Thread: Leclerc planning to 'adjust aggression' after Verstappen incident ruling

Cool Leclerc planning to 'adjust aggression' after Verstappen incident ruling

Charles Leclerc says he will adjust his driving style to be more aggressive after the Austrian Grand Prix – which saw Max Verstappen avoid a penalty for a late overtake on the Ferrari driver – but admitted that he had come to terms with the outcome of the race.

Having led for much of the race, Leclerc missed out on victory in Spielberg after a charging Verstappen completed a last-gasp pass on the Ferrari driver at Turn 3 on the penultimate lap.

Leclerc indicated in the immediate aftermath of the race that he thought Verstappen's move crossed the line, though the stewards in Austria chose not to penalise the Dutchman.

However, with the benefit of time, Leclerc admitted his position had somewhat changed.

“At that moment, I felt it was frustrating,” he said. “Looking back, I’m happy we can now race like this.

“As drivers, we always try to be as close as the rules limit us, so I will definitely change a little bit and adjust a little bit my aggression.

“I think with that incident, I don’t have any problems and it was very easy for me to move on. The only think I would like is a bit more consistency. I feel like there have been other incidents in the past, which have been less big in a way, and have been penalised.

“If we can race in that way, then I’m more than happy to race that way. I think it’s good for Formula 1. I think this is what us drivers want, but we just need to know what we can expect from the others, and that’s why we need consistency over penalties.”

Despite narrowly missing out on victory in Austria, Leclerc - who is currently fifth in the drivers standings - said he could take heart from Ferrari's upturn in form, even if he expects rivals Mercedes to be much stronger this weekend.

"I think it was a good few races even before Austria. Paul Ricard – Mercedes was very quick but our race pace was very compromised. Canada, we seemed to be a little bit better but I still expect Mercedes to be very, very strong this weekend. A lot stronger than they were in Austria.

"It might be a more difficult weekend but we’ll give it everything and hopefully [get] a good result at the end of the weekend."

Sebastian Vettel delivered victory for Ferrari at Silverstone last year. How the Scuderia would love a repeat in 2019...
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Well, the maFIA will come down like a ton of bricks on Charles or Seb if either of them attempts what Max did a fortnight ago, we all know it. If it was for the win, there would be a ten second penalty issued within a lap.
    Last edited by Tifoso Svedese; 12th July 2019 at 09:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso Svedese View Post
    Well, the maFIA will come down like a ton of bricks on Charles or Seb if either of them attempts what Max did a fortnight ago, we all know it. If it was for the win, there would be a ten second penalty issued within a lap.
    Agreed, but sad to say that Max would probably have got Charles before the end of the race anyway, such was the difference the damn tyres made. The race was 3 laps too long!

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Agreed, but sad to say that Max would probably have got Charles before the end of the race anyway, such was the difference the damn tyres made. The race was 3 laps too long!
    Yup, RB pace on those Hard tyres were lightening. Ferrari always tend to struggle on those hard compounds, its been their weakness from past.
    Pace was on Softs was strong from Ferrari, they should have extended their laps on softs.

Tread carefully, m'boy. The rules apply differently to you, Seb, and Ferrari.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    Tread carefully, m'boy. The rules apply differently to you, Seb, and Ferrari.
    So sad but you are spot on. I really can't bear our boys getting any more penalties.

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso Svedese View Post
    concrete fort smith ar

Well, the maFIA will come down like a ton of bricks on Charles or Seb if either of them attempts what Max did a fortnight ago, we all know it. If it was for the win, there would be a ten-second penalty issued within a lap.
    It's disappointing I know. I don't know if they will ever step up their game. Their penalties are getting worse.