Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 2019 China GP: Race

Quote Originally Posted by Vittorio View Post
    I agree that Leclerc is doing a great job, all things considered. I'm very proud of him and very glad he's in the team.

This ongoing obsession by Ferrari's management and pitwall to keep making Vettel the de facto #1 is both strategically stupid and frankly undeserved. It makes me very angry because, no, I do not believe it is in the team's best interest to keep backing Vettel as the 'lead' driver. And to insist on doing it so early in the championship too. Ridiculous.

I'm frankly worried that an ambitious, super talented young star like Leclerc is just going to get demotivated if the team keeps deferring to Vettel. And that's not good for Ferrari.

My only hope is that Vettel leaves Ferrari at the end of this season, so that Leclerc can then be given free rein to be the excellent and smart racer that he is.

This 'second fiddle' nonsense was (barely) befitting of a Raikkonen in the decline of his career - it is NOT befitting of a superstar in the making such as Leclerc.
    In 2007 McLaren didn't prioritize the older more experienced drivers over a rookie. As a result they lost the WDC by a single point. Leclerc will be fine. This is a team sport, he is still a rookie and this is his first year with the team. He can play second fiddle until it's his tern.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    In 2007 McLaren didn't prioritize the older more experienced drivers over a rookie. As a result they lost the WDC by a single point. Leclerc will be fine. This is a team sport, he is still a rookie and this is his first year with the team. He can play second fiddle until it's his tern.
    They lost 2007 title due to reliability issues and team mistakes. They left Hamilton out for too long on a drying track in China which destroyed his intermediate tyres, and Hamilton had an engine issue in Brazil which dropped him to the back.

Ferrari should back the faster driver. And Leclerc is only one point behind Vettel, after two team order and one equipment failure.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    They lost 2007 title due to reliability issues and team mistakes. They left Hamilton out for too long on a drying track in China which destroyed his intermediate tyres, and Hamilton had an engine issue in Brazil which dropped him to the back.

Ferrari should back the faster driver. And Leclerc is only one point behind Vettel, after two team order and one equipment failure.
    Ferrari certainly had their share of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    Ferrari certainly had their share of those.
    Absolutely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBGItBJEEeI
    Last edited by Vettel165; 18th April 2019 at 07:13.

Vettel is a 4x champion and can't get a WDC, WCC for himself and Ferrari since he's with them. This is a team sport for sure Let Charles have the shot at #1 driver and have Seb play second fiddle until he gets back to being a #1 driver. Ferrari needs to priortize the new talent until Seb comes around. Merc is racking up points real early so far.

It could be true. Max and Hamilton have raised their games again this year and Vettel seems to be left hanging. With Leclerc showing to be on Vettel's pace, Ferrari could switch and support him instead of Vettel.
    During his RBR years he looked untouchable, but it could be the RBR was just much better. He has made to many mistakes and is not the driver he was in his first couple of years in RBR. He still is one of the best, but Hamilton and Max are better I think.

But I hope Ferrari will figure it all out and can put Mercedes under pressure, even as a Hamilton fan it is boring to watch F1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Vettel is a 4x champion and can't get a WDC, WCC for himself and Ferrari since he's with them. This is a team sport for sure Let Charles have the shot at #1 driver and have Seb play second fiddle until he gets back to being a #1 driver. Ferrari needs to priortize the new talent until Seb comes around. Merc is racking up points real early so far.
    Why don't we sign up Brembo for racking up wins and lots of points?

Quote Originally Posted by Formula 1 fan View Post
    It could be true. Max and Hamilton have raised their games again this year and Vettel seems to be left hanging. With Leclerc showing to be on Vettel's pace, Ferrari could switch and support him instead of Vettel.
    During his RBR years he looked untouchable, but it could be the RBR was just much better. He has made to many mistakes and is not the driver he was in his first couple of years in RBR. He still is one of the best, but Hamilton and Max are better I think.

But I hope Ferrari will figure it all out and can put Mercedes under pressure, even as a Hamilton fan it is boring to watch F1 like this.
    Please tell it to McLaren who said their car was faster than Red Bull but Vettel was driving much better than Hamilton. Hamilton's own McLaren team praised rival driver and called Seb brilliant but let's not allow facts come in the way of Hamilton worship.

Seb shaved his moustache, looks like now we can get some rear downforce back to the car and some new unlocked perfomance in the making.

For a good start of the day here you go, a fantastic first Seb win in Ferrari back in 2015 (Malaysia). The only driver who could take the fight to the Mercedes.

https://archive.org/details/overtake...ian.Grand.Prix
    Last edited by Vettel165; 18th April 2019 at 09:20.

Quote Originally Posted by chinmay View Post
    Please tell it to McLaren who said their car was faster than Red Bull but Vettel was driving much better than Hamilton. Hamilton's own McLaren team praised rival driver and called Seb brilliant but let's not allow facts come in the way of Hamilton worship.
    McLaren also said that they have the best chassis in 2016. Just saying

You keep going to that quote from 1 man 8 years ago when Lewis had a bad year in 2011...Vettel was driving great, but his car was great as well. The irony is that you talk about worship, because you worship Vettel as the best ever...
    Based on last 2 years, either Vettel has gotten a lot worse since 2013 or RBR was much better. Ferrari was the better car last year and was arguably better in 2017 as well, Vettel lost the title both years to Hamilton. If he is as good as you claim, why did he make all those mistakes and threw way the title?

Besides stating the obvious, no one is denying that this is a team sport - which is my point exactly. Backing one driver as the de facto #1 this early in the championship is just not smart from a team's perspective. Any strategist worth their salt will tell you that. And, no, Vettel has not proven his ability to shoulder (or deserve) that responsibility since joining Ferrari. Anything but - particularly last year.

Even having Kimi as his lapdog in 2018 (never mind since Vettel joined the Scuderia) didn't make a shred of difference to Vettel's 2018 performance in the end. On the contrary, all it did was frustrate Kimi at certain races. And I'll wager it even put more pressure on Vettel to deliver the goods - and we all know how well that went.

McLaren in 2007 looks good on paper but is in fact a very poor analogy regarding team orders. It was a team beset with horrific team dynamics, thanks to Alonso and his enormous ego, Ron Dennis and his equally enormous ego, and Hamilton, who had a frankly terrific season for a rookie in F1. The politics at McLaren that year was through the roof. And there was the little matter of Stepneygate, don't forget. The team dynamic at Ferrari this year is neither as political nor is it toxic (yet...and please may it never be) and Vettel and Leclerc are completely different personalities when compared to Alonso and Hamilton.

Oh, and the word is "turn," not "tern". I know you're a Trump supporter with MAGA on your mind, but do try to keep up.
    Last edited by Vittorio; 18th April 2019 at 15:17.

true, and also mediocre pitwall/management it seems..
    I actually think the car looks fairly good, although not as all-out amazing as many pundits believed after winter testing - unfortunately.

But it's Ferrari's management and pitwall that continues to be inept. When will that ever improve?

Boy, do I miss the days when Todt and Brawn were leading the team.

Good idea! Sign me up so I can cut Charles loose from #2 to #1, so he has a real shot at winning, points poles, and races . All of 2018 and 3 races this season with Seb in control, Merc wrecked Ferrari. They are even letting Bottas shame Ferrari on the track. There's still time!!

Whoa play nicely.
    To be fair to both of them why not let them just race............. the more points they clock up will help us to get a shout at the WCC. Only restriction do not take out your team mate or worse still both cars!!!
    If one emerges as a possible title contender after the summer break maybe the goal post could be moved.
    But why don't we just concentrate on the constructors .............to get that would be a feather in our cap and a platform to securing both championships the following year!

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by racingbradley View Post
    Whoa play nicely.
    To be fair to both of them why not let them just race............. the more points they clock up will help us to get a shout at the WCC. Only restriction do not take out your team mate or worse still both cars!!!
    If one emerges as a possible title contender after the summer break maybe the goal post could be moved.
    But why don't we just concentrate on the constructors .............to get that would be a feather in our cap and a platform to securing both championships the following year!
    I notice that you have replaced Felipe with Charles on your Avatar, racingbradley, you fickle thing, you! Seriously, I concur with your post but we are kidding ourselves in even thinking of the WCC/WDC unless our challenge makes an amazing comeback in Baku.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    I notice that you have replaced Felipe with Charles on your Avatar, racingbradley, you fickle thing, you!
    Yes Wisepie I thought it was time I supported drivers who currently drive in F1
    However Felipe still features in my signature.

Forza Jules

You have excellent taste.

