Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819

Thread: Singapore GP 2019 Race

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    LeClerc seemed pleasantly surprised, though fratello. Remarked that the car (I’m paraphrasing) was very good especially considering that it was a “non Ferrari” track. Huge step forward, IMHO, keeping in mind that Ferrari jumped 4 positions or so, again on a track “not suited” to us. Imagine on a Ferrari favoring track
    I think everyone is surprised, even Binotto. After Sochi we have Suzuka (then Mexico), COTA and Interlagos with a lot of twisty sections and also high-speed parts. So it will be really interesting to see the aero being put up for a test at these circuits and at the same time trying to maintain the straight line speed and great early acceleration out of corners.

Quote Originally Posted by 512 TR View Post
    Another thing to have in mind is that there is no way of knowing how the race would have ended without the three safety cars. As it turned out everybody at the front left a lot of laps in the hard tyres thanks to the SCs, but without them it's anybody's guess how the tyre degradation would have played out for all three teams. Lewis had the best tyres and once that cliff comes for the top three it comes fast but thanks to the SCs it never happened. So even if it seems Ferrari have made a huge step forward with the aero updates for this kind of circuits let's wait and see if the team can repeat it when they have to race basicly the entire distance. Sochi also has a lot of 90 degree turns so it might be comparable even though the circuit is a lot faster than Singapore. I doubt we'll see three safety cars in the race.
    Well, just before the 1st SC, we where the fastest on the track,we where gaining almost 0,5 from Ves (and Ves from Ham) .After the 1st and 2nd SC again we had the best pace.Only on the last 5-6 laps we didnt look so fast and Bot did a very fast FL.But as you said,we dont know what would have happened without the SCs ,BUT as I saw it (trying to be as objective as I can 1stly for myself) when we where starting to have some problems with degradation (if when had) we whould manage to have quite a big margin from Ves( my quess from the pace difference I saw ) probably more then 10 sec,so we wouldn't have any problems!!!!And dont forget that Ham should have to pass Ves 1st before attacking to us (if he could)
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Mexico S1 could be a destruction of the competitors. Could gain as much as 0.5s on that straight. All Team have high downforce setup there. We could add more downforce and still have a decent top spred.

All is open. For 2020 I am quietly optimistic about our title chances.

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Well, just before the 1st SC, we where the fastest on the track,we where gaining almost 0,5 from Ves (and Ves from Ham) .After the 1st and 2nd SC again we had the best pace.Only on the last 5-6 laps we didnt look so fast and Bot did a very fast FL.But as you said,we dont know what would have happened without the SCs ,BUT as I saw it (trying to be as objective as I can 1stly for myself) when we where starting to have some problems with degradation (if when had) we whould manage to have quite a big margin from Ves( my quess from the pace difference I saw ) probably more then 10 sec,so we wouldn't have any problems!!!!And dont forget that Ham should have to pass Ves 1st before attacking to us (if he could)
    Yup. I very much have the impression that SC’s helped Merc, not us

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Wow. Even Rosberg was impressed. Guess Vettel's outlap was better than some here thought.

“And in the race, the strategy might not have been in his favour but the out lap Vettel did on those hard tyres was surely one of the best laps he’s ever done. It was absolutely epic, the computer calculated you should be able to gain about two-seconds and he gained three 3.4-seconds on Charles.

“He did the absolute most epic out-lap the world has ever seen so, you know, if you do the job there in those crucial moments then you somewhat deserve the race win."

Maybe just a little over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    Wow. Even Rosberg was impressed. Guess Vettel's outlap was better than some here thought.

“And in the race, the strategy might not have been in his favour but the out lap Vettel did on those hard tyres was surely one of the best laps he’s ever done. It was absolutely epic, the computer calculated you should be able to gain about two-seconds and he gained three 3.4-seconds on Charles.

“He did the absolute most epic out-lap the world has ever seen so, you know, if you do the job there in those crucial moments then you somewhat deserve the race win."

Maybe just a little over the top.
    Dunno fratello. Rosberg has nothing to gain, and possibly something to lose (with his team) for saying this. It sounds like the genuine reaction of someone in awe of what he saw.
    To which I'll add: attaboy Seb. Bring home a few Ferrari titles then hand it over to Charley to bring home a bunch more.
    Thanks for posting this
    If you can, please add a source

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Vittorio View Post
    No, you get off your high horse and don't lecture the rest of us on how we should or should not support this team. EACH OF US decides that, buddy boy, not you.

And, no, we don't have to support the drivers equally. What is this, a democracy or a sports team?! Sometimes, as much as one loves Ferrari, there will be a driver one prefers to another. That bias is natural for any team.

Is that so difficult to understand? Do try.

And, my word, this forum is positively crawling with so many pearl-clutching hall monitors, it's like being in some awful school crossed with a knitting club!

Guess I have to break my own promise of not to engage with Vettel fans.

I support Ferrari above all else, but I also support those of whom I think performing well for the team and carrying it forward, and I don't have any sympathy for those, due to their own incompetence, putting this team down. Not long ago people here were asking for Jock Clear's head, because they thought Clear was responsible for our strategic blunders. Then they were crying for Rueda's resignation, because again they held him responsible for bad strategy calls. And the pattern is very clear, not doing their jobs properly and costing Ferrari valuable points.

And now we have a driver, who's being paid 50 millions per year, past 2 years provided with great cars and wasted them due to his own sheer incompetence. After Silverstone, Italian media called Vettel "Captain Fracassa", and imo rightfully so. And I don't think Tifosi's in Italy really like Vettel that much, and why would they anyway. People already see Leclerc as the next Gilles Villeneuve, and after winning Monza, he has consolidated tifosi's belief in him.

Never liked Alonso when he was driving for Renault/Mclaren, but as soon as he joined Ferrari I changed my opinion about him. Always liked Felipe, a real Ferrari driver.

But I haven't changed my opinion about Vettel. Yeah, he jokes and says nice things outside of the car, but who cars. Remember how he accused Ferrari of playing dirty tactics with him, or all those drama's with Webber at Red Bull. To me that is the real Vettel. How he deliberately clashed with Hamilton in Baku 2017 and costed us a victory. And all those spinning and crashing, can't remember any Ferrari driver who had made as many errors as Vettel.

Is it possible that Ferrari have made the most progress during this season? If you consider that Mercedes were expecting to be struggling at last year's Singapore event but came out the most competitive, then it's of great significance that Ferrari have checkmated Mercedes this year by going in as the underdogs but coming out as the most feared. Looking at where Ferrari stood this time last year where they were good on low speed tracks but surprisingly not quick enough then to outpace Mercedes at Singapore, again, then Ferrari would appear to have trumped the competition by implementing a new upgrade that works. Going by our Monza and Singapore pace, you would have to say that Ferrari now has a package that's even better than the previous two years, which is some achievement!

Quote Originally Posted by From Treviso View Post
    Is it possible that Ferrari have made the most progress during this season? If you consider that Mercedes were expecting to be struggling at last year's Singapore event but came out the most competitive, then it's of great significance that Ferrari have checkmated Mercedes this year by going in as the underdogs but coming out as the most feared. Looking at where Ferrari stood this time last year where they were good on low speed tracks but surprisingly not quick enough then to outpace Mercedes at Singapore, again, then Ferrari would appear to have trumped the competition by implementing a new upgrade that works. Going by our Monza and Singapore pace, you would have to say that Ferrari now has a package that's even better than the previous two years, which is some achievement!
    I would say like 50-50.
    Ferrari had narrow wins in Spa & Monza. Which reflects that we need work on race pace. Mercs is till the best car out there.
    But in Singapore, yes we made progress kudos to the team. But in the next coming tracks it show the true picture, whether we made excellent progress or not.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    I would say like 50-50.
    Ferrari had narrow wins in Spa & Monza. Which reflects that we need work on race pace. Mercs is till the best car out there.
    But in Singapore, yes we made progress kudos to the team. But in the next coming tracks it show the true picture, whether we made excellent progress or not.
    Ferrari had one of the poorest gains this year as opposed to the majority of teams. So going by that, the fact that Ferrari was ahead of Mercedes, which dominated this time last year at Singapore, means it's safe to say that we have out-gained them at this point in time. Sure, they were fast in the race, but we also know Ferrari were holding back mostly but had the pace when required. The big test for Ferrari is generating tyre heat on cooler tracks, which was never going to be an issue at the hot Singapore venue.

