Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: China: Free Practice and Qualifying

Quote Originally Posted by Formula 1 fan View Post
    That is kind of a "I don't know what the car is doing, but I can't drive it." answer. Ferrari has been good in both 2017 & 2018. Leclerc and Vettel dominated Bahrain and then Vettel dropped it.

Did Hamilton threw away the title in 2007? No, absolutely not. He was a rookie and barely made any mistake. Before you call on China, that was mostly due to the team refusing to pit.
    Hamilton didn't threw the title away in 2012 either. Mclaren was very fast, but the team messed up and it broke down 3 times. Hamilton didn't do anything wrong that year. Vettel had the better car and team.

In 2016 Hamilton didn't really throw away the title. He made a couple of mistakes and could have won the title if he was perfect. But on the other side his car broke down a lot in the race and qualify or even before the race begon.
    As expected. All hail Lord Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by chinmay View Post
    AMuS:
    Amus said Ferrari was the best car and their engine was the most powerful, they are right about that as well?

but there is another explanation, Vettel is struggling to get more out of the Ferrari. Just look at Leclerc, he was dominating Bahrain. It could be that Ferrari is tricky to drive, like RBR is. Vettel has always been a driver that needed his car to be perfect.

As expected. All hail Lord Lewis.
    So what about Vettel's mistakes last year then? I think you don't realize the irony in your comments.
    But try me, how did Hamilton throw away the title in 2007 and 2012?

Amus said Ferrari was the best car and their engine was the most powerful, they are right about that as well?

but there is another explanation, Vettel is struggling to get more out of the Ferrari. Just look at Leclerc, he was dominating Bahrain. It could be that Ferrari is tricky to drive, like RBR is. Vettel has always been a driver that needed his car to be perfect.

So what about Vettel's mistakes last year then? I think you don't realize the irony in your comments.
    But try me, how did Hamilton throw away the title in 2007 and 2012?
    How with making the biggest mistake of the season in China 2007, also Fuji come into the mind, in 2012 his car was fast, but had many reliability issues. In 2010 he had a very quick race car, but lost the WDC because of his mistakes in Monza (lost at least 18 points), because of first lap crash, Singapore he crashed with Webber, thats at least 25-30 points lost together, which cost him the title. And if I include mistake at Korea (2010), a slide in rainy conditions, which cost him again another 14 points to Alonso.

The same can be said sadly for Seb in 2018 that he lost his title because of many errors. In 2017 his car was lacking pace in the second part of the season, he was strong for the entire season.

Quote Originally Posted by Vettel165 View Post
    How with making the biggest mistake of the season in China 2007, also Fuji come into the mind, in 2012 his car was fast, but had many reliability issues. In 2010 he had a very quick race car, but lost the WDC because of his mistakes in Monza (lost at least 18 points), because of first lap crash, Singapore he crashed with Webber, thats at least 25-30 points lost together, which cost him the title. And if I include mistake at Korea (2010), a slide in rainy conditions, which cost him again another 14 points to Alonso.

The same can be said sadly for Seb in 2018 that he lost his title because of many errors. In 2017 his car was lacking pace in the second part of the season, he was strong for the entire season.
    I admit it was a mistake, but he was begging the team to pit him for new tyres. You could see the rims coming threw the tyres. Hamilton won Fuji 2007. In 2010 Mclaren was very fast indeed, but RBR was overal much better. Vettel made mistakes which gave Alonso and Hamilton an opportunity to challenge for the title. He did make a mistake in Monza, but he was only in the title hunt because of his driving and Vettel's mistakes.
    Korea cost him 7 points, not 14. Didn't matter if he would finish ahead of Alonso or not.
    But Vettel made more mistakes that year. Turkey, Spa, Silverstone, Hungary.

But you are right, if you purely look at Hamilton, his mistakes cost him the title. But the car was not good enough for the title anyway.

Vettel has been very error prone, brilliant driver for sure, but to hasty. 2017 could have been his. Maybe the car was not the best, but it was really close. AMUS has theorized it was the better car. But mistakes like Baku, Singapore, Canada were just 2 much. The 2007-2013 was much better(even though he was more error prone.) and it looks like he can't cope with other drivers being able to get close to him. Hamilton and Max are currently standing out and push Vettel beyond his comfortzone. He has to calm down and come back to the pre 2014 Vettel, then we will have a season. Even if Ferrari is faster, Max and Hamilton can make up for it.

I say bring it on.

I admit it was a mistake, but he was begging the team to pit him for new tyres. You could see the rims coming threw the tyres. Hamilton won Fuji 2007. In 2010 Mclaren was very fast indeed, but RBR was overal much better. Vettel made mistakes which gave Alonso and Hamilton an opportunity to challenge for the title. He did make a mistake in Monza, but he was only in the title hunt because of his driving and Vettel's mistakes.
    Korea cost him 7 points, not 14. Didn't matter if he would finish ahead of Alonso or not.

But you are right, if you purely look at Hamilton, his mistakes cost him the title. But the car was not good enough for the title anyway.

Vettel has been very error prone, brilliant driver for sure, but to hasty. 2017 could have been his. Maybe the car was not the best, but it was really close. AMUS has theorized it was the better car. But mistakes like Baku, Singapore, Canada were just 2 much. The 2007-2013 was much better(even though he was more error prone.) and it looks like he can't cope with other drivers being able to get close to him. Hamilton and Max are currently standing out and push Vettel beyond his comfortzone. He has to calm down and come back to the pre 2014 Vettel, then we will have a season. Even if Ferrari is faster, Max and Hamilton can make up for it.

I say bring it on.

Good to see you think the truth and reality is so funny. Can you point out where I was wrong?

I say bring it on.
    In many ways i agree with your post. We are thinking the same. But you are only so good as is your mashinery, you dont have a shot for the title even in the best car if you dont have a big talent for driving. This how life in f1 is.

Quote Originally Posted by Vettel165 View Post
    In many ways i agree with your post. We are thinking the same.
    Great, lets hope for a good race this weekend. Cheers mate.

86 LAPS FOR SEB AND CHARLES
    ferrari-media

Shanghai, 12 April 2019 – It was a busy Friday in China for Scuderia Ferrari Mission Winnow. On the Shanghai circuit, Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc worked fine tuning the set-up for Saturday qualifying which starts at 14.00 (8.00 CET) and Sunday’s race at 14.10 (8.10 CET).

During the first free practice session the two SF90s ran on the Medium compound tyres. Sebastian set a best time of 1’33”911 (19 laps completed) and Charles posted a 1’34”167 (21 laps). In the afternoon, the drivers tried the other two compounds. Sebastian Vettel did a 1’33”357 on the softest rubber, good enough for the second fastest time of the day, just 27 thousandths off Valtteri Bottas. The German then did race simulation work with a high fuel load and the hardest tyres brought to China by Pirelli.

Unfortunately, Charles Leclerc encountered traffic when running the Soft tyres setting a fastest time of 1’34”158. The Monegasque driver was unable to go for his long run because the team opted to keep him in the garage to carry out checks on the cooling system of his SF90 as the engineers had raised doubts about it. Therefore Charles did just 13 laps, while between them the two cars totalled 86.

Tomorrow gets underway with one more hour of free practice at 11.00 (5.00 CET) prior to the afternoon qualifying session. The Chinese race will be the one thousandth Grand Prix in the history of Formula 1.

Sebastian Vettel #5: “Overall it was a positive day. We still have to do some homework, the picture is a bit similar to Bahrain, where we were competitive. There are some parts of the track where we are very strong and others where we still have to improve. I expect it to be very close tomorrow and also on Sunday, so it will be key to keep working to improve the feeling with the car.”

Charles Leclerc #16: “I got a good feeling from the SF90 today. There is still a bit of work to do in terms of the balance, but overall I’m pleased with the work we did. It’s a shame I wasn’t able to do a long run test, because it would have been useful for the race, but I’m not worried about that. We have all the information we need to do well and now, it’s just a case of putting everything together for qualifying, especially as I expect it to be very close between us and our competitors.”
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Mercedes has an advantage in the slow corners because they use the rear steering system with the brakes. It gets activated under certain speed, when slowing down, they cannot use it in fast corners because, if they do, the rear will slide out. The system uses maybe 3 or 4% brake power to brake the inner wheel in the corner to turn the car. That is another reason why you can see the car hop, the tire hop in the corners, because the rear brakes turn the more, creating lateral movement or yaw. You can see it in the entry into some of the slow corners, their entry speed is very high, but the car keeps reducing speed up to the apex. Ferrari on the other than does most of their braking in a straight line, then turn in, still a bit of brakes applied, but the car does not turn as much. It is not the tier grip or mechanical grip, it is the rear brake steer.

ready for FP3 then quali
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    ready for FP3 then quali
    watching fp3.....not sure i'll hang around for quali.....i will PVR it and watch it in the morning....feeling pretty sleepy....lol
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    watching fp3.....not sure i'll hang around for quali.....i will PVR it and watch it in the morning....feeling pretty sleepy....lol
    I slept at 5pm and got up at 9pm...so I'm refreshed.

I slept at 5pm and got up at 9pm...so I'm refreshed.
    ah, you lucky bugger....ha, ha...
    i'm having a hard time keeping my eyes open.....i wished i would have taken a nap earlier....oh well, i'll just watch quali tomorrow
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Ferrari adds more wing for more downforce

Ferrari adds more wing for more downforce
    That’s a little bit concern, it compromises straight line speed.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    not really, it just makes us a bit faster in the corners....which we lacked in fp1 and fp2

we'll see

they were talking about that yesterday. This track is funny where you need more downforce because of the corners....it makes up for straight line speed in the times.

slow start for this session

Only the Williams cars are out...for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    slow start for this session
    More for Leclerc...!!

Quote Originally Posted by mardyrt View Post
    Mercedes has an advantage in the slow corners because they use the rear steering system with the brakes. It gets activated under certain speed, when slowing down, they cannot use it in fast corners because, if they do, the rear will slide out. The system uses maybe 3 or 4% brake power to brake the inner wheel in the corner to turn the car. That is another reason why you can see the car hop, the tire hop in the corners, because the rear brakes turn the more, creating lateral movement or yaw. You can see it in the entry into some of the slow corners, their entry speed is very high, but the car keeps reducing speed up to the apex. Ferrari on the other than does most of their braking in a straight line, then turn in, still a bit of brakes applied, but the car does not turn as much. It is not the tier grip or mechanical grip, it is the rear brake steer.
    So what is RB doing? They are a bit faster as well, and they dont use that trick.

Quote Originally Posted by darkchild View Post
    So what is RB doing? They are a bit faster as well, and they dont use that trick.
    honda engine mate......lol

Max reaction after vet’s lap time

Wow sky F1 shows merc cars from start of their lap.... but not for ferrari. Such a biased ...

Is Seb happy with the car now?

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    Is Seb happy with the car now?
    good time but on soft tire

Max reaction after vet’s lap time
    ya saw that too