Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate Ferrari's 2019 season

Rate Ferrari's 2019 season

Last year’s thread.

http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/sh...son?highlight=

On a scale from 1-10.

Finally this season is over. It’s been an extremely hard one to watch because of the extreme downs and then getting your hopes up with the extreme highs after the summer break...just to be disappointed again. Had it not been for the three wins in a row at Spa, Monza and in Singapore, and because of the huge difference in circuit layout, I wouldn’t get my hopes up for 2020. But now just because of that there is a glimmer of hope. At least the base design of the SF90 has some potential for improvement with some tweaks here and there.

Even if Ferrari get it spot on with the 2020 design there are so many things that have to improve. Reliability, pit wall strategy, the pit crew and obviously getting rid of driver mistakes. It won’t be enough to just fix two or three of these factors. Ferrari need a flawless season regarding everything, and even that might not be enough because it’s still not known if Merc is just toying with everyone just to make it seem closer than it really is.

Drivers: Charles Leclerc 7 / Sebastian Vettel 6.5. Even though both drivers only finished 4th and 5th it was a solid season by Charles as it was his first one with the team. I gave both Seb and Kimi 7.5 last year as they beat Bottas and both RBRs. Losing to both Bottas and Max this year is pretty bad. Charles best races were Bahrain, Austria and Italy. Best races for Seb were Canada, Germany and Singapore. Spa should also be mentioned for both drivers for different reasons. Three of these first six should have been sure wins for Ferrari if not for reliability and the corrupt stewards in Canada and Austria.

Team: 7 down from 8.5 compared to last year. Six wins last season ended in only three this year. Reliability has been rubbish this year compared to especially Merc, for both cars in races and in qualifying. Pit wall strategies has been idiotic many times, especially in the 2nd half of the season when the package had the means to win more races. Pit crew has been average at best. Down from 571 points to 504 in the WCC is a letdown. RBR getting closer.

Car: This is a hard one. I gave it 9.5 last year because of the engine. The 2nd upgrade this year (the 3rd engine) was even better. On the other hand the aero was lacking before the summer break but they fixed that in some ways. Will Ferrari extract even more from the aero for 2020? It’s a must. I’ll give it 9.5 this season as well as the guys in Maranello clearly are the strongest link in a somewhat average chain. But once they hand it over to the race team it all just falls apart over the course of an entire season. If they fix the aero from the start they will get a 9.75 or a 10 depending on the final 2020 standings.

Season result overall: 7.5 down from 8.5 last year. It's basicly all down to the race team, all of them. Average and mediocre for a team like the Scuderia Ferrari.

Highlight of the season: Charles’ win at Monza. I feel lucky to have been there and witnessed that race live.

Personally i would say it was one of the worse seasons that we had (Thank god its over) overall season was a 6 i say

Drivers both Charles and Seb i say around 7, can blame them when there is so much of disaster happening in every area.

Car overall a rate of 5 from the standards of ferrari, the whole car was out of balance , most of season there was no proper downforce and both drivers struggled to keep the car on track, with lack of grip, downforce and what not. Engine performace was the only highlight however i have my doubts in terms of fuel use etc etc

Strategist were totally a disaster, they had no clue what to do, seems we were the only team who played wrong strategy most of time.

Pit crew utter useless, i think we lost a lot of chances with mistakes from pit crew who failed to do tyre change quickly unlike the other teams.

Overall i thank god that this season is over.Hopefully next year will be ours and we will be smiling when that over rated hamilton will lose and a ferrari driver will win the championship.

The less that can be said about Ferrari's management, the better. I'm only going to rate the drivers:

Leclerc: 9/10. Most poles, 10 podiums, 2 wins (Should've been 5), and beating his more experienced and more expensive teammate. Deserved the P3 in the championship. But considering this was his 2nd year in F1, and the amount of pressure he had to deal with, plus few team orders, I'd say Leclerc has delivered. Many here questioned Leclerc's promotion from Sauber to Ferrari, some even said he wasn't ready, I guess all those naysayers got their answers.

Vettel: 7/10. Some old Vettel of previous seasons, only difference is that, this year he had to deal with a extremely talented and fast teammate. I sure his fans will come up with lots of excuses, but the fact will remain the same. And that fact is: after 21 races and 21 qualifying sessions, Vettel got comprehensively beaten by his almost rookie teammate. And next year, if he remains with Ferrari, will get even more painful.

