Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516172853 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 F1 news/rumours

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    In one of the articles posted, Mercedes, as a whole, has lost over a BILLION euros in sales.....which is a contributing factor.....among others....plus Mercedes has to lay off 10,000 workers.

Mercedes spends half a Billion in F1....and in previous years....close to half a billion.
    - Merc's total spending in 2018: £311.4m

- Merc's profit in 2018: £13.3m (post-tax)

- Daimler AG's 2018 contribution to Merc: £64.3m (reduced to £39m after Merc paid £25.3m for PU supply)

- Merc % of 2018 TV revenue: 24% (Advertising Value Equivalent or AER of £3.1bn for its commercial partners).

- Mercedes-Benz's brand value has grown from $31.9bn in 2013 to $48.6bn in 2018 (determination via Interbrand)

Source: Mercedes-Benz' financial statement, 2018.

Alonso: Hamilton’s ‘weak points’ not tested

Fernando Alonso believes Lewis Hamilton has “weak points” in Formula 1 – but nobody is getting close to potentially exploiting them.

Hamilton strolled to a sixth World Championship title in 2019 and is clear favourite to win a seventh piece of silverware in 2020, which would put him level with the legendary Michael Schumacher.

Watching from the outside looking in, Hamilton’s former team-mate, Alonso, feels there are chinks in Hamilton’s armour.

“He’s made a step forward,” Alonso told F1 Racing magazine.

“He is more competitive, more prepared.

“He still has some weak points that have not been stressed yet. No-one is pressing that button, that weakness.”

Alonso elaborated on Hamilton being able to raise his level, saying that even when he is not winning, the Brit is never miles behind.

“He’s raised the level the last couple of years, especially in 2019 when the car has not been as dominant as other seasons,” Alonso added.

“If he cannot win, he’s a very close second. Not 20 seconds further back, which is what happens a little bit with Valtteri.

“A weekend when the car is not as competitive, Bottas is fifth or sixth or a minute behind, but Lewis is not.

“If you study Lewis’ season, there is always a common trend. He starts the year slowly and no-one takes the benefit of that.

“We all get excited that it will be the year of Bottas, but it’s not.”

Referring back to Hamilton’s ‘weak points’, Alonso said he would like to see if he can be one to expose those weaknesses, if they do indeed exist.

He said: “It would be nice to compete against him in a proper fight. Maybe his weak points are not real and everything is calculated but it would be nice to discover.

“When you have a good package and the other guys crash and you extend your championship lead, everything seems calm.

“If you are only one point behind or 10 points behind, the stress is different. The mistakes are different and your radio communications are different. We need to see him when the pressure is on.”
    "Formula 1 is not a sport anymore” - Fernando Alonso

Racing Point to become Aston Martin F1 in 2021

https://www.racefans.net/2020/01/31/...m-2021-stroll/
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    If the car has issues once again, neither driver may have the chance to prove themselves, as we found at the start of the season last year. Charles may be able to drive around such problems, Seb's ability to do that seems lacking.
    Here's my take. The very fact that Charles with 2 years in F1 was able to drive along problems like that, whereas Seb could not, speaks huge volumes about who is the able one and proves who is the one that Ferrari needs to invest heavily on.
    And thank God they do just that.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by evo_spook View Post
    Strange, they didn’t swap places in Australia last year. And near the end of the year they made Lewis pit when he could have stopped out and won. I also recall that he fought and passed Lewis in Texas. If he wasn’t allowed to race as you say, why did these happen.
    Because the title was decided by then, just maybe?
    Come on guys...
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Come on guys...
    Exactly, Lewis already had the title in the bag by then....if the near competitor would have been within 10 to 20 pts or so to Lewis all season long I bet my bottom dollar that Merc and Co would have had that lap dog/butler/wing man botas do everything in his power to protect Lewis at every race
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    Exactly, Lewis already had the title in the bag by then....if the near competitor would have been within 10 to 20 pts or so to Lewis all season long I bet my bottom dollar that Merc and Co would have had that lap dog/butler/wing man botas do everything in his power to protect Lewis at every race
    Those 2 yrs. that Michael joined his German home team he taught them everything they need to know on how the WDC & WCC are won, and it all worked out perfect for them! Michael was the inventor of "do everything in his power to be protected at every race, not only his #2 driver but the midjet Todt on his radio at all times and Ross giving strict instructions before every race to always be ready to move over for Michael. It worked well for both Schumy and Lewis. Not so well for our German driver Seb. More than a great car to win with Lewis drove pretty good; and had the best teammate in F-1 ! When Lewis gets 7+ WDCs Bottas will deserve a super bonus $$$ also.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Those 2 yrs. that Michael joined his German home team he taught them everything they need to know on how the WDC & WCC are won, and it all worked out perfect for them! Michael was the inventor of "do everything in his power to be protected at every race, not only his #2 driver but the midjet Todt on his radio at all times and Ross giving strict instructions before every race to always be ready to move over for Michael. It worked well for both Schumy and Lewis. Not so well for our German driver Seb. More than a great car to win with Lewis drove pretty good; and had the best teammate in F-1 ! When Lewis gets 7+ WDCs Bottas will deserve a super bonus $$$ also.
    The perfect team is a delicate balancing act. That is why you rarely see it. You need a competitive car, one top driver, and (this is the difficult part) a second driver who could be a champion in your car but not in another. That is what Michael had with Reubens, and what Lewis has with Valtieri. Just look at the 1-2 WDC finishes between Michael and Reubens and Lewis and Valtieri.

Move over ! Let him pass ! Were paying him $50 million ! What Michael had with Rubens was Todt, Ross and he was a German great driver. What happened with Seb is killing the Ferrari legacy . the 4 WDCs were there! The pay for sure was, is there. Charles is and will prove that his driving can make a WDC driver without depending on the team orders. Charles' fans can ; I hope watch the future races knowing he's actually racing to win, not just follow orders and be 1st of the losers coming in 2nd. or worse. Max caused Dan's demise @ R Bull by being so aggressive on the track. It worked for him as far as now being recognized as a true competitor. He's no longer just "Crashstappen ! ' Unfortunately Seb took that title.

Move over ! Let him pass ! Were paying him $50 million ! What Michael had with Rubens was Todt, Ross and he was a German great driver. What happened with Seb is killing the Ferrari legacy . the 4 WDCs were there! The pay for sure was, is there. Charles is and will prove that his driving can make a WDC driver without depending on the team orders. Charles' fans can ; I hope watch the future races knowing he's actually racing to win, not just follow orders and be 1st of the losers coming in 2nd. or worse. Max caused Dan's demise @ R Bull by being so aggressive on the track. It worked for him as far as now being recognized as a true competitor. He's no longer just "Crashstappen ! ' Unfortunately Seb took that title.
    Leave Seb alone, he’s just practicing on his ballerina skills so one day he’ll excel at figure skating
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Come on guys...
    I’m sorry? The title was won in Australia, you do talk some tripe

Here we go again, Mercedes with their bull crap stories again, and the season hasn’t even started yet
    Claiming they may have some small issues with their 2020 engine.....yeah right Toto like we believe your stories that you play year over year

Here we go again, Mercedes with their bull crap stories again, and the season hasn’t even started yet
    Claiming they may have some small issues with their 2020 engine.....yeah right Toto like we believe your stories that you play year over year
    yup.. they are just carrying on from where they left off last year, nothing new.

"...there's lots of improvements across the board of the power unit, as ever we are fighting little issues..."

Nothing negative with this statement. To me sounds more positive than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    "...there's lots of improvements across the board of the power unit, as ever we are fighting little issues..."

Nothing negative with this statement. To me sounds more positive than anything.
    Yup, every team will have glitches, especially small ones, if not, they haven’t worked hard enough

So there's no way Merc has any small 2020 engine issues. Lewis is for sure a 7 WDC champion, will pass 91 wins and on and on. Here I was ; hoping Charles had a shot at WDC. Again they have Michael to praise for his input as Totto always says, it was Michael who taught them all they needed to learn to be where they are. At least he admits they had help from a great.

ChineseGP (coronavirus)

Statement issued on 3 February from the #Shanghai Sports Federation says as a part of preventative measures to "effectively prevent the spread of the outbreak, ALL sporting events & activities will be suspended until the outbreak has concluded."

The Federation goes on to say the suspension applies to "all sports events, conventions, showcases & foreign cultural exchange activities." Statement ends by saying "with the greatest determination & effort, we will resolutely prevent the outbreak from spreading."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EP_554aVUAA1uVz.jpg

Hello Tifosi,

I just learned that AMD is leaving Ferrari for Mercedes. Does anyone know the reasons why and what computer systems will Ferrari be using in the paddock this year? I'm a bit intrigued by this news because Ferrari actually saved AMD from bankruptcy and now it feels a bit distasteful for them to be leaving to Mercedes of all teams.
    I have yet to meet anyone quite so stubborn as myself and animated by this overpowering passion that leaves me no time for thought or anything else. I have, in fact, no interest in life outside racing cars.
    Enzo Ferrari

For the safety of the drivers and pit crew alone; the F-1 race should be cancelled. How can the thousands of fans that go to the race be checked?

2020 Barcelona Testng: Feb. 19th - 21st & Feb. 26th - 28th

F1 press release on Barcelona Winter Testing “Teams are no longer allowed to deploy vanity screens at the front of their garages while the track is open in the morning and afternoon. The only exceptions to this are if a car needs to be repaired following a crash or a technical failure. It means that, right from the very start of winter testing, the ten new cars will be fully visible to the media in pit-lane, the fans in the grandstands and those watching testing on F1 TV.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    2020 Barcelona Testng: Feb. 19th - 21st & Feb. 26th - 28th

F1 press release on Barcelona Winter Testing “Teams are no longer allowed to deploy vanity screens at the front of their garages while the track is open in the morning and afternoon. The only exceptions to this are if a car needs to be repaired following a crash or a technical failure. It means that, right from the very start of winter testing, the ten new cars will be fully visible to the media in pit-lane, the fans in the grandstands and those watching testing on F1 TV.
    ...unless ferrari will say that now and again they had a technical failure....put the screens up and do some setup on the car....i know it would be kind of cheeky....:)

No screens! F-1 as we know it will be forever ruined! Even the fans will see what's going on !

Schumacher vs. Hamilton (Brawns perspective)

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...hwCwvpMZs.html

Anythng goies during testing days....

From Pirelli

Now that #Fit4F1 18-inch testing is done @circuitodejerez, here’s the schedule for our private #F1testing with all the teams for the rest of 2020, using mule cars with 18-inch 2021 prototype tyres @F1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQU7sRZWsAAwfZj.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by brawnydog View Post
    Hello Tifosi,

I just learned that AMD is leaving Ferrari for Mercedes. Does anyone know the reasons why and what computer systems will Ferrari be using in the paddock this year? I'm a bit intrigued by this news because Ferrari actually saved AMD from bankruptcy and now it feels a bit distasteful for them to be leaving to Mercedes of all teams.
    I don't know how you figure that Ferrari taking AMD's money to put their logo on the car equates to "saving AMD from bankruptcy".

I understand team loyalty, but some of the posts on this forum are almost cult-like. Sponsorship is a business decision. Sponsors come and sponsors go. You want to keep a sponsor? Then keep your car at the front.

No screens! F-1 as we know it will be forever ruined! Even the fans will see what's going on !
    I kinda liked the "Wizard of Oz" feel of the old rule: "Pay no attention to the car behind the curtain!"

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorUS View Post
    I don't know how you figure that Ferrari taking AMD's money to put their logo on the car equates to "saving AMD from bankruptcy".

I understand team loyalty, but some of the posts on this forum are almost cult-like. Sponsorship is a business decision. Sponsors come and sponsors go. You want to keep a sponsor? Then keep your car at the front.
    No brawnydog was right. Ferrari helped AMD stay afloat by introducing AMD to Ferrari's Abu Dhabi sponsors. They ended up buying AMD's factories, pulling AMD out of the red. Look it up maybe before dissing someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    No brawnydog was right. Ferrari helped AMD stay afloat by introducing AMD to Ferrari's Abu Dhabi sponsors. They ended up buying AMD's factories, pulling AMD out of the red. Look it up maybe before dissing someone.
    Thanks for the follow-up. But it actually helps make my point. If Ferrari's Abu Dhabi sponsors bought the factories, then they are the ones who went to Mercedes from Ferrari. As I said, sponsorship is a business decision. No more, no less. To think that sponsorship is some sort of blood oath is just dumb.