Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Baku 2019: Practices & Qualifying

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Hmm that’s what. Nothing problem with strategy, it’s the driver need to make measure. At that point of time there’s no rush for 2nd lap.
    Yeah, Seb was sliding around first lap, not hitting the wall, but 2 sec. behind. So, maybe it was a good call, but IMO it was not.

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    Yeah, Seb was sliding around first lap, not hitting the wall, but 2 sec. behind. So, maybe it was a good call, but IMO it was not.
    I don’t know why r u taking it wrong.
    He was sliding because medium tyres aren’t into working range yet for vettel. It can be any reason like slow/aggressive outlap.
    But if u see Lec was already with in .6ths of lap time set on softs by mad max. If it isn’t right call, then how could he be in that range???

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    I don`t know, everything was fine until Q3, and then Mercs 1-2 again. Maybe 2020 is different?
    That's exactly it, everyone sees FP1, 2, and 3 numbers and gets all excited. It's just a fantasy because as soon as Quali starts and Merc stops playing games the real picture emerges. It's the same picture every time but yet, everyone keeps falling for the trap come FP at the next race.

Face it, Merc is dominant and Ferrari has no answer.

I don’t know why r u taking it wrong.
    He was sliding because medium tyres aren’t into working range yet for vettel. It can be any reason like slow/aggressive outlap.
    But if u see Lec was already with in .6ths of lap time set on softs by mad max. If it isn’t right call, then how could he be in that range???
    It was a gamble, and like I said, we could have lost both cars, it was not so far away. Maybe you did see that too.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    That's exactly it, everyone sees FP1, 2, and 3 numbers and gets all excited. It's just a fantasy because as soon as Quali starts and Merc stops playing games the real picture emerges. It's the same picture every time but yet, everyone keeps falling for the trap come FP at the next race.

Face it, Merc is dominant and Ferrari has no answer.
    Then the answers must be found, after all what is the guarantee that Mercedes won't be fastest in 2021 again despite the rule changes? At the moment, the only thing stronger than Mercedes is hope. Hope that Mercedes can and will be defeated. Hope never dies!

Quote Originally Posted by chinmay View Post
    Then the answers must be found, after all what is the guarantee that Mercedes won't be fastest in 2021 again despite the rule changes? At the moment, the only thing stronger than Mercedes is hope. Hope that Mercedes can and will be defeated. Hope never dies!
    Ι totally totally agree with this !!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Just another typical quali session where everything falls into Merc's hands and Ferrari manage somehow to allow it to happen. Mediums wasn't a good idea IMO and we lost one car as a result, although Charles blames himself. Anything can happen in this race and I just hope we survive the first lap, wherever Charles ends up starting, but another Merc 1-2 will be a disaster. Well done GIO getting into the top 10, typical that he's got a penalty, and Kimi still there too, but I still live in hope that we can fight back tomorrow.

glad i didnt book going to monza and waste my money again this year, cant wait to see merc 1-2 all year
    Interviewer: “The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?”
    Kimi: “It protects my head.”

Too early ...!! Bottas is good around here.
    How did you know?

The car still remains 3 to 5 tenths slower than Merc. With such insurmountable disadvantage, we’d be lucky to get a podium knowing how hard Max will be pushing. It’s back to square one for SF. This year will be another down the drain experience. Hopefully 2021 will bring some inspired designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fronaldo View Post
    Do know what to say now..Always
    just say "safety car" tomorrow the LEC will be back on top its not the end yet

Quote Originally Posted by TonyRizza View Post
    glad i didnt book going to monza and waste my money again this year, cant wait to see merc 1-2 all year
    come to WEC Silverstone and i will get you into Ferrari pits.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    come to WEC Silverstone and i will get you into Ferrari pits.
    sounds like a plan!
    Interviewer: “The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?”
    Kimi: “It protects my head.”

Second and fifth rows for Ferrari

Baku, 27 April 2019 – Qualifying for the Azerbaijan Grand Prix turned out to be tougher than expected for Scuderia Ferrari Mission Winnow. Sebastian Vettel will start the race from the second row, while Charles Leclerc will line up on the fifth row, having ended his Q2 challenge in the barriers.

Complicated Q2. Charles and Sebastian both got through the first part of qualifying and took to the track for Q2 on the Medium tyre. The Monegasque driver did a 1’41”995 but his session then ended as he hit the barriers. Sebastian had to do another lap on the Soft tyre, getting through to the final decisive part of the afternoon with a time of 1’41”889. In those last 10 minutes, Vettel did a 1’41”124 before getting down to a 1’40”797 on his second run. Sebastian will start from third on the grid, while Charles will start ninth, once his SF90 has been repaired by the mechanics. The Azerbaijan Grand Prix starts at 16.10 (14.10 CET.)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyRizza View Post
    See my earlier post - at this rate Mercs have to be favourites to do just that! Woeful effort. Very depressing.
    Trying to be less angry..

No....hope dies last and dude, she gone.

Sebastian Vettel #5
    “It was a tough call in the end. When the track temperature dropped the car balance changed and getting the tyres to work for that one lap, especially after such a long straight before starting the lap, was not easy. With the clock ticking down, everybody was banking on the last run and getting a tow so at some point I had to make the call; do I prioritise my tyres or the tow? Which would have meant compromising the outlap and I didn’t have the feeling that I could afford that and I wanted to have a clean shot. My first Q3 run was ok, but on the second run I didn’t have anybody to tow me along, so I dealt with it just focusing on my lap and obviously I lost quite a lot, about four tenths, compared to the previous lap. But that’s what happens at this track. It was a tricky session. I saw Charles in the barrier and realised qualifying was over for him. It was a shame to lose one of our cars. In the end, we are one team and everybody is working extremely hard no matter which side of the garage you are on. Anyway, we need to turn the page as tomorrow is a new day and it’s a long race where anything can happen. As a team we can recover and put our rivals under pressure. Overall I feel we have a strong car so we can go and race hard and should have some fun.”

Charles Leclerc #16
    “I am disappointed with myself. Our pace was good all weekend and we expected to have a positive qualifying result. My first lap in Q2 was very good considering we were on Mediums, but then I made a driving error on the second lap. I just didn’t do the job. The team and all the people supporting us out there deserved much more. Tomorrow is a new day. I will stay positive and push to do the best job possible in the race.”

Mattia Binotto Team Principal
    “We are not happy about the outcome of qualifying. I think our car was performing well today and we could have certainly achieved a much better result. The upgrades we brought here worked well and we are happy with the way they are behaving. Sebastian improved run after run and found the best feeling with the car right on his last attempt. This is such a peculiar track and had he found a better feeling before he could have done a better job. Charles will be one of the very few of the top ten starting on Medium tyres and he can still have a great race. He was very fast today and can be very fast tomorrow as well. It has been a real shame that his qualifying ended at turn 8, but these things happen when you push to the limit.”

Quote Originally Posted by ALO View Post
    How did you know?
    To be precise,
    1) I know mercs are just playing with the field.
    2) bottas this year is little bit stronger than previous years very much determined.
    3) last year at the same track ham struggled to find the balance & it was bottas win.

These kind of tracks baku, Sochi, Monaco other few bottas is strong.
    Last edited by nani_s23; 27th April 2019 at 18:53.

Quote Originally Posted by ALO View Post
    just say "safety car" tomorrow the LEC will be back on top its not the end yet

Yup .... he’s in better position of top 10. Any early or late SC should give him advantage.
    He has new set of tyres + pace to do it. He should get clean start at first. Getting 4th position quickly is the primary target.
    From there on any SC probabilities is a chance for him.

Don’t think even 2021 would stop mercs because they are playing their cards to keep up with same MGU-H,K elements.
    RB are playing for too much aero philosophy. Don’t know where ferrari will end up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Their waiting to see if Ferrari is replacing Charles with Mick tomorrow! What's taking them so long???
    I see you are teasing again Brembo!
    You don't fool me!!!!
    But I thought you might like this if you haven't already seen it!

Mick Schumacher will not be returning to test for Ferrari next month (Image: GETTY)
    Mick Schumacher, son of F1 legend Michael, drove the Ferrari F1 car for the first time in Bahrain and went on to set the second fastest time of the outing.
    The youngster said that the car ‘felt like home’ but he won’t be returning for the rumoured testing in Barcelona next month.
    According to Italian outlet La Gazzetta dello Sport, Schumacher will be replaced by Antonio Fuoco next month, in order to focus on his F2 season.
    Promoted Story

Forza Jules

[AMuS] Qualifying Analysis: Vettel was missing the slipstream.

Mercedes engineers: "With a slipstream, Vettel would have beaten us for pole today. A slipstream makes up five tenths here. Especially when several cars drive in one train."

