Thread: Sebastian Vettel: 'We have got to make up for last year' at Hockenheim

Sebastian Vettel: 'We have got to make up for last year' at Hockenheim

One year on from the incident that wounded his F1 championship hopes, Sebastian Vettel returns to Hockenheim with a point to prove.

Sebastian Vettel says he has "got to make up for last year" at the German Grand Prix this weekend as he returns to the site of one of the biggest errors of his Formula 1 career.

Vettel was on course to take his first victory at Hockenheim last year after dominating the race, only to crash out while leading with 16 laps to go when a rain shower hit the circuit.

The mistake paved the way for Lewis Hamilton to take victory after starting 14th on the grid, giving the Mercedes driver a championship lead he did not relinquish as he clinched a fifth world title with three races to spare.

While Vettel returns to Hockenheim this weekend 100 points behind Hamilton in the drivers' championship and with bleak title aspirations, the German driver still has unfinished business at his home event.

“We have got to make up for last year, especially myself, and I look forward to racing in Hockenheim," Vettel said in Ferrari's race preview.

"The atmosphere is always phenomenal and the crowd is great. I remember a lot of German flags around the track from last year, which I really enjoyed.

"In terms of the track, it looks quite simple and straightforward at first sight. Especially the last part is very enjoyable but it is also very technical entering the Motodrom. There are a lot of fans there and I think that’s definitely the highlight of the track.

"I would say that Turn 1 is probably one of the most tricky corners. It is very fast and is over before you notice, so it is important to get a good feeling straight away to set you off on the right foot for the rest of the lap."

Ferrari F1 chief Mattia Binotto echoed Vettel's thoughts, as well as confirming there would be no specific upgrade package being brought to Hockenheim as the team looks to pick up its first win of the season.

"For us, the German Grand Prix is first and foremost Sebastian’s home race. Therefore we really hope to do well at Hockenheim, especially after last year’s race here, when the win escaped us at the end of a weekend where our performance was definitely up to the task," Binotto said.

"We are not bringing any specific updates, but studying the data from the last round in Silverstone has provided us with useful information in our quest to get a better understanding of our car."

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/925744...ear-hockenheim
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

"We ' ! is the correct word! Both drivers need to go at it from pole to race checkered flag ! Seb want's his home team win , rightfully so , Charles want's and we fans need him to get that 1st win !! F-1 at it's best come this race! 5 drivers fighting hard for that win, podium spot. It should be great , not at all boring. Forget the tires!

I don't trust weather forecasts too much, but several sites are predicting thundery showers at Hockenheim over the weekend. Maybe Seb will have another chance to win in the rain

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    I don't trust weather forecasts too much, but several sites are predicting thundery showers at Hockenheim over the weekend. Maybe Seb will have another chance to win in the rain
    If it rains, Max or Lewis will take the cake. Not that Vettel isn't good in the wet, but Max and Hamilton are the rain masters on the grid.

Quote Originally Posted by Real View Post
    If it rains, Max or Lewis will take the cake. Not that Vettel isn't good in the wet, but Max and Hamilton are the rain masters on the grid.
    With one race of Max in rain you can’t term a driver as master or blaster.
    After that there were couple of wet races where max was not on the same level of his previous best.

It’s all about driver Skill, Mechanical grip, Confidence level on the car. Even Williams qualified ahead of ferrari last time in wet quali, such is our car in wet conditions.