Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324253661 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 F1 news/rumours

BINOTTO to date as Ferrari boss has never said anything positive about Ferrari.Binotto always paints a cloudy outlook e.g. we will suffer, Ferrari behind others, Ferrari disadvantaged, Ferrari we are slow, just to name a few.Talk about the grim reaper.Honesty is good but playing a screeching violin is worse.Binotto would be great in a puppy the lion episode playing the whinging hyena.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Bernie"s, whom is 89yo, wife Fabiana(46yo) is pregnant.

It will be Bernie's first son.

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/12457...g&name=600x314
    Feel the Bern!

Seriously though, poor kid will probably grow up without his father. And I can see him/her growing up with some kind of aliment, having a 89 year old father and 41 year old mother can't be good. Very irresponsible and selfish.

But he's loaded with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
    But he's loaded with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
    money don't bring you happiness........well actually he'll be a lot happier then the next kid who was born in an average/poor family....lol

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    BINOTTO to date as Ferrari boss has never said anything positive about Ferrari.Binotto always paints a cloudy outlook e.g. we will suffer, Ferrari behind others, Ferrari disadvantaged, Ferrari we are slow, just to name a few.Talk about the grim reaper.Honesty is good but playing a screeching violin is worse.Binotto would be great in a puppy the lion episode playing the whinging hyena.
    Very well said ! How does everyone working under Binotto even show up? " Keep working boys, lets get that next loss over with !" We'll talk later I have to call home and make sure my check got there. " Great work , were looking good , let's hope for the best results !" That would sound far more inspiring to both fans and team.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Yes it evolved with DRS, since our understanding of technology and knowledge has evolved with an amazing pace.

And as I said before, there were frequently a lot wider margins of victory. On youtube there are lot of race recaps and they're good to watch, but it often ends with the narrator announcing: "And the winner wins by over a minute/two margin", literally nobody would watch if that happens every now and again. And it was also common for more than half of the grid to retire.

And the most important fact is, I'm happy that F1 is no longer a blood sport. Back then if you ****** up, you died no matter the talent or car control. And only god knows how many nameless drivers were badly or permanently injured. And back it the day, we had more pay drivers than we have today.
    Sorry but no.
    DRS is a gimmic that was introduced in order to hide the fact that the current way that cars are designed, the rules, if you will make the overtaking too hard, because aero is dominant.
    We can get into it if you want,but fact of the matter is that DRS was brought into play because the cars simply cannot overtake without it. There is nothing involving technology about DRS,actually if you talk about DRS and involve technology about this, you make me laugh!

You can bring up technology for instance and MGU-K or KERS,sure. But DRS? Come on!

Also, I find nothing bad to the fact there have been times that the leader of the race can finish with 1, 2 , 40 seconds lead. It only shows that the team and the driver is dominant. That the others need to do something bout it.
    Or do we forget, for instance Donington, or Spain 96?
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Sorry but no.
    DRS is a gimmic that was introduced in order to hide the fact that the current way that cars are designed, the rules, if you will make the overtaking too hard, because aero is dominant.
    We can get into it if you want,but fact of the matter is that DRS was brought into play because the cars simply cannot overtake without it. There is nothing involving technology about DRS,actually if you talk about DRS and involve technology about this, you make me laugh!

You can bring up technology for instance and MGU-K or KERS,sure. But DRS? Come on!

Also, I find nothing bad to the fact there have been times that the leader of the race can finish with 1, 2 , 40 seconds lead. It only shows that the team and the driver is dominant. That the others need to do something bout it.
    +1

DRS, to me, is fake overtaking....PLUS....IF you take it away then these 2017 and 2018 F1 cars would NOT have blown most of the records of the F2004 on most tracks by 2 to 3 seconds. Remember, DRS gives an F1 car a 10 to 12mph advantage in certain zones of the track.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

It's no longer F2004 , the F-1 races are much more exciting knowing DRS is in the drivers hands when he's allowed to use it. There's no more T cars, which was cool knowing the likes of Schumy had that option. F-1 gets better not worse except maybe having sooo many Pirelli's to chose from.

Both Mclaren and Williams are agreeing to pay cuts to senior management and drivers including furloughing a number of employees.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Sorry but no.

DRS is absolutely vital, while it used to be intrusive and artificial. Sure it is a bit flawed, but no one can deny its purpose.

Now before I go about the necessity of the DRS, let me add this few bits: F1 cars need mechanical and aero to get around corners quickly. Mechanical grip is all about cars suspension geometry and weight, plus how the vehicle dynamics work the tyres. But it comes at a cost to weight, which means slower acceleration and bad under-breaking. Aero grip on the other hand doesn't require adding weight, making the car lighter. That's why F1 cars of 70's or 80's were so heavy, they had pretty good mechanical grip but lacked any meaningful aero grip.

But there's one major drawback of aero grip, and we all know what that is: 'dirty air'. When current generation F1 cars, which produces massive downforce hence aero grip, follows another F1 car close behind, the airflow over the rear car is disrupted, reducing the effectiveness of its aerodynamics. This translates to reduced performance and more tyre degradation. And as aero became more and more important, was passing became more difficult.

DRS was implemented in 2011 to try to make up for this, whether people like it or not. People hate it because it got rid of the thing people used to complain about. I'm one of them and I was never been a fan of the infamous Trulli Trains, where who ever got stuck behind Trulli will try to pass him for a lap or two, if they don't succeed then they give up, back off to save fuel and try to jump him by pitting later. DRS on the other hand made sure we the fans would get consistent attack-defense racing.

Yes, it made passing “easier”. But, you can also look at it from the perspective of it trying to make up for the inherent performance disadvantage you must to drive through while trying to pass. And I mean, how much talk has there been about the DRS last year or the year before? To me last years racing was pretty good, and I'm sure most will agree on this.
    So DRS is here to stay, unless people want to go back to 10-12secs/lap slower car with heavy in-fancies on mechanical grip, something like nascar. But then, F1 wouldn't be regarded as the pinnacle of motor racing.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Both Mclaren and Williams are agreeing to pay cuts to senior management and drivers including furloughing a number of employees.
    Some form of DRS is needed with regards to who & where i pay checks are issued !

Best racing.. bring back refueling and let the teams choose which tires they want to use in the race, either hard or soft compound. Teams can choose if they want to light fuel, use soft tires and do sprint stints or heavy fuel, use hard tires and manage their pace. Right now most of the excitement is the start and the pits. some races offer hard racing, most races everyone drives to manage tires and/or fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    Best racing.. bring back refueling and let the teams choose which tires they want to use in the race, either hard or soft compound. Teams can choose if they want to light fuel, use soft tires and do sprint stints or heavy fuel, use hard tires and manage their pace. Right now most of the excitement is the start and the pits. some races offer hard racing, most races everyone drives to manage tires and/or fuel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    Hey Bob

I have had similar thoughts.... DRS is artificial but here are my proposals.

1. Limit the budget. (This is already being done)

2. Allow alternative fuel systems, such as diesel, bio-disel... but limit to road variants only.

3. Set a race weekend Fuel anount allocation. (Quali + Race).

4. Allow Refueling.

5. Free up tyre choices. (Teams/Drivers may choose any of the range, min 2 per race.)

6. Set a high level design language, not descriptive in nature. Set a drag co-eff based limit, allowing teams to choose their own height of rear wings/diffuser or bargeboard.

7. Allow any variation PU choices, must include a hybrid tech.

9. Limit PU to 5 and all components to 5. No extras allowed!

10. Continue using DRS, but scrap 1 second gap rule. Driver should be able to use it to attack and defend at any point on track., max activation time per lap to be 15 seconds.

11. Allow testing, but testing and travel costs to be included in budget cap.

12. Standarize rules with a high level agreement of 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by kshitijmalkan View Post
    Hey Bob

2. Allow alternative fuel systems, such as diesel, bio-disel... but limit to road variants only.

4. Allow Refueling.

5. Free up tyre choices. (Teams/Drivers may choose any of the range, min 2 per race.)

6. Set a high level design language, not descriptive in nature. Set a drag co-eff based limit, allowing teams to choose their own height of rear wings/diffuser or bargeboard.

10. Continue using DRS, but scrap 1 second gap rule. Driver should be able to use it to attack and defend at any point on track., max activation time per lap to be 15 seconds.

yeah but, wouldn't taht cancel itself out....if the driver in the hunt is using it, then so is the driver being hunted will use it also....so the whole thing will cancel itself out
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by kshitijmalkan View Post
    Hey Bob

4. Allow Refueling.

All the new rules are over complicated, for the teams and for spectators. Back to the basic!

Bring bact the T ca rand eliminate some DNFs not caused by the driver crashing.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    All the new rules are over complicated, for the teams and for spectators. Back to the basic!
    You're right stefa, keep things as simple as possible for everyone's benefit, it may even help to keep the costs down and that's going to be even more crucial if F1 is to survive.

Eliminate the ridiculous electric passing. Fuel is the pinnacle of racing. When electric cars become that pinnacle, switch over.
    Seems pretty simple to me.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

I guess people are having PTSD from 2014-2016 era, because I cant remember any races after 2017-reg that were marked by tyre/engine saving.

races without fans are NEVER the same....
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    races without fans are NEVER the same....
    For the fans yes ; never the same. I believe the drivers will be just as anxious and ready to do their best even without the stands filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    For the fans yes ; never the same. I believe the drivers will be just as anxious and ready to do their best even without the stands filled.
    The drivers may well be desperate to race and we are desperate to see them doing so, but how can the promoters afford to stage a race with no paying public to underwrite the cost? It just doesn't make financial sense, and I'm not sure that having 2 and 3 weekend back-to-back races will enable the season to be completed without causing overkill even for the most devoted of fans and a strain on the teams, as that's another option currently being suggested.

If they can run behind closed doors then that's ok with me, we need Charles to continue his development.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    If they can run behind closed doors then that's ok with me, we need Charles to continue his development.
    I agree that Charles needs to continue his development, Greig, and Ferrari also need to try and make sure the car is competitive for 2021 now that the tech regs are staying the same, but I'm not convinced that the promoters will be able or prepared to have the races behind closed doors without any income from the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    I agree that Charles needs to continue his development, Greig, and Ferrari also need to try and make sure the car is competitive for 2021 now that the tech regs are staying the same, but I'm not convinced that the promoters will be able or prepared to have the races behind closed doors without any income from the fans.

On the other hand, all those years they have been charging extremely high prices for the tickets, so this year is that one you buy 10 and get one free

https://instagram.com/p/B-ow7qlBXxP/

Charles during the E-race - “Antonio, team building next year, you have the Ferrari seat”
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    https://instagram.com/p/B-ow7qlBXxP/

Charles during the E-race - “Antonio, team building next year, you have the Ferrari seat”
    Some would like that (me) and some would say it's ridiculous. OK so we don't truly know how good GIO is, but if Seb's contract isn't renewed, why not give Antonio a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    yeah but, wouldn't taht cancel itself out....if the driver in the hunt is using it, then so is the driver being hunted will use it also....so the whole thing will cancel itself out
    Thats a complicated answer. If the DRS was time limited and could be used on any part of the tract to defend/attack... the driver with the bigger balls might not always win... it would be a interesting too see.

Also, if the DRS was used in thisbway it would no longer be artificial and we would have genuinly faster times.

My point is, set the rules to a basic set of principles (like a over all drag coefficient for the cars/parts) and let the teams design ehat they can and let the drivers then race.

The current descriptive rules are no good

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Some would like that (me) and some would say it's ridiculous. OK so we don't truly know how good GIO is, but if Seb's contract isn't renewed, why not give Antonio a chance?
    Count me in on the some would like that! A true test will be how good he is in that #2 Ferrari seat!