Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161728 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari SF90

I can see where Alfa got their front wing design....
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Vettel165 View Post
    Well keep crying. It looks fast...
    Every F1 car on picture looks fast

One thing I noticed, most of the teams copied Ferrari's sidepod, I think Ferrari have done a near perfect car last year that's why we have a similar design this year. But yeah, that front wing will change, hope they will not copy that of Alfa Romeo's.

Well keep crying. It looks fast...
    Is it still forbiden to share an opinion? You say it looks fast, I say it looks basic. I didn't feel the need to tell you anything for that, but you did. So who is crying?

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    The whole car looks too basic honestly
    not that much though, side pods are tighter, rear wing has a complex DRS mechanism and we are yet too see close up of the rear in detail.

I expect the matte painting will look great under the Singapore and Bahrain spotlight.

I also read they have a new hydraulic suspension concept for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by theodorus8864 View Post
    I expect the matte painting will look great under the Singapore and Bahrain spotlight.
    I love the matte paint. Even the black accents look nice.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

HERE’S THE SF90
    mediacenter_

The SF90 (design code 670) is the sixty fifth single-seater built by Ferrari to compete in the Formula 1 World Championship. The car has been produced based on the new regulations, which have required various changes compared to the 2018 car. Among the most obvious changes are those to the front and rear wings. The front wing is wider and boasts simpler aerodynamic profiles, while the rear is wider and higher. The bargeboards have been reduced in height, while the front brake duct design has been simplified. The overall weight of the car increases to 743 kilos, including the driver and his kit, which must weigh a minimum of 80 kilos. The fuel allowance for the race increases from 105 to 110 kg. The SF90 is the sixth car built for Formula 1’s current hybrid era, which began in 2014.

Front wing
    The front wing is one of the most important components of the car, in that not only does it produce downforce at the front end, it also conditions the quality of airflow over the rear, which is a key factor in delivering effective aerodynamics. The 2019 regulations require a simplification of the front wing. Its width is increased to 2 metres, which is exactly the same as the track of the car, while the number of horizontal elements cannot exceed five. The vertical elements at the extremities of the wing are no longer allowed and the geometry of the endplates has been simplified. The purpose of these changes is to make the cars less sensitive to the outwash effect when following another car.

Front brake ducts
    The brake ducts are a very important component on a Formula 1 car. They are designed to cool the carbon brake discs that can reach temperatures of over a thousand degrees Celsius. Over the years, the shape of the front air ducts has become extremely sophisticated and they have evolved to also play an aerodynamic role. In 2019, this is another component that has been simplified in the regulations.

Rear wing
    Like the front wing, the rear has also been subjected to rule changes for 2019. It is higher by 70 millimetres, increasing from 800 to 870mm and wider, increasing from the previous 950 to 1050mm. The end plates are 100 mm longer and house the rear lights, which consist of a pair of LEDs at the outer edges of the rear wing, in a solution similar to the one already adopted by the FIA for LMP1 and LMP2 prototype cars. Rule changes also affect the Drag Reduction System (DRS,) which is now more effective.

Bargeboards
    The bargeboards are the side-mounted vanes that, on a current Formula 1 car help direct air flow to some specific areas of the car. Rules introduced for the 2019 season have limited the design options in this area, by reducing the area available to the designers. The maximum height for the bargeboards drops from 475 millimetres to 350 above the reference plane.

Weight
    The 2019 Formula 1 regulations see the weight of the car increase by 10 kilos from 733 to 743kg. The fuel allowance for the race increases by 5 kg from 105 to 110. In addition, the minimum weight for a driver, including the equipment and seat is set at 80 kilos. For drivers who do not reach this minimum, their cars must take on ballast, which must be fitted in the cockpit area only.

Engine cover
    The engine cover of the new Ferrari to be raced in 2019 is considerably narrower in order to improve the car’s aero efficiency. Work on refining engine components and relocation of some of its ancillaries has led to a reduction in the space taken up, thus allowing for a much more compact bodywork design. This has the advantage of cleaning the airflow to the rear wing. The air intake now has a similar shape to that found on the 2016 car, while work on the fluid-dynamics inside the car means it has the same level of cooling efficiency as the SF71H, while taking up less space.

