Page 12 of 64 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425263762 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 F1 news/rumours

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    DRS is absolutely vital, while it used to be intrusive and artificial. Sure it is a bit flawed, but no one can deny its purpose.

Now before I go about the necessity of the DRS, let me add this few bits: F1 cars need mechanical and aero to get around corners quickly. Mechanical grip is all about cars suspension geometry and weight, plus how the vehicle dynamics work the tyres. But it comes at a cost to weight, which means slower acceleration and bad under-breaking. Aero grip on the other hand doesn't require adding weight, making the car lighter. That's why F1 cars of 70's or 80's were so heavy, they had pretty good mechanical grip but lacked any meaningful aero grip.

But there's one major drawback of aero grip, and we all know what that is: 'dirty air'. When current generation F1 cars, which produces massive downforce hence aero grip, follows another F1 car close behind, the airflow over the rear car is disrupted, reducing the effectiveness of its aerodynamics. This translates to reduced performance and more tyre degradation. And as aero became more and more important, was passing became more difficult.

DRS was implemented in 2011 to try to make up for this, whether people like it or not. People hate it because it got rid of the thing people used to complain about. I'm one of them and I was never been a fan of the infamous Trulli Trains, where who ever got stuck behind Trulli will try to pass him for a lap or two, if they don't succeed then they give up, back off to save fuel and try to jump him by pitting later. DRS on the other hand made sure we the fans would get consistent attack-defense racing.

Yes, it made passing “easier”. But, you can also look at it from the perspective of it trying to make up for the inherent performance disadvantage you must to drive through while trying to pass. And I mean, how much talk has there been about the DRS last year or the year before? To me last years racing was pretty good, and I'm sure most will agree on this.
    So DRS is here to stay, unless people want to go back to 10-12secs/lap slower car with heavy in-fancies on mechanical grip, something like nascar. But then, F1 wouldn't be regarded as the pinnacle of motor racing.
    DRS is just a lazy implementation as to counteract all the mistakes made in the past years concerning the design of the cars you refer to.
    That hopefully will become painfully obvious when the new rules come in effect and with some luck, DRS goes away , once and for all.
    Then, it will be a very good question to be answered by advocates such as you, how is it that cars can overtake, without this "innovation".
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    DRS is just a lazy implementation as to counteract all the mistakes made in the past years concerning the design of the cars you refer to.
    That hopefully will become painfully obvious when the new rules come in effect and with some luck, DRS goes away , once and for all.
    Then, it will be a very good question to be answered by advocates such as you, how is it that cars can overtake, without this "innovation".
    I am definitely with tifosi1993... DRS is here to stay.

F1 is about making the ultimate racing machine and having the best drivers have their go. If a Tech like DRS is a tool that needs to be used, so be it. What other relevance does it have??? In recent years apart from the F Duct, its the only other tech that has made its way into road cars. Correct me if I am missing on anything else.

I do see the other side of coin, it is artificial. And there in lies the problem. If DRS can only be used in a certain part of a track, only one driver canbhave the advantage, that is the hunter.

But if we are to allow the useage by both the hunter and the hunted within a limoted time frame st any part of the track, it would neutralise any artificiality! And skills would come into play.

I am sure there are ways to clean up dirty air left behind in wake and rather than asking teams to design cars with restrictive placements of components, why cant the rule makers ask them to desgin a car just have four open wheels, a rear DRS and a front wing... any and all other fields are up to their privy as long as certain drag coefficient measures are met and dirty air limited.

Teams should also be allowed to have their own type of electric PU and not be restricted to a a MGUK/ERS or KERS design. Lastly, fuel flow should be ditchedx but rather teams should be given the 150kgs of fuel for a sunday and drivers/teams should have to manage their usage.

You may have the occasional coasting, but fuel be budgeted against performance, rather than fuel flow dictating performance.

Coming to the new rules, i am not a fan of down sizing the engines but that is a fact of life, which we are going to have to accept. If they choose to do this, teams shouldnbe allowed to pick their own type of ICE, as long as it meets displacement criteria.

These set of principles i suggest are basically to encourage larger manufacturers to be open to the idea of getting involved in F1. And to alloencreative freedom.

In this moment in time. F1 is slowly heading into a spec series and eventually even Ferrari is going to want to leave. What is the point in saying your car is desinged in conjunction with the best of the best F1 cars, PS the F1 car is made up of parts bins from various manufacturers.

F1 has lost its identity to entice fans back with measures to control dominance and by creating artificial racing. They should really go back to see what us fans loved about the sport in years gone back and bring thoes elements back where needed.

15 years ago, i could not imagine being anywhere but my front room on Raceday.... today, i even refuse to sign up to sky sports.

Last year, my wife decided i had given up enough to get me to go watch the Monaco GP. Lovely experiance and all, loved every bit of the weekend.... but deep inside, i was like thats a waste of 3000 pounds, after he weekend i kepr thinking i would have much rather taken her and the child away for a proper holiday.

This is the thing. Things like DRS or design or tracks the Tilke way or the whole specs thing you described is what drives the sport into the ground.
    Yes times are changing but the fact remains f1 was never a sport for many teams.
    I believe that it is all about greed and business that we are witnessing here not to mention laziness. I will say it again. We need no DRS but we do need innovation and to be bold in solutions.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Lazy implementation huh....well it's easy to say from outside. Now one would assume that F1 teams, multi million dollar entities and some of them are backed by billion dollar companies and individuals, with all their highly intelligent engineers have gone through extensive research and process of elimination, and found DRS to be the most suitable solution. And again...it's not like we had hundreds of over-takings per race in 80's or 90's, there was hardly any over-taking back then either. Its always easy to complain, but there is little appreciation for the difficulty and effort involved in achieving them.

And I am not sure what mistakes you're referring to. As I said before, in the past rule makers hardly cared about over-takings...since those cars never had any meaningful downforce to begin with. But with technological advancement and aero being much more preferable over mechanical...F1 cars are getting faster and faster. It's a natural process.

And as for the new rules, well we shall see. But I am pretty sure DRS will still remain relevant. Now the FIA will always try to improve the racing, they will always try to reduce the downforce of current cars and close down any potential loopholes, its part of their job. Now F1 teams on the other hand, will always try to claw back the lost downforce and build the fastest car possible. They're not going to sacrifice speed for the sake of close racing. And like always, the teams will come out on top, no matter how much the FIA tries. Ground effect has plenty of untapped potentials and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the ground effect cars turn out to be faster in the corners than current gen F1 cars.

And I will always be an ardent supporter of fast pace racing and fast cars. I don't want F1 to become another nascar. And people will always complain, thats just the way it is. To me most F1 fans are too superficial and not enough attention is given to the quality of racing we had last year or the year before.

Lazy implementation huh....well it's easy to say from outside. Now one would assume that F1 teams, multi million dollar entities and some of them are backed by billion dollar companies and individuals, with all their highly intelligent engineers have gone through extensive research and process of elimination, and found DRS to be the most suitable solution. And again...it's not like we had hundreds of over-takings per race in 80's or 90's, there was hardly any over-taking back then either. Its always easy to complain, but there is little appreciation for the difficulty and effort involved in achieving them.

And I am not sure what mistakes you're referring to. As I said before, in the past rule makers hardly cared about over-takings...since those cars never had any meaningful downforce to begin with. But with technological advancement and aero being much more preferable over mechanical...F1 cars are getting faster and faster. It's a natural process.

And as for the new rules, well we shall see. But I am pretty sure DRS will still remain relevant. Now the FIA will always try to improve the racing, they will always try to reduce the downforce of current cars and close down any potential loopholes, its part of their job. Now F1 teams on the other hand, will always try to claw back the lost downforce and build the fastest car possible. They're not going to sacrifice speed for the sake of close racing. And like always, the teams will come out on top, no matter how much the FIA tries. Ground effect has plenty of untapped potentials and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the ground effect cars turn out to be faster in the corners than current gen F1 cars.

And I will always be an ardent supporter of fast pace racing and fast cars. I don't want F1 to become another nascar. And people will always complain, thats just the way it is. To me most F1 fans are too superficial and not enough attention is given to the quality of racing we had last year or the year before.
    Overtaking in the 80's, 90's 2000's took more skill before DRS was introduced. Remember, DRS was introduced to "enhance" overtaking given the aero of the cars.

What you call "racing" in this hybrid turbo era, I call "reliability racing" since ALOT has been put on reduced RPM's and fuel flow parameters to prolong these mulit-million dollar PU's because of the component allocation allotment criteria. These drivers turn the engines down during the race to "save" the engine also to include tire management.

It's amazing what these engineers have done on the PU side with thermal efficiency and the miles they get on 100kg of fuel during a race.....but leave that to WEC instead of F1 for reliability and road relevance.

Even WEC is restricted......the Porsche 919 Evo (illegal) just showed what a taste of an unrestricted LMP1 is capable of doing on track. The comparison between a legal 919 LMP1 vs a 919 Evo LMP1 is like night and day on the horsepower side.

In other words, move the restrictions on the fuel flow rates and raise the RPM's on the PU side.....at least we will see a level above what we are currently seeing.

Then comes the aero....which in 2022 looks to be "dumbed down." 2017 and 2018 will probably see the most aero efficient cars when it comes to the front wings(42 cascade elements in total) and rear diffusers but bad for the following car due to the wake.

This is Ross Brawn's area. I get it, it's not going to be overnight but slowly, in baby steps, he might get back to actual "racing"...... I stress MIGHT.

MotoGP has stayed true to it's heritage of actual racing. They have all-electric bikes that go just as fast with these NA MotoGP riders that have driven them.....but they have'nt introduced all-electric bikes in MotoGP....it remains NA and the racing is actual racing.
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 16th April 2020 at 16:26.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Overtaking in the 80's, 90's 2000's took more skill before DRS was introduced. Remember, DRS was introduced to "enhance" overtaking given the aero of the cars.

What you call "racing" in this hybrid turbo era, I call "reliability racing" since ALOT has been put on reduced RPM's and fuel flow parameters to prolong these mulit-million dollar PU's because of the component allocation allotment criteria. These drivers turn the engines down during the race to "save" the engine also to include tire management.

It's amazing what these engineers have done on the PU side with thermal efficiency and the miles they get on 100kg of fuel during a race.....but leave that to WEC instead of F1 for reliability and road relevance.

Even WEC is restricted......the Porsche 919 Evo (illegal) just showed what a taste of an unrestricted LMP1 is capable of doing on track. The comparison between a legal 919 LMP1 vs a 919 Evo LMP1 is like night and day on the horsepower side.

In other words, move the restrictions on the fuel flow rates and raise the RPM's on the PU side.....at least we will see a level above what we are currently seeing.

Then comes the aero....which in 2022 looks to be "dumbed down." 2017 and 2018 will probably see the most aero efficient cars when it comes to the front wings(42 cascade elements in total) and rear diffusers but bad for the following car due to the wake.

This is Ross Brawn's area. I get it, it's not going to be overnight but slowly, in baby steps, he might get back to actual "racing"...... I stress MIGHT.

MotoGP has stayed true to it's heritage of actual racing. They have all-electric bikes that go just as fast with these NA MotoGP riders that have driven them.....but they have'nt introduced all-electric bikes in MotoGP....it remains NA and the racing is actual racing.
    My understanding of we are all saying is, that we are in the same page. You may not like DRS, thats a personal matter. I do noy mind it one bit.

But fact of the matter is, rules are getting to prescritive in what the teams can do. Eventually its just going to be different colours.

Why can F1 not just say, open wheels, 7 million per race as budget, an extra 3 if you are an engine manufacturer, 4 engines per season. If you blow up an engine... no replacements, car behind should be able to have clean air, use any engine you like, no more than X litres of fuel to be used on a Sat/Sun, you can use any set of tyres or manufactuter you lile as long as you use two differnt sets on sunday, refueling is the teams problem, if they want they can and the world is your oyster.

Managing the engine and tyres even brakes has always been there in F1, some would think Alain Prost did not exist or something
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    that was epic....Schumi the rain master
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post

VETTEL HINTS AT FERRARI RE-SIGNING
    https://www.motorsportweek.com/2020/...acing-resumes/
    Last edited by JHAMMER; 18th April 2020 at 15:40.
    Changes aren't permanent........But change is.
    ALL LIVES MATTER... EVEN YOURS

Quote Originally Posted by JHAMMER View Post
    Sorry to be pedantic about grammar, but yours is the classic example of a missing hyphen making all the difference: read literally, your statement makes it seem like Ferrari is going to resign from F1. Instead, it should have been written re-signing with a hyphen...sorry, but...it does make a difference sometimes.

As for Vettel re-signing - oh, hell no. He's well past his prime and, frankly, Ferrari can do better than him, even with a younger and less 'proven' driver. Re-signing Vettel would be such a stupid, monumentally 'safe' cop-out by the Scuderia. I really hope it doesn't happen, but, alas, it probably will.

Ferrari never learns...

Re-signing Seb would be a rinse-repeat of last year and the year before.

I would get Ricciardo in place of Seb.

I guess Ferrari are making an "emotional"decision rather than a winning decision as far as drivers go. They're half right in getting Leclerc.

Red/bull will be prime in taking the 2nd, possibly 1st, spot in the WCC along with the WDC from Mercedes with drivers like Max and Albon.

Leclerc will have to fend for himself unfortunately with Seb as a team-mate.

It's proven that Ricciardo can't out drive Max one on one, and hopefully it will be Ferrari up fighting to stay in 1st place every race. Max and Louis will more than likely the competition up there. I believe Ricciardo will be trying to out do Charles for #1 seat and not trying when needed to help Charles stay in 1st if team orders are called. I wish Gio would get the shot and do a " Charles " 1st. year for Ferrari . At least he will be a true team mate and do what he can when he can for Charles who is right up there with the best. His salary also will be more acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    It's proven that Ricciardo can't out drive Max one on one, .....
    Ricciardo can outdrive Max......it's hard when the team is pulling for one guy which is why he left RedBull in the first place.

I wish Gio would get the shot and do a " Charles "............
    Not GIO.......I just don't see him driving for Ferrari....plus he's not tactfully aggressive.

Ricciardo can outdrive Max......it's hard when the team is pulling for one guy which is why he left RedBull in the first place.

Not GIO.......I just don't see him driving for Ferrari....plus he's not tactfully aggressive.
    Why was the R Bull team pulling for the supposed #2 driver? They saw who should be #1.Max didn't let R Bull down. How tactfully aggressive was, is , Max ? Get out of my way or else ! Look at how Max now compares with the top drivers, look at how Dan is doing. Ferrari tried going with a 4x WDC and look what happened. Gio will be ever so proud and happy to get a Ferrari seat.

Why was the R Bull team pulling for the supposed #2 driver? They saw who should be #1.Max didn't let R Bull down. How tactfully aggressive was, is , Max ? Get out of my way or else ! Look at how Max now compares with the top drivers, look at how Dan is doing. Ferrari tried going with a 4x WDC and look what happened. Gio will be ever so proud and happy to get a Ferrari seat.
    Yes, Max was the "get-out-of-my-way or else" driver. Afte his so called "push" with Ocon in the "S's" in Brazil, Max has calmed down to an extent in his driving....it's more mature.

Ricciardo is getting paid over $30 million with Renault since the move......so it's the car and NOT the driver......and the dollar amount is ALOT more than what Redbull was paying Ricciardo....plus he's number 1 with Renault.

To compare Seb to Ricciardo at this moment is non-comparable. Seb won his 4x WDC titles with Redbull under a different formula and since the move to Ferrari, Seb has been faltering as of late ompared to his team-mate.

Again, in the 80's and early 90's, there was hardly in overtakes. Any one can look up the data and reach their own conclusions, I'm sure everyone have access to internet nowadays. And even if there were some overtakes, it was mainly when a faster car found itself behind mid-field cars due to some bad pit-stops. People always talk about Senna, but they often forget the simple fact that, most of the the he was either driving a Mclaren or a Williams, and those cars had an advantage of 1.5-2 seconds per lap over the rest.

And cars of 2000's had ABS and Traction Control, huge advantage when it comes to undertaking breaking, or when it is time to out-break someone. And tyres back then was tailored made for top cars, a huge disadvantage for midfield teams.

And I also don't get the F1 vs WEC comparisons. WEC is pretty much all about factory teams, backed by billion dollar car companies. If the same rules are applied in F1, it would kill all the non-manufacturers teams. And if the FIA throw away the rule book and open up the regulations, then F1 will become an absolute snooze fest because of the dominance of one or two teams. And most importantly, WEC doesn't suffer from the same appalling regulatory capture that F1 does. And it's not like, even with less regulations, the WEC prototypes are anywhere close to current F1 car's speed.

And comparing 2 wheelers with 4 wheelers are like comparing apples with oranges.
    Last edited by tifosi1993; 18th April 2020 at 16:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Vittorio View Post
    Sorry to be pedantic about grammar, but yours is the classic example of a missing hyphen making all the difference: read literally, your statement makes it seem like Ferrari is going to resign from F1. Instead, it should have been written re-signing with a hyphen...sorry, but...it does make a difference sometimes.

As for Vettel re-signing - oh, hell no. He's well past his prime and, frankly, Ferrari can do better than him, even with a younger and less 'proven' driver. Re-signing Vettel would be such a stupid, monumentally 'safe' cop-out by the Scuderia. I really hope it doesn't happen, but, alas, it probably will.

Ferrari never learns...
    HAPPY NOW
    Changes aren't permanent........But change is.
    ALL LIVES MATTER... EVEN YOURS

Again, in the 80's and early 90's, there was hardly in overtakes. Any one can look up the data and reach their own conclusions, I'm sure everyone have access to internet nowadays. And even if there were some overtakes, it was mainly when a faster car found itself behind mid-field cars due to some bad pit-stops. People always talk about Senna, but they often forget the simple fact that, most of the the he was either driving a Mclaren or a Williams, and those cars had an advantage of 1.5-2 seconds per lap over the rest.

And cars of 2000's had ABS and Traction Control, huge advantage when it comes to undertaking breaking, or when it is time to out-break someone. And tyres back then was tailored made for top cars, a huge disadvantage for midfield teams.
    How DRS has skewed Formula 1's overtaking records

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/12...taking-records

And I also don't get the F1 vs WEC comparisons. WEC is pretty much all about factory teams, backed by billion dollar car companies. If the same rules are applied in F1, it would kill all the non-manufacturers teams. And if the FIA throw away the rule book and open up the regulations, then F1 will become an absolute snooze fest because of the dominance of one or two teams. And most importantly, WEC doesn't suffer from the same appalling regulatory capture that F1 does. And it's not like, even with less regulations, the WEC prototypes are anywhere close to current F1 car's speed.
    F1 does'nt have factory teams backed by MULTI-billion dollar companies?????? i.e. Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault, RedBull???

Snoozefest because of the dominance of 1 team??? Some would say it was/is a snoozefest with Prost/Senna era, Schumacher era, Vettel era, and now Hamitlon.

I realize the speed difference between WEC and F1 but simply stated if some of the regs were pulled from F1 (like the 919 Evo LMP1) then we would really see a level above what we are actually witnessing.

And comparing 2 wheelers with 4 wheelers are like comparing apples with oranges.
    I did'nt compare "2 wheelers WITH 4 wheelers." Simply stated that the regs and mulit-billion companies behind the bikes have stayed pretty much the same over the years given the advancement in electric bikes of the same caliber.

And tyres back then was tailored made for top cars, a huge disadvantage for midfield teams.
    Tires are completely different from the 2000's to this current Turbo Hybrid era.

Back then, the tires were narrower and grooved.

Today, the tires are wider, slick, and stickier with a host of various compounds.

Whick today is still a "dis-advantage" to the midfield teams???
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 18th April 2020 at 17:44.

Yes, Max was the "get-out-of-my-way or else" driver. Afte his so called "push" with Ocon in the "S's" in Brazil, Max has calmed down to an extent in his driving....it's more mature.

Ricciardo is getting paid over $30 million with Renault since the move......so it's the car and NOT the driver......and the dollar amount is ALOT more than what Redbull was paying Ricciardo....plus he's number 1 with Renault.

To compare Seb to Ricciardo at this moment is non-comparable. Seb won his 4x WDC titles with Redbull under a different formula and since the move to Ferrari, Seb has been faltering as of late ompared to his team-mate.
    Ricciardo has to be totally happy where he is. $30 million + reasons and he's in the #1 seat. Ferrari would be crazy to give the#1 seat or anywhere near that salary to him. I agree with you that this new, different formula has Seb out of the #1 driver category . Gio will be humble and do his utmost if given the chance @ Ferrari. Ferrari took Charles on with the greatest of results, now's the tome to give Gio the same chance to get Ferrari where they belong , #1 !!

I read information on the internet that there would be more 2 races at Silverstone Circuit because many racing team's headOffice in UK. If that would be really it mean Mec will win at least twice, therefore would be unfair with us. Ferrari would against this idea. In my opinion it would happen at new track like Vietnam, or Bahrain.

Quote Originally Posted by JHAMMER View Post
    HAPPY NOW
    OH, YES!

Vetal resigning will end Lewis Hamilton's aspirations of joining Ferrari.Lewis now faces a massive salary cut from mercedes the door opened slightly for him and sebastian has potentially slammed it shut.Generally the big money is gone in f1 for all the big names.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Vetal resigning will end Lewis Hamilton's aspirations of joining Ferrari.Lewis now faces a massive salary cut from mercedes the door opened slightly for him and sebastian has potentially slammed it shut.Generally the big money is gone in f1 for all the big names.
    If anyone can; I'm sure Louis would race with Merc regardless of his salary being cut due to the world wide virus dilemma affecting all sports. What a terrible time for fans to not have F-1 to watch while at home 24/7 for the most part. Any track will do !

Let's hope for some racing soon the world is in the Lord's hands AMEN.��

How DRS has skewed Formula 1's overtaking records

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/12...taking-records
    DRS, a device designed to improve overtaking chances had indeed produced results, who would've thought. But the main discussion wasn't about overtaking numbers, but was mainly about whether DRS is needed or not. And I'd say DRS is doing it's job rather well.

"How aerodynamics have skewed formula 1's lap records" you could do this for anything, because many past records have and will be skewed by ever evolving F1 technology.

F1 does'nt have factory teams backed by MULTI-billion dollar companies?????? i.e. Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault, RedBull???

Snoozefest because of the dominance of 1 team??? Some would say it was/is a snoozefest with Prost/Senna era, Schumacher era, Vettel era, and now Hamitlon.

I realize the speed difference between WEC and F1 but simply stated if some of the regs were pulled from F1 (like the 919 Evo LMP1) then we would really see a level above what we are actually witnessing.
    Of course F1 has teams backed by billion dollar manufacturers...did I say anything otherwise? Read my post again.

What I said is, if we open up the regulations and let big teams (Ferrari and Mercedes) do whatever they want, then all other private/non manufacturer backed teams would go bankrupt. No way they would ever able to compete with the big two cost-wise, hell even Mclaren would struggle hard to keep up with the big two. I am sure Red Bull can match Ferrari/Mercedes, but I don't think Dietrich Mateschitz would spent a billion just to develop a F1 car.

That is why WEC is dominated by the big three. Because no other privately owned team would match the financial and manufacturing prowess of Audi/Porsche/Toyota.

I did'nt compare "2 wheelers WITH 4 wheelers." Simply stated that the regs and mulit-billion companies behind the bikes have stayed pretty much the same over the years given the advancement in electric bikes of the same caliber.
    Ok.

Tires are completely different from the 2000's to this current Turbo Hybrid era.

Back then, the tires were narrower and grooved.

Today, the tires are wider, slick, and stickier with a host of various compounds.

Whick today is still a "dis-advantage" to the midfield teams???
    I am well aware of the difference in compounds, but again, that's not the point.
    The main point is, unlike the Bridgestone/Michelin era, current Pirelli's are uniformly manufactured.
    Bridgestone only cared about Ferrari, Michelin only cared about Mclaren, Renault and Williams, they were specifically designed and developed solely for the Ferrari/Mclaren/Renault/Williams chassis.
    But that's no the case with current F1. Pirelli tyres are not designed to suit one specific chassis, it's the teams who have to design their cars to suit Pirelli tyres.

If Pirelli, lets say, only designed their tyres to suit Mercedes, wouldn't be a huge "dis-advantage" for Ferrari and the rest?

Ricciardo has to be totally happy where he is. $30 million + reasons and he's in the #1 seat. Ferrari would be crazy to give the#1 seat or anywhere near that salary to him. I agree with you that this new, different formula has Seb out of the #1 driver category . Gio will be humble and do his utmost if given the chance @ Ferrari. Ferrari took Charles on with the greatest of results, now's the tome to give Gio the same chance to get Ferrari where they belong , #1 !!
    You know I'm kinda warming to the idea of having Sainz next to Leclerc. If Vettel doesn't sign (which I think is a mistake, because I doubt there are too many teams willing to even pay 12million to drivers right about now and I would have have put his offer at an even 10 mil), then Sainz might be the right guy at this time. He has some experience, he's level headed and calm, he has some decent speed and I think he'd get along with Leclerc. I'd give Gio another year at Alfa at least. I think it would be better for Leclerc to have someone with experience for next year. He said he learned quite a bit from Vettel about managing his race pace.

Sainz is OK for sure. I have to say the majority here says Gio needs another year at least before getting blessed with that #2 seat. I have to believe he learned some skills along side Kimi at Alfa and I want an Italiano in that seat. But I don't want to give up any chance of Ferrari winning because of a bad choice. I need F-1 bad !!! Be Silent; and Be safe !!

Latest rumour - Alonso willing to join Ferrari if Seb goes. On the salary of 14mil dollars, same as offered to Seb. Only condition is A WINNING CAR.