Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Niki Lauda has passed away aged 70

Niki Lauda has passed away aged 70

According to reports emerging out of Austria, three-time Formula 1 champion Niki Lauda has passed away aged 70 because after undergoing kidney dialysis earlier on Monday.

Lauda, who won three titles in 1975, 1977 and in 1984, has received two kidney transplants already in 1997 and 2005.

Last summer, the then 69-year-old collapsed during his holiday in Ibiza, needing an immediate double lung transplant. He was checked back in the hospital in January with the flu, which was threatening because of his fragile immune system.

Up until his collapse in August, Lauda was an advisor at the enormously successful Mercedes team, where he spent most of his time assisting and counselling team principal Toto Wolff. He was one of the most respected and well-liked characters in the F1 paddock, as well as being one of the best drivers the sport has ever seen.

Known for his incredible character and perseverance, Lauda had a massive crash at the Nürburgring in 1976. He was pulled out of the wreckage by the brave Arturo Merzario and Guy Edwards, saving his life, and Lauda, who had third-degree burns on his face, was racing again just six weeks later and just missed out on the title that year to James Hunt. Incredibly, he won the title the year after, and again in 1984 for McLaren.

Niki Lauda is one of the best drivers and people to ever grace the world of Formula 1, and he will be dearly missed. On behalf of all of us at GPblog, we offer our sincerest condolences to the Lauda family.

Credit Gp Blog

RIP

R.I.P Nicky Ferrari legend.

a true Legend.....R.I.P Niki
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

RIP Niki

We lost a legend. Godspeed Niki.

Rest in peace, Niki.

Ruhe in Frieden, Niki.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

R.I.P Niki

RIP Niki and God be with you.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Sad day today. Great fighter, who defeated the lady in black once already... she just had to win after all :(

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

RIP Niki
    Forza Ferrari

R.I.P.

RIP Niki, a very sad day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a feeling his lung transplantation last year would end in heartbreak in some way down the line. If not because of that directly then because of some other organ failure. Niki has been living on borrowed time for decades.

Thank you for everything Niki, especially the Ferrari years! If not for that accident in Germany in 1976 he would most likely have won three WDCs in a row between 1975-1977. He also had a pretty good streak in 1974 up until the German GP. Then five DNFs in a row. He was leading that WDC by 1 point prior to the race.

May you rest in peace, Niki Lauda.

F1 world lost a character, but when it is time to go, then it is time to go

RIP Hero.

Forever in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by 512 TR View Post
    I had a feeling his lung transplantation last year would end in heartbreak in some way down the line. If not because of that directly then because of some other organ failure. Niki has been living on borrowed time for decades.

Thank you for everything Niki, especially the Ferrari years! If not for that accident in Germany in 1976 he would most likely have won three WDCs in a row between 1975-1977. He also had a pretty good streak in 1974 up until the German GP. Then five DNFs in a row. He was leading that WDC by 1 point prior to the race.

May you rest in peace, Niki Lauda.
    Could not have said it better 512TR and I'll never forget his Ferrari years! May Niki rest in peace and my deepest condolences to his family.

Rest in peace Niki............ such a brave man till the end.
    He will be sadly missed by Motorsport.

Forza Jules

Ciao, Niki.

Disappointed Since 2010

May he rest in peace
    Truly a brave man

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

RIP Nikki

Rest in peace champ

RIP

It's very sad news.

The first time I fell in love with Ferrari was as a 7-year-old boy at the 1977 South African Grand Prix at Kyalami. Niki Lauda was driving one of those beautiful Ferrari cars and would win that day. (It was of course also the same South African GP in which Tom Pryce and a young race marshal were killed in a horrific freak accident down the main straight).

I would see Niki Lauda up close at the 1984 South African GP when he passed me just outside the entrance to the pit area (my older brother was a photojournalist and so he got me a pit pass - those were the days *sigh*). I was so awestruck at seeing Niki that all I could mumble was, "Good luck, Niki". He just nodded at me and gave me terse smile and walked on by. He would go on to win that GP, driving in the McLaren.

He was a fighter like no other, said it like it was and was highly respected for all the right reasons. He will be missed.

A legend.

RIP Niki.

A great champion and a great ambassador for the sport. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Vittorio View Post
    It's very sad news.

The first time I fell in love with Ferrari was as a 7-year-old boy at the 1977 South African Grand Prix at Kyalami. Niki Lauda was driving one of those beautiful Ferrari cars and would win that day. (It was of course also the same South African GP in which Tom Pryce and a young race marshal were killed in a horrific freak accident down the main straight).

I would see Niki Lauda up close at the 1984 South African GP when he passed me just outside the entrance to the pit area (my older brother was a photojournalist and so he got me a pit pass - those were the days *sigh*). I was so awestruck at seeing Niki that all I could mumble was, "Good luck, Niki". He just nodded at me and gave me terse smile and walked on by. He would go on to win that GP, driving in the McLaren.

He was a fighter like no other, said it like it was and was highly respected for all the right reasons. He will be missed.

A legend.

RIP Niki.
    He was before my F1 time, great memories you have when F1 was real F1.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Vittorio View Post
    It's very sad news.

A legend.

RIP Niki.
    Great read. Thank you!

Disappointed Since 2010

RIP Legend!
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

RIP
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE