can work efficiently despite the furniture in front.

    As testing begins, it won't be surprising if Ferrari emerges strongly, continuing its evolution of a successful F1 concept. But Mercedes was relentless in its development towards the second half of 2018 and, if it does so again, Ferrari is going to have to show the guile and determination to match it.

    The Scuderia has come close to honours in the past two seasons. Will it be third time lucky?
    agreed with lot of the previous seasons comments, lol and the article is selling me this might be the year but we'll need to see if its both quick on straights(2018) and Turns(2017), Aus is mostly DF and Bah will show us engine power, if the team can dominate both in quali and race on those two tracks I'll flip out
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

  27. #147
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA!
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    oh, man....i should have read that sarcasm between the lines.....my bad for picking on you....

    myself, i LOVE the livery.....the matte kind of fluorescent RED.....i think it will look "bananas" under the neon lights on those night races.....and if it turns out to be a FAST beast.....the better
    No worried dude.

    personally I don't care if they paint it baby puke green and have drawings of all over it. As long as it win races and the WDC/WCC.
    Liberty-Guns-Beer-Trump... & Ferrari.

  28. #148
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    28,481
    So many aero experts on this forum
    Forza Ferrari

  29. #149
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    S.A
    Posts
    10,231


    not sure if already posted
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

  30. #150
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    norCal
    Posts
    9,250
    It's hideous

    As long as she's fast

    -Lou(is)

    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15
    27
    Totus Tuus


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •