Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 510 of 1197

Thread: Ferrari 2020 Challenger Thread

  1. #481
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Christchurch,UK
    Posts
    4,155
    GIO did manage to up his game in the second half of 2019, though, and was as quick as Kimi whose experience showed many times, but the Sauber-Alfa car didn't seem to improve much over the season, perhaps because Ferrari took back Simone Resta for their own team. Of course it would be a gamble to give GIO the No2 seat at Ferrari and there are plenty of talented drivers out there who may seem preferable. Charles has proved to be the real deal from his first season in F1 as result of coming up through the ranks so his race-craft and speed was a given, GIO has also had similar experience but doesn't have the almighty talent and speed, and trying to prove it in the Alfa was always going to be difficult. All of which doesn't answer any questions emphatically, but Danny Ric and Sainz had some great moments in the Renault and Mclaren teams last year, although both of those cars were better than the Alfa. In the end, I still think that Seb will be with us in 2021 and we could do worse, as long as he stops making amateur errors of judgement.

  2. #482
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    2,752
    Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    GIO did manage to up his game in the second half of 2019, though, and was as quick as Kimi whose experience showed many times, but the Sauber-Alfa car didn't seem to improve much over the season, perhaps because Ferrari took back Simone Resta for their own team. Of course it would be a gamble to give GIO the No2 seat at Ferrari and there are plenty of talented drivers out there who may seem preferable. Charles has proved to be the real deal from his first season in F1 as result of coming up through the ranks so his race-craft and speed was a given, GIO has also had similar experience but doesn't have the almighty talent and speed, and trying to prove it in the Alfa was always going to be difficult. All of which doesn't answer any questions emphatically, but Danny Ric and Sainz had some great moments in the Renault and Mclaren teams last year, although both of those cars were better than the Alfa. In the end, I still think that Seb will be with us in 2021 and we could do worse, as long as he stops making amateur errors of judgement.
    The thing is there was no real gamble with Charles to begin with, he had proven that he had a place with Ferrari to begin with,at least as a fast #2, and he proved to be an overachiever, by beating Seb.
    But (and that is a personal opinion), asking to put Gio in a Ferrari seat, on merit that he is ... what, italian (?) is uncalled for and has no logic.
    Can anyone please tell me what he has achieved that is memorable and someone look back and say "hey,Gio has done <this> and management should consider him to replace Seb once he is gone !"

    Yah, I don't think so. I have nothing against the guy! But he is nowhere close to Ferrari standards!
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

  3. #483
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    N. Delhi/Helsinki
    Posts
    4,773
    Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Again, why should Ferrari give a "chance" to someone like Gio? What valuable attributes Gio possesses, as an F1 driver, that would pressure Ferrari to give him the second seat? Like I said before, him being Italian shouldn't be used as a concession to give him the Ferrari seat.

    And there are other more preferable candidates out there to replace Vettel. Sainz being on of them, then there is Perez, hell even bringing back Hulk from retirement and giving him the second seat will be much more worthwhile than giving it to Gio.
    Has Hulk retired?

  4. #484
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Christchurch,UK
    Posts
    4,155
    Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    The thing is there was no real gamble with Charles to begin with, he had proven that he had a place with Ferrari to begin with,at least as a fast #2, and he proved to be an overachiever, by beating Seb.
    But (and that is a personal opinion), asking to put Gio in a Ferrari seat, on merit that he is ... what, italian (?) is uncalled for and has no logic.
    Can anyone please tell me what he has achieved that is memorable and someone look back and say "hey,Gio has done <this> and management should consider him to replace Seb once he is gone !"

    Yah, I don't think so. I have nothing against the guy! But he is nowhere close to Ferrari standards!
    I do accept the point you are making, and whether GIO was seriously being considered is open to question despite Binotto stating it, it all hangs on Seb as to what happens next. I admit I am biased towards GIO but it would be irrelevant anyway if the SF1000 isn't as competitive as it needs to be, whoever is driving it.

  5. #485
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    8,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    Has Hulk retired?
    he was kind of forced out of a drive from Renault, since Ocon took his spot and NO other team had a free spot as ALL were taken.

    he's a good driver and far better then GIO....he too would be a good choice as a #2 along side Charles.....but of course Ferrari will make the mistake again and prolly offer Vetal another 1 or 2 years with again an astronomical $ figure per year...

  6. #486
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    towradgi beach
    Posts
    1,460
    Ricardo is an Australian from italian parents currently in western Australia on his parents Joe and Maria's farm.He is self isolating.An Aussie in a Ferrari ground breaking go the flying kangaroo.

  7. #487
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    N. Delhi/Helsinki
    Posts
    4,773
    Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    he was kind of forced out of a drive from Renault, since Ocon took his spot and NO other team had a free spot as ALL were taken.

    he's a good driver and far better then GIO....he too would be a good choice as a #2 along side Charles.....but of course Ferrari will make the mistake again and prolly offer Vetal another 1 or 2 years with again an astronomical $ figure per year...
    I’m not a Vettel fan but I’d say one year extension to him clearly on the basis of no more favorable treatment and obviously some pay-cut. If he agrees, great. His performance, motivation, and behavior vis a vis Charles can be evaluated by the end of 2020

  8. #488
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    towradgi beach
    Posts
    1,460
    Vetal must earn the right to be top dog at Ferrari. His 4 titles are a wonderful achievement and are etched in history, but lets face it those titles are yesterday's news.Vettal must start creating new history before it's to late,or may be it already is.

  9. #489
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,363
    Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    The thing is there was no real gamble with Charles to begin with, he had proven that he had a place with Ferrari to begin with,at least as a fast #2, and he proved to be an overachiever, by beating Seb.
    But (and that is a personal opinion), asking to put Gio in a Ferrari seat, on merit that he is ... what, italian (?) is uncalled for and has no logic.
    Can anyone please tell me what he has achieved that is memorable and someone look back and say "hey,Gio has done <this> and management should consider him to replace Seb once he is gone !"

    Yah, I don't think so. I have nothing against the guy! But he is nowhere close to Ferrari standards!
    Ferrari picked Gio as there #3 driver. There's Charles, Seb and Gio . Ferrari picked him before any other available F-1 driver. Do you think that Ferrari is that bad a team that they have no idea even who should be their choice of a #3 driver? Forget experience , Seb proved that to be over rated. There are so many great pasta dishes Italians are great at. Linguini with broccoli rabe. Angel Hair with clams and calamare ! Ravioli in red gravy. What? Thats all the logic needed for a good Ferrari choice .

  10. #490
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Ferrari picked Gio as there #3 driver. There's Charles, Seb and Gio . Ferrari picked him before any other available F-1 driver. Do you think that Ferrari is that bad a team that they have no idea even who should be their choice of a #3 driver? Forget experience , Seb proved that to be over rated. There are so many great pasta dishes Italians are great at. Linguini with broccoli rabe. Angel Hair with clams and calamare ! Ravioli in red gravy. What? Thats all the logic needed for a good Ferrari choice .
    I honestly think putting Gio in the Ferrari too early would be really bad for him. I think he needs time to get his groove, he seems excitable and tends to overdrive when the pressure is on, and pressure at Ferrari would be massive. Give him another year in the Alfa to settle and concentrate on beating his team mate. When he can do that comfortably then he'll be ready to take on Charles. Right now, Ferrari needs 2 quick drivers and they need to finish races so I hope Vettel gets his act together and has a great year and we can steal the double... don't care which driver wins it as long as it's one of ours. Angel hair with clams and calamare my favourite... mouth is watering now... thanks.

  11. #491
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,363
    OK, Gio needing another year for sure will help. I just go by what Binotto has been saying all along; that Ferrari has no shot against Merc and Louis. So how much bad can Gio do if it's Alfa or the Ferrari seat ? An extra season with Ferrari has to be great for his coming around so as to be better for the #2 spot. If Binotto hopefully is wrong and Ferrari shows great progress car wise and truly is a competitor, than yes for sure! Keep Gio with Alfa another year. I couldn't agree more with either Seb or Charles , WDC, as long as Ferrari does a long awaited WCC. Binotto has me confused!

  12. #492
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    towradgi beach
    Posts
    1,460
    Mercedes might just sell. They have nothing more to prove with this era.Next era is different no 2 years tip off as to direction that the new era will take and time to plan and developed way ahead of every other team.Nothing would surprise me Hello lance Stoll.

  13. #493
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,371
    Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Mercedes might just sell. They have nothing more to prove with this era.Next era is different no 2 years tip off as to direction that the new era will take and time to plan and developed way ahead of every other team.Nothing would surprise me Hello lance Stoll.
    Mercedes is making lots of money through Formula 1. Only a fool would sell out of a profitable business. Those 2 years tip off gave Mercedes engine advantage but current year is 2020. A lot of those gains are now neutralized. Where Mercedes is making the most progress is chassis. Rules have changed multiple times in the past few years and every time they had the best aero except the 2nd half of 2nd half of 2017 season where Red Bull had the best car.

    Rules change is more ominous for rest of the teams as that could propel Mercedes to 2016 esque advantage.

  14. #494
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,363
    Selling a big time profitable business when it's at it's peak is worth millions more on the market than when it's not on top. And interest among buyers is there. Meanwhile as far as Merc goes, Louis would have to be in the deal!

  15. #495
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    12,709

  16. #496
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    602
    Thats incredible! Amazing!

  17. #497
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    8,046
    Ferrari prepares an engine evolution for Austria with 20 more horses


    The Scuderia Ferrari works hard in the Maranello factory to arrive in the best possible way at the start of the 2020 Formula 1 season, which is expected for the first weekend of July on the occasion of the Austrian GP. Among its advancements is a power unit with an additional 20 horsepower.

    There have been more than a few cancellations and event suspensions due to the Covid-19 coronavirus pandemic, but it seems that Formula 1 is beginning to glimpse the light at the end of the tunnel: the motorsport queen category wants to return to action in July with a double event in Austria, as Chase Carey himself revealed.

    Meanwhile, Formula 1 teams have had a mandatory 63-day factory shutdown period imposed by the FIA . However, Ferrari was one of the first teams that decided to close its doors due to the coronavirus, and both its engine department and the other sections are already in place.



    The appointment of Austria will be crucial for the future of the season, as some parts of the cars will be frozen to save costs , hence why Ferrari wants to arrive in good shape. For this, in Maranello they work almost in every section of the car, but especially in the nose, the flat bottom, the gearbox and, above all, the power unit.

    According to the Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport, the evolutions of the power unit focus on a new cylinder head and modifications to the combustion chamber, which will optimize the combustion of the mixture of air and gasoline. In addition, this would come with an update of the software that manages the electrical part - an operation that they were looking for since the beginning of the year, finally achieved. In total, the gain would be 20 horsepower.

    Ferrari is aware of the importance of power on a track like the Red Bull Ring, so they intend to start the season directly with this 'version B' of their engine, which they have worked on for the last few months with little rest - according to the media Quoted, the engine has been tested on the test bench in three daily shifts.

    As for the aerodynamic section, there is talk of a remodeling of the flat bottom that leads to other mandatory modifications. In the preseason tests they discovered a 'micro flexing' in the gearbox that influenced the fixing points of the rear suspension and varied the behavior of the car, something that Charles Leclerc especially complained about. The solution, a priori, is to strengthen the outer cover.

    https://translate.google.com/transla...01&prev=search
    It's not how start but how you finish.

  18. #498
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Godric's Hollow
    Posts
    6,513
    Lot of people here are going to get surprised by SF1000's pace when we resume racing. I have zero doubt in my mind that, SF1000 is going to be a very good car with strong race pace, just like the SF70-H.

    Now the only question mark is the qualifying pace. Have we lost our strong Q3 pace? Or is the Spec-2 is going to be even more stronger than last year's Q3 mode. Binotto already confirmed during the winter testing that Ferrari have pretty much designed a new power-train for this years Formula 1. I have high hopes for this year's PU.

  19. #499
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Godric's Hollow
    Posts
    6,513
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Ferrari prepares an engine evolution for Austria with 20 more horses


    The Scuderia Ferrari works hard in the Maranello factory to arrive in the best possible way at the start of the 2020 Formula 1 season, which is expected for the first weekend of July on the occasion of the Austrian GP. Among its advancements is a power unit with an additional 20 horsepower.

    There have been more than a few cancellations and event suspensions due to the Covid-19 coronavirus pandemic, but it seems that Formula 1 is beginning to glimpse the light at the end of the tunnel: the motorsport queen category wants to return to action in July with a double event in Austria, as Chase Carey himself revealed.

    Meanwhile, Formula 1 teams have had a mandatory 63-day factory shutdown period imposed by the FIA . However, Ferrari was one of the first teams that decided to close its doors due to the coronavirus, and both its engine department and the other sections are already in place.



    The appointment of Austria will be crucial for the future of the season, as some parts of the cars will be frozen to save costs , hence why Ferrari wants to arrive in good shape. For this, in Maranello they work almost in every section of the car, but especially in the nose, the flat bottom, the gearbox and, above all, the power unit.

    https://translate.google.com/transla...01&prev=search
    Interesting. Changes of such extent would require new crash test, especially if they turn up in Austria with a completely different nose-cone.

    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    According to the Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport, the evolutions of the power unit focus on a new cylinder head and modifications to the combustion chamber, which will optimize the combustion of the mixture of air and gasoline. In addition, this would come with an update of the software that manages the electrical part - an operation that they were looking for since the beginning of the year, finally achieved. In total, the gain would be 20 horsepower.

    Ferrari is aware of the importance of power on a track like the Red Bull Ring, so they intend to start the season directly with this 'version B' of their engine, which they have worked on for the last few months with little rest - according to the media Quoted, the engine has been tested on the test bench in three daily shifts.

    As for the aerodynamic section, there is talk of a remodeling of the flat bottom that leads to other mandatory modifications. In the preseason tests they discovered a 'micro flexing' in the gearbox that influenced the fixing points of the rear suspension and varied the behavior of the car, something that Charles Leclerc especially complained about. The solution, a priori, is to strengthen the outer cover.

    https://translate.google.com/transla...01&prev=search
    Another interesting part. Because last year Leclerc clearly suffered quite a bit with rear-tyre wear, which hindered his race pace on same tracks, although he adapted quite well and didn't suffer as much as he did in Hungary later on the year. Hopefully this changes will make him more comfortable with the car.

  20. #500
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    8,046
    Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Interesting. Changes of such extent would require new crash test, especially if they turn up in Austria with a completely different nose-cone.



    Another interesting part. Because last year Leclerc clearly suffered quite a bit with rear-tyre wear, which hindered his race pace on same tracks, although he adapted quite well and didn't suffer as much as he did in Hungary later on the year. Hopefully this changes will make him more comfortable with the car.
    Hopefully we'll see a different car as well from the outside.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

  21. #501
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    8,622
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Hopefully we'll see a different car as well from the outside.
    so long as it beast Merc....and now rapidly coming from behind red bull, i'm gonna be happy....well i'm NOT gonna be happy until WCC comes back to Maranello.....hopefully with these changes Ferrari will make to the car it will be enough

    Forza Ferrari

  22. #502
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,944
    Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    so long as it beast Merc....and now rapidly coming from behind red bull, i'm gonna be happy....well i'm NOT gonna be happy until WCC comes back to Maranello.....hopefully with these changes Ferrari will make to the car it will be enough

    Forza Ferrari
    I am with you, I do not care what it looks like; as long as it brings the WCC home and stops Merc/Ham's rein. My fingers are crossed!

    Side note, would the WCC and WDC this year have an asterisk pinned next to it? Does the shortened season devalue the championship in anyway?
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

  23. #503
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    8,622
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    I am with you, I do not care what it looks like; as long as it brings the WCC home and stops Merc/Ham's rein. My fingers are crossed!

    Side note, would the WCC and WDC this year have an asterisk pinned next to it? Does the shortened season devalue the championship in anyway?
    Let’s wait and see first IF the season will ever start this year...there’s no concrete answer as of yet, only rumours
    As for it if it’s gonna count as a normal season wcc wdc wise, it should, it’s the same number of races for everyone

  24. #504
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    HCM CITY VIET NAM
    Posts
    66
    I hope we fix weaknesses that has happened at the test period if we don't that would show about our abilities because Covid19 in case of advance, it is big luck for us to fix this car.

  25. #505
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,363
    [QUOTE=ferrari1.8t;1025619
    Side note, would the WCC and WDC this year have an asterisk pinned next to it? Does the shortened season devalue the championship in anyway?[/QUOTE]

    No asterisk went on the Shumy win @ Indy in 2005. 6 cars raced and finished. Ferrari even made Rubens let Schmy pass and he had to finish 2nd ! I believe both WDC, WCC will count as full season wins.

  26. #506
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    towradgi beach
    Posts
    1,460
    Let the silly season start.Totto wolf claims mercedes must bridge the gap to Ferrari for the upcoming 2020 season and that winter testing was a classic sand bagging event.Rumour has it Ferrari will have a different beast for the start of the season.May be totto is preparing for the worst before it even starts, boy I hope he is correct.

  27. #507
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    3,077
    Ferrari has already stated they are not starting the season on the right foot... don't set yourself up for disappointment mate....
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

  28. #508
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    8,622
    Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Let the silly season start.Totto wolf claims mercedes must bridge the gap to Ferrari for the upcoming 2020 season and that winter testing was a classic sand bagging event.Rumour has it Ferrari will have a different beast for the start of the season.May be totto is preparing for the worst before it even starts, boy I hope he is correct.
    i wouldn't trust toto as far as i can throw him.....he's a wolf in sheep's clothing....OH, and supposedly Merc will have a TWO day private Merc F1 test starting next tuesday with both Hamster and Butler in Silverstone....HOW come Ferrari can't have such test themselves??? is this another privilege from the MIA??? probably.....

    *edit....nevermind, it states that they'll be using a TWO year old F1 car, so the W09 2018 car.....but still i dont' trust them, somethig's fishy.....LOL

  29. #509
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Godric's Hollow
    Posts
    6,513
    Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Let the silly season start.Totto wolf claims mercedes must bridge the gap to Ferrari for the upcoming 2020 season and that winter testing was a classic sand bagging event.Rumour has it Ferrari will have a different beast for the start of the season.May be totto is preparing for the worst before it even starts, boy I hope he is correct.
    I'm also with you. I don't care what Toto says, but I also don't believe SF1000 is a lemon either, even if Ferrari tried their best to downplay it.
    The SF1000 will pleasantly surprise a lot of tifosi here, I have zero doubt in my mind that it is a strong race car. The only question mark is it's qualifying pace, which will largely depend on the spec-2 engine upgrade.

  30. #510
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    8,046
    Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    i wouldn't trust toto as far as i can throw him.....he's a wolf in sheep's clothing....OH, and supposedly Merc will have a TWO day private Merc F1 test starting next tuesday with both Hamster and Butler in Silverstone....HOW come Ferrari can't have such test themselves??? is this another privilege from the MIA??? probably.....

    *edit....nevermind, it states that they'll be using a TWO year old F1 car, so the W09 2018 car.....but still i dont' trust them, somethig's fishy.....LOL

    Leclerc and Vettel will each get a day in the 2018 Ferrari SF71-H as a warm-up for the season ahead. This test session will be an opportunity to allow the team staff to evaluate the new anti-Covid procedures introduced by the FIA to regulate the behavior in the pits and pit-lane.


    also


    Max and Albon will test in F2 cars.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •