Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1197

Thread: Ferrari 2020 Challenger Thread

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    your're wrong mate....ferrari had to trim excessive amounts of downforce and drag that was initially on the sf1000.....because they realized that the engine is a donkey and had a LOT of drag to carry around the track because the chassis and car as a whole was designed to run with a STALLION.....
    Is that "Official Info" or hopeful thinking, I mean where did you get that info
    I mean Binotto was only talking about "we are trying to understand the car",
    finally he stopped with that and now it is "young team" and "young drivers"

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    nothing that i read officially, but but i thought that i've read/heard that in order to get some more top speed they took off a bunch of downforce....which prolly was meant to run with a lot more powerful engine....but who knows??

what we do know is that the engine is WEAK.....how the original sf1000 would run and how fast would have been with the 2019 engine....no one really knows or will know

The down force is what Ferrari sees as the tire wear problem along with a few other teams. Charles needs to only think about when using all the engine HP is possible and fly through the crowd .

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post

Binotto has stated that they would need to trim drag and downforce. I think it's pretty evident by the amount of wing they've been running that the car needs to drop DF and drag to be quick.

I don't know if I've asked this here but I've been trying to find out. I've heard it said a lot that Mercedes had an advantage coming into the hybrid era. How is that? Did they start development on the hybrid engine much earlier than everyone else?
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    I don't know if I've asked this here but I've been trying to find out. I've heard it said a lot that Mercedes had an advantage coming into the hybrid era. How is that? Did they start development on the hybrid engine much earlier than everyone else?
    They apparently started development 3 or 4 years before.

Yep. Mercedes AMG F1 had a 100hp advantage over its rivals in 2014. They and Renault pushed for the hybrid formula in 2012.

Mercedes started R&D in 2009 on the hybrid formula.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Yep. Mercedes AMG F1 had a 100hp advantage over its rivals in 2014. They and Renault pushed for the hybrid formula in 2012.

Why did they start early? Why didn't the others start earlier as well?
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Italy WAS NOT into hybridization so no technical know how.

Germany IS into hybridization....Porsche, Audi, BMW, and Mercedes. Mercedes had the jump on everyone.

Renault is obviously French but too lacked the technical know how.

Because the others didn't see it coming. Mercedes first started to develop in that direction, and after they were quite sure they could do it right, they started pushing to get the technology into F1.
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

And hybrid technology is already going to be obsolete thanks to electrical... Italy needs to jump on that but the cost of electricity in Italy was probably too prohibitive for Hybrid technology, meaning it will be too costly for electric cars as well...
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    And hybrid technology is already going to be obsolete thanks to electrical... Italy needs to jump on that but the cost of electricity in Italy was probably too prohibitive for Hybrid technology, meaning it will be too costly for electric cars as well...

Electrical currently is the "feel-good" "green" technology. Digging Lithium out of the ground in vast quantities isn't that "green."
    Then it will become obsolete.

Hydrogen fuel is the future...........and Germany(BMW) has had a jump on it since the 90's.

Very interesting, and informative. Thanks for the responses. Sounds like Mercedes had a vision for the future when others didn't. It's still hard to believe though that with all the resources, a top team like Ferrari couldn't get the comparable skills and knowledge to catch up.
    Forza Ferrari

With the germans being well advanced with the hybrid technology and with some persuasion from certain mercedes people the fia caved in to the hybrid era. Mercedes were years ahead with the technology. Is this fair.?He'll a one legged man could win a 100 metre sprint race when given 80 metres head start.For me the Mercedes dominance with hybrid comes with dark clouds and controversy some what hollow one would say.Prior to this hybrid they were just Joe average.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    With the germans being well advanced with the hybrid technology and with some persuasion from certain mercedes people the fia caved in to the hybrid era. Mercedes were years ahead with the technology. Is this fair.?He'll a one legged man could win a 100 metre sprint race when given 80 metres head start.For me the Mercedes dominance with hybrid comes with dark clouds and controversy some what hollow one would say.Prior to this hybrid they were just Joe average.
    No you make a good point. On the other hand, it was perfectly sensible for the FIA to introduce the hybrid era. It was going to happen sooner or later in the spirit of sustainability. Perhaps what they should have done then is standardise the non-combustion components of the engine so that the competitive element is only the combustion portion.
    Forza Ferrari

No you make a good point. On the other hand, it was perfectly sensible for the FIA to introduce the hybrid era. It was going to happen sooner or later in the spirit of sustainability. Perhaps what they should have done then is standardise the non-combustion components of the engine so that the competitive element is only the combustion portion.
    Sure, but not when one team has a 4 year development advantage over other teams as it would near guarantee them a big advantage.

Just another aspect of Merc's continued domination in 2020, the DAS system isn't often mentioned as another reason for their ability to be so far ahead. I still think it's wrong and unsporting for Merc to be allowed to run that system this year when it will be banned for 2021. Innovation is of course clever and shouldn't be stifled, but just like their head start in the hybrid era, F1 has become Formula Mercedes with no other team apparently able to challenge them, despite the best engineers in the business.

F1 was already a hybrid spec. We had KERS. Don't see why they went ultra complicated when they could have built on the KERS foundation and slowly got to where we are now so everyone could advance equally.
    Only reason was to appease Mercs and give the illusion of being green.

When the germans build a decent super car let me know.

The germans own Bugatti and Lambo.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    and Porsche

Which are both up for sale and are French and Italian.

Quote Originally Posted by 330 p4 View Post
    Which are both up for sale and are French and Italian.
    Could Fiat buy any of them?

They bought Maserati, Lancia and of course Alfa Romeo some years back.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post

Renault and Ferrari pushed for the V6 configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by crbassassin View Post
    Renault and Ferrari pushed for the V6 configuration.
    yep. Mercedes wanted to go inline 4 but Ferrar was'nt having it when it came to the ICE configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    When the germans build a decent super car let me know.

According to information from AMuS, Ferrari will introduce a new floor at the Nürburgring (Eifel GP) The new floor is set to bring more performance to the car.
    The new front wing/modified rear wing end plates introduced in Sochi didn't make the car faster but made the SF1000 more predictable when turning. This gives the drivers more confidence in the rear
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

F1 was already a hybrid spec. We had KERS. Don't see why they went ultra complicated when they could have built on the KERS foundation and slowly got to where we are now so everyone could advance equally.
    Only reason was to appease Mercs and give the illusion of being green.
    At the time Merc were a new team and they were not a front runner. Why would the FIA seek to appease them at the detriment of the sport and of the more established teams?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by JPZ View Post
    Sure, but not when one team has a 4 year development advantage over other teams as it would near guarantee them a big advantage.
    You can't take that away from them no matter when you introduce hybrid. Even if it was introduced in 2025,Merc would still have the 4 year advantage because they started earlier. That can't be reversed.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    According to information from AMuS, Ferrari will introduce a new floor at the Nürburgring (Eifel GP) The new floor is set to bring more performance to the car.
    The new front wing/modified rear wing end plates introduced in Sochi didn't make the car faster but made the SF1000 more predictable when turning. This gives the drivers more confidence in the rear
    Are there horses in that floor?
    Forza Ferrari