Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Russian Grand Prix: Free Practices & Qualifying

I am starting to like our approach of low drag concept. If we gain so much on straights with adding more downforce while not sacrificing that straight line speed, I think we might be faster than mercedes. But let's see what our racepace is. But the outwash philosophy might be our Eureka. It's so good to see light at the end of a dark tunnel. So good to see that hard work by our team is finally paying off. I think appointing Binotto on the position of Arrivabene has been a good choice. Although it took a bit for him to grow into that role at the start of the season. I think Arrivabene wasn't bad, but I think Binotto is much knowledgeable about our car. Together with two great drivers. We have a good package and things are paying off.

Fourth consecutive pole for Charles

Sochi, 28 September 2019 – Scuderia Ferrari secured its seventh pole of the season, the sixth courtesy of Charles Leclerc, who was the only driver to get under the 1m 32s barrier at Sochi Autodrom. Tomorrow at 14.10 local (13.10 CET) the two SF90s will be in line astern on the grid, after Sebastian Vettel qualified third for the second race in a row, in both cases just behind Lewis Hamilton, by 29 thousandths in Singapore and 23 here in Sochi. This was Scuderia Ferrari’s 226th pole and, for the first time since 2008, the team has secured more than six poles in a season. Charles is the first Ferrari driver since Michael Schumacher to take four consecutive poles, the German having done so in Italy, the USA, Japan and Malaysia in 2000.

Q1. Mixed fortunes in the first part of qualifying, Charles immediately posted a good 1’33”613 on the Medium tyres, however Sebastian made a mistake in the third sector which meant he lifted off and aborted the run. From then on things got complicated, as on two occasions, as he tried to put in a quick lap, the yellow flags came out, because of incidents involving first Kubica and then Albon, which meant he had to lift off again. The Thai driver’s encounter with the barriers eventually brought out the red flag so that Sebastian had to make one final run on Soft tyres to easily make the cut to Q2 with a 1’33”032.

Q2. Charles now fitted Soft tyres for the first time and immediately did a good lap in 1’32”434. Sebastian however used the same set he’d used in Q1 to post a 1’33”091 which he later improved to 1’32”536 after pitting for a set of new Softs.

Q3. In this final session, Charles and Seb were able to run two sets each of Softs. On his first attempt the Monegasque stopped the clocks in 1’31”801, while the German did a 1’32”135. After changing tyres Charles got down to a 1’31”628 and Seb improved to 1’32”053, again just pipped by Hamilton by the smallest of margins.

All in the family. Charles was presented with the mini Pirelli tyre given to the man who is on pole by Robert Shwartzman. Earlier in the day, the Russian Ferrari Driver Academy student clinched the title in the Formula 3 championship with one race to go in the series. The race was won by fellow FDA driver Marcus Armstrong. Keeping it all in the family.

Charles Leclerc #16
    “The car was amazing to drive and the team did a great job anticipating the track evolution and setting up the car in the best way. We are just focusing on ourselves and the work we are doing seems to be slowly paying off. On my side, I continue focusing on the negative and working to improve and learn as much as I can.
    The lap in Q3 was great, apart from when I lost the rear a bit in turns 16 and 17. I’m still happy to end the day with a result like this, but I am already fully focused on the race now.

Our race pace was good in FP2, which is a positive sign. We will start the race on different tyres to our competitors, but I don’t think that there is a huge difference between the soft and medium compounds in terms of their degradation. It will be difficult and crucial to keep everyone behind at the start, because it’s a long way to turn two. I will give it all I’ve got.”

Sebastian Vettel #5
    “Overall I was reasonably happy with the car, but not entirely satisfied. Q1 was a bit complex as I made a mistake on my first attempt and then I was slowed by two yellow flags. I found it difficult to get into a clean rhythm, especially towards the end of Quali, when it was vital to extract the absolute maximum out of the car.

However the race is tomorrow and I am confident. We need a good start and then we can think about the rest of it. We start on the clean side, on the Softs while the Mercedes are on Mediums and being on different tyre strategies will make for an interesting fight. I believe we have made the right tyre choice for the start and I think we have an advantage over our rivals down the straight, so a tow might come into play.”

