Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 301 to 330 of 362

Thread: 2019 Mexican GP Race Thread

  1. #301
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Godric's Hollow
    Posts
    6,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Binotto saying they did not consider 1 stop when in the lead, it would be a gamble.....our forum experts know better.
    But they did take the gamble when Vettel was on the lead.

  2. #302
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    "If he passes him"....Again, how he's gonna overtake Bottas if our car is slower in race trim?
    Much fresher tires. Charles was faster than Bottas in the first few laps after he exited the pits and with that long straight he could have passed him. But Charles' advantage vanished in a few laps because he was simply too far behind(+8s).

  3. #303
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    slovenia
    Posts
    178
    The last two races, Ferrari's proceeds are poor in terms of qualifications. But I look at the 2020 season with optimism because the concept of the car is not wrong. The trend of the second part of this season indicates that the Ferrari may have a winning car in 2020.

  4. #304
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Slovenia, Maribor
    Posts
    923
    Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    But they did take the gamble when Vettel was on the lead.
    It was Vettel fixing his own strategy for the Team. Otherwise they would probably put him on the 2 stop strategy and would end up in fourth plače at the end. He said on the radio that he will stay out long.

  5. #305
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Godric's Hollow
    Posts
    6,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettel165 View Post
    It was Vettel fixing his own strategy for the Team. He said on the radio that he will stay out long.
    Good for him.
    If I was Vettel, I wouldn't trust Ferrari's strategy either.

    **** Rueda, don't know why Ferrari still keeping that clown in the team. Race after race he's screwing up the strategy.

  6. #306
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    29,260
    Was Bottas v Max looked at? Bottas seemed to know Max was there but then just cut his tyre anyway.
    Forza Ferrari

  7. #307
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Slovenia, Maribor
    Posts
    923
    Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Good for him.
    If I was Vettel, I wouldn't trust Ferrari's strategy either.

    **** Rueda, don't know why Ferrari still keeping that clown in the team. Race after race he's screwing up the strategy.
    Yeah we need a big change in this department if we think could challenge for the title next year. Its been happening since 2010 really. We need a new strategy guy.

  8. #308
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    29,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettel165 View Post
    Yeah we need a big change in this department if we think could challenge for the title next year. Its been happening since 2010 really. We need a new strategy guy.
    Loads of them on here, normally just good after the even though so not sure that will help.
    Forza Ferrari

  9. #309
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Helsinki
    Posts
    3,672
    1 Lewis Hamilton GBR Mercedes 363
    2 Valtteri Bottas FIN Mercedes 289
    3 Charles Leclerc MON Ferrari 236
    4 Sebastian Vettel GER Ferrari 230
    5 Max Verstappen NED Red Bull Racing Honda 220

  10. #310
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Babes&Whisky
    Posts
    2,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Was Bottas v Max looked at? Bottas seemed to know Max was there but then just cut his tyre anyway.
    You seem to imply that Bottas did that on purpose.

  11. #311
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    towradgi beach
    Posts
    1,352
    Ferrari need a crack strategy team this is the Ferrari archillies heel for to long now this injury goes on untreated.Ferrari has the car to win 100% but the little things keep slipping Ferrari up.I can only hope that this component of Ferrari is addressed in 2020 as a matter of urgency.Correcting the issues will give Ferrari a real solid chance next year with out doubt all other aspects of Ferrari are solid.

  12. #312
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,495
    That's just the way it is today.

    I will say though, that any time someone at Ferrari says not to worry and to rely Mercedes's tires droping off at the end of the race, they should be fired right on the spot. Their tires NEVER drop off at the end of the race. They've perfected how to use them and will nail their strategy literally 99% of the time.

    Oh, and fire the malfunctioning torque wrench that ruined Leclerc's race.


    Disappointed Since 2010

  13. #313
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    324
    Great interviews with both Seb and Charles on Dutch Ziggo TV.

    Charles didn't want to do a one-stopper and took all the blame for that.

    As we all know the pole was a present but was a very welcome one for me at least

    6 poles in a row, 13 consecutive races on the podium and being and often fighting at the front of every race since the summer break.

    And compared to the last years, so far a great second half of the season for the Scuderia

    Look forward to Austin. Forza Scuderia, Seb and Charles

  14. #314
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    India
    Posts
    9,336
    Quote Originally Posted by wappad View Post
    Great interviews with both Seb and Charles on Dutch Ziggo TV.

    Charles didn't want to do a one-stopper and took all the blame for that.

    As we all know the pole was a present but was a very welcome one for me at least

    6 poles in a row, 13 consecutive races on the podium and being and often fighting at the front of every race since the summer break.

    And compared to the last years, so far a great second half of the season for the Scuderia

    Look forward to Austin. Forza Scuderia, Seb and Charles
    Charles has matured a lot. He’s correcting himself if he commits as mistake, looking for the betterment everytime.
    Only thing which he lacks right now is Tyre management. If he improves it, then he’s unstoppable.
    Coming to vettel, he’s getting there in quali. In race he’s always on top.

    Strategy, I feel it’s right. As Lec was struggling at the front to build a gap with those Medium tyres. So ferrari took the call.
    While vettel was managing the tyres, still Ferrari thought to bring him in. But vettel took the call to stay out.
    If not traffic issue & Lec pit stop error, vettel/Lec would have been lot closer to Ham n challenge him.

    All in all, merc are playing with strategy in race to beat Ferrari. They’ve understood the formula.
    Now it’s time for Ferrari to respond n convert those 1-2 quali form to race wins/ 1-2 finish etc.

  15. #315
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    India
    Posts
    9,336

  16. #316
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    hong kong
    Posts
    1,519
    Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    When asked about the possibility of a protest by Autosport on the Mexico grid, Binotto said: "I would be happy because then we can show how stupid they are, and stop the rumours."


  17. #317
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stowmarket. U.K
    Posts
    18,130
    Sebastian Vettel #5
    “We didn’t get is so wrong today. It was simply a case of not believing that the hard tyres could last so long, considering how early in the race Lewis pitted. He took a risk and it paid off. For our part, we tried both strategies; two stops for Charles and one for me and the final result proves that both of them were good.

    On Friday, we had a lot of graining, while today there was none and that made the difference, helping those who decided to take the risk.
    Obviously, we can’t be pleased with this result, because when you start from the front row, as a team, you expect to win. In the closing laps we lacked the speed to try and go for the win. For Lewis and Valtteri, everything went really perfectly, while maybe we were just a bit unlucky.”

    Charles Leclerc #16
    “Starting a race from pole and not finishing first is always disappointing. The beginning of the race went well, and I managed to stay in the lead for the first stint. Wanting to cover off Alex (Albon), we pitted early and committed to a two-stop strategy.

    After my first stop the race was very tricky: my second stint was difficult and any time I approached a car ahead I struggled with overheating and couldn’t overtake.
    All in all, it’s a shame but if there is something I can learn from today it is to try to help the team more with my feedback from inside the car so that we can make the best call together.”

    Mattia Binotto Team Principal
    “No doubt we cannot say we are happy today, as starting first and second you expect a different outcome. It was a long afternoon and we knew it would be a tough race, managing the tyres. In terms of strategy, who was behind took a gamble and decided to go for a very early one-stop, which is what you do when you are not in front. Well done to them.

    Two-stop strategy was still a good strategy but Charles’ second stint on Medium was not great and we need to understand why, he also lost some time at the pitstop and all of that gave him some disadvantage at the end of the race.

    This unexpected behaviour of the tyres is probably the main surprise today. But in the end I think we had a good pace today and a good qualy yesterday and this is what is reassuring and encouraging us, so we are looking forward to the next races.”
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

  18. #318
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Christchurch,UK
    Posts
    4,036
    Outdone again by Merc's lucky strategy and pit-stop problems for Charles plus a few mistakes on track, but seeing HAM on top of the podium yet again is enough to make me throw up, and he makes out it was such a struggle to keep our cars behind him. Crap. Brundle summed it up about cars not being able to get close enough to try an overtake, things have to change. Seb did a good job keeping BOT behind him but Charles once again lost out in strategy terms, even though it was a reasonable decision at the time. Disappointing but hardly unexpected given our race pace generally, and HAM's luck never ceases to amaze me.

  19. #319
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    India
    Posts
    9,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Sebastian Vettel #5
    “We didn’t get is so wrong today. It was simply a case of not believing that the hard tyres could last so long, considering how early in the race Lewis pitted. He took a risk and it paid off. For our part, we tried both strategies; two stops for Charles and one for me and the final result proves that both of them were good.

    On Friday, we had a lot of graining, while today there was none and that made the difference, helping those who decided to take the risk.
    Obviously, we can’t be pleased with this result, because when you start from the front row, as a team, you expect to win. In the closing laps we lacked the speed to try and go for the win. For Lewis and Valtteri, everything went really perfectly, while maybe we were just a bit unlucky.”

    Charles Leclerc #16
    “Starting a race from pole and not finishing first is always disappointing. The beginning of the race went well, and I managed to stay in the lead for the first stint. Wanting to cover off Alex (Albon), we pitted early and committed to a two-stop strategy.

    After my first stop the race was very tricky: my second stint was difficult and any time I approached a car ahead I struggled with overheating and couldn’t overtake.
    All in all, it’s a shame but if there is something I can learn from today it is to try to help the team more with my feedback from inside the car so that we can make the best call together.”

    Mattia Binotto Team Principal
    “No doubt we cannot say we are happy today, as starting first and second you expect a different outcome. It was a long afternoon and we knew it would be a tough race, managing the tyres. In terms of strategy, who was behind took a gamble and decided to go for a very early one-stop, which is what you do when you are not in front. Well done to them.

    Two-stop strategy was still a good strategy but Charles’ second stint on Medium was not great and we need to understand why, he also lost some time at the pitstop and all of that gave him some disadvantage at the end of the race.

    This unexpected behaviour of the tyres is probably the main surprise today. But in the end I think we had a good pace today and a good qualy yesterday and this is what is reassuring and encouraging us, so we are looking forward to the next races.”
    Good answer to few of them here who are suspecting Ferrari strategy.

  20. #320
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Slovenia, Maribor
    Posts
    923
    What do you think about Austin
    Will it be better than Mexico?

  21. #321
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    604
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettel165 View Post
    What do you think about Austin
    Will it be better than Mexico?
    Mirror image of Suzuka. Two stops a must. Good chance of a pole for either driver, very little chance to win.

    In Brazil and Abu Dhabi however - we're favourites.

  22. #322
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Iceoplex
    Posts
    1,688
    Binotto is delusional. The Merc were not quicker in the race?

    Hamilton was cruising up front even though Vettel had 16 laps fresher tires he was getting nowhere. Lewis put in purple sector times whenever he needed to and probably had plenty left if he had been pushed by Vettel. Bottas had no problems following Seb around, and when a average driver like Bottas performs that well, then the Merc is mighty. How Binotto comes the conclusion the Mercs were not better in the race, I have no idea.

    Ferrari have found that qualy sweet spot, but the points are being given out in the race unfortunately for them. Its not a drag race or sprint race!
    ---
    Secondly, the biggest mistake was to cover Albon and ruin Charles race, that decision was insane, Albon was not a threat.

    Make Hamilton earn his victorys for once, at Monza and Spa Ferrari kept track position which meant Lewis had to work for it, even though he had better race pace. After that Ferrari have always found a way to let Lewis run in clean air the entire race without having to overtake at all, and let Mercedes come from behind with an alternative strategy each time. I get that the Mercs have the better car, but whats the point of getting pole position and track position if we just give it up each time?

    I would not be surpised if Lewis were toying with Ferrari with his messages about the tires and strategy not working, he probably realized he could fool Ferrari into thinking his tires would drop off and thereby protect himself from an instant attack from Vettel. Instead Vettel played the long game and we saw how that worked out.

    At last: Vettel claims both Ferrari strategys were good, how on earth does he come to this conclusion? Leclerc was leading the race comfortably and ended up 4th, how is that a good strategy? Ferrari could maybe have won the race if Charles had got the best strategy since he is the quicker Ferrari driver, but since Binotto covered Albon with Charles, Leclerc was doomed!
    Last edited by Lesky; 28th October 2019 at 12:16.
    "Formula 1 is not a sport anymore” - Fernando Alonso

  23. #323
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Helsinki
    Posts
    3,672
    Ham could not pass Albon, could not even try to pass

  24. #324
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Iceoplex
    Posts
    1,688
    Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    Ham could not pass Albon, could not even try to pass
    Hamilton was going for a one stop, so he was just selecting a proper gap to Albon, to keep his tires fresh and temps under control, the Ferraris were not pulling away so all he had to do was wait...Hamilton is smart enough to pick his fights!
    "Formula 1 is not a sport anymore” - Fernando Alonso

  25. #325
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Helsinki
    Posts
    3,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
    Hamilton was going for a one stop, so he was just selecting a proper gap to Albon, to keep his tires fresh and temps under control, the Ferraris were not pulling away so all he had to do was wait...Hamilton is smart enough to pick his fights!
    so proper gap is 1 sec, that was most of the 14 laps when he was trying to pass Albon, or managing tyres, choose one

  26. #326
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Babes&Whisky
    Posts
    2,738
    Mercedes had that 1% faster car in the race. Bottas managed to close the gap to Vettel on identical strategy. That minimum advantage plus superior Mercedes strategy was enough for Hamilton to win. Of course if you look at other forums they are singing praise for the "great" Hamilton.

  27. #327
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by wappad View Post
    Great interviews with both Seb and Charles on Dutch Ziggo TV.

    Charles didn't want to do a one-stopper and took all the blame for that.

    As we all know the pole was a present but was a very welcome one for me at least

    6 poles in a row, 13 consecutive races on the podium and being and often fighting at the front of every race since the summer break.

    And compared to the last years, so far a great second half of the season for the Scuderia

    Look forward to Austin. Forza Scuderia, Seb and Charles


    "Big things have small beginings"
    "Perseverence is power"

  28. #328
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Slovenia, Maribor
    Posts
    923


  29. #329
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    29,260
    Next GP we will have a thread for the strategy experts to post the winning strategy BEFORE the race, let's see how they get on
    Forza Ferrari

  30. #330
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,585
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
    Binotto is delusional. The Merc were not quicker in the race?

    Hamilton was cruising up front even though Vettel had 16 laps fresher tires he was getting nowhere. Lewis put in purple sector times whenever he needed to and probably had plenty left if he had been pushed by Vettel. Bottas had no problems following Seb around, and when a average driver like Bottas performs that well, then the Merc is mighty. How Binotto comes the conclusion the Mercs were not better in the race, I have no idea.

    Ferrari have found that qualy sweet spot, but the points are being given out in the race unfortunately for them. Its not a drag race or sprint race!
    ---
    Secondly, the biggest mistake was to cover Albon and ruin Charles race, that decision was insane, Albon was not a threat.

    Make Hamilton earn his victorys for once, at Monza and Spa Ferrari kept track position which meant Lewis had to work for it, even though he had better race pace. After that Ferrari have always found a way to let Lewis run in clean air the entire race without having to overtake at all, and let Mercedes come from behind with an alternative strategy each time. I get that the Mercs have the better car, but whats the point of getting pole position and track position if we just give it up each time?

    I would not be surpised if Lewis were toying with Ferrari with his messages about the tires and strategy not working, he probably realized he could fool Ferrari into thinking his tires would drop off and thereby protect himself from an instant attack from Vettel. Instead Vettel played the long game and we saw how that worked out.

    At last: Vettel claims both Ferrari strategys were good, how on earth does he come to this conclusion? Leclerc was leading the race comfortably and ended up 4th, how is that a good strategy? Ferrari could maybe have won the race if Charles had got the best strategy since he is the quicker Ferrari driver, but since Binotto covered Albon with Charles, Leclerc was doomed!

    During the race it might not have seemed so far fetched to cover Albon. Red Bull had a quick car here all weekend, took pole and Albon looked quick in the beginning laps of the race.. looked like he could have gone a lot quicker and was being held up. They looked a lot more of a threat than the Mercs at that point. Unfortunately Charles was slow in his second stint on fresher tires plus he couldn't make them last. I don't think a 1 stop would have been an option for him.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •