Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223

Thread: 2019 Australian GP: Practices and Qualifying

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    It must be the engine, we did lose 0.342 in Sector 1 and there are 3 "long" straights.
    If you are compromised in the corner through understeer could that compromise your acceleration at the start of the straight

Ferrari only 6 tenths faster than Haas considering all the aero praises doesn't seem legit. Problem today means it will be same tomorrow but Bahrain should hopefully be better. Pace in the car cannot miraculously disappear. All will be well in Bahrain. I hope for a Ferrari 1-2 in Bahrain qualifying.

If their is. Design issue with the engine, why has it only effected Ferrari and not the others.

If it is a isolated reliability component on a car, why has if effected both Ferrari’s

I think the problem is coming from the PU. I believe Grosjean and Kimi reported issues with their cars. Kimi was losing power/RPM. That would support Ferrari running their PU in a "safe mode."

The only problem with this is how do you fix it when the engine upgrades are 5 or so races away.
    Our strategies better be on point in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by evo_spook View Post
    If you are compromised in the corner through understeer could that compromise your acceleration at the start of the straight
    True, but Seb said that car was good, and watching that video you posted, Seb was faster after T 10 and before and after T 13.

This forum is for a clean healthy discussion on f1 and Ferrari cleanly discussing the pros and cons keep it out of the gutter the formula 1 drivers would be shocked at some of the posts on this forum ladies and gentlemen I conclude it is not a good look smarten up we all better than this enjoy the race I know I will regardless of the result.

The scenario of this weekend at least until quali is pretty much the same as last year, about 6-7 tenth to mercedes like last year.

The SF90 being an evolution of last year car doesn t play to our strenght on this track for whathever compromise on the set up they need.

Tomorrow is going to be hard without a safety car or something happening to Mercedes tires.

In Bahrein, all the pessimistics on this forum will be praising the red car mark my word.

This year if Vettel keeps the mistakes at a minimum and the car keeps getting better on the slow medium stuff.

He will be the champion.

I'll just leave this here. Look at the gap in 2018 and we all know how it went afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yeah I heard that, I’m not sure.
    1. That would smack of incompetence and Binotti doesn’t seem that. Plus if they had they wouldn’t be shocked at their performance.

Personally I think it’s down to the track. Tight corners and what darkchild said that wasn’t displayed in testing.
    Go to another track and they’ll either be level or on top.

I also think Merc have improved and the track suits them.

If it’s still the same after 2 more races then panic
    If Binotto was really shocked, then I think Ferrari are in big trouble... if there really are reliability concerns, then there's no reason to be shocked.... but if it really is true that he is shocked then it could represent a larger problem....
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by WRX202 View Post
    I'll just leave this here. Look at the gap in 2018 and we all know how it went afterwards. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ff03cf011a.jpg

I touched on that in an early post. Although this race looks like it won't be ours, having Bottas in 2nd playing rear gunner and our boys just 3rd and 5th. Our only chance is to get Bottas early and keep pressure on Hamilton. Australia is a specific circuit and we have done well last year after Australia, grabbing pole the next race so I am not overly concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    If Binotto was really shocked, then I think Ferrari are in big trouble... if there really are reliability concerns, then there's no reason to be shocked.... but if it really is true that he is shocked then it could represent a larger problem....
    The shocked bit I was referring to the shaking of head at qualifying and despondent Seb afterwards.
    If they turned their engine down surly they couldn’t have being so over confident not to expect to be on 2nd row, they’d have just shrugged.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    I touched on that in an early post. Although this race looks like it won't be ours, having Bottas in 2nd playing rear gunner and our boys just 3rd and 5th. Our only chance is to get Bottas early and keep pressure on Hamilton. Australia is a specific circuit and we have done well last year after Australia, grabbing pole the next race so I am not overly concerned.
    Only problem with that is Max

Only problem with that is Max
    This. I think there is a genuine chance that this year Max will steal the show and give Hamilton a good run for this money.

If you look, we are not loosing in the corners, only on the straights and acceleration and few corners, braking. Which means, its engine and tires. I also think, because are not putting much energy into the tiers, the tiers are not getting into the optimal temperature. The teams knows why, they are just not telling exactly why. I am think it is engine related mainly, maybe they found a problem with the engine and maybe they are working on a fix.

The problem could be an intermittent one they can be difficult to find and usually are of an electronic nature therefore resulting in a difficult unresponsive drive combine that to a road circuit and not a f1 track then you have a 2 tier issue find the problem and the road circuit will come back to the car making for a better balanced and exit speed around corners electronics my BMW had electronic issues in the computer e.g. pu and boy did it effect the drive in many ways until it was found .Ps the car is gone.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    The problem could be an intermittent one they can be difficult to find and usually are of an electronic nature therefore resulting in a difficult unresponsive drive combine that to a road circuit and not a f1 track then you have a 2 tier issue find the problem and the road circuit will come back to the car making for a better balanced and exit speed around corners electronics my BMW had electronic issues in the computer e.g. pu and boy did it effect the drive in many ways until it was found .Ps the car is gone.

???????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Smintlemon View Post
    ???????????????
    Lol I thought same thing but I still drive a BMW and yeah I wish it was just the electronics my car messes up. No way am comparing my German car to the pinnacle of F1 and Ferrari though hehehe....

I mentioned earlier that our practice starts where far from good so that is going to hurt us tomorrow, not the race pace. Getting stuck behind butler-Bottas and mad-Max will mess everything for the red boys.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    Another thing I noticed is that Vettel's p3 is actually slower then Hamiltons pole time of 2018. Now we all know that the cars eventually run much quicker by end of season due to upgrades let alone start the year after slower than 2018!
    Something was not right and the engine thing might be real, even the fact max split our cars on the grid. There's no way Honda matches our PU just yet. Binotto himself emphasised that this car is an evolution not a revolution, an upgraded 2018 car so it wouldn't make sense we perform worse than the pervious year. Yes the fia tried to slow the cars with wider wings but that was overcome since day one.

Only sector we improved was S3 which improved by ALOT. its actually good news as this was our weakness and it was part that looked weakest when compared to current Merc.

Quote Originally Posted by WRX202 View Post
    Another thing I noticed is that Vettel's p3 is actually slower then Hamiltons pole time of 2018. Now we all know that the cars eventually run much quicker by end of season due to upgrades let alone start the year after slower than 2018!
    Something was not right and the engine thing might be real, even the fact max split our cars on the grid. There's no way Honda matches our PU just yet. Binotto himself emphasised that this car is an evolution not a revolution, an upgraded 2018 car so it wouldn't make sense we perform worse than the pervious year. Yes the fia tried to slow the cars with wider wings but that was overcome since day one.

They have changed the rules, making the cars slower. It is though that current cars should be 1,5s slower than last year. Teams have managed, through progress development, to cut that 1.5s down and even go faster. On our side, it is clear the car isn't as fast as predicted. Mercedes aside, we are having problems with RBR, which was not to be expected so early in the season. I do remain hopefull looking at last year. In Qualy we were about the same down on Hamilton and Verstappen was within a tenth or two, so similar to this situation. We were better in the race and the next one we won with pole.

Finally got to see Qualy. Wow, that was awkward. So much for being .3 ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by h3ro View Post
    I'm over it. You should know however, if you're unaware, that in many parts of the world, including the Midwestern and Southern US, ratboy is a common phrase used to demean those with brown skin. Basically a 'safe' way to use the N word.
    You're kidding right? I have never heard of that as a racist slur toward blacks people. Stop seeing racism where it doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I only picked up on the Binotto reaction because Brundle mentioned it during commentary. So I don't really put anything into it. For now, I think it's more a Merc gain than a Ferrari loss. Merc has one lap pace over us but I think the SF90 is a better race car. If there was something up with the engine then this would have propped up the Merc advantage. That Merc is on a thin rope; it will be interesting to see how it handles a full tank.

p.s. I don't get why so many of us feel humiliated, etc. The defending champions have come out strong--what were they expecting?

The shocked bit I was referring to the shaking of head at qualifying and despondent Seb afterwards.
    If they turned their engine down surly they couldn’t have being so over confident not to expect to be on 2nd row, they’d have just shrugged.
    I took the Seb reaction differently: frustration at not having the ability to begin the season as strong as is possible. I hope he has learned from last year and does not get eaten up by his emotions during the race. Charles, I hope he calls on his patience, keeps his nose clean at the start, and trusts in his talent.

All in all, hoping for maximum points today. Still think that a win or double podium is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by killer View Post
    I only picked up on the Binotto reaction because Brundle mentioned it during commentary. So I don't really put anything into it. For now, I think it's more a Merc gain than a Ferrari loss. Merc has one lap pace over us but I think the SF90 is a better race car. If there was something up with the engine then this would have propped up the Merc advantage. That Merc is on a thin rope; it will be interesting to see how it handles a full tank.

p.s. I don't get why so many of us feel humiliated, etc. The defending champions have come out strong--what were they expecting?
    I honestly thought the Binotto shaking his head thing was because one of our drivers made a mistake. Could be wrong though.
    Our strategies better be on point in 2019.