Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Niki Lauda has passed away aged 70

Quote Originally Posted by Vittorio View Post
    It's very sad news.

The first time I fell in love with Ferrari was as a 7-year-old boy at the 1977 South African Grand Prix at Kyalami. Niki Lauda was driving one of those beautiful Ferrari cars and would win that day. (It was of course also the same South African GP in which Tom Pryce and a young race marshal were killed in a horrific freak accident down the main straight).

I would see Niki Lauda up close at the 1984 South African GP when he passed me just outside the entrance to the pit area (my older brother was a photojournalist and so he got me a pit pass - those were the days *sigh*). I was so awestruck at seeing Niki that all I could mumble was, "Good luck, Niki". He just nodded at me and gave me terse smile and walked on by. He would go on to win that GP, driving in the McLaren.

He was a fighter like no other, said it like it was and was highly respected for all the right reasons. He will be missed.

A legend.

RIP Niki.
    nice memory and what a time to watch F1.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Sad news. RIP Niki

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    nice memory and what a time to watch F1.
    It sure was.

It's not just about 'nostalgia' - Formula 1 was undoubtedly better back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    He was before my F1 time, great memories you have when F1 was real F1.
    It really was, unfortunately.

It's certainly safer today, which is good, of course - but it wasn't just about 'the danger' back then. Not at all. It was just better - real racing, real racers, unpredictable and fun.

It's very sad news.

The first time I fell in love with Ferrari was as a 7-year-old boy at the 1977 South African Grand Prix at Kyalami. Niki Lauda was driving one of those beautiful Ferrari cars and would win that day. (It was of course also the same South African GP in which Tom Pryce and a young race marshal were killed in a horrific freak accident down the main straight).

I would see Niki Lauda up close at the 1984 South African GP when he passed me just outside the entrance to the pit area (my older brother was a photojournalist and so he got me a pit pass - those were the days *sigh*). I was so awestruck at seeing Niki that all I could mumble was, "Good luck, Niki". He just nodded at me and gave me terse smile and walked on by. He would go on to win that GP, driving in the McLaren.

He was a fighter like no other, said it like it was and was highly respected for all the right reasons. He will be missed.

A legend.

RIP Niki.
    Wow, what a story. I can feel how organic and genuine your interaction with Niki was. Cheers, mate.

It's very sad news.

A legend.

RIP Niki.
    What a wonderful story and a great memory. Nicki will live on in many people's memory. A Time when the racing was great and drivers were free to speak their minds......which resulted in great characters just like Niki
    if only we could go back to that!

Forza Jules

It's not how start but how you finish.

F1 has announced that a minute’s silence will be observed on the starting grid for the MonacoGP at 14h53 CET in memory of Niki Lauda.

Servus Niki .

Niki to be buried this Wednesday

also

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7F3XZ5V4AAvkm3.jpg

Niki will be buried in a Ferrari racing suit.

Niki Lauda is publicly laid out in the St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna. Thousands expected in Vienna to pay respects.

Danke Niki.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7uEFj3UEAEvghE.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7uEFjxU8AM-p13.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7uEFj1V4AA_MS0.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7uEFj1U8AAwntu.jpg

Sorry to see you go Niki, thanks for all and glad you enjoyed yourself!

Watch live: Funeral of Formula 1 champion Niki Lauda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XzsKD3CEE0&t=28s