Disappointed Since 2010

The team has 2 Wks. usually to get the cars right for the next track. All the tech. facts and tires etc. Then it's in the hands of the drivers; literally! Which driver is doing the best with the car he has every second of the race is the guy who should be left to go for the win , podium. Build the cars right for the race and then watch to see which driver is getting the most out of all the work that went into the car. Only then during the actual race should the pit boys determine who's on #1 to win. I refer to team orders as "Premeditated murder ! " Ferrari "Is F-1!" get Merc the hell out of the way!

Let seb and Charles race each other more success will be delivered that way and it creates a positive atmosphere Ferraris only problem the 60 million euro man per year vs 4 million euro future champion who cares it's only money.

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    You have excellent taste.
    of which we both seem to share.

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Noquarter View Post
    . The title from 2000 can be better attributed to Schumacher's speed than the superiority of Ferrari to McLaren.
    2002 and 2004 are exceptions as both these years Ferrari as a car were out of that world in comparison to the rest of the competition.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Actually they did. If you look race one in Australia they prioritized Alonso over Hamilton, hence they undercut Lewis to get Alonso ahead of him and don't forget how McLaren always over fueled Lewis to make him slower

You keep going to that quote from 1 man 8 years ago when Lewis had a bad year in 2011...Vettel was driving great, but his car was great as well. The irony is that you talk about worship, because you worship Vettel as the best ever...
    Based on last 2 years, either Vettel has gotten a lot worse since 2013 or RBR was much better. Ferrari was the better car last year and was arguably better in 2017 as well, Vettel lost the title both years to Hamilton. If he is as good as you claim, why did he make all those mistakes and threw way the title?
    Well said.

Hi guys. I'm a long time reader offline and Ferrari is my passion and decided to finally registrate :)

I should think so too, we can't ignore years of being Massaholics, and I understand your reasoning. In fact I'll drink to that!

In some way I agree and in some way not. We didnt had the fastest car in 2017 on average, that was never the case. We were equal on pace with Mercedes in the first half of the season race pace wise, but in qualy we were on average lacking some pace. Seb after Monaco 2017 was leading the WDC by 26 points in a inferior car after 6 races to the Mercedes. Still was leading after Budapest, Ferrari was very quick that year on tracks with low speed corners (Monaco, Singapore, Budapest), but we were nowhere on the pace on tracks with high speed corners (Silverstone). After Spa Mercedes did their magic, and brought updates, after that we had no chance, Mercedes was much faster (with stronger engine), we had no chance.

In 2018 mistakes cost Seb the title yes, but after Monza our car was lacking again some pace in the second part of season (we were nowhere in Sochi, Singapore, Japan, Abu Dbabi), so we could at least claw back some points. Like Seb in RBR turned the season around after Singapore 2012 with pure domination in the next 4 races. We had the shot last year, strategy was poor, driving in second part of season was not enough, we lost again the developement fight.

But my friends, one day things will change. Soon hopefuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Fortuna View Post
    Hi guys. I'm a long time reader offline and Ferrari is my passion and decided to finally registrate :)
    welcome aboard
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    welcome aboard
    Thank you very much mate! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Vettel165 View Post
    In some way I agree and in some way not. We didnt had the fastest car in 2017 on average, that was never the case. We were equal on pace with Mercedes in the first half of the season race pace wise, but in qualy we were on average lacking some pace. Seb after Monaco 2017 was leading the WDC by 26 points in a inferior car after 6 races to the Mercedes. Still was leading after Budapest, Ferrari was very quick that year on tracks with low speed corners (Monaco, Singapore, Budapest), but we were nowhere on the pace on tracks with high speed corners (Silverstone). After Spa Mercedes did their magic, and brought updates, after that we had no chance, Mercedes was much faster (with stronger engine), we had no chance.

In 2018 mistakes cost Seb the title yes, but after Monza our car was lacking again some pace in the second part of season (we were nowhere in Sochi, Singapore, Japan, Abu Dbabi), so we could at least claw back some points. Like Seb in RBR turned the season around after Singapore 2012 with pure domination in the next 4 races. We had the shot last year, strategy was poor, driving in second part of season was not enough, we lost again the developement fight.

But my friends, one day things will change. Soon hopefuly.
    I can agree with Ferrari not being the best car in 2017, but it was at least very close. In 2018 Ferrari was on average the better car, something most of the experts have concluded. Mercedes holds a qualify advantage, but on race pace it was mostly Ferrari. In 2018 Mercedes just upped it's development and beat Ferrari, who took a wrong turn in developing the car. Vettel is a good driver and definitely top 3, but last 2 years he has shown he is not on Max and Lewis Level.