Mattia Binotto Team Principal
    quote We are very happy with the way qualifying went. Already yesterday we realised that our car was quick and today we delivered the result. Once again, Charles produced a good lap, even though he made a couple of small mistakes, which means he had the potential to do even better. It has to be said that the track surface here is very smooth, so it’s easy to make a mistake.

Seb qualified third, which might actually be better than second when it comes to tomorrow’s start, even if it would have been nice to have locked out the front row.
    The SF90 has improved and we have accelerated our development to have more drag and aero downforce. Also, thanks to the new package, we now lose out less in the corners and the overall balance is good.

As for the race, the key moment will probably be the start and another important aspect will be the fact we are starting on a different tyre compound to our competitors.”
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

There should be team orders for the start tomorrow that they have to give each other space and also a clear plan for how to get Vettel to Leclerc's tow so we can have them alongside one another but give Charles the inside line for Turn 2. We need to exploit our superior acceleration, better tyres and clean side to perfection to get Leclerc P1 and Vettel P2 out of S1 tomorrow and from then on it shouldn't be too hard to seal a 1-2 to be honest. Mercedes won't try and pit before half distance for sure so the undercut risk would be minimal, we just need them to work together to get the 1-2 in order at the end of lap one and from that moment on the Gandalf cars should be literally powerless to do anything about it. Even if the pit at say lap 35 for softs, by then they'd emerge 10-15 seconds adrift (assuming Charles leads) and with us being on mediums that won't wear too much.

Like I suspected, Seb still struggling in some way with the car. Yes the car is a little bit more planted with the new updates, but he still hasnt got the same good feeling with the throttle and braking, as he had in his best years. I have been following him since 2007.

Today this is what happened. Seb vs Charles lap comparision.

Leclerc doens't lift completely the throttle, and is much earlier accelerating from turn 4.

This is also the cause for the slightly higher speed on the back straight and and the performance in Sector 2.

Both drivers have to do some corrections in Turn 16 and they lose time.

Every time Vettel exits a corner, he has to modulate the throttle, he can't just floor it, this is the major problem vs Leclerc, he seems to have no confidence on the rears.

https://f1ingenerale.com/f1-gp-russi...-come-leclerc/

I know when Ferrari and the whole team can add a little bit more rear stability and downforce to the car he will be back with a bang also in qualy. But dont know that will happen soon, and until than I expect Charles to be faster in the qualy than him. Race is an another story. This is the reality.

Seb and high drag + high downforce car Red Bull style= Much better for him
    Seb and low drag + low downforce cars 2019 style= Would never suit him, as he is sensitive in this department.
    Last edited by Vettel165; 28th September 2019 at 19:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Vettel165 View Post
    Seb and low drag + low downforce cars 2019 style= Would never suit him, as he is sensitive in this department.
    Unfortunately, this is what separates the good from the great. Schumacher and Alonso were like lions no matter the car type and I see those signs growing for Leclerc as well. Vettel did have a great moment with the high-downforce era double-diffuser cars but he's not quite been the same since. For that reason alone, I doubt we'll ever see 2013-Seb again. I'd like to be wrong if it would happen in red but I fail to see how.
    Last edited by Tifoso Svedese; 28th September 2019 at 20:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso Svedese View Post
    Unfortunately, this is what separates the good from the great. Schumacher and Alonso were like lions no matter the car type and I see those signs growing for Leclerc as well. Vettel did have a great moment with the high-downforce era double-diffuser cars but he's not quite been the same since.
    Exactly my thoughts too. That’s why he’s never in the level of MS & Alonso. He can’t adapt to the car which is not liking to him. But when he gets it right, he’s unbeatable. It’s the point of right or wrong that’s it.

I agree with you, I’m seeing adaptability in car from Lec.

Like I suspected, Seb still struggling in some way with the car. Yes the car is a little bit more planted with the new updates, but he still hasnt got the same good feeling with the throttle and braking, as he had in his best years. I have been following him since 2007.

Leclerc doens't lift completely the throttle, and is much earlier accelerating from turn 4.

This is also the cause for the slightly higher speed on the back straight and and the performance in Sector 2.

Every time Vettel exits a corner, he has to modulate the throttle, he can't just floor it, this is the major problem vs Leclerc, he seems to have no confidence on the rears.

I know when Ferrari and the whole team can add a little bit more rear stability and downforce to the car he will be back with a bang also in qualy. But dont know that will happen soon, and until than I expect Charles to be faster in the qualy than him. Race is an another story. This is the reality.

I hear that too. Sev need a car with heigh downforce like Red Bull car and that is the reason he strugle.
    Also that is the same reason D Riccardo is struggling at Renault. Other believe that MV will have the same problem if he move to other team from Red Bull.
    Red Bull has being the bench mark on aero and down forse for the rest of the grid for many years.

"Big things have small beginings"
    "Perseverence is power"

Seb is old and cannot change his style any more while the youngster Charles has far troubles with this issue.
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Sky has a contract with formula 1 to be only broadcast channel? I tired of the comments.

"Big things have small beginings"
    "Perseverence is power"

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    You lucky man to be in Italy, stefa, you'll need to find a sports bar or somewhere with Sky Italia coverage, you will probably need a drink to calm your nerves! Charles on pole again is proving that we have a megastar on our hands, let's hope tomorrow brings us another good result, Seb starting 3rd could work in our favour too, but Merc's tyre choice may help them in the long run... Hamilton will always be there to try and spoil our fun and he did look ridiculous in those post-quali glasses, maybe he has been blinded by the red mist around him. Here's hoping for a great result tomorrow and well done to both Charles and Seb.
    Thank you! I look for some bar. Hopefully will get another 1-2!

In defense of Vettel, also Hammy is not very good in adversity either, like those losses to Button and Rosberg prove as well as his frequent struggles over one lap versus Bottas of all people. The 2007 McLaren was high-downforce and gripped really well in corners, not to mention it was the last generation of traction control, which evened out the incredible timing on the throttle Alonso has always had thereafter when he ended Piquet's, Massa's and Vandoorne's careers. Had it not been for those factors, Alonso would've trounced him just like he did in 2010-13 when our car was arguably worse than what Hammy was sitting in. Hammy is something in between Alonso and Vettel in raw ability, but for people who thinks he's better than Fernando, it's just absurd. Hammy could never ever have fought for the title in the 2010 and 2012 Ferrari's, cars in which Massa got lapped quite often. Let's keep it real. There are a lot of titles between Hammy and Seb, but none of them are on the level of the true all-commanding greats. I don't think Alonso is in the top six (Schumacher, Fangio, Senna, Prost, Clark, Ascari) but he's seventh for me, Lauda in eighth and Hammy may be ninth or tenth depending on where to put Sir Jackie.

It's a great shame we didn't get to keep Alonso on alongside Vettel because the 2017-18 cars might have given us that WDC and WCC would've been won twice for sure with that pairing.

Thats two races in a row that in years gone by Merc would have edged Ferrari to pole.

But now Leclerc is showing what the car is actually capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
    Seb is old and cannot change his style any more while the youngster Charles has far troubles with this issue.
    Seb is 32. Hardly old.

Its the drivers job to adapt and the engineers job to build the fastest car. If this rocketship on the straights is what continues to deliver poles and the drivers have to modulate the back in the low/medium corners then keep doing that.

I was skeptical but Charles is proving to be the read deal. If Ferrari can build a car, the team will have a bright future.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    I was skeptical but Charles is proving to be the read deal. If Ferrari can build a car, the team will have a bright future.
    skeptical???? are you ^&^%$%^ kidding me??? have you not seen that he gave class to his teammate last year and how well he was driving the Alfa???

OR have you NOT seen any of the races he was doing in 2016 in Formula 2??? the skill and racecraft he has even in teh lower series

i personally NEVER doubt him when he came to Ferrari and in fact i can't thank Ferrari enough for believing in him and bringing him on board.....

yes, HE IS THE REAL DEAL!!!! AND MANY MORE GOOD THINGS ARE YET TO COME FROM THIS YOUNGSTER...
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Says it all I TOTALLY agee.Remember the name CHARLES.

Lewis Charles LECREC is stealing no pole positions.He is simply beating you at your own game.one has to say that he is bloody good at it.Lewis you now have a serious player that has entered the game and like you Lewis he loves to win and go fastest of all enjoy the ride Lewis and mercedes because Charles is going no where .So you better get used to it.

As long as Lewis finishes 65 or more points ahead of Bottas at the end of this and the next races; he's WDC. It would take some bad DNFs to do other wise. That has to keep Charles safer from any tough moves by Lewis hat could cause anything bout say a 2,or 3rd. place finish for Lewis. I hope that Seb can do his part to hold of Bottas and R Bull if needed.

Charles had relatively poor S3, I’m sure he could’ve gone couple of tenths faster still. Incredible talent

Yeah, watching that video, Charles was fighting the car through a couple of the last corners... the lead would have been much bigger....

With that said, let's see the race pace... I still think Ferrari has a qualifying mode they can't reproduce in race... or maybe they just burn through their tyres faster....
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Yeah, watching that video, Charles was fighting the car through a couple of the last corners... the lead would have been much bigger....

With that said, let's see the race pace... I still think Ferrari has a qualifying mode they can't reproduce in race... or maybe they just burn through their tyres faster....
    I’ll take Monza win as hope, Mercs had no answer on long straights.

Car is now as fast as the Merc and Red Bull in slow speed corners.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    skeptical???? are you ^&^%$%^ kidding me??? have you not seen that he gave class to his teammate last year and how well he was driving the Alfa???

OR have you NOT seen any of the races he was doing in 2016 in Formula 2??? the skill and racecraft he has even in teh lower series

i personally NEVER doubt him when he came to Ferrari and in fact i can't thank Ferrari enough for believing in him and bringing him on board.....

yes, HE IS THE REAL DEAL!!!! AND MANY MORE GOOD THINGS ARE YET TO COME FROM THIS YOUNGSTER...
    2017 in F2.
    And of course, those of us who watched him in F2 always knew him to be the real deal.

Now we have another protégé in out rank. Shwartzman absolutely dominated the F3 this year, and he is definitely going to F2 next year. It would be good to have him at Prema in F2.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post

I was doubtful too. Actually I imagined Seb will wipe the floor with him. Who was his team mate ? Marcus Ericsson ? Hardly a benchmark. Even if you excel in lower competitions, it's not a guarantee that you will do great in F1 - see Bourdais...

Good thing that I was completely wrong though...

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Lewis Charles LECREC is stealing no pole positions.He is simply beating you at your own game.one has to say that he is bloody good at it.Lewis you now have a serious player that has entered the game and like you Lewis he loves to win and go fastest of all enjoy the ride Lewis and mercedes because Charles is going no where .So you better get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Infi24r View Post
    Its the drivers job to adapt and the engineers job to build the fastest car. If this rocketship on the straights is what continues to deliver poles and the drivers have to modulate the back in the low/medium corners then keep doing that.
    It is not the drivers job to adapt, the team must adapt the car to the driver. You can build the fastest car out there but if the driver can't drive it, it is useless. Ferrari adapted SF90 to suit Leclerc's driving style.

Charles Leclerc:
    I started the year trying to adapt myself to the car. After a few races I understood that maybe that wasn’t the right way to go forward and I asked the team to maybe adapt a little bit more the car to my driving. Then we did quite a big step forward.
    Vettel has an entirely different driving style and with current lack of downforce and rear stability, team can't do anything about it in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by chinmay View Post
    It is not the drivers job to adapt, the team must adapt the car to the driver. You can build the fastest car out there but if the driver can't drive it, it is useless. Ferrari adapted SF90 to suit Leclerc's driving style.

Charles Leclerc:

Vettel has an entirely different driving style and with current lack of downforce and rear stability, team can't do anything about it in 2019.
    Interesting. Its quite easy now to see the real picture. They probably changed the car massively after Canada. Because before that Seb was slightly faster than Charles in qualy, but after that race something big must have happen in terms of the car. Its more suited to Leclerc style, but this is why because he has shown more potential even before than Seb this year. Both made some crucial mistakes also.

Have a strange feeling about today, worried about the start. And Seb attacking even Charles with the double slipstream. Hope he will stay behind and take it easy.