Page 1 of 64 1234567891011121314152651 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 F1 news/rumours

2020 F1 news/rumours

A huge piece of the 2021 driver market puzzle was slotted into place on day seven of 2020, with Red Bull announcing they had convinced Max Verstappen to sign a contract extension

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...Io90pTapU.html

VERSTAPPEN EXTENDS WITH RED BULL UNTIL 2023

Max Verstappen has signed to stay at Red Bull until the end of 2023 in a clear vote of confidence in the former world champions’ Formula One title potential and their Honda partnership.

The announcement on Tuesday leaves two of the top three teams with young driver talent secure for the long-term, with Ferrari announcing in December that Charles Leclerc was staying to 2024.

“I am really happy to have extended my partnership with the team. Red Bull believed in me and gave me the opportunity to start in Formula One which I have always been very grateful for,” Verstappen, 22, said in a statement.

“Over the years I have grown closer and closer with the team and besides the passion from everyone and the on-track performance it is also really enjoyable to work with such a great group of people.

“Honda coming onboard and the progress we have made over the last 12 months gives me even more motivation and the belief that we can win together…I want to win with Red Bull and our goal is of course to fight for a World Championship together.”

Red Bull finished third last year in the first season of a new partnership with Honda, which proved an immediate success after the Japanese manufacturer’s failed relationship with McLaren.

Verstappen was best of the rest behind Mercedes drivers Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas.

The rumor mill will now focus more on six-times world champion Hamilton, who is out of contract at the end of this year, and the future of Leclerc’s four-times champion team mate Sebastian Vettel.

Verstappen won three races in 2019, and now has a career total of eight F1 victories, and is seen as a champion-in-waiting.

The Dutchman, who in 2016 became the youngest ever race winner in the sport’s history, had been linked to both Ferrari and Mercedes in paddock speculation.

He may have damaged his Ferrari chances, however, by accusing the Italian team of cheating with their engine last season — comments that went down badly at Maranello.

Mercedes, who also have Bottas out of contract at the end of 2020, are waiting on Hamilton — who turned 35 on Tuesday and has had talks with Ferrari chairman John Elkann — to decide his next step.

Formula One is about to enter a new era in 2021 with sweeping rule changes and what owners Liberty Media hope will be a more level playing field.

“With the challenge of the 2021 regulation changes on the horizon continuity in as many areas as possible is key,” commented team principal Christian Horner.

“Max has proven what an asset he is to the team, he truly believes in the partnership we have forged with our engine supplier Honda, and we are delighted to have extended our relationship with him.”

Press Release:

Aston Martin Red Bull Racing is pleased to announce a contract extension with Max Verstappen to race with the Team until the end of the 2023 season.

Max became the youngest ever race winner in his inaugural season with the Team in 2016. The eight-time Grand Prix winner has since become an integral member of the Team and a driver whose determination to win truly embodies the Red Bull ethos.

Max Verstappen “I am really happy to have extended my partnership with the Team. Red Bull believed in me and gave me the opportunity to start in Formula 1 which I have always been very grateful for. Over the years I have grown closer and closer with the Team and besides the passion from everyone and the on-track performance it is also really enjoyable to work with such a great group of people. Honda coming onboard and the progress we have made over the last 12 months gives me even more motivation and the belief that we can win together. I respect the way Red Bull and Honda work together and from all sides everyone is doing what they can to succeed. I want to win with Red Bull and our goal is of course to fight for a World Championship together.”

Commenting on the extension, Aston Martin Red Bull Racing Team Principal Christian Horner said; “It is fantastic news for the Team to have extended our agreement with Max up-to and including the 2023 season. With the challenge of the 2021 regulation changes on the horizon continuity in as many areas as possible is key. Max has proven what an asset he is to the Team, he truly believes in the partnership we have forged with our engine supplier Honda, and we are delighted to have extended our relationship with him.”
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

"Honda should have secured coverage for part of Max's engagement, confirming Honda's increasing involvement in the Red Bull project, and this has most likely allowed Verstappen to exceed the threshold of 40 million € per season."

Max running after $$

Go Seb !!! He's still on top with his pay even with his tough season ! Ferrari needs to concentrate 100% on Seb's car and demands for 2020 and the results will be fabulous ! Charles will benefit just by being there learning and watching Seb win after win! A Honda engine will never be better than a Ferrari engine even if they come in ahead of Ferrari with points in 2020. It's the name that counts!

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Go Seb !!! He's still on top with his pay even with his tough season ! Ferrari needs to concentrate 100% on Seb's car and demands for 2020 and the results will be fabulous ! Charles will benefit just by being there learning and watching Seb win after win! A Honda engine will never be better than a Ferrari engine even if they come in ahead of Ferrari with points in 2020. It's the name that counts!
    Not going to lie, i read this comment with my mouth open the whole time in such disbelief... Im not even going to begin to argue, but i will say sure, name is important, but results are what is written in the history books. And if you dont think a Honda engine can be better than a Ferrari engine, you might just want to check back to the Mclaren/Honda and Williams/Honda days

Quote Originally Posted by RicRac View Post
    Not going to lie, i read this comment with my mouth open the whole time in such disbelief... Im not even going to begin to argue, but i will say sure, name is important, but results are what is written in the history books. And if you dont think a Honda engine can be better than a Ferrari engine, you might just want to check back to the Mclaren/Honda and Williams/Honda days
    I take your point, and I've always said that based on past experience the Honda engine will come good and that appears to be the case. So it will be down to the team, pitwall and drivers to make sure we don't let RB and Merc spoil our chances.

Quote Originally Posted by RicRac View Post
    Hi Ric Rac! I'm sure there are many fans here that are laughing out loud at my post! You came on board Apr. 2019 ! I gave Max and the Honda engine a top rating all along as a real threat to Ferrari and Merc. I was asked to get lost, find a Honda R Bull forum esp. I was especially called a super troll as far as recognizing Max ! I'm also a big Charles fan and I count him as the #1 driver . My post was just for fun during these boring winter months . All in all I believe Ferrari has what it takes to do the job come this season. The best to you here, it's the place to be !
    Last edited by Brembo; 9th January 2020 at 07:04.

Hi Ric Rac! I'm sure there are many fans here that are laughing out loud at my post! You came on board Apr. 2019 ! I gave Max and the Honda engine a top rating all along as a real threat to Ferrari and Merc. I was asked to get lost, find a Honda R Bull forum esp. I was especially called a super troll as far as recognizing Max ! I'm also a big Charles fan and I count him as the #1 driver . My post was just for fun during these boring winter months . All in all I believe Ferrari has what it takes to do the job come this season. The best to you here, it's the place to be !
    I knew right away it had to be one of two things, Brembo: Either your comment was completely tongue in cheek, or Vettel165 had hacked your account!!

Ok thank goodness that was tounge in cheek i usely see your comments and they make quite abit of sense, but this one hit me like a mallet to the forehead all the best for the year, and lets hope Ferrari have a better season than last

F1 considering switch to two-stroke eco-fuelled engines for 2025

Formula 1 is considering a switch to two-stroke engines for 2025, according to the sport's chief technical officer, Pat Symonds.

Two-stroke engines are best known for powering much smaller vehicles, such as lawnmowers and small motorbikes. It is called a two-stroke as it completed a power cycle with two strokes of the piston (a stroke is an up and down movement) during a single rotation of the crankshaft.

They were previously known for using lots of fuel and having poor emissions, as the burning of oil, as well as fuel, means smoke was often seen coming from the exhaust.

However, Symonds believes that these issues are no longer present, and is currently working on what 'the future of our power units will look like.'

He is quoted by Motorsport Magazine: "At F1 this is what we are engaged in at the moment. I’m very keen on it being a two-stroke [engine].

"Much more efficient, great sound from the exhaust and a lot of the problems with the old two strokes are just not relevant any more.

"The opposed-piston engine is very much coming back and already in road car form at around 50 per cent efficiency.

"Direct injection, pressure charging, and new ignition systems have all allowed new forms of two-stroke engines to be very efficient and very emission-friendly. I think there’s a good future for them."

Eco-fuels are also being considered as a viable fuel option, as the sport continues to find ways of reducing their carbon footprint.

"I think there’s a very high chance that there might still be an internal combustion engine but maybe it’s running on hydrogen," Symonds said.

"I certainly think that the internal combustion engine has a long future and I think it has a future that’s longer than a lot of politicians realise because politicians are hanging everything on electric vehicles.

"There’s nothing wrong with electric vehicles but there are reasons why they are not the solution for everyone."

--------------

Quote Originally Posted by vcs316 View Post

Formula 1 is considering a switch to two-stroke engines for 2025, according to the sport's chief technical officer, Pat Symonds.

Two-stroke engines are best known for powering much smaller vehicles, such as lawnmowers and small motorbikes. It is called a two-stroke as it completed a power cycle with two strokes of the piston (a stroke is an up and down movement) during a single rotation of the crankshaft.

They were previously known for using lots of fuel and having poor emissions, as the burning of oil, as well as fuel, means smoke was often seen coming from the exhaust.

However, Symonds believes that these issues are no longer present, and is currently working on what 'the future of our power units will look like.'

He is quoted by Motorsport Magazine: "At F1 this is what we are engaged in at the moment. I’m very keen on it being a two-stroke [engine].

"Much more efficient, great sound from the exhaust and a lot of the problems with the old two strokes are just not relevant any more.

"The opposed-piston engine is very much coming back and already in road car form at around 50 per cent efficiency.

"Direct injection, pressure charging, and new ignition systems have all allowed new forms of two-stroke engines to be very efficient and very emission-friendly. I think there’s a good future for them."

Eco-fuels are also being considered as a viable fuel option, as the sport continues to find ways of reducing their carbon footprint.

"I think there’s a very high chance that there might still be an internal combustion engine but maybe it’s running on hydrogen," Symonds said.

"I certainly think that the internal combustion engine has a long future and I think it has a future that’s longer than a lot of politicians realise because politicians are hanging everything on electric vehicles.

"There’s nothing wrong with electric vehicles but there are reasons why they are not the solution for everyone."

--------------

This is awful

--------------

Trabant and Wartburg teams should come...

Quote Originally Posted by ferenc_k View Post
    Trabant and Wartburg teams should come...

--------------

Why not just give them bicycles?!

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    better yet Stefa, E-bikes.....ha, ha....
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Well, Kimi already did well lawnmower racing. He should be a sure bet for the 2025 WDC.

https://youtu.be/mE1ZvOF8Vks

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Forget bicycles, give them push karts instead!

Formula 1 set for Ł50m-a-year Saudi Arabia deal – report

Saudi Arabia is poised to be one of the next destinations on the calendar with Formula 1 reportedly close to agreeing a deal worth Ł50million a year.

According to the Daily Mail, amongst other newspaper reports, Saudi Arabia could join the schedule as early as 2021 with a street race in Jeddah acting as a stop-gap until a purpose-built circuit is ready for the following year.

The report also states that Formula 1 has ‘struck a global sponsorship deal’ with Saudi Arabian oil giant Aramco, the world’s richest company valued at $2 trillion, meaning the race would likely be known as the ‘Aramco Saudi Arabian Grand Prix’.

The race is set to be held in the early stages of the season in order to avoid the scorching hot temperatures between May and September.

Formula 1 is no stranger to the Middle East having held races in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi, and promoters of the former race would welcome more growth to the area with the addition of a Saudi Arabian Grand Prix.

A spokesman for the Bahrain International Circuit said: “Since our first race in 2004, our goal has been to grow the fanbase for motorsport in the region. We would, therefore, welcome initiatives which can support that growth and believe that a future race in Saudi Arabia would be complementary.”

It is not just Saudi Arabia that is reportedly set to join the calendar next year as the long sought-after Miami Grand Prix is also said to be close to completion.

The report says that Formula 1 bosses are ‘increasingly confident’ of overcoming the local opposition to the race in order for a second US race to be held in 2021.

It is believed that none of the current races are under threat by the potential new arrivals, meaning a 24-race calendar could be in store from next season.

Australia can enter a team finally it will be known as team victa, they build a fantastic 2 stroke lawn mower engine and chasis.

Alonso: ‘I have the idea of returning to Formula 1

Two-time World Champion Fernando Alonso has the “idea of returning to Formula 1” from 2021, but doesn’t see room for himself at Ferrari.

Alonso walked away from F1 at the end of 2018 after a torrid spell at McLaren during their engine partnership with Honda.

Since then he has been in pursuit of the “triple crown” of motorsport and will return to the Indy 500 in May, while currently he is tackling the grueling Dakar Rally.

And once both of those challenges are complete, the Spaniard may look to plot a way back into Formula 1.

“First I finish the Dakar, then I do the Indianapolis 500, and in the summer I will have to make a decision,” he told the El Partidazo de Cope program.

“I have the idea of returning to Formula 1, “I feel like a Formula 1 driver, it’s what I like most and it’s what I know how to do best.

“I don’t know if I will return or not, but I will think about these next two or three years of my career in the summer. I will decide in the next few months.

“It is the top category of motor racing, but it also has its disadvantages.

“Formula 1 requires a complete dedication of your life.

“I already had 18 years of that and now I have to assess whether I want to do two or three more years of that or not.”

The frustrations of driving an uncompetitive McLaren car caused Alonso to leave the series, and he says that if he returned then he “must look at the teams that are available or interested”.

But it’s hard to see Alonso coming back to F1 if he didn’t have a race-winning car at his disposal.

Such a car could be on offer from Ferrari – Alonso has been linked with a return to the team for whom he drove for between 2010-14, but he isn’t sure there would be an opening for him despite Sebastian Vettel’s contract coming to an end after 2020.

“I have not talked to them,” he revealed.

“I think the journey with Ferrari was nice but I don’t think it’s time to talk about a return. I also believe their bet on the future with [Charles] Leclerc is quite clear.

“For 2021, we need to see who will be competitive, and maybe Ferrari will not be among the favourites. We will see.”
    "Formula 1 is not a sport anymore” - Fernando Alonso

Lewis donated $500,000 to Australia to help with fighting the tragic fires . I wonder about the coming race .

Lewis donated $500,000 to Australia to help with fighting the tragic fires . I wonder about the coming race .
    By race weekend Melbourne will be absolutely fine
    CUT ME. CUT YOU. BOTH OUR BLOOD IS FERRARI RED!

Quote Originally Posted by dfunk257 View Post
    By race weekend Melbourne will be absolutely fine
    Great! Peace to you and all Australia . Keep strong .

Alonso: Hamilton lifestyle not possible in normal car

"Fernando Alonso believes the strength of the Mercedes car allows Lewis Hamilton to have the lifestyle he has outside Formula 1.

Hamilton, looking to become a seven-time World Champion in 2020, is very much in the public spotlight away from the sport, but Alonso thinks his former team-mate would not have that luxury if he did not have a car capable of winning World Championships.

Alonso’s opinion came when asked to compare Hamilton to Michael Schumacher as the Silver Arrows driver tries to match the same number of titles as the German.

“Each have their own character,” Alonso told La Gazzetta dello Sport in an interview taking place in between stages of his first attempt at the Dakar Rally.

“Both of them dominated because of their cars, which allowed them to do what they wanted outside of Formula 1.

“Michael had more discipline and preparation. He was more into the team dynamics.

“Lewis has a different character and lifestyle that would not be right if he had a normal car. His bosses would not be happy.”

Alonso also revealed that he had offers to return to the Formula 1 grid in 2020, but turned them down as the timing was not right for him.

“There were two or three situations with a few talks involving certain teams,” Alonso added.

“We had contacts, but it was not the right time.”

It does appear, though, that Alonso is pining for a Formula 1 return in 2021 and does miss some elements of the sport.

“What I miss about Formula 1 is the precision work with the engineers and the optimisation around the races,” he said.

“But not the travelling, the consecutive races and only one team dominating.”

Alonso will give serious thought to a potential Formula 1 return after his third attempt at clinching the Triple Crown by winning the Indianapolis 500.

He added: “This year I do not want to schedule anything after Indianapolis, but to think properly for 2021.

“I’m not too old to return but I want to reflect on whether I want to return to Formula 1 for some more years.”

There's always that constant reminder that Lewis needs a top car to win. So what did Lewis do with his top Merc car? He won ! I'll never understand why a driver' success should be diminished because he was cursed with a top car? Top car , top driver means top team working together. You can't have one without the other.

There's always that constant reminder that Lewis needs a top car to win. So what did Lewis do with his top Merc car? He won ! I'll never understand why a driver' success should be diminished because he was cursed with a top car? Top car , top driver means top team working together. You can't have one without the other.
    And a good #2. Rubens was the best #2 but Bottas is not far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    And a good #2. Rubens was the best #2 but Bottas is not far behind.
    Very true, Bottas got to challenge Lewis in a few races. He on his own had a few good finishes 2019. You been silent for a while Bob, glad to see you back! Happy New Year to you.

‘Six drivers, including Alonso, could’ve won title in Merc car’

Ex-Formula 1 boss, Flavio Briatore, reckons at least “five or six drivers” could have won the 2019 title in Mercedes’ car, including Fernando Alonso.

The driver versus car debate and what is the biggest contributing factor to success is a regular topic of conversation in Formula 1 and Briatore feels that the strength of the Mercedes W10 would have made it possible for a whole host of drivers to win silverware.

“Mercedes is an invincible battleship,” Briatore told Autosprint magazine.

“At least five or six drivers, including Alonso, would have won the title with their 2019 car.”

Briatore, though, did not want that statement to take anything away from Lewis Hamilton and his achievements.

He added: “But I take no credit away from Hamilton, because you still have to beat the team-mate at your side.”

Briatore also passed judgment on Ferrari’s decision to put both Charles Leclerc and Sebastian Vettel on equal terms heading into the 2020 season in the hope of not complicating matters through team orders, something that led to plenty of on-track squabbling between the pair in 2019.

“It’s right that Leclerc and Vettel are on equal terms, but after five races Ferrari will have to decide who to bet on,” Briatore warned.

Ferrari are very much betting on Leclerc as their future star driver having tied him down to a new long-term contract with the Scuderia until at least the end of the 2024 season.

Vettel, meanwhile, in the final year of his current Ferrari deal, appears to have the first few races of the season to convince the bosses that he is worthy of a contract extension.

Ferrari team principal, Mattia Binotto, has stated his intention of planning his 2021 driver line-up from around the time the Spanish Grand Prix approaches in May.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
    ‘Six drivers, including Alonso, could’ve won title in Merc car’

Ex-Formula 1 boss, Flavio Briatore, reckons at least “five or six drivers” could have won the 2019 title in Mercedes’ car, including Fernando Alonso.

The driver versus car debate and what is the biggest contributing factor to success is a regular topic of conversation in Formula 1 and Briatore feels that the strength of the Mercedes W10 would have made it possible for a whole host of drivers to win silverware.

“Mercedes is an invincible battleship,” Briatore told Autosprint magazine.

“At least five or six drivers, including Alonso, would have won the title with their 2019 car.”

Briatore, though, did not want that statement to take anything away from Lewis Hamilton and his achievements.

He added: “But I take no credit away from Hamilton, because you still have to beat the team-mate at your side.”

Briatore also passed judgment on Ferrari’s decision to put both Charles Leclerc and Sebastian Vettel on equal terms heading into the 2020 season in the hope of not complicating matters through team orders, something that led to plenty of on-track squabbling between the pair in 2019.

“It’s right that Leclerc and Vettel are on equal terms, but after five races Ferrari will have to decide who to bet on,” Briatore warned.

Ferrari are very much betting on Leclerc as their future star driver having tied him down to a new long-term contract with the Scuderia until at least the end of the 2024 season.

Vettel, meanwhile, in the final year of his current Ferrari deal, appears to have the first few races of the season to convince the bosses that he is worthy of a contract extension.

Ferrari team principal, Mattia Binotto, has stated his intention of planning his 2021 driver line-up from around the time the Spanish Grand Prix approaches in May.
    If the rumours of problems with our car's design for 2020 are correct, then Seb may not have the chance to prove himself in the first part of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    If the rumours of problems with our car's design for 2020 are correct, then Seb may not have the chance to prove himself in the first part of the season.
    he's got a tough teammate, so he may NEVER have a chance to prove himself....either with a good or bad car....Charles is a tough cookie...

let;s hope the "not so good performance numbers" rumours about our car are just that, rumours....

only time will tell.....common winter testing....cannot come fast enough
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.