Even Ferrari's pit stops were among the worst. R Bull broke records with the best pits. You can't blame lack of down force for causing those bad pits.

Strategy was 0/10. We were at the edge of being pathetic.
    Car 7/10. The car improved a lot in the second half of season which is something rare at Ferrari. The upgrades worked, so credits to the team and Mattia.
    Seb 5/10 Same old, Same old.. he is not getting better and we cannot expect him to win this way, not anymore.
    Lec 9/10. He did what was supposed to do and better. Yes, we can expect him to win the championship.
    Season 5/10, could have been worse.

One thing to have in mind is that without Merc's overall package and Lewis' achievements Ferrari would have won at least the last three WCC's. There's basicly only one team that has been better even though having in mind all the Ferrari errors and mistakes done by all the guys at the races. Obviously you're judged by the benchmark, meaning the best team on the grid - Merc in that case, but at least Ferrari never fell as low as McLaren and Williams. That has to count for something, some day, in the end. All tifosi should obviously be disappointed these last few seasons but there is no denying that the SF70H, the SF71H and the SF90 are three of the best packages ever coming out of Maranello. It just hasn't been enough to win the championship. The mountain that LdM created by accepting this V6 turbo hybrid formula back in the day has just been too tall for Ferrari to climb. The 2010's have been a horrible decade for Ferrari even before that. Enduring five seasons with Alonso was like being lost in Mordor. So in a month's time this decade will be over and the books can be closed.

Still, there is one more season with almost the same rules coming up in 2020. Since the introduction of wider tyres in 2017 Ferrari have now won on 11 of the 21 circuits. 14 wins in total, twice at Spa, twice in Australia and twice in Bahrain. The other ones being Monaco, Hungary and Brazil in 2017, Canada, UK and USA in 2018 and Italy and Singapore in 2019. All very different circuit layouts. Ferrari have been close to win in Azerbaijan, Austria, Germany, Russia, Japan and Mexico these past three years as well. The ones where we always come up short is China, Spain, France and Abu Dhabi (although Seb was 2nd last year). So if the factory can nail all the best bits and pieces from these last three years in terms of package design in 2020, realiability is bulletproof and all mistakes on track are erased then it's doable. A WCC at least, is doable. We all just have to believe.

Ferrari Team : 6/10
    Pros-
    1. Good 2nd half development progress

Cons -
    1. They were not able to determine pit strategy calls. Drivers themselves are calling their own strategies which is pathetic.
    2. Pit stop blunders
    3. No team coordination

Leclerc: 9/10
    Pros:
    1. He exceeded the expectations in his first year at Ferrari where the pressure is huge from media & sport.
    2. 7 pole positions & couple of race wins, should have been more wins.
    3. He’s got good raw speed on attacking & defensive mode.
    4. He’s got Ferrari thinking for number 1 status Against 4WDC.

Cons:
    1. Except Baku & Monaco mistakes, rest all are fine with the racing.
    2. He needs improve his race pace & tyre management where vettel & Ham are good at.
    3. Now that he exceeded expectations, next season he’s carrying more weight of Ferrari to perform. Which might be added pressure.

Vettel: 5/10
    Pros:
    1. Good 2nd half season, although still not the best
    2. He carries experience/weight of Ferrari for the good measure.

Cons:
    1. Horrible 1st half, errors from him.
    2. His racing skills when on wheel to wheel action is questionable.

Overall, we have two strong drivers who can compete for WDC & bring WCC provided strong car. Which other teams doesn’t have that feasibility.

I hope we have a strong season next year.
    Forza Ferrari

simple, PATHETIC TEAM DECISIONS all round.
    Excellent drivers who have been handicapped by mediocre, if not INEPT pit wall crew

Team: 2/10
    Bad reliability (mostly for Seb), many issues with strategy, lack of downforce, poor tyre management. Never ending story.

Drivers.
    Seb: 6,5/10, he came back strong in the second part, beating his teammate in nearly all the races they finished together. In my picture he has 2 wins, Canada and Singapore, would probably won in Sochi too. Lacks some qualy pace, but gained that in the second part. Has better tyre management and general race pace than his teammate. Too many mistakes in wheel to wheel racing in general.

Leclerc: 7/10, strong in qualy, and with 2 wins he deserved. I think he did a good season, with some flaws. As his crashes and bad driving in Baku, Monaco, Japan and some more. But he will learn, has to improve in race pace, as Seb is stronger there.

General: 5/10
    Last edited by Vettel165; 2nd December 2019 at 08:44.

Ferrari 6/10 been lots of changes with Binotto taking over so it's probably to be expected a little, next year will show us if these changes have been done right. Strategy always looks easy when you have a car faster than anyone else so most people are too harsh on the team when it comes to strategy.

Vettel - 6/10 also, some mistakes, some signs of his old self granted the car probably does not suit him but still he needs to adapt and also accept he has a real challenge now.

Leclerc - 9/10 many thought he would struggle but he beat Seb and also vastly improved his qualifying from last year still has a lot to learn but that is not a problem to him, give him the car to win and he will.
    Forza Ferrari

Car: 7.5/10, 2nd in WCC, 8 Pole positions, 3 wins, yes it had some limitations but was a good car

Team: 6/10, mostly bad strategic calls, we the armchair experts sometimes called it right but surprisingly team couldn't. As said above, fastest car does make strategist look great but we must admit RB has been in same situation & they seem to be doing a better job

Binotto: 7/10 He looks like a great engineer & an asset to Ferrari, I'm not sure about Binotto the leader of this team, needs more time

Leclerc: 9/10 Driving for Ferrari comes at a cost, huge pressure for 22 Yr old having just 1 year experience in F1, he delivered Poles, Wins and has shown he has answer to Verstappen in British GP. I strongly believe Verstappen will be his main rival for majority of his F1 career, this will be mouth watering

Vettel: 5/10 Expected more from someone who has spent about 13 years in F1, Hamilton who has similar experience at this levels edges ahead Vettel in terms of choosing his battles to win the war, hopefully Vettel recovers next year

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    we the armchair experts sometimes called it right but surprisingly team couldn't.
    Yeah after the race LOL
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    Car: 7.5/10, 2nd in WCC, 8 Pole positions, 3 wins, yes it had some limitations but was a good car

Team: 6/10, mostly bad strategic calls, we the armchair experts sometimes called it right but surprisingly team couldn't. As said above, fastest car does make strategist look great but we must admit RB has been in same situation & they seem to be doing a better job

Binotto: 7/10 He looks like a great engineer & an asset to Ferrari, I'm not sure about Binotto the leader of this team, needs more time

Leclerc: 9/10 Driving for Ferrari comes at a cost, huge pressure for 22 Yr old having just 1 year experience in F1, he delivered Poles, Wins and has shown he has answer to Verstappen in British GP. I strongly believe Verstappen will be his main rival for majority of his F1 career, this will be mouth watering

Vettel: 5/10 Expected more from someone who has spent about 13 years in F1, Hamilton who has similar experience at this levels edges ahead Vettel in terms of choosing his battles to win the war, hopefully Vettel recovers next year
    9 poles this year

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Yeah after the race LOL
    C’mon, of course I meant during the races. Best example is Spanish GP

That was team orders though not strategy?
    Forza Ferrari

Can you give a negative score?

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    Can you give a negative score?

Yes you can. Strategy department deserves it.

All together 6.5

But for a few great highlights, I judge it an overall average to sub-par year for Ferrari.

Team: 4/10 - yeah, the Scuderia came back after the mid-season break, but to what avail? Pitwall-wise, Ferrari was strategically pathetic for the most part. Embarrassingly so. That's why a 6/10 year became only a 4/10 one for me.

Leclerc: 9/10 - I continue to believe in him and felt he had a generally excellent season. HOWEVER, I gave him a 9 because I cut him some slack given it was only his second year in F1 and his 1st year in Ferrari. He actually made a few too many silly, costly errors and he needs to get on top of that in 2020. He's also a little too prone to red mist episodes and drama and needs to cut that out, if only for his mental strength and focus. Same type of performance next year and it will only warrant a 7.

Vettel: 4/10 - I'm sick and tired of him and frankly cannot wait for when he leaves Ferrari. He has turned out to be petulant, divisive and verging on mentally unstable on track at times. Vettel is not even deserving of a top-tier seat these days, let alone team leader of the Scuderia - as if. Overrated, past his peak and the sooner we get rid of him, the better, particularly for team dynamics and morale. Yes, I rate him that poorly.

I continue to think Binotto is out of his depth and is not team principal material. He needs to be back in charge of the technical division only. We need a guy with guts at the helm. I would also fire whoever the hell is in charge of strategy on the spot - and everyone associated with them too! Bunch of imbeciles.

I know it wasn't asked, but my rating of Formula 1 itself is a big, fat 0/10! Is there any other major sport on Earth today that is as predictable and boring as F1 is at the moment? Nonsense tyres, nonsense aero, nonsense gimmicks like DRS, nonsense venues, nonsense politics - it goes on and on. The sport is in MAJOR crisis. And 2021 is looking set to be a let-down after all (yikes). The only reason I watch (from time to time) and read up on F1 is because I've loved this sport since the late 1970s.

But it's frankly a turgid, puffed-up yawnfest these days.

And, NO, it was NEVER this boring, technically lopsided or competitively one-sided for seasons on end, I can assure you!

Quote Originally Posted by Vettel165 View Post

Yes you can. Strategy department deserves it.
    You bet they do. Imbeciles. Every one of them should be fired.

Team as a whole excluding drivers and car: 5/10 Binotto has a lot to handle for one person and the pit and strategy personnel don't appear to have the self-belief or confidence in their decisions, which resulted in lost points.

SF90: 7/10 Started off poorly after the expectations from testing, recovered some pace until the summer break and then found some magic which has caused the team to look a bit fishy, but it worked for a while. Development was good, though, but the concept of the car remains questionable, issues with lack of downforce, reliability and tyre wear especially.

Drivers: Seb 6/10 Charles 9/10
    The car didn't help either of them initially but then we thought it had all come good in Bahrain where Charles should have won. With that win, we'd have had more chance of keeping Merc in sight. Both drivers made mistakes trying to make up for issues not always of their own making, but ultimately Charles looked the hero and Seb the villain, despite improving in the latter half. Both deserved more wins but the weather or reliability intervened. A frustrating season for any Tifoso and IMO Binotto needs to delegate some of the trackside responsibilities and the whole team needs to improve its operational systems if we are to take a championship fight to Merc and RB in 2020.

Without to many words and wallow.charles 9/10 seb 5.5/10 The SF90 6.5/10 .Ferrari strategists and pit wall 3.5/10 .Ferrari total mean score 24.5/40 .Lots of home work required only better than a pass for 2019 season.

There are only 2 options, victory or failure.... this year was a complete failure...
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    There are only 2 options, victory or failure.... this year was a complete failure...
    Agreed....

Second place is the first place for losers....
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Rate Ferrari's 2019 season : It was better than 2014

I thought it would go the way of 2016, but a few good races improved on that, which is not saying much. Judging by Binotto's comments on the championship being lost when they designed the car, I suspect 2020 will go the same way. There's always 2021 of course.

Leclerc (9/10): Brilliant season. It was a pleasure to see him race in red and get his elbows out in Monza. Still a lot of room for improvement and his performance will only get better.

Vettel (5/10): Mediocre season. Needs to up his game if he wants to realize the dream of winning a WDC with Ferrari.

Strategy (4/10): Multiple errors. Reactive strategies. Needs introspection on what is lacking - real-time data, grey cells or the ability to take risks on strategy.

Pit Crew (5/10): Needs to take a hard look at Mercedes and Red Bull. How are they managing brilliantly fast stops vs our guys?

Overall Season (5/10): First half was a disaster. The only saving grace was second half with 3 wins especially Monza.
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Leclerc (9/10): I would actually give him a 10 out of 10 but I never give 10 out of 10. I am not sure if there is anyone that would expect anything more from Charles in his first year in Ferrari.

Vettel (5/10): Contrary to Charles, there are people that expected quite more from Seb. Disappointment and probably last chance for him for 2020.

Strategy (5/10): Ferrari is not the team to get your move on, it's supposed to be an established team where you come to provide your value. If you're not that person, move on.

Pit Crew (5/10): Poach from RBR.

Overall Season (7/10): We need to learn from the second half.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I disagree.
    There are always lessons to be learned. We gained a great driver (Charles) and at any rate we can learn from our mistakes.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    I disagree.
    There are always lessons to be learned. We gained a great driver (Charles) and at any rate we can learn from our mistakes.
    We learnt the season was doomed from car design in 2018. Hopefully that is a lesson learnt and won't be repeated in 2020.
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules