Page 25 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari SF90

Quote Originally Posted by chinmay View Post
    Red Bull have historically been super strong here so it will be extremely tough to keep them behind. With Mercedes, hopefully the gap is not much more than half a second.
    so you reckon RB have a chance to win here?

You’ve got the most dominant team in the history of the sport and their only weakness was that they were putting too much temperature on the tyres, and what do they do? They introduce new tyres with an optimum operating temperature higher than what it was, and now everyone is struggling to put temperature on the tyres apart from Mercedes who became even more dominant because they don’t have weaknesses now. This sport has become a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by T99 View Post
    You’ve got the most dominant team in the history of the sport and their only weakness was that they were putting too much temperature on the tyres, and what do they do? They introduce new tyres with an optimum operating temperature higher than what it was, and now everyone is struggling to put temperature on the tyres apart from Mercedes who became even more dominant because they don’t have weaknesses now. This sport has become a joke.
    That is just an excuse, everyone tested the new 2019 tires that had reinforced side wall and thinner thread in Abu Dhabi after the last race....so they all had the data of those tires and therefore supposed to implement in the final design of the car

To me all the crying Ferrari and all teams are doing now, is just some poor excuses of sore losers....
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    That is just an excuse, everyone tested the new 2019 tires that had reinforced side wall and thinner thread in Abu Dhabi after the last race....so they all had the data of those tires and therefore supposed to implement in the final design of the car

To me all the crying Ferrari and all teams are doing now, is just some poor excuses of sore losers....
    Yes, everyone tested them - so your right about having the data needed. But you need to ask yourself, why did they (Pirelli/FIA) change the tire? If 9 out of 10 teams were ok with the current compound? Seems odd to make a change to suit 1 teams needs to me.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

To me, Ferrari have built a car this season similar to Williams in 2014, when the car was fast on the straights....way fast we than the Merc by quite a margin, but had very little downforce through the corners....well that’s what ferrari is this year, and that overall lap time will not get you on POLE unless you make 2s or more in the straights to offset the loss you gonna have through the corners, which it does seem to happen at the moment.

So ferrari needs to slap some more dirty downforce on the car ASAP and maybe that will close the gap to Merc
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    Yes, everyone tested them - so your right about having the data needed. But you need to ask yourself, why did they (Pirelli/FIA) change the tire? If 9 out of 10 teams were ok with the current compound? Seems odd to make a change to suit 1 teams needs to me.

They chanced the tires by making the sidewall stiffer in order to cope with the higher downforce produced by the new larger front and rear wings, because last thing we wanted was tire blowouts due to them being weaker

Binotto's role has now, prior to the Canadian race weekend, been recognized as solely "team principal" while Mekies is now recognized as "head of track activities" and "sporting director". So Mekies has now two roles instead of Binotto having the same? Well, at least some others are in charge at Maranello. Other roles below.

Track

Claudio Albertini, head of track operations
    Matteo Togninalli, head of track engineering
    Luigi Fraboni, head of engine operations
    Inaki Rueda, head of strategy
    Christian Corradini, chief mechanic

Maranello

Enrico Cardile, chassis
    David Sanchez, aerodynamics
    Enrico Gualtieri, engines

Don't know if the below is good though.

Ahead of this weekend's race in Montreal, Binotto said in an interview with Gazzetta dello Sport that Ferrari no longer has its "famous classical horizontal structure".

"We have identified four or five figures that have become my points of reference in the various areas," he said.

Yes everybody tested them but the tyres didn’t suit any of the other teams except for Mercedes so everyone else had to work a lot harder than Mercedes to make these tyres work, and we’re 6 races in and nobody can make the tyres work except Mercedes, even red bull the kings of downforce are complaining, as I said they’re just making the life of the most dominant team ever even easier

Yes everybody tested them but the tyres didn’t suit any of the other teams except for Mercedes so everyone else had to work a lot harder than Mercedes to make these tyres work, and we’re 6 races in and nobody can make the tyres work except Mercedes, even red bull the kings of downforce are complaining, as I said they’re just making the life of the most dominant team ever even easier
    Yes, absolutely.
    Binotto wants the 2018 tires back and he is right.
    He may be supported by the rest of the teams.
    It is time to be political.

Merc's grip on Pirelli is millions $$$ of times stronger than just their $$ relation in F-1 . Millions of Merc cars leave the factory dressed in Pirelli tires. A great post by "ferrari1.8t ' clearly reminded me of that.

Some is talking about incompetency, they should know the facts. Just blindly saying $$$ for every return post.
    Here is actual statement, I think we could hear the same from other teams as well except mercs.

[AMuS] Mattia Binotto thinks that Pirelli should reconsider their tyre policy. He demands a return to tyres with thicker treads.

"The tyres don't overheat any more and therefore there is almost no tyre wear. All GPs are one-stop races. That's bad for the show."

As I told you all last year after the Barcelona post-race test that Seb wasn't telling the whole truth when he said they were struggling more on the thicker thread tyres. He left out that one important thing that Merc were struggling even more relatively to other teams. Meaning Mercs performance dropped more when going from the "special" thinner thread (Barcelona race tyre) to the thicker thread which was then going to be used at every race except for Barcelona, Paul Ricard and Silverstone.

So when Binotto now hints that Pirelli should consider their tyre policy, especially for next year, he isn't thinking about Ferrari gaining performance but rather that Merc will lose out more than the other nine teams, like last year. Had Kimi not knocked out Lewis at the start at Silverstone then Merc whould have won all those three races easily.

Quote Originally Posted by 512 TR View Post
    As I told you all last year after the Barcelona post-race test that Seb wasn't telling the whole truth when he said they were struggling more on the thicker thread tyres. He left out that one important thing that Merc were struggling even more relatively to other teams. Meaning Mercs performance dropped more when going from the "special" thinner thread (Barcelona race tyre) to the thicker thread which was then going to be used at every race except for Barcelona, Paul Ricard and Silverstone.

So when Binotto now hints that Pirelli should consider their tyre policy, especially for next year, he isn't thinking about Ferrari gaining performance but rather that Merc will lose out more than the other nine teams, like last year. Had Kimi not knocked out Lewis at the start at Silverstone then Merc whould have won all those three races easily.
    +111

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Merc's grip on Pirelli is millions $$$ of times stronger than just their $$ relation in F-1 . Millions of Merc cars leave the factory dressed in Pirelli tires. A great post by "ferrari1.8t ' clearly reminded me of that.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    +111
    I would also like to add that unlike last year I don't want to put all the blame for Mercs domination this year on the tyres (judging by those three races last year). Last year I was against it because they introduced the change after the season had already started (pre-season testing). Ferrari (and other teams) knew as early as autumn last year the thinner thread would be used at all races this year. They had a lot of time to adjust their development of the 2019 packages. Maybe some teams did that more so than others (McLaren seem more competitive this year). Ferrari on the other hand maybe didn't. Not because they didn't know how but maybe they knew all along they would lobby to bring back the 2018 tyres for 2020. So maybe the design of the SF90 has that very thing in mind. If the FIA and Pirelli bring back the 2018 tyes for 2020 then maybe the base design of the SF90, which will carry over to next year's car, will work better with those thicker thread tyres? And most importantly, Merc will maybe lose out more so than other teams. "Lose out" may actually not be an accurate description as they will probably be just as strong as 2018 but the gap between Merc and Ferrari/RBR will close up in order to have closer races and championships. If that's the case, and the above things happen, then this year is just one giant testing session.

The hard points of next year's cars are made around April / May the previous year. Thus will dictate general traits. Pirelli tyres always over heat so you design to cool. This year only Merc is designed to heat up rather than control the heat down. In May 2018 this was not apparent, to go against 7 years of Pirelli tyre traits in setting the performance traits of your car means you know something others don't. It's like insider trading. 9 teams will be happy to change back to last year's tyres, the tell tail sign Merc have yet again played a blinder off track is they will be the only team that will be furious. If they do this for 2nd half of the year Merc may well be fighting to stay 5th and 6th every race. We can but hope.

Well at the moment only 1 team is benefeting from the tyres if that's healthy for f1 then I am the 3rd driver for Ferrari. Liberty media have billions invested in the commercial rights they will protect there investment.If push comes to shove mercedes or not change will happen.Liberty media are sweating on a Ferrari turn around you can put the house on it and Canada has put somewhat of a smile on there face that this is the beginning of an exiting f1 season for the remainder of the year .with out Ferrari firing you don't have f1 and liberty with a one sided affair will watch a fortune dwindle down the drain seriously I do not think so .Stay tuned the rumblings will intensify.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Well at the moment only 1 team is benefeting from the tyres if that's healthy for f1 then I am the 3rd driver for Ferrari. Liberty media have billions invested in the commercial rights they will protect there investment.If push comes to shove mercedes or not change will happen.Liberty media are sweating on a Ferrari turn around you can put the house on it and Canada has put somewhat of a smile on there face that this is the beginning of an exiting f1 season for the remainder of the year .with out Ferrari firing you don't have f1 and liberty with a one sided affair will watch a fortune dwindle down the drain seriously I do not think so .Stay tuned the rumblings will intensify.

@mark, thanks, very interesting information,I really miss your posts

Quote Originally Posted by mark p View Post
    The hard points of next year's cars are made around April / May the previous year. Thus will dictate general traits. Pirelli tyres always over heat so you design to cool. This year only Merc is designed to heat up rather than control the heat down. In May 2018 this was not apparent, to go against 7 years of Pirelli tyre traits in setting the performance traits of your car means you know something others don't. It's like insider trading. 9 teams will be happy to change back to last year's tyres, the tell tail sign Merc have yet again played a blinder off track is they will be the only team that will be furious. If they do this for 2nd half of the year Merc may well be fighting to stay 5th and 6th every race. We can but hope.

Its funny in a way because Lewis absolutely hates these tyres and prefers the old tyres as he struggles in Q with these tyres too. Bottas loves them. I guess one could say bring back old tyres and Lewis walks the championship even dominantly. The only way for Ferrari is to get off their backside and work on the damn car!!

Quote Originally Posted by Come View Post
    Its funny in a way because Lewis absolutely hates these tyres and prefers the old tyres as he struggles in Q with these tyres too. Bottas loves them. I guess one could say bring back old tyres and Lewis walks the championship even dominantly. The only way for Ferrari is to get off their backside and work on the damn car!!
    Never saw lewis saying, I hate these tyres or go back to old tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Never saw lewis saying, I hate these tyres or go back to old tyres.
    Of course he didn't. He actually said the opposite last year when he wanted the same thinner thread tyres to be brought to Austria as well.

Hamilton: Pirelli should’ve brought thinner tyres to Austria
    https://www.racefans.net/2018/07/02/...tria-hamilton/

“They should’ve brought the other tyre here, the same tyres we had in the last race (my remark: Paul Ricard),” said Hamilton after the race.
    He also said Pirelli should have brought the thinner thread tyres to all races last year. Can't find the article now and I won't link to aut*sp*rt.

Quote Originally Posted by 512 TR View Post
    Of course he didn't. He actually said the opposite last year when he wanted the same thinner thread tyres to be brought to Austria as well.

Hamilton: Pirelli should’ve brought thinner tyres to Austria
    https://www.racefans.net/2018/07/02/...tria-hamilton/

He also said Pirelli should have brought the thinner thread tyres to all races last year. Can't find the article now and I won't link to aut*sp*rt.
    Yeah...I saw him & toto saying if we could use the changed tyres (which they won) going forward.

At least he recognizes they went the wrong way ... https://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrar...atch-mercedes/

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Prayers for that to be true

I would've posted this over the weekend but was busy with the 87th LeMans and finally caught up on some sleep.

Congrats to AF Corsa..it was close with the Vette the last 3 hrs. Forza.

update before FrenchP

[AMuS]

Mattia Binotto: "Restructuring at Ferrari is no response to problems."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D9KgH8NWkAAMOlw.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D9KgH8GXUAAyeUQ.jpg

[AMuS]

"3 updates instead of a B-Version!"

Mattia Binotto explains why Ferrari cannot win at the moment and how the problems with the car and the tyres should be solved. There won't be a B-Version of the SF90 with a new concept.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D9KdZR1XsAAey7A.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D9KdZR2XoAAaZ37.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D9KdZR0X4AEqHaA.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D9KdZR3WwAAD8Ce.jpg

[it.motorsport]

The SF90 will have a totally rebalanced aerodynamic configuration. It’s the result of a long verification work which has revealed some discrepancies between what had emerged in the simulator/development in the wind tunnel and the feedback on track.

Why Ferrari feels a bit optimistic? Apparently the first indications coming from the simulator confirmed the correct direction of the work done. We will see if the respond on track will be the same. Ferrari hopes to be closer to Mercedes in Paul Ricard.

"We will also see a new front wing on the Ferrari SF90, capable of generating more downforce without betraying the outwash philosphy."
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Every year correlation problems with the wind tunnel......

Not this year just wrong design philosophy.
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Let's see if Binotto can turn things around, after all Mercedes is still baffled by our engine power performance.
    Avanti
    Last edited by Ferrari312T4; 17th June 2019 at 23:12.