Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Binotto vacates Ferrari technical director role

Binotto vacates Ferrari technical director role

Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto has stepped away from his previous role of technical director, according to reports in Italy, having combined the jobs since replacing Maurizio Arrivabene.

Binotto had retained oversight of the technical direction of the Scuderia alongside a team of senior engineers, although the added workload had been presented as a possible reason for the team's poor first half of the 2019 campaign.

Having started the season as title favourites, Ferrari are yet to win a race and now face a stiff battle from Red Bull to hold onto second in the championship, with Max Verstappen holding off Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc for third spot in the drivers' standings.

The Italian branch of motorsport.com has claimed that Binotto has responded by stepping away from the technical side of the team and focusing solely on his tasks as team principal.

Binotto's decision may also be influenced by the impending return of Simone Resta, the former chief designer at Maranello who will leave Alfa Romeo at the end of the month, having served as technical director for the Hinwil squad.

Motorsport.com claims that Resta's main focus will be on the 2021 car, with a sweeping change of regulations possibly opening the door for Ferrari to get the better of Mercedes after a long stint of Silver Arrow domination, which shows no sign of stopping in 2019.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/4...director-role/
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Presumably this would suggest that they have abandoned any hope of a championship even next year.....how demoralising that is for all concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Presumably this would suggest that they have abandoned any hope of a championship even next year.....how demoralising that is for all concerned.
    Even if this is true,and we are truly working for 2021,then when this time comes and we are competitive or even better the best team, then we all are gonna be thrilled!!!!
    BUT right now everything is just speculations!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Binotto himself said we lack pace because of poor in-season development of 2018 season !

Newey said something about 'its wrong to start developing a new car without understanding why your current car is slow'.

So i dont know what to believe anymore :D

Are you serious?, there is no hope for any title, like 6 races ago. The best thing they can do is focus in next year which most of the time is worth nothing.

This is a mess, typical Ferrari organization mess, at least with Arrivabene there was some kind of stability.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom Hearts View Post
    Are you serious?, there is no hope for any title, like 6 races ago. The best thing they can do is focus in next year which most of the time is worth nothing.

This is a mess, typical Ferrari organization mess, at least with Arrivabene there was some kind of stability.
    I hope Charles doesn't read the likes of this post! He is as close as can be to a win and the podiums are always at least in reach. All that with a hopeless team ? "Where there's smoke there's fire!! " Check Charles' exhaust! And he for sure is giving R Bull one hell of a hard time which makes me want to see every race ASAP !

No..!! Simon will be working on 2020 & 21 projects in parallel.
    Aero, engine, TD report to Mattia. 3 to 1 structure, should work at least some extent let’s c.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    I hope Charles doesn't read the likes of this post! He is as close as can be to a win and the podiums are always at least in reach. All that with a hopeless team ? "Where there's smoke there's fire!! " Check Charles' exhaust! And he for sure is giving R Bull one hell of a hard time which makes me want to see every race ASAP !

No titles this year Brembo, he can read my post safely because he knows is true.

If you read my post correctly, I didn't mention this year (no hope at all), and meant that 2020 would be another stop-gap year.....it's all pretty depressing.

If you read my post correctly, I didn't mention this year (no hope at all), and meant that 2020 would be another stop-gap year.....it's all pretty depressing.
    My dear friend, it is been like that since 2009, the year F1 died!

Year after year Ferrari gets it wrong wind tunnel then this then that it's like a broken record.Frankly I am sick of hearing what's wrong all the time.I actually want to here what is right and that finally all is good but binotto struggles with the words just like Ferrari fans are struggling with the results of the past 10 years or so.Its an embarrassment that Ferrari do not understand until it's all to late time and time again waiting with anticipation to be proved wrong actually looking forward to it.

Have to agree, I really can't believe how many times the team has dropped the ball in recent years, it's not all down to the drivers when development goes haywire, which it seems to do every year just when we were in with a chance of some glory. We are a loyal bunch, but sometimes that loyalty is hard to justify.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    My dear friend, it is been like that since 2009, the year F1 died!
    End of 2008 really was the turning point.

And the decline in viewers year-on-year from then on reflect that.

No titles this year Brembo, he can read my post safely because he knows is true.
    O K no titles for sure , but!!! Maybe a win or two for Charles would cheer up all involved , Fans , team; and Charles for sure!!

This year is all about Charles he is the new kid on the block.He deserves and has earned the right to have Ferrari 100% behind him now Germany will be interesting would not surprise me to see Charles on pole now that will set the cat amongst the pigeons at Ferrari.Rest assured seb better bring his accident free racing best to the race.

The seemingly never ending Merc romp is super depressing, no doubt about it. BUT, Charles is the most exciting driver to come along in quite a while. He (more than anything else these days) is keeping F1 enjoyable to watch for me. I've seen every F1 race since the late 60's sitting on my dads knee when Jackie Stewart was pretty amazing. As I got older GV was everything to me. But other than GV, very few drivers have blown my mind. Senna, sure, but I hated his personality. Alonso? IMO he's Prost & Senna combined. The best all around driver I've seen. These days? Yeah, Max is looking like something special, but no more so than what I'm seeing and the feeling I'm getting about Charles. Signing CL just might end up being the best move Ferrari has made in ages. I really hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    O K no titles for sure , but!!! Maybe a win or two for Charles would cheer up all involved , Fans , team; and Charles for sure!!
    There will be no win for Ferrari this year. With the improved form RBR is showing, I doubt Ferrari will even end up second best.

We have to face it, the team as we all knew it, as we learned to love it, is gone.

It will flounder somewhere between runner up and mediocre for the foreseeable future because the attitude within the team hasn't changed despite years of failure. They may build a decent hare here and there, but will always fail due to poor in-season development. Excuses will rain down, but excuses are like butholes, everyone has 'em, and they all stink. With the new agreement, they will lose their Veto powers which they rarely use to begin with. Ferrari's influence in F1 will continue to decline. Eventually they will be a midfield team at which point the company will pull the plus because it looks bad for their road car division, and that's where the money is. Alonso couldn't reverse the trend, Vettel couldn't reverse the trend, and Charles' talents will be wasted trying to reverse the trend. All because they refuse to see the forest through the trees. Refuse to hire a shark who will lead the team be ruthless against the FIA and the other teams. One meek beta male after the next. Oh well.

We have been a midfield team in the past and might well be again...won't really change much other than (glory)fans who expect win every year might get bored.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    We have been a midfield team in the past and might well be again...won't really change much other than (glory)fans who expect win every year might get bored.
    In the past road car sales were not where they are today Greig. How long do you think the road car division will stand the bad press of their F1 team coming in 8th and 9th at every race? This isn't the 80's or 90's anymore.

Do you work for Ferrari F1?

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    In the past road car sales were not where they are today Greig. How long do you think the road car division will stand the bad press of their F1 team coming in 8th and 9th at every race? This isn't the 80's or 90's anymore.

Do you work for Ferrari F1?
    Car sales seem fine and we have not won a title in decade, I really doubt the F1 side enters the mind of a supercar buyer. Many can sell cars well enough without even being in F1.....
    Forza Ferrari

Car sales seem fine and we have not won a title in decade, I really doubt the F1 side enters the mind of a supercar buyer. Many can sell cars well enough without even being in F1.....
    In the current era of super car sales, Ferrari has been on top or "okay." When they start to really suck, and they will unless something drastic changes with management, it will have an impact on car sales. Real or imaginary, they won't want the bad press.

Not being in F1 is different than being in F1 and loosing to Toro Rosso.

In the current era of super car sales, Ferrari has been on top or "okay." When they start to really suck, and they will unless something drastic changes with management, it will have an impact on car sales. Real or imaginary, they won't want the bad press.

Not being in F1 is different than being in F1 and loosing to Toro Rosso.
    As I said I doubt a supercar buyer will care about what the F1 team is doing as it really has no relevance.
    Forza Ferrari

As I said I doubt a supercar buyer will care about what the F1 team is doing as it really has no relevance.
    Perception is reality. If the road car division think the crappy F1 team is hurting sales, they will drop the team.

Agree to disagree on that point, I suppose, but I believe the rest of my assessment is accurate.

I wouldn't say it has no relevance. It definitely carries some weight within my family, but we're probably the exception, not the rule.

Disappointed Since 2010

There will be no win for Ferrari this year. With the improved form RBR is showing, I doubt Ferrari will even end up second best.

We have to face it, the team as we all knew it, as we learned to love it, is gone.

It will flounder somewhere between runner up and mediocre for the foreseeable future because the attitude within the team hasn't changed despite years of failure. They may build a decent hare here and there, but will always fail due to poor in-season development. Excuses will rain down, but excuses are like butholes, everyone has 'em, and they all stink. With the new agreement, they will lose their Veto powers which they rarely use to begin with. Ferrari's influence in F1 will continue to decline. Eventually they will be a midfield team at which point the company will pull the plus because it looks bad for their road car division, and that's where the money is. Alonso couldn't reverse the trend, Vettel couldn't reverse the trend, and Charles' talents will be wasted trying to reverse the trend. All because they refuse to see the forest through the trees. Refuse to hire a shark who will lead the team be ruthless against the FIA and the other teams. One meek beta male after the next. Oh well.
    Most all Ferrari's are sold in the USA. As soon as someone here makes it big, #1 priority has been for years, to buy a Ferrari. And for the most part even among the lucky buyers, here in the USA it's "Formula who? What's F-1 ? " I don't follow soccer1 I believe Ferrari road car sales are safe but for sure a future WCC will not hurt. Germany may well be the exception buying a Mrec over a Ferrari if that's not already the case. Remember the Mercs comes with Pirelli no extra charge!

Ferrari could be last place and I'd still buy a 488(I wish) lol
    Interviewer: “The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?”
    Kimi: “It protects my head.”

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    I wouldn't say it has no relevance. It definitely carries some weight within my family, but we're probably the exception, not the rule.
    What supercar did you buy and why was it based on F1 results?
    Forza Ferrari

How things looks now, no light at the end of the tunnel, I don't see anything soon will resolve in a good way....
    But as Greig said Ferrari used to be in this position plenty of time in the past...

What supercar did you buy and why was it based on F1 results?
    1999 Ferrari 550 Maranello, but it's more of a grand tourer.

Before you guys all think my family is loaded, it was purchased in 2008 at the bottom of the market, so the car was basically 10 years old.

It was not purchased based purely on F1 results, but the history of Enzo Ferrari creating Scuderia Ferrari, the winningest team in motorsports, does play a role in the mystique of their road cars, otherwise it wouldn't be any better than a Lamborghini. Fun fact: both Michael Schumacher and Niki Lauda played a role in the car's development. I believe Lauda said something along the lines of it being the first Ferrari he wouldn't mind owning.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    1999 Ferrari 550 Maranello, but it's more of a grand tourer.

Before you guys all think my family is loaded, it was purchased in 2008 at the bottom of the market, so the car was basically 10 years old.
    sounds like a nice investment.