Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Austrian GP Race

Quote Originally Posted by racingbradley View Post
    Hmm I have just had a thought the Mercedes boys didnt put up a fight today because they wanted max to get a win before
    Hungary.
    I doubt Lewis would want max in the team two of a kind.
    haha.. nice theory. But Bottas would/should have been gunning for victory then, since its his **** on the line.
    Silently, like a shadow

Quote Originally Posted by killer View Post
    If they called it on Seb, they should have called it on Max. Terrible, terrible officiating.

Charles is top notch. I admire his skill and bravery.
    Was a fair call dude. He hardly pushed charles out. He just held his line.
    We have seen much much worse termed as racing incident.

But charles will get his victory. He is brilliant. His defense against max for 2 laps was amazing and he didnt make a mistake (like spin on his own) under pressure. It was impossible to however hold back a car that was so much faster. Where RBR/Max found such speed is intriguing. That felt like a merc on fresh tyres the way he caught bottas and Charles.

In any case, for Charles, bodes well for a great future in F1 and hopefully with us.
    Silently, like a shadow

Bottas was having a good race not far behind Charles then faded completely, a tad suspicious?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    Bottas was having a good race not far behind Charles then faded completely, a tad suspicious?
    If only you consider that even charles faded completely, suspiciously. Cause max caught both of them with equal efficiency.
    What is suspicious is that pace on worn tyres. How did that RBR suddenly get so fast?
    Have RBR found another loophole?
    Silently, like a shadow

Max was the faster man. He was down at the start, keep in mind he was behind Vettel but managed to win, that's just great. Charles will get his win, no doubt, but we look really far away title wise and just one or two wins won't change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormsearcher View Post
    If only you consider that even charles faded completely, suspiciously. Cause max caught both of them with equal efficiency.
    What is suspicious is that pace on worn tyres. How did that RBR suddenly get so fast?
    Have RBR found another loophole?
    I had a feeling they might have something up their sleeve for their home race. But yeah something seems a bit off, I don't really buy the mercs overheating theory either.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    Max was the faster man. He was down at the start, keep in mind he was behind Vettel but managed to win, that's just great. Charles will get his win, no doubt, but we look really far away title wise and just one or two wins won't change that.
    Yes there is no doubt Max drove a brilliant race. And yes charles will get his. And i hope he does, cause it doesnt matter that he (or even Seb) may not longer be in contention for the title, but every victory counts; will also help the morale of a team that am sure the italian press is trashing to bits.
    Silently, like a shadow

Unfortunately Silverstone is a banker Lewis win.

Again, our car seems mighty on the first stint but we lose pace on second stint (especially on Hard tyres).

Unfortunately Silverstone is a banker Lewis win.
    Maybe Max will stop that happening, or in our dreams Charles or Seb could just pull some thing out of the bag, our team is owed a lot after being screwed twice in three races. They should re-instate Seb's Canada win if consistency is to be applied by the stewards.

Sigh.... another nail in F1's coffin...
    Austrian GP, red bull under investigation, by rule of F1 rule book, penalty should have been given, but wait.... Niki Lauda was austrian and a red bull team member.... let's overlook the rule book and just move on.

YEAH... them's the rules F1 applies now.
    Politics ABOVE racing.

Max was the same way out of position as Mag. Didn’t get a penalty for that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Schumiklub View Post
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6cb909a821.jpg

Max was the same way out of position as Mag. Didn’t get a penalty for that either.

how can we determine whether they are in or out from the above pic? Yellow line?

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    how can we determine whether they are in or out from the above pic? Yellow line?
    That’s what Brundle said. If they’re over the yellow line they’re out of position. Maybe Kevin was a few inches more over it.