Main points of the AMuS article

•Merc has bet on the slipstream which had the bigger effect than a perfect outlap or the driving in clean air. Ferrari bet wrong.
    •Low asphalt temperature helped Mercedes more and the tyres worked perfectly. SF90 had difficulties in that aspect
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Oh dear cant believe it really, so if Seb had Giovanazzi slipstream he would be 0,2s up on Mercedes. Cant believe the luck we really have.

I could cry now. Cant take it anymore.

Mercedes explains unusual Q3 tactics and unexpected advantage over Ferrari

BAKU, Azerbaijan -- Mercedes boss Toto Wolff believes two key factors helped his drivers achieve a surprise result and beat Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel to the front row of the grid at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

Prior to Saturday's qualifying, Ferrari had dominated all three practice sessions and appeared to have a pace advantage on the straights and in the corners at the Baku City Circuit. However, the Italian team's chances were slashed when Charles Leclerc crashed into the barriers in Q2 and then faded completely when Sebastian Vettel was 0.3s slower than the two Mercedes in Q3.

Wolff believes his team's advantage was partly down to the slipstream the Mercedes drivers were able to get on Baku's 2km back straight and partly down to the way the car managed its tyres. However, ensuring it was in a position to capitalise on both required some unusual tactics as the cars left the pits for their final qualifying lap.

In qualifying, teams often try to gain an advantage by being the last car to leave the garage. Track conditions are usually better at the end of the session and it allows drivers to benefit from any potential slipstream. There are dangers, such as leaving it too late and running out of time, but on the whole it is usually considered an advantage to be last on track.

At recent races, Mercedes had observed its rivals -- in particular Ferrari -- had waited for the Mercedes cars to leave the garage before sending its cars out. But unwilling to play a game of chicken as the session clock counted down, Mercedes opted to send its cars out first but then instruct them to pull over in the area designated for practice starts at the end of the pit lane. The dummy played out perfectly, seeing Vettel -- and a gaggle of other cars -- leave their garages after the Mercedes but join the track ahead of them, culminating in Valtteri Bottas and Lewis Hamilton benefitting from the best slipstreams at the back of the pack.

"You always need to evaluate between trying to get a bit of a tow effect and compromising your out-lap," Wolff said after the session. "You can see how wrong it can go in Shanghai for some of the cars that weren't able to cross the line.

"In each of the qualifyings we saw a little bit of a pattern, that everybody waited for us to go out, and this time we thought we've got to try something else, and this is what we did. We decided it this morning."

But it wasn't just the tow that Mercedes benefited from; the car was also quick in the tight middle sector compared to Vettel, which is where tyre temperatures are crucial. Ironically, Leclerc's crash had extended the session to allow for barrier repairs and saw Q3 start at 18:45 local time. The delay meant the sun was signifcantly lower in the sky and the temperatures plummeted, playing into the hands of Mercedes.

"I think we gained relative performance with the dropping temperatures," Wolff added. "I think that probably with the track and ambient of this morning they were in a league of their own, and once it got cooler, probably the competitive order changed.

"But when you see this kind of gap, it's never the car has suddenly lost performance, because you know there is performance, it's just that you're not having the tyre in the right operating window. The longer the session went, the more we got it there, and towards the end, from a car that was not making the drivers happy in the morning, we ended up with a car in Q3 that was good."

By the end of Q3, Mercedes not only had better track position than the sole remaining Ferrari, it also had its tyres in the perfect operating window.

"I think it was a double whammy," Wolff added. "He [Vettel] was out by himself with no tow and the ambient temperatures and track temperatures came towards us at the end. Our car got better the colder it went."
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Mercedes are really clever...

I will say it one more time.
    Ferrari sucks big time in the operations/strategy.

So, they need a change there. And they need the change since 2015.

Correct Ferrari are hopless at qualification. Ferrari needs an expert because mercedes are way way on top in this department really how do we get it so wrong all the time.Binnotto has to much on his plate changes are coming 100% weather he likes it or not .Maranallo is not happy he must focus on the technical side only we need a strategist asap because it's becoming extremely embarrassing when mercedes are pointing out where Ferrari got it wrong again really Ferrari enough is enough .

Ferrari hire totto wolf to catch a wolf you need a wolf and this Ferrari does not have we have the equivalent of a fox at best Toto wolf to good.

Usual implosion where someone within Ferrari feels the pressure and cocks up. I honestly think that if we changed the name to fiat we'd win all the time. Dobbiamo sistemare questi problemi se vogliamo vincere un campionato l'anno prossimo

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Should have employed Pat Symonds before he joined Fia