Power Unit
    A Formula 1 Power Unit consists of six components. These are, the internal combustion engine – a 1.6 litre turbocharged V6; two motor generators, the MGU-K (Motor Generator Unit-Kinetic) and the MGU-H (Motor Generator Unit-Heat). The MGU-K is derived directly from the system known as KERS, which recovers kinetic energy under braking and stores that energy, up to a maximum of 4 MJ in the battery pack. As for the MGU-H, it recovers thermal energy from the turbo. Another element is the battery pack, where the recovered energy is stored until it is released. The sixth element is the electronic control unit. For the 2019, Ferrari 064 Power Unit, both the thermal and mechanical efficiency has continued to develop. This was achieved working on engine combustion, energy recovery and fluids. The Power Unit layout has been designed in symbiosis with the overall car design, while Energy Storage system reduced its weight and volume.

Technical Data
    Carbon fibre composite chassis, with honeycomb construction, fitted with a halo protection device over the cockpit.
    Longitudinally-mounted Ferrari gearbox with 8 speeds plus reverse.
    Semi-automatic sequential gear change, electronically controlled with rapid selection.
    Hydraulically controlled limited slip differential.
    Self-ventilating Brembo carbon disc brakes (front and rear) with electronic control system on rear brakes.
    Push-rod front suspension. Pull-rod rear suspension.
    Weight with coolant, oil and driver: 743 kg
    13” front and rear OZ wheels

Engine
    Cubic Capacity 1600cc
    Maximum rpm 15000
    Supercharging Single Turbo
    Fuel flow rate 100 kg/hr max
    Fuel allowance per race 110 kg
    Configuration V6 90°
    Bore 80 mm
    Stroke 53 mm
    Valves 4 per cylinder
    Injection Direct, max 500 bar

ERS System
    Battery energy 4 MJ
    MGU-K power 120 kW
    MGU-K max rpm 50.000
    MGU-H max rpm 125.000
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by WRX202 View Post
    not that much though, side pods are tighter, rear wing has a complex DRS mechanism and we are yet too see close up of the rear in detail.
    Agree.

Well, disappointed to say the least. It's basically the same car we had last year and compared to Merc or Bulls it seems... ordinary, simple, basic even. Hopefully underneath there's something special. But yeah... not excited by this.
    Feeling the same way - seems like last years car with a new paint job and front/rear wing. I was hoping for something more, especially seeing the new Merc. Let’s trust in Binotto I guess and hope it’s a rocket ship on wheels. Fingers crossed.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by theodorus8864 View Post
    I love the matte paint. Even the black accents look nice.

There's a reason for the matte finish or matte paint.

Having to do with the boundary layer and air molecules. That's why RedBull adopted it.

Is it me, or our car looks like a duckling compared to the Merc?

They have gone back from the larger air intake of last year to a more 'conventional' one.

The front wing is a little more like the Alpha than the others we have seen so far. Hope they are on to something here.

Also, the mirrors have been reverted to a more conventional design.
    Last edited by jragona; 15th February 2019 at 09:34.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    There's a reason for the matte finish or matte paint.

Having to do with the boundary layer and air molecules. That's why RedBull adopted it.
    Yeah, I was thinking the same. Makes the air flow stick better to the car maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    Is it me, or our car looks like a duckling compared to the Merc?
    well it looks plain if that's what you mean but I am quite certain Ferrari will launch the real aero on track especially the front wing. The mirror design looks like something I would come up with coz i suck at being creative but again, those sidepods are impressive! They look tighter than RedBull's and Binotto must have super faith in his PU capabilities if the cooling is so extreme. The rear suspension element has upgrades too.

So far what impressed me the most of all cars is the Alfa's front wing.

Hope we still have the best engine, the chassis was the main weak point last year for our car. Mainly we were lacking mechanical grip in slow corners, in there we were losing a lot of time comparing to the Mercedes, RBR. In fast flowing corners we were very fast (Silverstone, Germany, SPA)
    Last edited by Vettel165; 15th February 2019 at 09:39.

Hello SF90. Nice to see you. The launch is a special moment no matter what.
    Nobody can see how fast it is just by looking at the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by wacc View Post
    Hello SF90. Nice to see you. The launch is a special moment no matter what.
    Nobody can see how fast it is just by looking at the photos.
    indeed! I must admit last year though the car looked stunning and lived up to the expectation. This year it's a continuation on what was already great. If they sorted out the issues we had from mid season onwards with maybe an extra oomph from our awesome PU then we have a fighter for 2019 ;)

Hope we still have the best engine, the chassis was the main weak point last year for our car. Mainly we were lacking mechanical grip in slow corners, in there we were losing a lot of time comparing to the Mercedes, RBR. In fast flowing corners we were very fast (Silverstone, Germany, SPA)
    Ferrari didn't had the best engine once Mercedes introduced Spec 3. Ferrari's engine was best when both were at Spec 2. Mercedes was faster with Spec 1 and Spec 3.

nteresting that the sidepod inlets are larger this year. Weird move. I wonder what the perceived benefit is over a larger sidepod inlet/smaller airbox inlet and vise versa. Any ideas?

Also, pretty sure some innovations have been cleverly concealed. For example, why would they remove the slotted mirrors?

Looking forward to testing!

Yeah, as much as fine tuning the aero, I am looking forward to PU breakthrough. It will partly decide the battle against Mercedes.

Quote Originally Posted by JPBD View Post
    nteresting that the sidepod inlets are larger this year. Weird move. I wonder what the perceived benefit is over a larger sidepod inlet/smaller airbox inlet and vise versa. Any ideas?

Also, pretty sure some innovations have been cleverly concealed. For example, why would they remove the slotted mirrors?

extra airflow for extra horses? ;) Hence why I am so looking forward to the first run...

Quote Originally Posted by mizf1 View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking the same. Makes the air flow stick better to the car maybe?
    It's a dark art but aerodynamicists are aware of it.

So if you have a glossy paint finish, right above the surface of the paint you have displaced air molecules (boundary layer) and above that the air stream (this is while the car is in motion of course). Those displaced air molecules (boundary layer) "kick up" the air stream disrupting the laminar flow over the paint. The matte finish "traps" those air molecules in the boundary layer thereby the air stream above has a more fluid laminar flow.

extra airflow for extra horses? ;) Hence why I am so looking forward to the first run...
    Me too! Are they shaking down today at Fiorano? Or just Barcelona filming day? Must be the first time they haven’t in a loooong time

Quote Originally Posted by JPBD View Post

Testing will not be about lap times or speed traps. Sorry to disappoint. It will be about laps and mileage about 95% of the time. We might see some aero rakes and flo viz in the beginning for "new" aero bits and pieces.

Give it several races into the season to get a true indication of the speed of this new car.

Testing will not be about lap times or speed traps. Sorry to disappoint. It will be about laps and mileage about 95% of the time. We might see some aero rakes and flo viz in the beginning for "new" aero bits and pieces.

Give it several races into the season to get a true indication of the speed of this new car.
    If you know Vettel he will do a 1/2 lap at full throttle then back off so as not to give away lap times like last year. hehehe.... Am looking forward coz Monday I bet Ferrari will have a totally different front wing.

Given the high rake concept pretty much similar to RB, tight packaging. On the straights, this car looks beast.
    Don’t know abt slow corners .

If you know Vettel he will do a 1/2 lap at full throttle then back off so as not to give away lap times like last year. hehehe.... Am looking forward coz Monday I bet Ferrari will have a totally different front wing.
    We don't want to "show our cards this early in the season." Neither will the other teams. All will have the "party modes" dialed down since it's reliability that's the main issue.