Day after the race, sleepover, cool head, what come to mind is that in a motor sport like F1 with thousands of parts in engine and chassis, we are all hostages of simple piece of rubber! No matter what car and engine it is, once the tires are gone that poor man is destined to be just a observer of things going around him. Can any one tell me if remembers when there was a fight with two drivers, overtaking each other lap by lap?
    Something like:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtZ0wv1I8yc

Other thing which need to get ditched is DRS! That is beyond stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Day after the race, sleepover, cool head, what come to mind is that in a motor sport like F1 with thousands of parts in engine and chassis, we are all hostages of simple piece of rubber! No matter what car and engine it is, once the tires are gone that poor man is destined to be just a observer of things going around him. Can any one tell me if remembers when there was a fight with two drivers, overtaking each other lap by lap?
    Something like:

Agreed. It basically guarantees that a faster car will overtake.

There should be 2 tyre manufacturers again, but of course that won't be allowed to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by JPZ View Post
    I agree about the tires, but not sure about the DRS... Without DRS we will have just a complete borefest due to cars inability to follow each other(tires overheating, aero regs) and also many of the current F1 circuits that are just dull.

Max's driving is what got him up and right behind Charles, it was his driving that got him in 1st. and the win, plain and simple! We need him @ Ferrari ! Or was it the Honda power that's now better than Merc and Ferrari?: rotfl Or he had better tires? The 21yr. old drives his heart out ! Win is all he thinks about! Charles is right up there also !

FIGHTING TOOTH AND NAIL FOR 71 LAPS

media

Spielberg, 30 June 2019 – Scuderia Ferrari leaves Austria with a second and fourth place courtesy of Charles Leclerc and Sebastian Vettel, which came at the end of a great race that was closely fought right from the start to the end of the 71 laps.

Start. Charles got a perfect getaway to keep the lead, ahead of Valtteri Bottas and Lewis Hamilton. Sebastian also shot off the line and by the end of the opening lap he’d already made up three places to cross the line sixth behind Raikkonen and Norris. Sebastian pursued the English McLaren driver and got past on lap 4, then two laps later he also dealt with the Finn in the Alfa Romeo.

Pit stop. On lap 21, Sebastian was the first Scuderia Ferrari driver to pit, replacing the Softs on which he started with Hards. The German’s stop took longer than usual, because of a radio problem, which meant the mechanics were not quite ready in time. This cost Sebastian around three seconds, as he rejoined behind Gasly in eighth place. Charles came in on the next lap, rejoining right behind Hamilton and Verstappen yet to stop.

Mid-race. At the halfway point, when all the leaders had pitted for the first time, Charles had a five second lead over Bottas, with Vettel closing fast on Verstappen and Hamilton. On the hard tyres, the Dutch Red Bull driver was lapping faster than Sebastian and caught the number 5 SF90 on lap 49, getting ahead one lap later. The team reacted immediately, switching Vettel to a more aggressive two stop strategy. Sebastian set off on Soft tyres, seven seconds behind Hamilton.

Close finish. On lap 56, Verstappen caught Bottas, passed him and set off in pursuit of Charles, with fresher Hard tyres. The Dutchman caught Leclerc with six laps to go. On lap 68, he passed Charles at Turn 3, but the Ferrari man made the most of the SF90s good traction to retake the lead on the next straight. One lap later, Verstappen attacked again at the same place, but collided with Charles, which forced him to run wide. At the same time, Sebastian caught Hamilton and passed him a lap later. Verstappen took the flag 2.7 seconds ahead of the Ferrari man. Third was Bottas, just seven tenths ahead of Sebastian. The next round takes place at Silverstone in a fortnight’s time.

Investigation. The incident between Charles and Max was reviewed by the Stewards. Almost three hours after the end of the Grand Prix, the decision was announced that it had been a racing incident and that no further action would be taken and so the classification remained the same.

Charles Leclerc #16
    “It was a positive weekend overall. Unfortunately, it did not end as we would have liked it to.
    My first stint was good and our pace was there. We pitted early to prevent losing our track position to Bottas. This made the second stint longer and more challenging than expected, as the rear tyres degraded quite a bit towards the end of the race.
    Second place is not what we wanted, but we gave it our all and made good a step forward this weekend. I am conviced that this will bring further progress for the next few races and allow us to achieve the success that we want.”

Sebastian Vettel #5
    “I’m always positive and today the team gave me a great car to drive and I think this was a better weekend for us, maybe like in Canada a few weeks back. I’m disappointed about how things went for me yesterday but today’s race was fun for me from the cockpit and I enjoyed some good wheel to wheel battles, pushing throughout.
    I’m also disappointed for Charles as he did an excellent job and was very strong all weekend.
    All in all, I’m happy in one sense but unhappy in another, because we could have had both cars on the podium this weekend, one of them on the top step.
    As for the car, we know what’s needed: we need more downforce. We are strong at tracks like this and the one in Canada and we know what we have to do to improve the car, but it’s not easy and it can’t be done in just one day. I’d like to thank all the team in Maranello because all of them are very passionate about this and are working like mad to improve the car. This year’s Ferrari is definitely good enough to win races.”

Mattia Binotto Team Principal
    “Every race has a tale to tell and today’s was a great one, featuring some exciting battles. For our part, we have shown that we are continuing to improve. Charles drove a really strong race from start to finish and indeed he was fantastic all weekend.
    Seb also had an excellent race: on the hard tyres he attacked and pushed to the maximum even if in doing so, they wore quickly. From that, it’s clear his two stop strategy was not planned in advance, but adopted as his race evolved. There’s obviously disappointment for the radio problem we had at Seb’s pit stop. Not all the mechanics heard the call and that cost him precious time.
    With regards to the decision of the stewards, we fully accept it, even though we don’t believe it is the right decision. They are the judges and we have to respect that. However, even though I am first and foremost a Ferrari fan, I think it’s time for F1 to turn the page and to look ahead. As we often say, we should leave the drivers free to fight, as overall this will be good for the sport and good for F1. So ‘bravo’ to Verstappen, he drove a fantastic race today as did Charles. There will be new opportunities for us in the future.”
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post

Thank you for the link to a proper race Stefa when F1 was about pure racing not who could make the gizmos work better!!!
    DRS is just a step too far and ruins wheel to wheel racing.

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Stormsearcher View Post
    Was a fair call dude. He hardly pushed charles out. He just held his line.
    We have seen much much worse termed as racing incident.

But charles will get his victory. He is brilliant. His defense against max for 2 laps was amazing and he didnt make a mistake (like spin on his own) under pressure. It was impossible to however hold back a car that was so much faster. Where RBR/Max found such speed is intriguing. That felt like a merc on fresh tyres the way he caught bottas and Charles.

In any case, for Charles, bodes well for a great future in F1 and hopefully with us.
    I've no issue with the non-call, matter of fact. My thing is they have to call it on both ends. Saying incidents should be looked at independently of each other is fair but is a non-argument in this case: there has to be a baseline and consistency. I look to more robust racing over the remainder of the season and they better check their whistles.

Quote Originally Posted by JPZ View Post
    It's a bit too strong, yes.

There should be 2 tyre manufacturers again, but of course that won't be allowed to happen.
    Yes that won't be allowed BUT, I wonder why they can't have teams decide which gauge of tyre they want to compete on! Give them the choice of thin or thick and then everyone is happy, YES/NO

Yes just like ham would you like it sliced thick or thin.

Quote Originally Posted by Noquarter View Post
    I'll still take Charles.

Disappointed Since 2010

I think LEC was pitted too early. He still had pace but ended up with tyres 10 laps older than those on Max's wagon.

He is as good, if not better, than Mad Max and the Ferrari is as good as the RB - if not better..

Another pit wall call that may have cost us a win.
    Trying to be less angry..

Max has much more experience in F1. It's already its 5th season even though it is not even 22 years old. Ferrari has to do everything to prevent Verstappen from going to Mercedes.