Hi can anyone copy and paste the article

https://www.autosport.com/f1/feature...agement-lesson

Quote Originally Posted by mizf1 View Post
    Hi can anyone copy and paste the article

https://www.autosport.com/f1/feature...agement-lesson
    Here you go:

The Singapore Grand Prix lights were a little too dim for some on the pitwall to think straight, and Ferrari ended up with a very disgruntled driver taking second in its first 1-2 finish of the year by accidentally reversing its cars' positions with its strategy.

But, actually, the main team-management problem in Singapore happened at Mercedes, rather than Ferrari.

Firstly, both Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas were left out too long on the softs when the writing was clearly on the wall after Sebastian Vettel had pitted at the end of lap 19 of 61.

But they kept on running despite losing over a second a lap, with Bottas not stopping until lap 22 and Hamilton lap 26 - even though Mercedes could see how the Vettel/Charles Leclerc situation was playing out.

The pace at the front of the race meant every driver knew that, on a fresh set of tyres, they could find a minimum of two seconds per lap. But with Leclerc backing everyone up to keep the gaps in traffic to a minimum, the decisions were all being made with track position post-stop in mind.

Looking just at Hamilton, Vettel and Max Verstappen the gaps were minimal. So Hamilton could have done exactly the same thing as Vettel and Verstappen. Even if he had done it a lap later, by which point Vettel had dropped into a clear track and shown everyone just how fast a top car on fresh hards could be, he would not have lost as much time and could have come out in a position to attack.

Instead, Mercedes ran both drivers long on tyres that were well past their best, in Hamilton's case mainly in the hope of a safety car. Unfortunately for Mercedes, this wasn't a repeat of 2008 when, for 'some reason' the safety car came out just at the right time for Fernando Alonso after his Renault team-mate Nelson Piquet Jr crashed. The safety car did come out three times, but all far too late to help Hamilton.

What I don't understand is that the teams have the tools to predict where a car will drop into traffic after a pitstop. It's not rocket science and sometimes you have to have confidence that a five-time world champion, one of the best overtakers out there and in a car that is the class of the field, might just be able to pull off passes on the likes of Lance Stroll and Pierre Gasly.

Secondly, ordering Bottas to run to a specific lap time so that he and the following Alex Albon didn't get ahead of Hamilton shows that whatever his new contract for 2020 says, Bottas is the definite number two at Mercedes.

A team swapping places as the race nears an end because of differing strategies to optimise one driver's points is one thing, but to slow down your second driver before even half-distance is ridiculous and it threw away any chance of Bottas improving his position later in the race.

Team boss Toto Wolff admitted it was a "not great" call to make. Bottas - who had already been unsettled by some qualifying tactics confusion with Hamilton on Saturday - said he could accept the instruction to slow down and hold Albon up because he knew under Mercedes' intra-team rules Hamilton had tactical priority as fastest qualifier.

But the driver ahead getting first call on pitstops is acceptable. The driver behind being asked to slow down so their team-mate stays ahead of them after a pitstop is a step beyond. And though Bottas was adamant Hamilton would get the same order if their situations were reversed, fans are getting very used to seeing Bottas coming off second-best in these decisions.

There was no problem with what Ferrari did. Leclerc was upset that his team called in Vettel a lap earlier that he was, meaning the four-time world champion was able to pull off the undercut and go on to win. But the Vettel stop was a reaction to Verstappen, who was about to pit, and to attack Hamilton. What else could Ferrari do?

Vettel's pace on the new hard tyres in clear air was better than Ferrari expected, giving a more powerful undercut, and given that the team needs to get his confidence back, it wasn't necessarily a bad thing for him to win.

Ferrari got a 1-2 and, in reality, it doesn't matter who wins and who is second. Had Vettel not pitted when he did, Ferrari would not have finished first and second. It was the right strategy, even if Leclerc was unhappy with it.

Leclerc was fairly emotional when he got the news that this wasn't going to be his third win in a row and he was clearly hoping Ferrari would swap them back. But this race could so easily have gone the other way for Vettel and then we would be criticising Ferrari for getting it wrong.

I've criticised Ferrari at times this season, but recently the team has shown that it's getting its act together and it got this strategy completely right. Ferrari took the bull by the horns and committed to that early call, then Vettel took no prisoners while cutting through the traffic.

It was great to see that Ferrari had an upgrade that levelled the playing field at a track where everyone thought Mercedes, or perhaps Red Bull, would dominate.

The theory that Ferrari's main problem was not being able to generate enough downforce was, in my opinion, a bit questionable. Its real problem was getting the front end to balance the car when it was running high downforce levels.

This all seems to be a thing of the past now - or that's what it looks like at face value. We'll find out more in Russia this weekend.

There has never been a Formula 1 race at Sochi not won by a Mercedes driver, so the champion team won't take things lying down, which can only enhance the battle over the rest of the season.
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

[QUOTE=vcs316;1018440]Here you go:

The Singapore Grand Prix lights were a little too dim for some on the pitwall to think straight, and Ferrari ended up with a very disgruntled driver taking second in its first 1-2 finish of the year by accidentally reversing its cars' positions with its strategy.

But, actually, the main team-management problem in Singapore happened at Mercedes, rather than Ferrari.

Firstly, both Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas were left out too long on the softs when the writing was clearly on the wall after Sebastian Vettel had pitted at the end of lap 19 of 61.

But they kept on running despite losing over a second a lap, with Bottas not stopping until lap 22 and Hamilton lap 26 - even though Mercedes could see how the Vettel/Charles Leclerc situation was playing out.

The pace at the front of the race meant every driver knew that, on a fresh set of tyres, they could find a minimum of two seconds per lap. But with Leclerc backing everyone up to keep the gaps in traffic to a minimum, the decisions were all being made with track position post-stop in mind.

Looking just at Hamilton, Vettel and Max Verstappen the gaps were minimal. So Hamilton could have done exactly the same thing as Vettel and Verstappen. Even if he had done it a lap later, by which point Vettel had dropped into a clear track and shown everyone just how fast a top car on fresh hards could be, he would not have lost as much time and could have come out in a position to attack.

Instead, Mercedes ran both drivers long on tyres that were well past their best, in Hamilton's case mainly in the hope of a safety car. Unfortunately for Mercedes, this wasn't a repeat of 2008 when, for 'some reason' the safety car came out just at the right time for Fernando Alonso after his Renault team-mate Nelson Piquet Jr crashed. The safety car did come out three times, but all far too late to help Hamilton.

What I don't understand is that the teams have the tools to predict where a car will drop into traffic after a pitstop. It's not rocket science and sometimes you have to have confidence that a five-time world champion, one of the best overtakers out there and in a car that is the class of the field, might just be able to pull off passes on the likes of Lance Stroll and Pierre Gasly.

Secondly, ordering Bottas to run to a specific lap time so that he and the following Alex Albon didn't get ahead of Hamilton shows that whatever his new contract for 2020 says, Bottas is the definite number two at Mercedes.

A team swapping places as the race nears an end because of differing strategies to optimise one driver's points is one thing, but to slow down your second driver before even half-distance is ridiculous and it threw away any chance of Bottas improving his position later in the race.

Team boss Toto Wolff admitted it was a "not great" call to make. Bottas - who had already been unsettled by some qualifying tactics confusion with Hamilton on Saturday - said he could accept the instruction to slow down and hold Albon up because he knew under Mercedes' intra-team rules Hamilton had tactical priority as fastest qualifier.

But the driver ahead getting first call on pitstops is acceptable. The driver behind being asked to slow down so their team-mate stays ahead of them after a pitstop is a step beyond. And though Bottas was adamant Hamilton would get the same order if their situations were reversed, fans are getting very used to seeing Bottas coming off second-best in these decisions.

There was no problem with what Ferrari did. Leclerc was upset that his team called in Vettel a lap earlier that he was, meaning the four-time world champion was able to pull off the undercut and go on to win. But the Vettel stop was a reaction to Verstappen, who was about to pit, and to attack Hamilton. What else could Ferrari do?

Vettel's pace on the new hard tyres in clear air was better than Ferrari expected, giving a more powerful undercut, and given that the team needs to get his confidence back, it wasn't necessarily a bad thing for him to win.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs316 View Post
    Here you go:

Ferrari got a 1-2 and, in reality, it doesn't matter who wins and who is second. Had Vettel not pitted when he did, Ferrari would not have finished first and second. It was the right strategy, even if Leclerc was unhappy with it.

Leclerc was fairly emotional when he got the news that this wasn't going to be his third win in a row and he was clearly hoping Ferrari would swap them back. But this race could so easily have gone the other way for Vettel and then we would be criticising Ferrari for getting it wrong.

I've criticised Ferrari at times this season, but recently the team has shown that it's getting its act together and it got this strategy completely right. Ferrari took the bull by the horns and committed to that early call, then Vettel took no prisoners while cutting through the traffic.

It was great to see that Ferrari had an upgrade that levelled the playing field at a track where everyone thought Mercedes, or perhaps Red Bull, would dominate.

The theory that Ferrari's main problem was not being able to generate enough downforce was, in my opinion, a bit questionable. Its real problem was getting the front end to balance the car when it was running high downforce levels.

This all seems to be a thing of the past now - or that's what it looks like at face value. We'll find out more in Russia this weekend.

There has never been a Formula 1 race at Sochi not won by a Mercedes driver, so the champion team won't take things lying down, which can only enhance the battle over the rest of the season.

Most of the article is just gibberish, but the last three sentences were quite good. Going by the attitudes of the Ferraris at the Singapore and comments made by Martin Brundel, Karun Chandhok, Anthony Davidson and Paul di Resta, it looks like the rear of the Ferraris are nicely glued to the track, which means they were able to dial in more downforce at the front. The new front wing needed a better rear floor to work, which they managed to do!

singapore is a full downforce track. Let' see if the upgrades can be transitioned to a lower downforce setup. If it works well at Sochi.. the rest of the season is going to be exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    singapore is a full downforce track. Let' see if the upgrades can be transitioned to a lower downforce setup. If it works well at Sochi.. the rest of the season is going to be exciting.
    That I agree and I hope that can happen

"Big things have small beginings"
    "Perseverence is power"

The out lap by Vettel brought back memories of Michael. He was and still is, the master of the out lap.

We have gained a lot of downforce in the slow corners, but I am still cautiously optimistic in the coming races. Tires were not a factor in this race, and we are still using the Merc spec tires We would find out if indeed we have solved all our gremlins in the final 6 races of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by darkchild View Post
    He isnt delivering and hasnt deliver for last 2 seaons, thats the point. He was slower today, slower yesterday and will likely be slower in Sochi, thats all I am saying.
    But he delivered a P1 in Singapore. What are you talking about?
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    PIC
    PIC
    PIC
    PIC
    Nice photos. I'd add a few more.

Fabulous images, looks even better under the lights and our ragazzi certainly lit up Singapore, dare we hope for more in SochI?

Wow Rob and tifosi1993: outstanding!
    Grazie!

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post

People already see Leclerc as the next Gilles Villeneuve, and after winning Monza, he has consolidated tifosi's belief in him.
    You know, believe it or not, but watching Charley qualify, this is exactly what came to my mind. He races with .....s. I think that that is awesome in this sometimes sadly sanitized day in F1. I look forward to many years of him in red.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    You know, believe it or not, but watching Charley qualify, this is exactly what came to my mind. He races with .....s. I think that that is awesome in this sometimes sadly sanitized day in F1. I look forward to many years of him in red.
    Not just qualify, it's the whole attitude. There is passion, there's even a level of crazy. I talk with people outside this forum, they think he pretends, my answer to him is , "you simply don't understand him, yet". lol
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Not just qualify, it's the whole attitude. There is passion, there's even a level of crazy. I talk with people outside this forum, they think he pretends, my answer to him is , "you simply don't understand him, yet". lol
    Haha
    Your sig is brilliant, btw, file mou

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

I made a wallpaper for mobile if someone wants it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Schumiklub View Post

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c8d533c827.png

Awesome... thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Schumiklub View Post

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c8d533c827.png

Stunning! Thanks fratello

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus